Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Champion's Ball ❯ New Years and New Beginnings ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
don’t own Pokemon. Pokemon USA does.


A/N: Sorry to those people reading this story. I’ve had a huge case of writer’s block and I’ve finally gotten over it. So, on to New Year’s Eve and beyond.


Chapter 12: New Years and New Beginnings



Slowly, Ash woke up the next morning. He glanced over to the alarm clock, which thankfully they didn’t set too early last night, and groaned. It was only 8:15. He rolled over towards Misty and smiled as he saw her sleeping while holding Pikachu. After watching them for a few minutes, he realized going back to sleep was not going to be happening. Reluctantly, he got up, took care of some business, and proceeded to make coffee. While it was brewing, he went out on to the balcony.

Ash watched the waves, early morning sunbathers and swimmers, and the lifeguards as they talked by the main lifeguard station. He looked towards the stadium where he battled Drake and the Hall of Fame next to it. Off to his other side, he could see the shop owners up and down the boardwalk opening for the day. He watched as the Ferris wheel began taking passengers. The coffee pot giving its three beep signal to tell him it was ready was his cue to come back inside.

A soft sigh brought Ash’s attention to the doorway to the bedroom. Misty stood there looking half asleep. “Is it morning already?” she asked as she rubbed her eyes.

“Yeah, I tried to go back to sleep, but it was useless. I didn’t wake you did I?”

Misty yawned and rubbed the back of her neck. “No. Made Coffee?”

Ash nodded and poured them both a cup. They went to the couch and went to watch ‘Wake up, Pummelo!’ As they watched the weather forecast, the phone rang. Ash answered it and was met by a teary- eyed Dawn. “Dawn!” After recognizing she was in the hotel lobby, he continued. “What are you doing here? Weren’t you supposed to be in a contest somewhere this week?”

“Ash, can I come up to your room? I need to…” Dawn could say no more as the tears finally fell.

“Sure. I’m on the top floor. I’ll wait outside the room for you.” He hung up the phone and went back to the couch. Hearing the whole short conversation, Misty just nodded when Ash went to explain. He smiled at her and went to wait for Dawn outside.

About five minutes later, the elevator doors opened letting out a still crying Dawn. After rubbing her eyes, she looked up to see Ash leaning against the door to his room. With a sniffle, she ran up to him and threw her arms around him. He held her for a moment, rubbing her back to comfort her a little. She looked up at him and he asked “What’s wrong, Dawn?”

All she could get out was “Buneary!” before the tears began again. He was confused, but let her into the room and sat her on the couch between him and Misty. Misty touched her shoulder and Dawn looked towards her. She went to ask her what was wrong, but Ash hushed her.

“Misty! Buneary! She…” Was all she got out before started crying heavily again. This time Dawn launched herself into Misty’s arms. As Misty tried to comfort her, Ash thought about Dawn’s Buneary. When they traveled together, about four years ago, Ash remembered that Buneary had a crush on his Pikachu that they didn’t know existed until they had reached the seventh gym in Sinnoh.

A researcher had come across them right before they reached Snowpoint City and had casually asked how long the two Pokemon had been together and asked if they had any eggs together. Of course, this had startled both Ash and Dawn, who shocked the researcher by saying the two Pokemon were just friends. The researcher, who had for a time worked at the Pokemon Day Care, told them that Buneary and Pikachu looked like a Pokemon couple, one who was close to having or just had an egg together. It wasn’t till the researcher brought their attention to it that they realized he was right.

The day Ash and Brock left Dawn was so quick and emotional for them that he didn’t even notice the Pokemon’s reactions. It had been a quick goodbye, as they both found out when they reached they city that the last ships before the hurricane season shut the companies down, would be leaving in about ten minutes. They raced to the port and only had enough time to give each other a hug and wish each other well, before the ships threatened to leave without them.

Hearing that Dawn had calmed down some, Ash looked back toward the two on the couch. Dawn took a pokeball off her belt, enlarged it and held it with both hands. Before Ash could say anything, Dawn began to speak.

