Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ When It All Falls Down ❯ Greetings and Confusion ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“I wonder what he’s like…” she thought out loud. “Who?” Kasey asked. “Mr. Pokemon, of course! …You really think his last name is Pokemon?” Kasey laughed. “You’re such a ditz, Alaina… but anyways, it would be damn embarrassing if it was his last name.” “I don’t think so.” Alaina replied with a frown. “Because you don’t think right.” Kasey said smugly.

The pair had been avoiding grassy areas and sticking to the road, even though Alaina protested. She wanted so badly to release Jacoby from his poke ball and actually introduce herself, but there was a nagging nervousness that held her back from doing so. ‘And Kasey is just as nervous as me if not more… and I don’t want to worsen her feelings by meeting with Jacoby unless she’s okay with it.’

Alaina hadn’t realized she was falling behind until she heard Kasey call out her name. “Are your feet made of cement or something? C’mon, I wanna get this stupid request over with!” She jogged the rest of the way up the hill to her, and when they turned forward to continue on, they stayed in place. The road was cut-off, now replaced be long, thick grass and looming trees that cast shadows even in the bright sunlight of the day. ‘Mr. Pokemon lives within the wilderness?’ Alaina thought.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Kasey mumbled. “Are you sure this is the right way?” Alaina handed her the map and she checked it over. “If you got us lost, I swear…” she lost her words, realizing they were going the right way. She grunted, “There should be another way to get to Mr.Pokemon’s place.” Kasey turned around and began to backtrack. ‘Oh, God, she makes my blood boil!’ Alaina thought angrily.

“No,” she stated simply. “This is the only way I’m going.” Kasey spun around. “What- why?” “You keep trying to avoid meeting Sonny and Jacoby, and even though I’m nervous too, I actually want to explain to Jacoby that I’m his trainer!” Kasey glared at Alaina. “…That’s not true,” she said in a pout. Alaina shook her head. “The whole point of my traveling is to train, Kasey,” she said in slightly calmer voice. “But I won’t send him out to battle, when he doesn’t even know me. It wouldn’t be fair to him, and it would never sit well with me.”

Without another word, Alaina grabbed the single occupied poke ball from her bag and tossed it in the air. A flash of red light came out, and took shape 10 feet away from her. Kasey just stared, speechless, waiting for something to happen. Jacoby was taking in his surroundings, his shining orange-brown reptilian eyes scanning everything. ‘I was told Totodile’s are usually very energetic…’ she thought. Then his eyes landed on her. Alaina froze. ‘What am I supposed to do?’ Jacoby tilted his head, still not making a sound as he examined the human.

“Um… hi.” She managed to get out of her mouth. Kasey was now watching, more interested than she’d like to admit to see the Pokemon’s reaction to her cousin. “I’m Alaina,” she continued, “I’m your new trainer. I’m sorry I didn’t introduce myself as soon as I received you, but I was really nervous.” Jacoby blinked. “But, uh… I’m not anymore, not that much. I know I can’t force you to like me, and I won’t. I’m hoping you’ll learn to like me on your own accord. After all… you’re my first Pokemon… but really, I see you being more as a friend to me.” Still not a sound, he waddled towards her. He now stood about 4 and a half feet away from her.

“He can’t understand you, just as much as you wouldn’t be able to understand him if he said something.” Kasey sighed irritably. Alaina ignored her, her eyes still on Jacoby. Then she had an idea, ‘One that’ll definitely let him know I mean no harm.’ She set her backpack beside her, and began rummaging through it. Jacoby watched her with curiosity. She pulled out a piece of leftover cake, and broke off a part nearly the size of her entire hand, then returning the rest to her backpack. Jacoby’s attention was now on the food.

“Here,” she held it out to him at a short distance so he would come closer. He took a few steps closer, and held out his snout to smell the treat. Alaina began to sweat a bit, but still kept her calm demeanor… and her prayers were answered. His jaw opened into a wide smile, putting his tiny but sharp white teeth on display. He jumped from one foot to another, waving his tiny arms in the air in a hyper sort of happy-dance. He joyously ate the cake from Alaina’s palm, careful not to nip her fingers. She reached out her left hand and stroked his head. She smiled brightly, thinking, ‘He actually feels more rubbery than scaly!’
Kasey slowly walked over to Alaina and stood at her side, cautiously watching Jacoby. “See, he can understand me! Ain’t he cute?” she said triumphantly. “Oh, please,” she replied. “That doesn’t prove anything.” Alaina rolled her eyes, knowing very well her cousin doesn’t easily admit her mistakes. “You should bring out Sonny. He’ll want to meet you! …maybe.” She said nothing, so Alaina turned her gaze back to Jacoby, and giggled at his now frosting-lined mouth. “Dile! Toto-todile!” he screeched. “Do you mind the nickname I gave you, Jacoby? I really like that name for you.” He stopped for a minute, taking in what she had said… and began another happy-dance.

