Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ When Hearts Are Aglow ❯ Encounters ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokémon. Pokémon and all of its characters belong to Satoshi Tajiri and Nintendo. I do own the plot of this story, though.
Chapter 4: Encounters
Misty was sitting at the dinner table with a pen in hand. She hesitated about the first lines of the letter since she wasn't quite sure what the message Ash wanted to deliver was.
 
“Ok... so how should I start this?” she asked him.
“Well, you can start with Dear Gary...”
“Oh, really?” she asked sarcastically. “Then what?”
I'm secretly in love with you, I think you're awesome and I wanna meet you... yours truly... signed by somebody.”
Misty grimaced. “Ash, I don't know if that sounds too desperate or is just too short. Don't you think Gary would most likely ignore this person?”
“Yeah, well... I'm just kidding of course.” He scratched his head in an attempt to not make it noticeable that he actually meant what he'd said. “I mean, if you're going to confess your feelings, there definitely has to be more to it than a few words, right?”
Misty raised an eyebrow. “I think you just have no idea about this sort of things.”
“Are you saying I can't be romantic?”
She rolled her eyes. “I am not...” she started her sentence, but then she changed her mind. “Well yes, yes I am.”
“Then you don't know me at all!”
“Oh, come on!”
“Well, maybe I can't be romantic because I never had the chance to be so!”
 
There was silence. Ash suddenly felt quite awkward, and Misty knew exactly what he meant by those last words. She had been lately refusing him whenever he tried to be sweet to her. He had no chance to show her what he was capable of since she would only stop him from doing so. She felt guilty for that, and she was so uncomfortable she didn't even notice that Ash was no longer there. She wondered what would be crossing his mind at the moment. But that was not the time to think about it; she had made a deal and she would stick to it. For someone like her a love letter would take no longer than a quarter hour.
 
--
 
When she was done, she started to pack up to go to Pallet Town, and Ash called the professor to tell him they were leaving the next morning, but someone else answered the phone.
 
“Hello?”
“Tracy? It's Ash.”
“Oh, hey Ash! It's been so long since we last talked. How are you guys doing?”
“We're fine. How about you?”
“Fine, thanks. So what's up?”
“Just calling to let Professor Oak know we're going tomorrow to Pallet.”
“Ok, great. Professor Oak is not here now, but I'll tell him when he's back.”
“Where is he?”
“I don't know, really. He's been going out quite often, and he doesn't say where he goes.”
“Well, that's strange.”
“You tell me. He might have a girlfriend or something.”
“You're kidding,” Ash said almost choking. “Professor Oak has a girlfriend?”
“I'm not sure. But thinking about it, that wouldn't be a surprise. You know he lost his wife many years ago, so why wouldn't he?”
“Yes, you're right.”
“Hey, did you know Brock is here in Pallet?”
“Yeah. Misty told me. She said Lily and him are going together to the party. Kind of a date, I guess.”
“Right... wait a minute...” Ash heard how a Jigglypuff was asking Tracy for something. “Well, I guess I'm a bit busy Ash. Let's keep talking tomorrow.”
“Sure, see you then, Tracy.”
“Bye.”
 
Ash hung up the phone. Tonight he was on charge of the food, so he went to the kitchen to prepare something to eat, where Misty was feeding some pokémon. Ignoring the earlier discussion, she took the letter she had previously written from her pocket and gave it to Ash to read it, which he thought couldn't be any better. With her Politoed sitting on her lap, Misty then started to call some of her neighbours to ask if any of them could look after the gym while they were gone. Finally an old friend from the block agreed to help her with it, just before Ash announced dinner was ready.
 
--
 
It was 21st when Ash and Misty left Cerulean City and headed for Pallet Town. They took a bus that took them as near as possible to Pallet's centre, and then they walked for about an hour. It could have been a tiring journey for anyone, considering they also carried their bags. But not for them. They were so used to this it felt like a simple walk.
Ash was eager to see his mother again. The first thing they did was visiting her, but apparently she wasn't home, since someone else opened the door, surprising them.
 
“Lily!”
“Misty! Ash, what a surprise. How are you?”
“We're fine,” Ash said. “But what are you doing here?”
“Ash! My old friend, how have you been?” a familiar voice asked.
“Brock! Hey, it's great to see you.”
“Thanks, the same to you. What were you both doing all this time?”
“Well, if I started I would never finish...” Misty said happily.
“But don't stay out there, come on in!”
“Sure, this is still my home, isn't it?” Ash asked.
“It sure is. But I think we're gonna share it during Christmas.”
 
They all smiled and got inside. They talked about the things they had been doing and how Lily met Brock without anyone's notice. Apparently they became very close friends. Somewhat later they heard the sound of keys from the other side of the door, and Ash knew exactly who that was. His eyes shone like when he was a little child, whenever his mother came back from shopping or after a day of tea and chat with her neighbours.
 
