Pretty Cure Fan Fiction ❯ A Mirror Darkly ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was mid-morning, just after a buffet breakfast that had been heavily visited.  No one had gotten a very good night’s sleep.  One of the girls, her hair a darker shade of magenta than Mana’s, swept an unruly bang out of her eyes and sat in the European garden, taking a few moments to enjoy the ambiance before someone caught up to her.  She was nearly out of her teens, with a boyfriend and a hope to leave this part of her life behind her.  Not that Nozomi regretted becoming a Precure, but it was a thing she thought belonged in the past along with her middle school years.

Ditz.  Airhead.  Useless.  Yumehara Nozomi was actually well aware of the reputation she had as Cure Dream.  She’d even admit she half deserved it.  A long time ago, when she’d first gotten her powers, she probably deserved all of it, but now she was a college student, getting...well, not great grades but pretty decent.  She’d even started putting out tentative feelers for a crucial teaching assistant position, although of course that wouldn’t come up for over a year yet.  She was even fluent in English now, at least enough that she felt confident about maybe doing that step in America and getting her driver’s license at the same time.

Nozomi wasn’t an idiot.  She’d rather get an American license than deal with that hassle.

But now she had the strangest sinking feeling.  Oh, sure, the existence of Cure Nightmare bothered her, but in more of an abstract way than it seemed to disturb everyone else.  After all, it would take something really, really bad to turn her into something that terrible.

Right?

No, what bothered her about this mirror universe was. . . why was everyone going along with this there?  In the world Nozomi understood, people weren’t really innately evil.  They might get a little selfish, but they wouldn’t set out to cause pain and suffering.  But this Youkai Task Force thing seemed to have been born in the worst nightmares she’d ever had.

Well, Nozomi was stronger now than in those days.  If there was a way, she’d wake Nightmare up.

Just as Nozomi had come to that decision, a hand landed on her shoulder.  She covered it with her own and looked up, meeting the blue eyes of Karen.  She saw her friend shake her head.  “Nozomi, don’t go, okay?”

Nozomi laughed.  “Am I that obvious?”

“Yes, actually.”  Karen took a seat on the park bench next to her, not meeting Nozomi’s eyes.  “You were up first, you barely ate, and now you’re sitting in the garden.  This isn’t like you.”  She took a deep breath.  

“I’ll save her.”  Nozomi interrupted.  “No matter what.”

“Just like that, huh?”

The grin in response could have lit up the room.  “Of course, just like that.  She’s not the first mirror clone we’ve seen to need a friend.  I can’t imagine anyone’s reached out to her in a long time.”

“That’s because she’s crazy.”  Karen pointed out.  “We don’t know what they did to her.”

Nozomi swallowed.  “Cure of Intelligence, huh Karen?”   She looked down to where she was gripping the hem of her dress.  “But you know I can’t leave Nightmare like that.  You saw Gemini.”

“Who the heck did you think I was talking about?”  Karen snorted.  “Rikka and her friends don’t see it, do they?”

“Nah, they do.  Just don’t care.”  Nozomi shrugged.  “Can you honestly say we’d have been any different?”

Karen’s eyes widened for a moment in shock, but then she laughed.  “You wouldn’t have let us.”

“So are you really surprised?”

Karen wrapped her arms around her old friend with a sigh.  “Come back alive, Nozomi.  And bring Nightmare with you.”

“Right!”  Nozomi returned the hug with a smile.  “Let’s go talk with the others.”

“And find out who’s going with you,” Karen sighed.

Nozomi shook her head.  “No.  We live near enough to Tokyo that we can get here.  I have to go, but you girls need to stay.  You especially, since everyone needs a place to stay and your place isn’t watched like Alice is afraid of.”

“Nozomi!”

“No!”  The young woman stood up.  “Karen, I’m counting on you.  Watch after little Aguri.”

Karen took a step back, almost shocked, then turned her eyes towards the pond.  “All right.  Don’t expect the others to go along with this.”

“So don’t tell them ‘till the train’s left.”  Nozomi shrugged.  “I know, I know, I should, but... “

“For once, you’re right.”  Karen said with resignation and some bitterness.  “You going is reason enough for us all to go, but one little kid being on the city defense is a better reason for all of us to stay.”

Nozomi grinned.  “And don’t worry so much, I’ll be back.”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Chinen Miyuki, once the lead dancer for the Trinity group, and now both the trainer and manager of Clover, looked down at the troupe’s latest schedule, then up at Miki.  “Sets can handle things, but are you sure?”

“Would you stop asking that?”  The girl with the long blue hair sighed.  “Yeah, look.  We’re announcing our retirement next year anyway, right?  It’s been a good run, but Buki wants to start college soon, and not just a class here and there.  The fashion thing...well, it’s not really working out, is it?  I only get the gigs I do because of Clover, and we all know it.”

Miyuki put the schedule down.  “Well, I guess that’s true.  The others will be up in a few minutes.  Do you want me to say goodbye?”

“I’ll tell them myself.”  Miki picked up the letter.  “I’m surprised they asked, but... “

“Are you really?”  Miyuki shrugged.  “I saw the letter too, they want someone from each group.”

“Wonder why...and why me and not Sets or Love?”

Miyuki gave her a rather sad smile.  “Maybe one of them saw something I should have awhile ago.  Do you think you needed this?”