“Thanks. I’m glad you approve!” She stood up with new determination flowing through her veins. “Well, off to Mr. Pokemon’s house!” She picked up Jacoby, holding him in her arms as she asked, “Will you do me the honor of becoming my partner? Will you battle with me?” Without hesitation, she had her answer. “Dile! Totodile!” he voiced as he clutched her shirt. Alaina laughed with joy, relishing with gratitude towards her new found friend. ‘She sounded like she was proposing to him,’ Kasey thought bitterly as she hesitantly thrusted her arm into her backpack.

The brunette turned her attention back to faded-redhead. Kasey was clutching Sonny’s poke ball, a look of uncertainty shadowing her pale features. She sighed, and tossed her poke ball. Not a second later, there, standing in front of them, was the too-cute-for-words creature, Charmander. He blinked his large ocean- blue eyes at Kasey. “Char! Chamander- mand!” What the baby dinosaur Pokemon did next shocked Alaina… and terrified Kasey.

“Char- charmander!”, he voiced as he charged straight for Kasey. “Oh… oh my… GOD!!!” Kasey screamed as she tried to run away. “Wait, Kasey! Don’t run from him, you don’t know what he-” Alaina was cut short as the Sonny tackled down Kasey to the floor. “He’s gonna eat me! He’s gonna…” but Kasey was silenced. Sonny was… licking her? “Charmander, char!” he repeated as he continued to lick Kasey’s cheek and frazzle her hair with his tiny claws. “Don’t-ew, stop it! Get off me, you-” Jacoby jumped down from Alaina’s arms, and waddled over to Sonny.

“To! Todile! Toto!” Jacoby screeched. “Char? Charman!” Sonny seemed to reply. ‘Are they… communicating?’ both girls thought in unison.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I don’t think that this human appreciates that…” Jacoby said. “This one is a bit edgy.”

“She’s not pushing me off! She likes me, I know she does!”
Sonny replied enthusiastically.

I never said she didn’t! But she’s screaming. She looks as uptight as a Kingler who lost their young!” Jacoby exasperated.

“Your just jealous because my human loves me more than yours does, so you can just-” Sonny was cut-off by tiny teeth sinking into his tail.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Oh- no, Jacoby stop!” Alaina yelled in a panicked tone. “CHAR! CHARMANDER, MAND!!!” Sonny screeched as he began scratching at the blue reptile’s head. Kasey took the opportunity to release herself from the area of the two struggling Pokemon. She quickly got to her feet. “Um, Sonny stop! Bad Sonny, bad!” she said, clearly not succeeding. “You’re not helping, you freak!” Alaina shouted.

Alaina rushed over to the tiny Pokemon, getting a firm hold on Jacoby. They both stopped, but Jacoby’s teeth were still piercing Sonny’s tail. “Jacoby, please let go, please! …. I’ve got more food.” Both Pokemon perked up at this and scrambled to their small feet, and almost broke Alaina’s heart when they looked at her with eyes like that of a child’s. Kasey let out a sigh. “I guess we can eat before we move on.”

The group sat on the side of the road for their lunch break, and thankfully Sonny and Jacoby seemed to be at peace, both of them jabbering in their talk as if nothing happened. “Wish I could understand ‘em,” Kasey said out of the blue. “Find out why the hell they fought in the first place.” “I doubt it was anything serious,” Alaina joked. “But yeah… It would be cool to understand what they say…”

After some conversation, they packed off and headed into the woods. Kasey was clutching Sonny for dear life, and Alaina and Jacoby walked side by side. Alaina even stopped once in a while to look around, almost desperate to find signs of life that another Pokemon was around. Nothing. There was nothing but silence and distant calls from bird Pokemon. “I don’t get it!”, Alaina said, exasperated. “This is what we were nervous about? There isn’t a Pokemon anywhere! Forest’s like these are usually over-populated with at least bug Pokemon, and we haven’t even seen a Caterpie or Weedle!” “All the better!” Kasey replied. “I’m actually happy with just Sonny. I don’t need to see anymore P-” Kasey was silenced.

Her pale skin began fading into a sickly yellow as her hazel-brown eyes widened in complete and utter fear. Sonny was shaking, large tears welling up in his terror-filled eyes. They both were staring directly behind Alaina. “Kasey… scared? She isn’t scared. Kasey doesn’t get scared…” Alaina thought, frozen in place. A shadow cast over Alaina’s form, and a small, uncertain growl emitted from Jacoby’s throat. Alaina turned her body halfway only to see what was possibly not a Pokemon at all. Some kind of monster. Her scream shattered the silence.