Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Forgotten Son ❯ Weak ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“AAAAaaah!”
 
With a yell Luke jumped out of his bed, his face sweating.
 
“Oh… it was just that dream again…. I guess I should have expected it…. After all, it's my… birthday….”
 
The as of today fifteen-year-old boy sobbed into his arms. Along with his dream, many other painful memories surfaced. He remembered the shock his family felt when his dad left to be a part of team rocket…. The joy of getting his first pokemon, a small blue-and-yellow cyndaquil, on his tenth birthday, and the horror when Griffe ran away with it… he remembered searching for Griffe for six months before giving up… when he was twelve and team rocket disbanded, and the fear he felt of where his dad was…..
 
...And then he remembered Griffe himself… Griffe always had well-cut and neat black hair, as opposed to Luke's untidy hair. He'd always talk about when he was big enough to train pokemon, and all the fun he'd have with Luke….. tears formed in Luke's eyes as he realized that by now, if Griffe was still alive then he'd be ten… he'd have just left home with his own starting pokemon….
 
This sadness turned to hatred, as he recalled his father, whose greed forced all of this to happen. He gritted his teeth and punched his bed.
 
His chance of going back to sleep were gone, so he pushed himself upright and yawned, scratching his head and blinking his moist, swollen eyes. A frown hung on his face as he pushed open the door to his home; which coincided with the door to his room. He lived in a one-room house on the route between Violet City, a city on top of a hill near the middle of the region, and Azalea Town, a small town with bright colors and nice people. Luke, whose profession didn't bring him much money, was too poor to buy a home in azalea town, so he settled for right next to it.
 
After leaving his home, he circled around to the back where he built a shed himself, a shed only a little smaller than his house. Within it he found the pokemon who he'd acquired over the years; for now, just a green lizard treecko and a white cow pokemon miltank; an oddity as most were pink.
 
Luke ran a small day-care center. New trainers fresh out of Violet City would often come upon his home, and give him their weak pokemon to watch over as they were too lazy to care for their own pokemon. It sickened Luke; the way they abandoned weak pokemon reminded him of his father, and in the same way he felt a closeness to these abandoned pokemon, as he felt just as they did. Oftentimes their trainer would never return, and Luke would set the pokemon free.
 
There was one exception: the treecko. Luke had tried to set it free, but for some reason it never actually left. There were some things that separated this treecko from its peers; it was unique in that it attacked with a long, hard, sharpened leaf blade, equipping it like a sword and using it as a weapon. Not only that, but it had an incredible bloodlust.
 
As for miltank, Luke found it near Olivine City close to the time Team Rocket disbanded. Luke was beat up and battered; he had traveled an unbelievable distance without any supplies; he lived off of thievery and other such things until then. As he collapsed outside the city, the miltank found him and nursed him back to health with its milk. Evidently miltank have strong maternal feelings for children. For this reason it never left Luke, even though it technically was not under his ownership; it worried about him dearly, treating him as its own son.
 
Both pokemon were awake, and appeared to be simply sitting together. Upon Luke's entrance miltank gave a sad moo and embraced the boy, knowing right away that today was his least favorite day of the year. Treecko, on the other hand, couldn't care less. It really didn't appear to like Luke much at all, despite his efforts.
 
Spotting a mareep galloping out near the house, treecko felt suddenly possessed and stood up, dashing out the door and suddenly attacking the electric sheep with its blade of grass.
 
“Treecko, get back here!”
 
There was no response as the pokemon was attacked back by electricity from the small sheep.
 
“Oh, for the love of- Kenshin, get back here!!”
 
`Kenshin' was the only name to which treecko responded to, named such by his previous trainer. The treecko turned and growled, hesitating then walking back, casting its opponent a glance that struck the deepest fear into it.
 
“Treeck- er, Kenshin, you know I don't like you to battle. You've done a good job of staying out of trouble for the last month, don't break it now!”
 
The treecko looked up and bared its teeth. Luke's will for his pokemon not to fight caused a great deal of tension between him and Kenshin, who wanted to fight all the time. The force-feeding of pacifism onto the pokemon lead to the storing up of its bloodlust, until it exploded all at once and attacked random pokemon. To fight this pokemon's nature was very difficult to do.
 
Miltank squeezed Luke even tighter, wishing for him to calm down and stop yelling; it was afraid Kenshin would harm him. It gave a chipper moo to try and cheer up Luke, but today not much would be able to do that.
 
After some time of calming down together, the trio did their daily ritual of going up to Violet city for breakfast, which Luke could just barely afford, and returned back to Luke's home by noon.
 
They came home to see some kid knocking on Luke's door. From his backside Luke could see the kid had long, red hair; very untidy red hair.
 
“Um… excuse me sir?”
 
The boy turned around, and Luke jumped back.
 
The boy had terrifying eyes, which seemed to be overflowing with…. Something. Whatever that something was, it scared the heck out of Luke, and he barely managed the courage to continue his sentence.
 
“H-hello, sir, were you going to drop off a pokemon for day care?”
 
The boy raised an eyebrow.
 
“Yes, I will. I suppose you're the owner?”
 
“Yup, I am. Which pokemon will I be taking care of and for how long?”
 
“Well, I have this pokemon- called magikarp.”
 
He released a large red fish, which bounced helplessly on the ground.
 
“I hate it. It's weak.” He said this with a certain bitterness.
 
“You… you hate this pokemon because it's weak?” Luke responded, shocked.
 
“Yeah. You got a problem with that?”
 
“Well, yes, I do. Not liking a pokemon because of its strength is a terrible thing. If you train with it a lot, I'm sure it'll get-“
 
“I don't have TIME to train a weak pokemon.”
 
“What a terrible thing to say...”
 
“Listen, should I give you my pokemon or would you rather I force it onto you?!” The kid said, grabbing Luke by the scruff of his neck and staring into Luke with his cold eyes.
 
“G-giving it to me's fine.” Luke's courage ran out rather quickly.
 
“Good.” He shoved Luke to the ground.
 
“Now, I never want to see this weakling ever again.”
 
He kicked his fish and it landed into Luke's lap with a painful groan. Tears began forming in Luke's eyes as he looked at the abused pokemon. Without a word the kid walked away, his long hair trembling in the wind. He looked back one more time, however.
 
“I hope you don't plan to win any battles like that. You're training your pokemon to be weak, you're letting them get too close. I learned that getting close to a pokemon is painful- the hard way. I hope that you change your ways soon.”
 
And then he continued off into the distance.