Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ When It All Falls Down ❯ Stikes the Great ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
As Alaina screamed, the monster slowly closer. It literally had no shape, just that of a gigantic blob, and a horrible odor emitted from it. Kasey grabbed Alaina’s arm and yanked her until they stood side by side. “What is that?!” Kasey screamed, mortified.

As it moved, the bushes and even some of the trees began to wither and die. Jacoby looked at the terrified girls, and decided on a reckless act to protect them from this Pokemon. He opened his mouth as wide as he could, and a weak but critical hit Water Gun shot out.

The giant let out a terrible cry as it was hit, and a visible gas wreaked from it’s body. Both girls covered their mouths and noses, but it was useless. Kasey fainted, and Alaina was brought to her knees.

Sonny squirmed free of Kasey’s limp grasp. “Charmander! Char, char!” He tugged at her arm. “She’s not moving! She’s not moving!” Less fearful now, he turned and automatically breathed out an Ember. The Pokemon slightly recoiled, startled by the brightness of the fire, but then continued to move forward.

“That smell… it’s horrid! Almost as if it were a…” Jacoby and Sonny, with shock, finally realized what Pokemon it was.

“But what would a Muk be doing in the forest?!” Sonny whimpered out loud. “Muuuuuk…” the giant dark purple Pokemon uttered.

Alaina’s eyes welled up with tears, her surroundings closing in on her. Her vision was now blurred, her breathing labored. The smell had gotten to her, and she too, collapsed.

Jacoby and Sonny jumped at the sound of a heavy ‘thump’ on the ground, and realized the other human was out cold as well. Jacoby began to get nervous.

What to we do now?” he asked Sonny as the feeling of nausea hit him.

“What do you mean, ‘what do we do’? We fight him off, of course! Or would you prefer to leave them behind and run for it?” Sonny asked, clearly trying to challenge Jacoby.

No, I never said that! But how are we-” A tree fell and would have smashed Jacoby into the ground if the orange reptile hadn’t Tackled him.

“Muuuuukkk…” it moaned again. “Foolish… children…” it finally spoke. “You are… a disgrace to… your kind”. The Muk had the voice of a tired old man, and continued.

Siding with… humans… as if they were… companions. Disgusting…”, he wheezed out the last part and hacked out a small blob of slime.

Jacoby winced, and Sonny spoke up. “You don’t know nothin’ about these humans, old timer! They have done nothing wrong to you, us, or any other kind!” “

Do not… speak to me… in such a manner…”
he wheezed again. “And I am no… old timer… I am Stikes… the Great…”

“Well, Sir Stikes, I wouldn’t exactly think that your type that usually live in sewers or abandoned and tainted houses, wherever you came from, would be in a place like this.” Jacoby said. As long as they kept Stikes talking, he wouldn’t harm the humans.

“You think… I came here on… my own accord… you idiot? I… have no other… path to go through… than the forest. I do not… inhabit here… I am in… search… of a new… home…”, he glubbed.

“I don’t understand. What was wrong with your old home?”
Sonny piped up. Both Pokemon’s childish curiosity kicked in, now oblivious and unafraid.

“Rude… and nosey children… aren’t we?”, Stikes spat. “Well… there is no use… in hiding… the truth…”, he said tiredly. “I have… traveled… for days…”, he began, “and before… I… and others interrupted… this land…-”

“There are more of your type around here?” Sonny cut in.

“Let me… finish… brat…” Stikes rumbled. “We lived… happily… down in the… Goldenrod City… sewers. But then… they came… those evil humans… attired in stripped… clothing… and used… their slave Pokemon… to chase us… out… of what rightfully… belonged to… us…” the old one rasped spitefully.

“Many of us… fought for… our home… but… to no avail…”, he continued.“Whoever did fight… were defeated… and captured…”, he paused to catch his breath.

