Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ When Hearts Are Aglow ❯ Moving On ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokémon. Pokémon and all of its characters belong to Satoshi Tajiri and Nintendo.
 
Chapter 5: Moving On
 
Ash was eager to know what was going on and walked behind his mother in silence until they reached her private quarters. The room was decorated with a flowery wallpaper and transparent curtained windows that led to a little balcony through which the sunlight bathed the place. After closing the door behind them she sat down on the edge of her bed, and Ash followed suit, the mystery of the situation eating at him.
 
“I'm sorry I brought you here and you had to leave Brock behind, but there's something I've been wanting to tell you,” she said.
“It's ok, he won't mind. But what is it, mom? Is something wrong?” He noticed her hesitating before she continued talking.
“Ash, you know... well... it's been a long time since your father died.”
Ash startled for a second but then lowered his head. The topic took him by surprise, and it was always saddening to be reminded of the parental figure he had lost so long ago, but he wanted to keep the conversation going and nodded at Delia. “Yes,” he muttered.
“I know how much you miss him, and believe me, I miss him so much too...” Silence fell over them. When she knew her son would not respond to her words, she gained the courage to continue. “I've been feeling... alone these past few years.”
Ash's head tilted up. “Alone? Is it because I'm always travelling? I'm sorry, I can-”
“No, you have nothing to do with this, hon,” she interrupted him. “I'm not talking about just any kind of company... I'm talking about someone who could stand by me the same way your dad did.”
“As... in a couple?”
She smiled a little. “Yes, exactly. I love your father till this very day, but that doesn't mean I have to grieve for him my entire life. I'm still alive and I have to move on, don't you think?”
“Sure, sure, that's true,” he agreed.
“Ash, what I'm going to say is very important to me and I hope you understand.”
Ash was digging his nails into his jeans. “Mom, I'm dying with anticipation here. Just say it already!”
Delia couldn't help but laugh at his distress, her son would always be the impatient kind. She decided to drop the bomb. “Well, for a couple of months now... I've been seeing someone else.”
“What?” he asked, astonished. “Is that true?” He narrowed his eyes. “Are you kidding me?”
“No, Ash. I'm not kidding. Is it so hard to believe?”
He thought about it for a moment. “...Well, no. Not really, I mean... well, it is kinda shocking, though.” He looked into her eyes and noticed her uneased expression. He grinned. “But I'm happy for you, mom,” he reassured her. “I'm glad you told me this, it's great news.”
Her smile came back, wider than before. Both of her hands took one of his as she said, “Oh, Ash. I'm glad you're taking it so well. I was scared you might not accept it. Thank you so much, son.”
“Well, why wouldn't I take it well? I only want the best for you, mom. And if this makes you happy...” Delia was about to say something but he spoke first. “So, who is he?” He was in a totally different mood now and his spirit of curious boy was back.
“You'll know that at the Christmas party, Ash. I promise.”
“What? Why can't you just tell me now?”
“Well, can you keep a secret?” she asked.
“Sure,” he said, his eyes growing big.
“So can I,” she responded, winking an eye at him.
“Oh, man!” He protested as he heard her giggle. But he soon joined her at it, though. Not long ago, he had done the same thing to Misty. Now he remembered who he had heard it from originally.
 
Ash was soon downstairs again and proceeded to tell the news to Brock as his mother began the preparations for the evening meal. Had their conversation lasted half a minute longer, they would have been interrupted by the knocks at the door. When the oldest of the pair opened it he was rewarded with a familiar face.
 
“Tracy!” Ash and Brock said in unison.
“Hi, guys. I heard you were home already, Ash, and I thought I should visit.”
“Yeah, we arrived this morning,” Ash said. Brock and him moved to the left so their guest could get inside.
“So how's everything?”
“Just fine... nothing new since we last talked. Did you know anything about Professor Oak's mysterious friend?”
“Nothing but the fact that they went out on a date this morning.”
“Wow, now we have two people to meet: his girlfriend, and mom's boyfriend.”
“Your mother's boyfriend?!”
“Yes, she has just told me about it, but I still don't know who the guy is.”
Brock had been silently listening to them as his thoughts worked around the matter. “Wait a second!” he said in a loud tone. “So you're saying that both Professor Oak and Mrs. Ketchum have new partners?”
Tracy felt like kicking himself. “Of course! I should have known!”
“I don't understand,” Ash said confused. He was looking from one boy to the other. “What's going on, guys?”
 