“Precure is something that should have been in the past.  But hey, if you can’t run away from it, and with the way things have been going these past few years we can’t. . . embrace the madness.  After all... “

“You’re perfect, right?”  Miyuki’s amusement grew.

“Nah.  But I’m good.”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Tsukikage Yuri snapped her cell phone shut, giving the others a look.  “Assuming my powers work, looks like I’ve been asked to come along,” she muttered under her breath, though not so quietly that her friends couldn’t hear her.

Erika, with an ice bag on her head, groaned in agony.  “Well, couldn’t have happened to a nicer person, now please keep it down.”

Yuri’s lips quirked ever so slightly.  “Suffer.  You shouldn’t have been sneaking from the punch bowl all night.”

Tsubomi put her hands on her hips.  “Quit arguing.  Besides, we’ve got to sort Erika out before the rest of us head back to Kibougahana.”

Yuri’s amusement grew a bit more.  “Tsubomi, you just got a hand-punched ticket from Tokyo University, so if you just tell your parents you want to stay in Tokyo a few days to check out schools it should be fine.”

Tsubomi and Itsuki gave Erika a skeptical look at that.  “Might be okay for us, but there’s no way they’ll buy Erika could get in to Toudai, not in a million years.”

“I’ll just go hang out in Shibuya, maybe try to sell something.  When the world stops spinning.”  Erika tried to say, but it came out as kind of a mumble that only Tsubomi could translate.

“We won’t be in Tokyo anyway.”  Yuri clarified.  “Our job is to power the portal, and it’s going to take all four of us.  You did bring a few extra days of clothing, right?”

“Who do you think you’re talking to?”  Erika shouted as she stood up.

Everyone watched as the extent of this mistake became apparent.  Erika slowly turned green.  Then the ice bag fell off her head.  A moment later she ran for the suite bathroom.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

In contrast to the other Miyuki, Cure Happy was getting exhausted.  She was, after all, the ferry service.  Back and forth through the book world she carried people, to get them home, get their things, make excuses, make arrangements, make new friends, meet old friends.  By later afternoon, she munched on some sweets from a cafe in the book world house, in an unusually bad mood.

A mood that got even worse when the door opened and Gemini stepped through.  “What do you want?”

Gemini was taken aback.  “I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work.”

“Yeah, well, don’t expect me to be thrilled.  I know how you mirror-people work.”  Miyuki’s voice full of accusation.  “I’m keeping my eye on you.”

Gemini stopped short, giving the girl an appraising look.  “I’m fairly impressed.  You’re either smarter or dumber than your counterpart.  And for the life of me, I can’t tell which.”

“Oh, really?  And just why isn’t she here, huh?  What evil schemes is she plotting, huh?”

Gemini swallowed.  This was not how she had wanted this conversation to go.  “Miss Hoshizora, with everything you’ve learned, please believe me.  It doesn’t matter now, and you don’t want to know.”

“Hah!  So she IS up to something!”  Miyuki declared.  “But it’s not like anyone will believe me anyway, so for now I have to let yo-”

“It doesn’t matter Miyuki.”  Gemini snapped.  “I could go into the details, but all you have to know is she’s not involved.”

“Hmph.  Like I’m really going to believe that.  You’re just an evil version of Mana.”  Miyuki shrugged in dismissal.  “But you’ll screw up, eventually, and they’ll see the truth.  That’s how it always works.”

“Fine.”  Gemini slumped.  “Only because it’s obvious you’re stuck in your fairy tale, I’ll tell you the reality.  At least what I know of it.  The Cure Happy of my world is . . . not with us.”  She couldn’t bring herself to say ‘dead’ to this girl.  “I don’t know what happened, exactly, but I’m told she got in a fight with the rest of her team.  March sided with her.”

Miyuki stopped, then laughed.  “Really, a fight?”

“Yeah.  I wasn’t there, but it was a bit after I became Cure Heart.  You were sent in to capture me first the night things...went wrong.”  Miyuki went quiet while Gemini continued.  “Peace had just gotten her power armor and wanted to use it, you didn’t think it was a good idea.  It was a five on one fight.  I needed an edge, and I used my sword on Cure Beauty when she pulled out those ice swords.  She got hurt, never found out how bad, and I made my escape.  A little later Peace had her armor, there were some explosions...and I never saw you again.”

“...but...but...she...the other me...could be alive?”

Gemini shrugged.  “Maybe.  But if she did live, she either quit or got put in lockup, and if she lived she’s outside the Tokyo Quarantine Zone and can’t get back in.”  Gemini looked up.  “Miyuki, you are a beautiful young woman.  I know you love your stories, and you want to make them your life’s work.  I talked with you a bit before.  Please.  It’s too late for most of them now, but at least you.  Walk away.  I hurt people.  It’s all I do now.  Don’t….don’t….”

Suddenly there was another pair of arms around her.  Miyuki smiled.  “I’m sorry….Mana.”  Gemini tried to object, but was silenced by a finger on her lips.  “One day you’ll be able to say your name again.  I’m sure.  I still don’t trust you, but I don’t think you’re lying.”

Gemini started to laugh.  “How many people are in love with that clone of mine?”

“Everyone who knows her.”  Miyuki giggled.  “It’s her curse.”