“This is Buneary’s pokeball. She’s so sad, so depressed. She hardly eats. Even Brock’s Pokemon food and my Poffins are left untouched. When I let her out of her Pokeball, all she does is sit and sigh. She has no interest in anything anymore.”

Ash looked at the Pokeball as he asked “Why did you come to me?”

“I know what’s wrong with her.” Before he could ask, she answered. “She misses Pikachu. She looks at every one we come across. She’s happy when she sees a Pikachu, but when she finds out it’s not yours, she becomes depressed again. You remember what that researcher told us. They’re a Pokemon couple. They belong together.” She took the ball and placed it in Ash’s hands. “Make her happy again. Even if it breaks my heart. Take her Ash. Let them be together. I know Pikachu feels the same, I just know it.”

Ash looked into Dawn’s eyes, got up and went into the bedroom. After a moment, he came back in with Pikachu in his arms. Pikachu, noticing Dawn, went to her and put his head under her hand for a pet. She smiled at him and rubbed his head. Ash stood next to the couch holding Buneary’s Pokeball. He nodded and shouted “Buneary, come on out!”

The ball opened revealing a sighing, depressed Buneary. She never even registered the different voice asking her to come out. Ash gasped at the sight before him. Dawn wasn’t exaggerating about Buneary. She lifted her head to see Ash standing in front of her. Turning her head slowly she looked towards the couch to see Pikachu sitting next to Dawn. She quickly looked back and forth at Ash and Pikachu and it slowly registered.

Rubbing her eyes, she focused on Pikachu for a moment before smiling and shouting “Buneary!”
Dawn began to cry once again as she saw almost four years of depression just melt away in one instant. Misty put her hand on her shoulder as the two Pokemon reunited. Ash himself smiled as the two snuggled. Pikachu and Ash shared a look before Pikachu and Buneary went into the bedroom.

Misty got up and offered Dawn a cup of coffee. After drying her eyes, Dawn joined the others on the balcony. They talked for a while until Dawn said that she had to catch the noon ship back to Kanto so she could make the Saffron City contest. She told them how nice the man in charge of the contest was. He had actually postponed the contest so she could bring Buneary to Pikachu. After a tearful goodbye to Buneary, Dawn left for the port.

After Dawn left, Ash brought out all his other Pokemon to either meet or reunite with Buneary. They played for a while until it was time to leave to meet Rudy and Kasumi for lunch. Ash put everyone back into their pokeball except for Buneary and Pikachu. Buneary’s ears drooped as she awaited Ash’s next move. She was surprised when Ash just stood at the door staring at her and Pikachu. “Come on you guys! Don’t you want to eat lunch?” When Buneary realized he wasn’t putting her back in her pokeball, she nodded, yelled “Buneary!” and jumped into his arms. He put his finger under her chin and lifted her head up. “Remember, Pikachu doesn’t go into a pokeball, so I don’t expect you to either. Understood?” Buneary happily nodded and jumped out of Ash’s arms.

They met Rudy and Kasumi in the lobby and Ash introduced the new member of his team. After eating and walking along the boardwalk, for what would be the last time, Ash and Misty went back up to the room to relax for a couple of hours. At about six, they began to get ready.

After staring in the closet for five minutes, Misty chose to wear the blue outfit she wore to the Christmas Eve cruise. Ash wore his lightweight suit pants and his black shirt. The party would only be semi formal so they didn’t have to get too fancy. When they went to leave, they realized Pikachu and Buneary weren’t following. It only took a second for Ash to realize what they meant. As Misty grabbed her purse, Ash told the two “We’ll be back about one am. Don’t wait up!”

They met Rudy and Kasumi in the lobby and they made their way to the restaurant. The normally intimate and cozy restaurant was now filled with large tables, seating about fifteen people. They met Brock, Lucy, Jessie, and James at a table towards the back. Ash and Misty explained that the others decided to just spend a quiet night at the hotel. “That’s ok. We’ll have fun without them.” replied Rudy.