“Mom!” he said almost shouting, and welcomed her with a warm hug.
“Oh, my! Ash, you're back!”
“Hey... so how are you?”
“Aw, I missed you so much.”
“Me too.”
He let her go, and only then she saw the others were there too.
“Oh, hello everyone.”
“Good morning, Mrs. Ketchum,” they all replied as in a chorus.
Delia put her attention on one at a time.
“Hi, Misty. How are you?”
“I'm fine, thanks. And how is your Mr. Mime?”
“Oh, right...!” she said surprised as if she had forgotten something. She opened fully the door which had been ajar since she entered the house, and there he was, poor Mr. Mime, carrying the bags of food for the next two days. “Sorry about that, Mimy.”
Mr. Mime didn't mind and went straight to the kitchen, he just wanted to get rid of the heavy stuff.
“Well...” she tried to ignore what had just happened, and continued to ask. “And how's work going?”
“It's going great, mom,” Ash answered. “We have hundreds of battles.”
She grinned. “I see... I'm glad you're having a good time, hon.” Then she turned to the other girl. “And you must be Lily.”
“Yes, I am. Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Ketchum.”
“Pleased to meet you too... I suppose you're staying here for the next days?”
“Oh, no, I'm staying at a friend's.”
“Ok, but remember you're always welcome,” Delia told her flashing a smile.
“Thank you,” Lily nodded.
“How about you, Misty?”
“I guess I'm staying here.” She said.
“Good, I'd love to have you all here... Brock, now you'll have some more company.”
“Yeah, that will be great.” He said “But it's a pity that Lily's not staying with us.”
“Never mind, Brock. I'll come to visit you,” Lily said.
 
They all had lunch, and talked about the many things that had been happening with everyone. It was a lovely meal, with that familiar and warm feeling one can have only at home. Ash remembered something Misty had told him once. When you are hanging out with your friends, no matter how long it had been without seeing each other, it will feel as if you've never been apart. And how right she was when she said that, he thought.
When it was time to do the dishes, someone else joined the party. Satsuki, Lily's friend, arrived to the Ketchum's residence. But she wasn't alone, she brought her younger sister with her, who was immediately recognized by Misty.
 
“Sakura!”
“Misty, hi! What are you doing here?”
“This is Ash's house.”
“Oh, right, I remember now. Tracy told me so when we walked around the place.”
“Tracy? You two are very close friends, aren't you?”
They both started to laugh. Lily and Satsuki greeted each other and looked surprised at their sisters.
 “Hey, don't tell me you know each other,” Lily said.
“Actually, they do,” Ash interrupted. “Brock and I met them too when we were in Johto.”
“Oh, I see,” she said.
“Lily, I came to pick you up,” Satsuki said. “Are you coming?”
“Yes, but hold on a second while I go to look for my things.”
“Sure... Sakura, do you want Misty to come with us?”
“Yes, that would be great! Do you want to, Misty?” Sakura asked.
“Maybe tomorrow. I'm a little tired.”
“But I mean you can spend the next days at my house, instead of here.”
“Oh... I don't know. Are you sure?”
“Yeah, we'll have lots of fan, I promise,” Sakura said smiling happily at her.
“Go, Misty. We can all meet tomorrow and go out,” Ash told her.
“Ok. Let me go for my bag,” she said. “Mrs. Ketchum, Brock, I'm sorry I can't stay much longer with you.”
“Don't worry about it, we'll survive,” Brock joked.
Misty bit her lower lip, but giggled too. “Right.”
 
The girls left, and Ash and Brock decided to go for a walk. They went along the open country and sat down on the grass under a pair of trees. Brock bowed his head and smiled as wanting to speak about something specific:
 
“You know, Ash. I think I want her...”
“Who are you talking about?”
“Lily.”
“Oh, really? You like every girl you see,” Ash said, disregarding him.
“I know, but I mean it this time. I liked all those girls because they are beautiful, but this is different. Now I can only think about her.”
“So you mean... you're in love with her?”
“Yes, that's exactly it. I know you may not understand me, but I really feel there's no other than her now, she's so... well... unique.”
“Brock, I do know how you feel... I think.”
“What? Don't tell me you like Lily too!”
Ash laughed. “Of course not. It's someone else.”
“Seriously? Do I know her?”
 
Ash didn't answer. He just looked at Brock with some blush on his cheeks and a timid smile. Brock nodded in understanding, and thought to himself that it was about time. As Ash was still silent, Brock continued the conversation.
 
“It's Misty, isn't she?”
Ash sighed. “Yes, it's her.”
“I knew it. Well, tell me about it.”
“I don't know what to say, Brock. It's so strange, because... we have always been friends... I didn't understand what was happening to me until a few months ago. When I realized I wanted to be yet closer to her, and cross the friendship barrier we've had for years...”
“And you never told her about it?”
“Well... no. But... I think she might know... a little. I mean, I'm not sure if she noticed it too, but our relationship isn't one of simple friends anymore, I can tell you that.”
“And how's that?”
 
Ash told his friend about the many times that he played with Misty tickling each other laughing uncontrollably. The times when they walked down the street holding hands, and some other things like that. But he didn't mention the discussions they'd been recently having because he knew they would end pretty soon. Brock came into realization that Ash was not the only one who was in love. Based on what Ash was telling him, he knew Misty most probably liked him too. Still, he didn't want to tell his friend about it, because he thought Ash should find it out by himself.
 
When they arrived back home, they were surprised to find Delia standing in the middle of the living room, quiet, as if she had been waiting for them to return.
 
Brock whispered to Ash. “What did you do now?”
Ash narrowed his eyes to him. “Nothing... I think.”
“Ash...” Delia called.
“Yes?” he asked, before gulping. Her eyes were shining, but at the same time she seemed a bit worried, and he wondered why.
“Can I talk to you in private? It won't take long.”
“Sure.”
 
Brock had to wait for them downstairs, while Ash and his mother went to her bedroom. What she had to tell him was probably something very important.