Gemini chuckled, but gently pushed Miyuki back.  “If she comes back...if they come back, they won’t be the same.  Before we go I’ll give you my reserve cash.  I won’t be needing it.  Do me a huge favor.  Use it to come check up on them.”

“As often as I can,”  Miyuki promised.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Aguri looked over the ‘troops.’  While Cures Black and White had promised to return, Mana had chosen to take almost every experienced Cure with them for the initial trip, or at least that’s what it had felt like.  And now she had been sitting in the middle of the dregs for almost an hour while they compared schedules.  They’d need to work with each other when the Jikochuu realized the majority of her allies were off in the middle of nowhere.  “Will you listen to me!?”

A rather irate Cure Melody snapped back “We’re not exactly happy either, kiddo.  Keeping an eye on someone else’s turf is hard, even if it’s just for a couple of days.  My dad’s gonna be worried, so I can’t stay past tomorrow!”

Cure Beat, a rather catty-looking...Aguri amended that statement with a start, realizing that she had the faint aura of a faerie.  She was probably a cat.  Ellen put up her hands.  “Now now, everyone’s got a personal life here.  I’m living back in Major Land, so the Princess gave me as much time as I need.  So I’ll babysit Agu-”

The girl in question cut her off.  “I have more experience than you do!”

“I’m sure.”  Beat sighed.  “Fine.  I’ll do my best to keep up with you.”

In the background, Cure Passion, one of that Miki girl’s companions - and another faerie, Aguri thought, put her forehead in her hand.  “This is going to be a long few days.”

Aguri felt her temper on a slow burn when someone else, a tall green-haired girl - probably Mint - shook her head.  “Please, everyone.  We’ve almost got this worked out.  It’s lucky some of us still have family in the area…”

Aguri shouted “It’s not ENOUGH!”  Everyone stopped and gave her a look.  “I’m sorry, but just one or two of you isn’t going to be enough.  What if there’s an invasion?”

Cure Happy, who had been quiet through most of the discussion, spoke up.  “We’ve got a plan for that.  Since we won’t be needing the Decors for the other world anymore, everyone take one and memorize this room.”  She grinned.  “Bookshelf over there, see?  We just trade cell phone numbers, and everyone can be back in Tokyo as soon as they can find some books!”

Rhythm grinned and sagged into her chair in relief.  “Oh, good.  That’ll cover us for a few days, and then most everyone will be back and we can actually deal with something like that.”

“What do we do until then?!”  Aguri started to feel panic creeping in around the edges of her consciousness.  Five minutes.  It wasn’t enough time, not for an invasion.  And these girls were treating it like this was some game.

“What we always do, Aguri.”  Passion said definitively.  “Win.”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Almost past midnight, after a long train ride and a bus that took half as long, eighteen girls and young women stumbled into the hot springs resort.  Alice was in front, already writing out a large check to cover the stay and smooth over ruffled feathers.  Gemini gave her a grateful smile and looked longingly toward the baths.  

Next was Miki, a plain outfit, sunglasses, and a furtive expression.  A few people had recognized her on the train, and by morning she was sure there would be photographers everywhere.  Even Makoto, behind her, was on edge because of that, with DB taking up the rear of the idols.

Yuri stepped off next, with a frustrated Itsuki carrying Erika while Tsubomi just sighed.  “Just drop her, if she doesn’t wake up at least it’s summer and maybe she’ll learn something.”

Itsuki gave Tsubomi a bit of a skeptical look, but did as she was told.  In moments Erika was on her feet.  “What’s the big idea!”

“It’s time to get up.”  Yuri deadpanned.  “Now, get your things.”

Nagisa pushed past them.  “Come on, still people who have to get off,”  Everybody budged aside as four more young women, who Gemini looked back and identified as Bloom, Egret, and their friends Michiru and Kaoru (or Bright and Windy.)  Huh.  Wonder why Bright and Windy never turned up in our world.

Yayoi gulped, slipping quietly past with her drawing notebook.  It seemed to have seen better days, so Regina, who was right behind, guessed that it was probably not for serious use so it had been around longer.  Nozomi came off next, stretching out after a long doze in a most undiginified manner.

Mana and Rikka were the last off, both looking utterly exhausted from efforts at keeping the group organized.

Alice grinned and exchanged a few whispers with the owner, and with another nod Gemini (and most of the other girls) followed.  Only a few minutes later they were all sprawled out in the hot spring.  But Alice wasn’t having it.

“Come,”  she said to Gemini, who looked about ready to pass out.  “We need to have a talk.”

Gemini groaned a little as her muscles protested, but she followed into a side room.  There was a bath in here as well, fed directly with water from the main hot spring.  Alice locked the door behind them and turned to her with a serious expression.  “Look, if it’s about the money…”  Gemini swallowed, realizing that maybe she’d pushed the bounds of hospitality too far even where the gracious girl was concerned.

“It is,”  Alice said in her usual, calm voice.  “But not in the way you think.  I know you’ve been hurting for luxuries, but it wouldn’t hurt to express a little gratitude to the others for helping you.”

Gemini hugged her knees in the water, “I know.  This is. . . big.  Huge.  I’m. . . I guess I’m just overwhelmed.  In three days we’ve put together something that took the Japanese government four years to get going.”