The night went quick. It was just like last night except without the added pressure of the announcement. They ate, they danced, and they laughed with their friends. Ash felt like he had just gotten there when the DJ that was playing announced it was five minutes to midnight. The restaurant began to set up for the traditional champagne toast. After pouring the champagne, they began to pass it out. Misty noticed that one of the waitresses was only passing out the drinks on her tray to the few children that were there.

When the waitress got to their table, she proceeded to pass a glass to each one of the group. Misty stopped the waitress by asking “Are you passing out something different to the kids?”

Smiling she replied “Why, yes. Since their underage, we’re giving them sparkling white grape juice instead of champagne.”

“Could I have some of that instead?”

“Sure!”

Before she could run off Jessie yelled “Me too?” The waitress nodded and quickly came back with the two non-alcoholic drinks. The waitress finished passing out the drinks, grabbed one and stood with her co workers just as the DJ spoke again.

“It’s almost time everyone! Let’s keep an eye on that clock!” He directed everyone’s attention to the large grandfather clock that stood next to his DJ booth. It was a minute to twelve. Everyone got more excited as the clock got closer to midnight. Suddenly the DJ’s voice boomed over the speakers and everyone else joined in.

“Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! Happy New Year!”

Couples Kissed and glasses clinked as confetti was thrown around. Ash looked at his friends and loved ones happily celebrating. It made him think about how they all got where they were and what the future would hold. Misty noticed his far away look and shook his shoulder. “Ash?” Startled out of his thoughts, he looked at Misty with a puzzled look. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah. Just thinking.” Misty nodded in acceptance and drew her attention towards Kasumi who had asked a question.

“Hey, guys?” When they all looked at her she continued “Want to go to the New Years celebration at the Pummelo Temple. We could get our New Year’s fortunes at the temple.”

“I almost forgot about that!” Jessie shouted. “I used to do that every year!” Everyone at the table nodded in agreement.

Rudy and Kasumi stopped to say goodbye their friends that owned the restaurant before they all left. Kasumi, knowing the island the best, showed them the way to the temple. As they thought, the temple was crowded. Slowly they made their way to the front of the line and made their offerings and received their fortunes.

They sat under a tall pine tree and stared at each other for a moment. Finally, Kasumi said “Let’s get it over with.” Each member of the group slowly unfolded their fortunes and read them silently to themselves. Smiles broke out on everyone’s faces.

On the way there, they had promised to share their fortunes if good, but say nothing and tie it to the tree if it was bad. Kasumi had told everyone that it had been an Orange Islands tradition to share good fortune. She had expected several of the fortunes to say the same thing (She knew this temple.).

Misty went first. She read off her fortune “A great blessing is bestowed upon you. Relationships, Money and Friendships will all come to your door. An upcoming event during the last quarter of the year will have no complications. All will be well.” Kasumi nearly fainted when she heard the detailed fortune. They were usually only one sentence and very vague.

Jessie piped up with “I got that fortune too!” James smiled at that. James read his to the group next.

“A great blessing is bestowed upon you. You will make great strides in your career this year. An unexpected event will bring you great joy.”

Brock went next and found that Rudy had the same fortune. “A great blessing is bestowed upon you. You will have a great year. Your family and career will both grow this year.”

Lucy read hers next “A great blessing is bestowed upon you. This year will be good in family, friends, and finances.”

Kasumi was next “A great blessing is bestowed upon you. Many changes will happen this year. All will be positive for you. Also, unexpected news will be good news.”

Ash went last. “A great blessing is bestowed upon you. Your career will take off this year. Family and friends will be your greatest asset. Great times are ahead.”

They all pocketed their good fortunes and left the temple. In good spirits, they made their way back to the hotel. In the elevator, they said their good nights and Rudy and Kasumi promised to see everyone off the next day.

