Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ Invisible ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Pretear. I don't even own anything from Pretear, I borrowed the DVD from a friend and downloaded fan translations of the manga. I also don't own Invisible, I just have a downloaded MP3.

This is what happens when you listen to music while reading manga. I love love love love Pretear. It's sooooo Uber-cute! And I want a Sasame plushie. Ok, I'm done fangirling now.

Takes place 16 years before the series, while Takato is Pretear, and Sasume pines for her . . .

Invisible: Clay Aiken

~~Lyrics in These~~

Sasame looked out the window of the Knight's house in Leifania and sighed. He could see the Pretear, Takako, silhouetted against the setting sun. His spirits rose a bit and his heart beat faster, he had fallen for the young Pretear almost as soon as he met her, and the feelings hadn't diminished. Still, as strongly as he felt for her, she hardly ever spoke to him. She was very withdrawn, and rarely interacted with any of the knights. Sasame in particular she barely looked at unless the Pretear of Sound was required. He desperately wanted to make her see him. She was probably crying again. She cried disturbingly often. Maybe . . . maybe he could go comfort her. That would make her see him. As he slipped out the door an old habit asserted itself, and a song came to his lips. He made it up as he went along, putting his feelings about Takako into music.

~~What are you doing tonight~~
~~I wish I could be a fly on your wall~~
~~Are you really alone~~
~~Still in your dreams~~
~~Why can't I bring you into my life~~
~~What would it take to make you see that I'm alive
~~

He had almost reached the young woman when he heard another knight approach her. He cursed silently. Hayate. One of his closest friends, but also the only knight Takako paid much attention to. Sasame had noticed the way she always watched him when she thought no one was looking, and it tore at his heart. Why would she pay so much attention to him unless . . . unless she felt something for him. He had realized this long ago, but never wanted to actually acknowledge it. All she saw was Hayate, to her Sasame was nothing. Just . . . invisible. His mind grabbed the word and wove it into the song.

~~If I was invisible~~
~~Then I could just watch you in your room~~
~~If I was invisible~~
~~I'd make you mine tonight~~
~~If hearts were unbreakable~~
~~Then I can just tell you where I stand~~~~I would be the smartest man~~
~~If I was invisible~~
~~Wait . . . I already am
~~

He had always been invisible to her. Once when coming out of his part time job at the radio station, he had seen her in the street. He had called out to her, hoping to ask her to dinner, but she had not responded. She had looked lost in thought, and at the time he had desperately wished that he could know what she was thinking about. He looked at Hayate, and thought bitterly that he knew. He had always known but wouldn't admit it.


~~I saw your face in the crowd~~
~~I called out your name~~
~~You don't hear a sound~~
~~I keep tracing your steps~~
~~Each move that you make~~
~~Wish I could be what goes through your mind~~
~~Wish you could touch me with the colors of your life~~

He stopped and watched them, wanting to continue forward but unable to force his feet to move. Not while Hayate was there. He couldn't convince himself to leave either so he just stood there, out of their sight but well within hearing distance. Of course, as the Knight of Sound pretty much everything was in hearing distance for him. He almost stopped breathing as they finally spoke, every fiber of his being focused on their conversation.

"Takako, what are you doing out here?"

"I'm sorry, Hayate. I just . . ." Sasame couldn't see her face from where he was, but her voice was choked with tears.

"Yes?"

"Hayate . . . I love you."

The sound of Sasame's heart breaking was so loud in his ears that he was surprised that they couldn't hear it where they stood. For a moment it drowned out every other sound. Unfortunately for him it couldn't block the sight before him, of the two black silhouettes against the sun merging into one as Hayate embraced the weeping Pretear. Tears obscured his vision but could not remove the scene that had been burned into his mind as the heartbroken Knight of Sound turned and fled

~~If I was invisible~~
~~Then I could just watch you in your room~~
~~If I was invisible~~
~~I'd make you mine tonight~~
~~If hearts were unbreakable~~
~~Then I can just tell you where I stand~~
~~I would be the smartest man~~
~~If I was invisible~~
~~Wait . . . I already am
~~

Sasame teleported to a secluded park on Earth, a spot where he could loose himself and not worry about one of the other knights finding him. Once he was far enough away that only one with ears equal to his own could hear him he fell to his knees and screamed, unable to keep the pain inside. Why? Why Hayate and not him? Why did Takako never look at him? A voice in the back of his head railed at him, telling him he should have told her, let her know how strongly he felt about her. But it was too late. She was with Hayate now. They . . . they would never know. They would never know how badly they'd wounded him tonight. He would continue to fulfill his duties as a Knight of Leife, and would never let Takato know of his feelings. Still, a part of him felt dead. Empty.


~~I reach out~~
~~But you don't even see me~~
~~Even when I'm screaming~~
~~Baby, you don't hear me~~
~~I am nothing without you~~
~~Just a shadow passing through . . .
~~

Sasame pulled himself together and wiped the tears from his cheeks. Once he was certain that he had himself under control he returned to Leifania, well away from the place where he had seen Takako and Hayate. He returned to the house as if nothing had happened, even managing to smile at Takako and nod to Hayate as he passed them. He quickly went up to his room and collapsed on the bed, staring up at the moon through the window. He could do this. He had no other choice.

~~If I was invisible~~
~~Then I could just watch you in your room~~
~~If I was invisible~~
~~I'd make you mine tonight~~
~~If hearts were unbreakable~~
~~Then I can just tell you where I stand~~
~~I would be the smartest man~~
~~If I was invisible~~

As Sasame drifted to sleep one word escaped his lips. "Takako . . ."


~~Wait . . . I already am
~~