“No, that’s not what happened here,”  Alice slid into the water casually.  “Your Youkai Task Force is an army.  An army of little girls, but an army.  We’re a family Gemini.  We help each other, that’s what familes do.”  Gemini curled up even more tightly as Alice continued.  “The years are starting to pull us apart, we don’t get together nearly often enough, but that will never, ever change.”  Suddenly there was a hand on Gemini’s shoulder.  “You’re welcome to join us….”

Gemini’s eyes widened, and for a moment Alice could see the incredible pain behind them, all the things that Gemini was trying to hold back, that she wasn’t saying.

And then it closed up, Gemini standing up again.  “Miss Yostuba, please don’t.”

Alice stared as the girl retreated to the main baths.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Makoto watched Alice grab Gemini, and decided this would be a good time to get a moment away.  Regina might be more powerful, but Makoto was sure that Gemini was by far the more dangerous of the two girls.  And Alice could handle herself as long as that damn sword was out in the cubbies.

Makoto was sympathetic to Gemini’s situation, but the girl was clearly on a hair trigger at best.  At worst, that Regina’s completely corrupted her and they’re just a pair of Jikochuu.  With that cheery thought, she took a deep breath and stood up from the water.  “I think I’ll go try that dry sauna over there.”  Without waiting for anyone to offer to join her, she got out of the water and entered the sealed chamber, turning the lights down a bit and the heat up.  She sprawled out on the low-backed bench, letting her eyes close to think.  The tension of the long train ride couped up with everyone had already started to dissolve in the water, but it practically flowed out from the heat of the room.

A sense of doom came over her as she realized that this thought might actually bear some review.  Professor Yukishiro looked over the science stuff and said that it didn’t look like they’d made it up, she pondered.  They’re definitely from an alternate dimension.  Still, who knows what happened over there?  Could this all be a clever ruse?

Then she really thought about it.  Mana wasn’t incapable of lying, but she preferred honesty and forthrightness.  What would she be like as a Jikochuu?  The answer came almost immediately.  Furious that the world won’t conform to her ideas of how people should get along.  An angel of righteous vengeance…yeah, that’s Gemini, except... she’s not sure of herself.  Makoto decided to relax for the moment.  Yeah, the idea that Gemini might be Mana’s Jikochuu was disturbing, but it didn’t really change anything, and it seemed that even if it was the case, Gemini herself didn’t know it.

It would probably be a bad idea to bring it up when Gemini was in earshot.

“Would you like me to rub your back?” a slightly younger, squeakier voice asked.  Makoto was so lost in thought that she just made a vaguely assenting noise, until the hands landed on her.  For a few moments it felt divine, before what was happening penetrated and she jumped, pressing her back against the wooden wall of the sauna with a shriek of panic.

“Re-Regina!  What are you doing?”

Regina pouted.  “Rubbing your back,” she said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.  “You seem tense.  We’re all supposed to get a good night’s sleep and rest up tomorrow too, and I don’t think you can do that.”

Someone started to pound on the door.  “Is everything all right in there?!” a voice Makoto couldn’t identify called.

“NO!/Yes.”  Makoto and Regina said at the same time.  Oddly, Regina’s voice carried just as well, even though Makoto was shouting.

A second voice called through the door, and this one Makoto recognized as Davi.  "Makoto, do you need help-davi?"

Makoto suddenly realized that her towel had slipped slightly, Regina was in her 'street clothes' that probably weren't appropriate for any street but those in Roppongi well into the late hours (and probably not on a girl her age) and that she had yelped loudly enough to be heard.  "No, no, I'm fine!  Don't come in!"

Regina grinned broadly.  "So why don't you lay down?"

"GACK!"  Right, Regina still paying attention.  "Will you stop that?"

Mana's voice called through the door.  "Makopi, what's going on?"

Makoto felt her panic starting to rise again.  She tried to quash it down with a firm declaration of "Nothing is going on!"

Mana's voice came back "Then why do you sound all squeaky?"

"What?  I do no-"  Makoto made a very undignified squeaking noise when Regina's hand touched hers.  She spun around to try to give the Jikochuu girl another scolding, when suddenly the door thumped loudly.  "No!  What are you doing!?"

"Opening the door,"  came an authoritative adult voice.  "You girls are much too young for that kind of thing."  Makoto went pale as she watched Regina's face at the accusation.  It started as a pout of indignation that slowly drained to rage.  Regina walked to the door and slammed it open, only to be faced with the chestnut-brown hair of Hyuuga Saki.  The woman had a stern expression that didn't seem appropriate for her.  But Regina wasn't the least bit cowed.

"First," Regina replied, actually snarling, "I wasn't doing anything. Second, I will not put up with a human telling me what I can and can't do because I'm 'not old enough.'  Gimmie something better than that."

Saki took a step back, but also a deep breath, about to lay into her again, when Nozomi put a hand on her shoulder and shook her head.  She stepped in front, and the blonde faerie's glare was suddenly focused on her.  Nozomi didn't even flinch, just bent her knees to put herself at eye-level with Regina.  "I don't think Makoto was very happy with what you were trying to do.  I know you meant well, but you might want to think about how others feel."

Regina blinked at the calm tone, then smiled brightly.  "You, I think I like.  Want to go up to my room?"

Everyone nearby started to turn a deep crimson, but Nozomi just giggled.  "I'm flattered, but I think maybe getting a drink at the vending machines and talking about it would be better."  Embarrassment turned quickly to shock as Regina just nodded her assent.  