Misty opened the door to the room and let out a low “Aww.”. Ash looked in front of her to see Pikachu and Buneary cuddled together on the couch. He looked back at Misty and smiled. Quietly, they made their way to the bedroom. As Misty got ready for bed, Ash took one last look at the newest couple in the living room.

Watching Ash watching the couple brought a smile to her face. She came up behind Ash and put her arms around his waist. Putting her chin on his shoulder, she said “Aren’t they precious?”. He nodded and turned. After looking down at her face for a moment, he leaned down and kissed her. Misty brought her arms up around his neck and leaned closer.

They kissed for a moment until Ash looked at the clock and pulled away. Misty looked up at him with a puzzled look on her face. He pointed to the clock and she realized. The ship back to Pallet Town would be leaving at nine in the morning and it was already 1:50 am. Sadly, she let go of Ash and went to the bed. Ash soon joined her and within minutes they were fast asleep.

The loud buzzing of the alarm clock woke Misty up. Groaning, she stretched and turned off the alarm. “Why did we decide to leave on New Year’s Day?” she whined. Ash chuckled as he looked at the clock. Sadly, for them, after going to bed about two, they had to be up by five.

They had to make sure they had everything and eat a little something before heading for the ship. Noticing that Misty had fallen back asleep, he sighed and shook her awake. “Ash, just a few more minutes? Please?”

“No. Come on. We have to get ready to leave. We only have three hours before we leave for the ship.” Misty nodded and dragged herself to the bathroom. Ash got up and put on the coffeepot and returned to the bedroom.

He gathered his normal black outfit and went into the bathroom. Misty already out of the shower and at the sink, gave Ash a glance as he came in. At the look on his face, she told him “I’m awake now.”. Ash chuckled and got in the shower.

Fifteen minutes later found the couple both at the sink gathering their things and putting them away into their travel bags. They made sure everything was away before shutting off the light and closing the door (so they knew everything was out of there). When they went out to get their coffee, they saw Pikachu and Buneary still asleep on the couch together. They wordlessly agreed to be quiet, get their coffee, and go back into the bedroom to pack the stuff in there.

As they packed, they listened to the radio. Misty and Ash carefully packed their nice clothes back into the dress bags they had come in. Misty carefully put her new earrings and her necklace she got from Ash on Christmas into her purse. Ash used his new backpack to pack everything else. Thankfully for Misty, all her things fit in her backpack perfectly and there was still room in it.

As he saw Misty close her backpack, he gave the room a once over. Seeing they left nothing behind, he went to go to Misty, but a low, mumbled “Bun, Bun, Bun.” caught his attention. He looked towards the door and saw a sleepy Buneary at the door. She rubbed her eyes and looked towards Ash. She smiled and hopped into his arms. “Buneary!”

Smiling down at his newest Pokemon, he teased “Did you and Pikachu have fun last night?” Embarrassed, Buneary pulled up her fur to cover her face.

Misty came over and slapped him on the arm. “Don’t tease her like that, Ash. Come here, hun.” She lowered her fur and jumped into Misty’s arms. Pikachu coming in got their attention and after Buneary ran back to Pikachu, Misty looked over the room herself. After she put her backpack and dress bag out by the door to the room, Ash copied her. Misty went back in the bedroom to collect their two coffee cups and to turn off the radio.

As she shut the door, Ash turned on the T.V. Realizing it was only six, they decided to leave the room early and go get breakfast after they finished packing the things in the living room. It wasn’t much, just a few odds and ends. As Misty packed, Ash called Rudy to let them know that they were going to eat.

Rudy asked him to hold for a second. When he came back, he asked how long it would take for them to be ready. Ash told him it would take about a half a hour. Rudy responded by asking “Would you mind if we went with you?”

Ash nodded and they agreed to meet in the lobby. He made three more calls: to James’ room, his mother’s room and to Tracey’s room. Ash told all three people about his plans and that they would meet them all at the ship about 8:30 to get themselves settled in their rooms. Everyone agreed and Ash went to help Misty.