“Others… like myself… who fought… at first… escaped at the… end… and there weren’t… that many… who were so… fortunate. Only… a handful of us… made it out… into… the surrounding forest…”,
Stikes finished, and the anger that was once in his eyes were now replaced by a deep sadness. “And so… I continue… my quest to… Violet City… where I hear they… have wondrous… sewers.”

The two young reptiles’ eyes’ were as wide as saucers. For a second, Stikes let his amusement get the better of him and almost cracked a smile, but it was gone just as soon as it appeared.

“Well… I should be… on my way…”, Stikes rasped. Before he could trudge away, Jacoby and Sonny quickly trotted over to the limp trainers, standing in defensive poses. Stikes let out what seemed to be a chuckle/grunt. “Fools… I’m not going to… attack… you’re precious… humans. You… were right… they did not harm… me in… any way.”

He slowly began to trudge away towards the opposite direction, towards Violet City. Before he disappeared into the thick trees, he turned and asked, “By the way… neither… of you… told me your… names…”.

“I’m Jacoby,”
said the blue one. “And I’m Sonny,” said the other. Stikes nodded.

“You should be… honored… that you younglings… met… Stikes… the Great. Be careful… on… your journey.” Stikes the Great turned westward, and he was gone.

Sonny and Jacoby faced each other. Sonny was the first to speak, asking, “Stikes the Great? Wonder what earned him that name.” “Now, I have a question for you,” Jacoby said cautiously.

“Where did the boldness and bravery against Sir Stikes come from? You weren’t like that a little while ago.” “Cause you didn’t know me well enough. There wasn’t anybody around at the time that was a threat to me or the girl, so I didn’t need to bad-talk ‘em. If I was still home, mama would’ve scorched my tail senseless!” Sonny said, wincing towards the end.

“… You were caught against your own will?”
the blue one asked.

Sunny looked up towards the now evening sky. “Mm-hm. Mama said 93% of the Pokemon that are caught had no choice. As was me.”

“What happened?”
Jacoby pressed, now intrigued. “That human with the glasses, the old one. He was looking around on my clan’s territory up in the mountains, and when mama wasn’t around and I was playing with the other clan members my age, he caught me.”

“I was angry for a while, but he treated me fairly, and kept talking to me. I couldn’t understand his human-talk that much at first, but then he talked so much that I began to learn what he was sayin’ to me. He told me over and over, ‘One day, you’re gonna have a trainer who’ll love you more than life itself.’ He said that so often, I began to believe him. Then I met the girl.”
He turned his head towards Kasey, still unconscious, but now in a peaceful sleep as well as Alaina.

“That’s why I Tackled her. I thought she’d love me more than life right when she saw me, but she was scared. So, I learned not to be so… forward. She needs time to have me around, then maybe she’ll be okay around me.” he finished.

“I’m sure she will,”
Jacoby replied, “and I’m sorry about your mom.” Sonny shrugged. “I miss her, but I was only a couple of weeks away from going out on my own. But I wish I could’ve said good-bye to her. What about you?” he turned to Jacoby.

“I was raised by my ma too. But after a week of looking after me, she told me I was on my own now. My type live in very few numbers together, sometimes only a mom and her young. Not like your big clan. That’s how it was with us, we traveled around alone.” he said.

“Before she left, she told me to never go to shore until I was a bit older, and I wish I’d listened to her. I was only into two weeks being on my own, so I thought I’d be okay on shore. But the younger human with glasses caught me as soon as I got out. He probably had been following me,” Jacoby finished.

“Did your ma call you by a name?” Sonny asked. “No,” was the other’s reply, “she just called my ‘youngling’. I’m glad I have a name to be called by now. You?”

Sonny shook his head. “I didn’t have a name, but all the older ones did. My mama’s name is Luciana.”

“Didn’t know my ma’s name.”
Jacoby finished. “You’re lucky.”

“Uhn… Sonny? Sonny?” they heard a voice from behind them.







A/N: For all who took a fancy to Stikes the Great, sorry to say he won’t appear again until future chapters. And just who was it that took the homes of the these Pokemon? Stay tuned!