"Sure.  Get dressed and I'll meet you out there."  Regina grinned, snapped her fingers, and vanished.

Everyone stared at Nozomi in shock for a few moments longer, while she just turned to Makoto.  "Listen, she really didn't mean anything, I'm sure.  Kids sometimes act inappropriately and she hasn't had the best guidance.  I'll talk to her about boundaries and get this sorted."

Makoto nodded.  "Th..thanks."

Saki turned away after Regina vanished, obviously intending to return to her interrupted soak.  There was just one problem, peering up at her from under her bangs and long red hair.  Before she could think to say anything, Tsubomi slapped her.  "What the heck?"  Saki's hand touched her cheek.

"Regina's just a kid," the redheaded girl was as angry as anyone had ever seen her.  "She didn't know any better, and she's the only one who can get us around the other world.  You didn't have to go after her like that!"

Saki snorted and turned towards the change room.  "Yeah, right.  She was just gonna molest Makoto there and you'd let her get away with it."

Tsubomi flinched as if she'd been the one struck.  "Wh..what?  I wouldn't - "

"Take that back!"  Erika stepped between them.  "Tsubomi would never do something like that!"

Saki backed away under the combined glare, but rescue came from an unexpected source as Yayoi stepped in.  The blonde wasn't mad, but she did look worried.  "I don't think Regina should just be allowed to get away with that, though..."  She flinched as the pair glared at her after that.

"Hmph."  A rather cool Michiru climbed out of the water.  "I have to wonder if we're being tricked, if the girl can't keep control."

Finally drawn into the 'discussion' Miki sighed.  "Just what do you know about it?  It's not like any of us are faeries like her."

"We are,"  Kaoru countered.  "Or were, anyway.  We never had this much trouble pretending to be human back then.  Obviously something's wrong."

Yuri was the next to speak.  "You can't check the data.  We know they're not lying about everything, and there's no reason not to trust them about themselves, for now."

Mai just sighed as Saki yelled again.  "And just what do we do if they are?"

"Deal with it when it comes,"  Yuri said easily.  "There's no reason to go to all this trouble for a trap."

Makoto swallowed as things started to fall apart.  "Can I say something?"

"ENOUGH!"  Gemini's voice called out at her sudden reappearance.  "What the hell is wrong with you girls, shouting about this in the middle of the furo?!"

Everyone was stunned into silence, until Nagisa spoke up.  "All right.  I suggest everyone go to their rooms.  Breakfast is at eight this morning, and after that we can split up, enjoy the town, and all cool our heads a little."

Slowly, and with great reluctance, everyone started to file out, until Makoto was left alone with Gemini.  They gave each other a shared look of despair, before walking out together.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Saki slammed the door to the room shut behind her.  With the futons all laid out it seemed like a wonderful gesture to her, but that was the problem.  

“Ugh, why’d this have to happen?”

Mai opened the door behind her, and while she couldn’t possibly have heard what was said her scolding tone was more than enough to make clear she hadn’t needed to.  “Well, if you hadn’t intentionally antagonized half the group it wouldn’t have?”

“What?”  Saki tried her best to sound scandalized.  “What do you mean?  This is ridiculous.  You as the head of some kind of...of... “ she searched for the word, finally settling on “Gestapo?  Me, the head enforcer?  Executions?”

Maii pushed past to pull the curtains over the windows shut.  “Why not?  That stunt just showed everyone you want to be in charge.”

“Tha-that’s only because I don’t buy their story.  We shouldn’t be charging into this head-long, that’s all.”  Saki flopped down onto her futon, brushing some hair out of her eyes.  “Nagisa’s being way too trusting of something that would happily engage in sexual harassment like that.  Who knows what else those two would be willing to do?”

“Risk everything to jump through a door to a world that they don’t know, could have any number of dangers, and might well be even more hostile than the one they left, on the off chance there was some kind of help there.”  A long pause.  “Oh, and brush your teeth.”

“....dammit.”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Nozomi found Regina, as promised, leaning against the bank of vending machines just outside the inn.  Somewhat unexpected, she was already drinking from a can of beer.  Nozomi actually facepalmed on seeing this.  “Tell me you don’t do that where anyone can see.”

Regina sighed.  “Nah.  Don’t get what the big deal is, anyway.”

“You probably can’t get drunk,”  Nozomi sighed.  “So I guess it’s okay.  Just don’t let anyone see you or us adults will have a lot of explaining to do.”

“Is this like the thing where I’m not supposed to grab someone in public?”  Regina sounded somewhat resigned as she said that.

“...that’s part of it, yes.”  Nozomi decided that was as good a segue to the topic at hand as any.  “There’s two things.  One, you’re projecting the appearance of a high school girl, so people expect you to act like one.”

“Okay, got that.”  Regina tossed the half-full beer into the trash.  “Stuff tastes terrible anyway.  If I can’t even get the benefit...whatever that’s supposed to be.  Humans are weird.  Want a soda?”

“The lemon tea would be lovely.”  Nozomi grinned, only for her eyes to widen in horror when Regina carefully lined up her fist and pounded the machine, two lemon teas falling out.  “That’s stealing!”

“...oh, right.”  Regina winced.  “I’m sorry, I forgot I don’t need to do that.”

Nozomi swallowed.  “We’ll be paying for it in the morning.”