A half a hour later everything was packed and Misty was putting their coffee cups in the dish drainer after she had washed them. As she made her way to the front door, she stopped at the door to the balcony. She looked out at the waves and the boardwalk. The last two weeks were the best in her life. Ash’s voice interrupted her thoughts. “Mist? You comin’?” Misty turned to him and nodded.

She grabbed her things and walked out of the room. As Ash pushed the button to the elevator, Misty took one last look at the room. With a huge smile, she shut the door and ran to the elevator.

They met Rudy and Kasumi in the lobby and decided to go to the Diglett Diner for Ash and Misty’s last breakfast in the Orange Islands. Kasumi hailed a cab and they were off.

After giving their orders to the waitress, they sat to wait for their food. Rudy watched Buneary as she sat next to Pikachu. He recognized Buneary’s behavior and told himself that he would have to talk to Ash before he left. They got their food and quickly ate. When it came time to pay, they had an argument over who would pay. Rudy won and triumphantly walked out of the diner. Kasumi hailed another cab and they made their way to the ship.

Everyone was waiting by the entrance to the ship. Upon seeing Buneary, Brock was in shock. He could tell it was Dawn’s; it was wearing the dress with the heart on it. Ash quickly explained the situation. Brock understood and bent down to talk to Buneary and Pikachu.

Seeing the opportunity, Rudy went over to Ash and pulled him aside. “Ash, I just wanted to give you a heads-up. Keep an eye on Buneary.” He was slightly embarrassed to ask, but he had to. “Have you left those two alone yet?” At Ash’s nod, he continued. “I’ve had loads of experience with Pokemon and I think you might be seeing an egg soon.”

Ash’s eyes nearly popped out of his sockets as he listened to Rudy. “Y-you think?” Rudy nodded and he chuckled as Ash said “Go get ‘em Pikachu! It only took you one night!”

Misty had heard the two boys’ conversation and smiled. She looked at her watch and sighed. They had to get on the ship now if they wanted to be back on the deck when the ship left. After sighing again, she made her announcement. “Hey guys, we need to get on board now.”

After everyone else said goodbye to Rudy and Kasumi, Ash and Misty lingered. They had grown so close these past two weeks, ever since Rudy picked them up. Smiling, Kasumi hugged Misty and Ash tightly, making them promise to call as soon as they got settled back in Pallet Town. Rudy, also smiling, gave Misty a hug and put his hand out to Ash. Ash shook it for a second before pulling him into a brief hug.

As Ash let go of Rudy, they grabbed their bags and ran for the ship waving behind them. They waved back and watched as they disappeared into the ship. Ten minutes later, the ship’s horn blew and Kasumi quickly scanned the ship for their friends. She spotted them at the very back of the ship. After nudging Rudy with her elbow, she pointed to the large group of friends and family waving excitedly to the pair on the dock.

The ship began to pull out of the dock. Ash put his arm around Misty as they first watched Rudy and Kasumi disappear, then Pummelo Island, then Trovita Island, and finally Valencia Island. When there was nothing but water around them, Misty turned to Ash.

“I’ll miss the Orange Islands. So much has happened here. This trip has changed our whole lives.” Ash smiled, grabbed her hand and laced their fingers together. They walked around the deck in silence, just admiring the ocean. Eventually, they made their way to the front of the ship.

As they watched a school of Luvdisc swim just ahead of the boat, Misty put her arm around Ash’s waist and leaned into him. He smiled and responded to her earlier comment. “If you think a lot happened in the Orange Islands, just wait until we get home to Pallet Town.”

All of a sudden, Misty erupted in laughter. Looking down made him start cracking up as well. After a couple of minutes, they calmed down. Placing his hand on her cheek, he leaned down and kissed her softly.

They kissed for a couple of minutes before looking back at the ocean once again with both of their minds racing about their future.