Brock and Tracy exchanged looks as they silently agreed on not telling Ash about what they suspected. If Mrs. Ketchum was actually dating Professor Oak, he should learn about it from them first and not from his wiser friends. It would be the right thing to keep their mouths shut for the moment. Tracy said something quickly to dismiss the subject.
 
“Nothing, it's just an interesting coincidence, don't you think?”
“Well, it sure is. But I thought you knew something else.”
“I don't know what made you think so, Ash,” Brock said.
 
Tracy was invited to spend the night over at the Ketchums'. It was a boys-only pajama party later on when they were all in their respective beds before surrendering to sleep as they chatted enthusiastically about girls. Ash and Brock got Tracy up to date with what they had talked about earlier, about one of them liking Lily, the other one liking Misty. But to their surprise, Tracy told them that he was also developing some kind of relationship with Sakura and, unlike Ash and Brock, at least he had succeeded on asking her out a couple of times already. He also told them he was planning on telling her about his feelings soon, which made Ash think about his own dilemma.
 
Misty and him had been very close friends for years now. How would she react if she knew he was falling in love with her? Would she jump in his arms? Would she run away? Would she just turn him down and leave him to his misery? No. He knew Misty; she wasn't one to hurt others' feelings if she could help it. He would have to gather up his courage and confess it all eventually. He could only hope for the best, but get ready for the worst just in case. If things didn't turn out the way he expected them, at least, with time, their friendship could go back to normal... Right?
 
The next morning, Mrs. Ketchum was nowhere to be found, but Brock saw the sticky note on the fridge informing them that she wouldn't be back until noon. However, it was two hours after that when she finally showed up. Ash was the only one home at the moment; Tracy was at the cinema with Sakura and Brock had gone to the town market. She went upstairs to her bedroom and, some minutes later, she called for her son to join her for yet an other conversation. This time, when Ash arrived at the doorway, he spotted a square lavender box lying on the bed behind his mother.
 
“What is it, mom? What do you need?” he asked her.
“Come in, sit,” she said patting the bed.
Ash sighed but did as he was told. “Is this about what you told me yesterday? You know, you could just say it all at once instead of giving me a peace of information each day.”
Delia raised an eyebrow. “Ash, you don't even know what I'm going to say.”
He laughed and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment, “Yeah, right.”
She rolled her eyes and continued. “Well, I've been thinking...” she paused for some seconds. “We have talked about moving on and, you'll see, in order to do so I think it's time I pass this to you.” She took the square box in her hands and held it in front of Ash. “I've had it for years, it originally belonged to your paternal grandmother.”
 
Ash studied the object before grabbing it from his mother. She nodded once and motioned for him to open it to see what was kept inside. An antique, white pearl necklace was revealed, the finesse of each big sphere made it the perfect accessory for the most demanding, elegant lady. Ash didn't say anything at first, he just stared in awe at the jewel. It was breath-taking.
 
“Beautiful, isn't it?” Delia asked. Ash only nodded in agreement. “Your father gave it to me long ago.”
“This must be priceless for you.”
She raised an eyebrow and took a deep breath in. “It is priceless, indeed. And it means a lot to me, too... But I want you to have it now.”
Ash frowned. “Uhm... well, it's nice and all but I wouldn't wear it.”
His mother laughed out loud. “I wasn't expecting you to, silly.”
“...Oh.”
“You'll see, this is a family jewel from your father's side. Someday there will be someone special for you to whom you could give it as a gift. Until then, please keep it safe. And make sure you won't regret giving it away once you think you have found that person. If it turns out being the wrong one, there might be no return of the necklace.”
 
Ash was speechless, there were many thoughts dancing around in his head. He nodded in understanding.
 