“Right, right.”  Regina waved her hands.  “Or I can just teleport the money into the machine if you’ve got it.”

“...getting off topic.”  Nozomi decided quickly.  “The other thing is that...well, what do you know about privacy?”

“Don’t look at things people don’t want you to look at unless you have a good reason.”

Nozomi stared at the girl in front of her, trying to decide if she was joking.  Reluctantly, she concluded Regina was not joking.  “And...what is a good reason?”

“Saving people’s lives,”  Regina began to list off, as if she had memorized it.  “When you think they’re doing something that will hurt people, or you think they might be the target of a monster attack, or you need something they have to survive.  And for the last, check with at least two of the others to be sure.”

She tried to think of a flaw in the logic but...well, from Regina’s perspective, they seemed like sensible rules.  “Do you….know why?”

“Because they don’t like it when you go poking in.  They don’t like it when the reason is good, either, but they’re also complicit with the government so it may come down to them or us.”  Regina said, not quite sounding like she was reciting from a list but still giving the impression of a dutiful student during an oral test.

“Right.”  This girl is going to take a long time to sort out.  But for right now…  Nozomi thought to herself, then spoke up.  “Well, Regina...this is sort of the same thing, but it’s a lot more important.  Most people don’t like to be...touched, just because you feel like getting friendly.”

“Why not?”

Luckily, this time Nozomi had an answer.  “Because they think you want to play with them the way you ‘play’ with Gemini.”

“Sex, Dream.”  Regina bluntly interjected.  “It’s called ‘sex’ and there’s nothing wrong with it.”

“Of course there isn’t,”  Nozomi easily slid past.  “I happen to have a wonderful boyfriend.  But there can be something wrong with sex if it’s with someone who doesn’t want to.”

“Right.  I know that….oh.”  Nozomi could almost hear the click coming from Regina’s head.  She briefly even wondered if she had heard it, and it was just some weird thing with the Jikochuu, but the girl pressed on before Nozomi could contemplate it further.  “I really didn’t mean to go any further.  Makoto just looked so tense and exhausted, and…”

“You want to be her friend?”  Nozomi asked, only to get a nod.  “Well then, in the morning you should apologize to her.”

“Yeah.  Thanks.  So I shouldn’t offer backrubs as a peace offering then?”

“...for now, let’s go with that.  There’s more, but…”  Nozomi started, but Regina hugged her, then vanished again.  “This girl’s going to need more help than I can give…”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

The small garden, filled more with greens than flowers, suited Tsubomi’s mood perfectly in the early morning light.  She sat next to the stone lantern, tapping idly on the tablet Alice had provided to give the whole thing one last look over.

It was better than thinking about last night.  

Still, she’d have to see the others again eventually.  Maybe she could take the early breakfast.  In fact, she’d resolved to do just that when she looked up and saw Gemini entering the garden.  

And walk straight to her, not even pausing.  “There you are.  I had a feeling you’d be out here, Blossom.”

“Ah, what did you need?”  Tsubomi tried to keep the nervousness out of her voice, but it didn’t work.

Gemini just smiled at that, and sat down next to her.  “Nothing, really.  Thanks for last night.  Regina really doesn’t need to think that we’re not accepting of her.”

“That’s not why I did it.”  Tsubomi shut off the tablet.  “Why do you do that, anyway?”

“Do what?”

“Call us by our Cure names?”

Gemini sighed.  “Because that’s how I know your other selves.  It’s not like you leave the Garden in civilian form.”

“The Garden?”  Tsubomi grinned.  “What’s that like?”

Gemini shrugged.  “Never been myself.  I hear it’s nice.  All I know for sure is it’s where the YTF’s Precure get to live.  If you’re not a Cure you need top clearance to get in and you need to go past four security checkpoints.  Cures have some other way in and out, but I’ve never been told what it is.”

“Who told you that?”

Gemini gave Tsubomi a sidelong glance.  “You, actually.  We don’t get to talk much, but there’s...an understanding.  I beat up the monsters, you and Marine finish them off.”

Tsubomi smiled a bit.  “I...you know, I think that’s the first bit of good news I’ve heard about your world.  It tells me there’s some hope.”

“Yeah.”  Gemini stood up suddenly.  “Look, I bet you have rice every day for breakfast.  How about a cafe?  My treat.”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Yayoi sipped at her tea, idly pushing her salad around on the breakfast plate.  As the last up, the kitchen was mostly closed down but they’d saved a bit for her.  She sighed, taking a bite of toast, and looked up into blue eyes barely two inches from her face.

“Hey, you okay?”  Erika asked her.  Seconds passed, before Yayoi jumped back.

“H..how do you DO that?”  

Erika shrugged.  “Well, it keeps me in shape, so I still practice Miyoudin style with Itsuki a bit.  Guess I’m light on m - Wait, you didn’t answer my question!”  She leaned in close again.  

Yayoi pushed back from the table.  “Uhm….I guess I’m just nervous.”

“What, you aren’t going through that portal, right?”  Erika shrugged.  “That’s the easy part, we’re just here to turn it on.”

“Yeah.”  Yayoi reached over to pick up her tea before Erika knocked it over.

Erika shrugged.  “Unless you’re secretly planning on jumping through at the last minute!”

“EEK!”

