Power Rangers Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There weren't any Power Rangers in Angel Grove anymore. It was rather discomfiting and strange to think about, but the nostalgia for the old team of Rangers ran deep, both in Trini's mind and in the town itself. This was where the team had originated, and it was nice to think that they would be remembered. Nostalgia or no, nobody thought anything of it when a group of old friends met for dinner at one of Angel Grove's family restaurants. While it wasn't the same group from high school - for one thing, Billy was long gone - Trini felt almost relieved to see all her friends again, and to find all of them alive and well.

Their time as Power Rangers was still reflected in them, making them instantly recognizable; each one still wore his or her color, though their styles had mellowed considerably since the last time she had seen them all together. Jason wore red, Zack black, Kim pink, and Tommy's outfit was dominated by green and white. She realized with a hint of chagrin that she had - unconsciously - chosen to wear a yellow blouse tonight. In a way, it seemed kind of amazing that their secret had remained safe for as long as it had.

"Trini!" The guys were falling all over each other trying to be the first one to greet her, the first to exchange hugs... Kimberly had not been lying when she said Trini had wounded Zack and Tommy's manly pride by calling Jason first, and it seemed they were determined to make up for it now.

It was silly. It was also cute and endearing, and it brought laughter bubbling up from somewhere deep inside her.

It was good to be home.

The restaurant had a warm, friendly atmosphere and, perhaps more importantly, good food. Trini sat between Zack and Tommy; after all, she couldn't really argue with the fact that she had already spent time with Kim and Jason. She was relieved to find that conversation was easy and comfortable, even after all this time.

"So, what've you been up to?" It was Zack that finally broached the question.

"School," Trini muttered. "Lots and lots and lots of school. I think it's the point where they aren't going to let me come back and take any more classes." That was met with knowing laughter all around. "But that's kind of boring... what about all of you?"

Thanks to Kimberly, she knew the basics. But it was nice to hear it from each of them, in their own words, to see their contentment with her own eyes. After her stint at the Pan Global Games, Kimberly had gone on to the Olympics and had now returned to Angel Grove to coach a new generation of young gymnasts with dreams as big as her own.

Tommy had gone on to college and moved away from Angel Grove to teach, of all things. He had come quite a distance to attend this reunion dinner; Trini wondered fleetingly if there might be additional incentive to driving all the way to Angel Grove, but kept those suspicions to herself.

Jason not only taught martial arts, he owned a combination dojo and gym, like Ernie's Youth Center but for students of all ages. And Zack... Zack had worked for a while as a stuntman, had decided to call it quits after breaking both legs, and had come back to Angel Grove to try his luck as DJ.

They spoke fondly of Billy, each of them wondering what might have happened to their old friend since his departure from Earth. And from there, the conversation wandered all over the map until long after the food was gone and dinner was over.

It seemed to Trini that so much had changed since the last time she had been to Angel Grove, and yet it was as if nothing had changed at all. Only now she felt almost like a foreigner, relearning each of her friends for what seemed the first time – and the thousandth.