“Well, this was about it. I'll be downstairs doing the laundry if you need me,” she informed him.
“Uh... sure.” His mother stood up and started to walk away but he suddenly called her attention again. “Mom?”
She turned to him. “Yes?”
“...Thank you.”
She smiled at her son. Ash was a grown teenager by now but he could still be adorable. “You're welcome,” she replied softly, and finally left the room.
 
Ash remained silent, staring at the precious jewel in his hands. He remembered the words of his mother, someday there will be someone special for you, and immediately Misty's image invaded his mind. Delia had no idea that the day she talked about had already arrived.
He imagined Misty wearing the necklace, and her possible reaction towards the whole situation, once he gifts it to her. It would be a great opportunity to confess his feelings, and finally unburden himself of all the stress it had been causing him to keep them as a secret.
Still, there were certain things that made him hesitate about telling her. If he did, he would finally know how she feels in return. But if it wasn't actually reciprocal, then... No, he thought. He shouldn't, couldn't let his fears prevent him from doing it. If he didn't tell her, then he would never see the end of it. Misty had to know the truth, and she would have to know it soon, or else Ash would be consumed by it.
 
His train of thought was suddenly interrupted when he heard the main door open, and for a moment his stomach clenched with doubt and dread as his newfound courage drifted away. He quickly got off the bed and took the box to put it in a safe place in his own room. A second after he was done Brock entered the place as well. Ash needed to talk and get some advise, and he felt relieved to see his friend arrive at the right time.
 
“Hey, Brock. Can I talk to you for a minute?” he asked him.
“Yeah, sure Ash.”
“Well, if you were me, what would you do? Do you think I should tell her or not?”
“You mean Misty?”
“Yes.”
“I think you should-”
“Because I really wanna tell her,” Ash interrupted. “But if she didn't feel the same, I wouldn't like to know.”
“So why don't you-?”
“Anyway, sooner or later I'll know, right? I mean, she could go out with someone else and that would be it. The thing is, I know she has been asked out on dates and she always rejected the invitations. I suppose that's because none of those guys were the one she likes.”
“Maybe-”
“Besides, if I got this done and over with I could stop dwelling on it, knowing the truth, whatever it may be.”
“Sure, then-”
“I should make up my mind and get ready to do it, right?”
“Right, and-”
“Great! It's all decided now. And thank you very much, Brock. I couldn't have taken the decision if it wasn't for your help.”
“...Whenever.”
 
Ash was definitely decided to say all the truth. Though he could receive lots of bad things as an answer, he only thought about the good ones, and didn't really take a long time to call her. Immediately after Brock left the room, he went downstairs to use the videophone and invite her to go to his house.
 
“Oh, hi Ash! I was just about to call you. Satsuki agreed to invite you all for dinner here tonight.”
“Sounds great. Brock is somewhere around, but Tracy hasn't arrived yet, he's still with Sakura, so I'll tell them later.”
“You know, I think they really like each other,” she said smiling.
“Yeah, me too.” He only hoped it was the same for Misty and him.
“So, what were you calling for?”
“Well...” he hesitated, but quickly came up with an answer. “I was just a bit bored and I wanted to speak about anything.”
“Fine. Have you sent Gary's letter yet?”
His eyes grew big for a second, and Misty could swear she also heard him gasp. “Oh no, I totally forgot about it!”
“What? You had enough time, Ash, what have you been doing?”
“I don't know, I guess I'll have to go now. Do you wanna come?”
She sighed. “I'm sorry, I can't. There are some things I have to do first.”
“Ok, nevermind... See you tonight, then.”
“See you,” she said, before her image on the videophone disappeared.
 
How could he have forgotten about his own revenge joke? He'd better send the letter soon or everything would have been in vain. He didn't invite Misty to his house because he thought it would be better to give her the necklace that night. So now that he had some free time before lunch, he would try to pay a little visit to Gary's mail box without being seen, and why not, buy some Christmas presents. He hadn't thought about what to buy to everyone, except for Misty. She wouldn't resist to his present, he was sure. He had been hiding it for a while now, not telling a soul about it, fearing that the information might leak and reach her knowledge. He wouldn't forgive himself if that happened. So he took the letter and some of his money and left the house to do what he needed to do, while anticipating the events to come at night.