“Knew it!”  Erika grinned broadly at the exclamation.  “Yeah, I know your type.  I won’t tell anyone.”

“But, I mean, I’m no-”

“Nonsense!”  Erika grabbed the toast off the plate and took a bite.

“HEY!”

Erika gnawed on the bread for a moment.  “Oh, sorry, that was yours, right?  I get distracted.  But yeah, you should really just say what you’re feeling!  I’ll go tell Nagisa you changed your mind!  Seeya!”  Erika jumped up from the table and walked out of the dining room.

Yayoi tried to protest, but there were so many things she wanted to say they all died on her lips.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

“Gemini!”  Regina flew down the street of the small town.  Cars, busses, even a few people doing their morning shopping, but Regina didn’t care about that.  There was only one thing on her mind.  “GEMINI!!!!”  

A hand reached out and yanked her to the ground, and suddenly she was staring Miki right into the eye.  “What are you doing?” the dancer asked her.  “You can’t just fly around in broad daylight, what if someone takes a picture?”

“There’s no time for all that!  Gemini’s missing!”  Regina looked around.  “She wasn’t at breakfast, she wasn’t in bed when I woke up, she isn’t at the hotel, she isn’t at the cliff yet so there’s still time, we have to find her before she -”

“Regina, relax.”  Miki gave the hysterical girl a small shake.  “Pay attention.  Can you do that?”  Regina nodded.  “Tsubomi wasn’t at breakfast either.  I’m sure they’re fine and together.”

“Oh, so she went off with Blossom did she,”  Regina pouted petulantly at that news.

Miki giggled.  “Ah...are you jealous?”  Regina’s pout deepened into a scowl while Miki giggled uncontrollably.  “Regina, you have nothing to worry about from Tsubomi.  Or any other girl.”

“...yeah, right…”  Regina sank down to the ground.  “I...damn.  I’m an idiot, but we still need to find Gemini.”

Miki sensed a change in tone, rather than blind panic it was a sense of . . . well, just plain worry.  “Why?”

“Please, just trust me.  I need to check on her, just to be sure,”  Regina winced, realizing how that sounded.  “I mean, not that I don’t trust her to behave...sort of.  But…”

“Is there something wrong with her health?”  Regina nodded to the question.  “Should we have her see a doctor?”  A shake of the head.  “Can you tell me what it is?”  Another shake.  “Why not?”

“Because Gemini doesn’t know, all right?  And she can’t find out, she can’t!”  Regina put her hands on Miki’s shoulders.  “Promise me, Berry.  You have to promise!”

Miki winced.  “You should tell her, but I’ll let you decide when.  I don’t know how big this is, but you should really tell her before we get into another battle.”

“That’ll have to wait,”  The voice of a young boy came in Miki’s ear.  “So, one of Regina’s fake Precure, hmm?”  Miki jumped protectively in front Regina, looking at the short floating boy with the bat wings on his neck.  “Ah well, no skin off my back.  I know she’s a fake herself.”

Regina frowned.  “Not a fake, just kind of different.  Believe me, the power’s real.”

“Feh, whatever.  I cooked up a little something special just for today.  Take a look.”  Regina and Miki turned around to see a giant bunny rabbit.  “Of course, that’s not the only one.  Sent a whole hutch full of the little things out to play.”

Regina chuckled.  “Oh, clever, especially for you.”  Ira blinked at the compliment.  “The rabbits make most girls think they’re harmless, but a wild rabbit’s plenty dangerous, especially when you’re as small as we are.  Berry, take this seriously, but we’ll have to move fast.  I’ll get someone else to handle the cleanup.”  

“Wha-?  Hey, wait, Regina!”  Miki shouted, but Regina vanished.  It took Miki a moment to register that she’d not actually been abandoned but help was on the way, so she pulled out her Linkrun.  “Change!  Precure…Beat Up!”  Blue light filled the streets, and Cure Berry replaced Miki in a flash.  “The blue heart is the symbol of hope!”  She would have gone on with her introduction, but Ira was laughing.

“Oh god, that frilly dress, and where the heck are you keeping that pair!  Oh-hahaha!  Geez, Regina can’t even design a good Precure!”  He pointed at her, still laughing.  “I bet you can’t even move right in those heels!”

Cure Berry rolled her eyes.  In the days where she’d done this regularly, the reaction she would have had would be to get drawn into the insults.  But with a little more age and experience, just began her weaker attack.  “Espoir...SHOWER!”  

Ira jumped, realizing he was being attacked by a jet of solid water knocking him into the wall.  “...ow...that smarts…”  The evil rabbit...was just soaked, and looking pissed.

“What?”  Miki stared at the wet rabbit, stunned.  “That usually turns them back to normal.”

Ira stood up and shook off the hit.  “Heh, looks like you’re just a fake after all.  Get’er.”

Miki stared at the rabbit for a moment, then realized those teeth were rather large and headed for her neck.  She screamed and ran.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

A quiet cafe, with only a few customers in the late morning, saw Itsuki and Hikari sitting by the window.  Itsuki sipped at her tea, glancing out the window.  “So why did you come?” she asked.  “I mean, you are a faerie.  Sort of.  Close enough for it to be a problem.”

Hikari just smiled and took a quick bite of her pastry.  When Itsuki didn’t drop the subject, she just shrugged.  “Honoka and Nagisa need me.”

Itsuki swept some of her long blonde hair out of her eyes.  “Really?  Those two?  I mean, no offense, I’ve seen you in action too, but they’re strong enough to lift a battleship.  And they’ve more experience, if only by a year…”

Hikari just shrugged.  “That’s probably true.  I can’t explain it, just a feeling, but…”

Itsuki nodded to that.  The young woman in front of her was supposedly a piece of the Queen of Light, or looked at another way maybe a manifestation of the very concept.  No one knew how literally to take that, Itsuki included, but if Hikari felt that she was needed, there wasn’t really any room to argue.  “So, what have you been doing with yourself?”

“Liberal arts degree,”  Hikari grinned at the expression on Itsuki’s face.  “Well, actually that’s just a cover.  Honoka’s been encouraging me to work on my magical powers.  I think she wants to go public, but mostly I’ve been volunteering my time and working on becoming a guide.”

“Really?”  The younger girl blinked in astonishment.  “That sounds so…”

“Ordinary?”  Hikari’s smile didn’t falter.  “I’m just a normal girl.  But I came to this world as anything but.  My friends were wonderful in making me feel secure being here, helping me learn what this world is like.  I want to help other people do the same.  Even if it’s just helping one part of this world connect to ours…”

Itsuki seemed about to respond, when she heard a scream.  Looking out the window, she saw an explosion of pink light in the distance.  “Tsubomi!”  But her worry for her friend was immediately replaced with sheer stupefaction at the sight of Cure Berry, tearing down the street at a clip that had to be approaching the sound barrier, being pursued by a giant bunny. She started to bolt out of her chair, but felt a restraining hand on her shoulder.  “Hikari!  What are you doing?”

“Don’t worry,”  Hikari grinned.  “She looks like she has everything under control.”

“We’ve got to help!”  Itsuki countered.

Hikari sipped at her coffee.  “We will.  Finish your tea.  Right now we’ll be more hindrance than help.”

“Are you crazy?”

Hikari’s voice remained serene.  “No.  I just know where these things usually end up.  We’ll be better off waiting for everyone to gather in one place.”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Gemini patted her stomach.  “Oh, kami, I have not been eating this good regularly for months!”

Tsubomi giggled softly.  “You just wanted to treat yourself.”

“Well, that too.”  Gemini folded her arms behind her head as she walked.  “But thanks.  It’s nice just being...normal...again…”

Tsubomi shook her head.  “It’s no problem, Gemini.  But we should probably call someone, I just realized.”

“Oh,”  Gemini went a bit pale.  “Regina’s probably beside herself.  And we don’t have cell phones.”

“Why not?”

“No account on this side.”

“Oh…”  Tsubomi frowned, but then her jaw dropped.  Charging down the street was another of the Jikochuu Rabbits.  “Shoot!  Chypre!”  There was no answer from her faerie.  “Oh no, we left her back at the inn!”

Gemini pulled out her Commune and looked at a small bar on the side.  “Just enough charge left.”  She frowned, then looked at Tsubomi.  “No time.  Get out your Perfume, I might be able to use the Commune to charge it.”

“Huh?”  Tsubomi pulled out the small artifact that looked like a perfume bottle, only to have Gemini snatch it.  

It took a moment, but slowly energy flowed from the Commune into the slot for a matching trinket and briefly solidified.  Gemini handed it back, her eyes faded to a dull purple.  “G..go.”

Tsubomi concentrated for a moment...it felt different from usual, but she realized that that was probably Gemini’s unusual method.  “Precure, OPEN MY HEART!”  Moments later, Cure Blossom was standing on the street...and Gemini, still in her civilian form, was collapsed against the wall.  “Gemini!”

“You’ve got one minute!”  Gemini growled out.  “Don’t wait around!”

“R-right!”  Blossom turned to the rabbit and steeled herself, throwing herself at the beast fist first.  Gemini groaned at the lack of form, but Blossom seemed to be strong enough to use raw power to substitute for some technique.  The rabbit flew back down the street, but landed on its’ feet and came back at her.

Blossom leapt over the monster, only to take a kick from the hind legs straight to her midsection and fly down the street with a cry of pain.  At the same time, Gemini doubled over at her own stomach.  Blossom stood up and saw Gemini laying there.  It didn’t take her long to make the connection, and she pulled out the Blossom Tact.  “...Pink Forte WAVE!”  The Jikochuu was enveloped in the energy.  At the same moment, Gemini began to scream.  

Blossom almost stopped, but Gemini shouted “I’ll be fine if you finish it NOW!”  Blossom nodded, and let loose with her own scream of effort, her power lifting the monster bunny off the ground.  Another flash of light later, and an ordinary rabbit fell back down.  Blossom quickly dismissed the transformation and lifted Gemini up.  “..go..good work,”  Gemini grunted out.  “...I’ll...I’ll be all right in a few hours…”

“Why?”  Tsubomi’s eyes watered.  “Why would you hurt yourself like that?”

“It was the only way to stop it from hurting someone else…”  Gemini kept breathing.  “The inn’s...not far...let’s go pick up your partner...so I don’t have to...do that again…”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Makoto adjusted her sunglasses for the hundredth time since setting out from the inn for a day of fun and relaxation.  The furo there wouldn’t open until noon, but there were others in town, plus all sorts of little touristy ‘attractions’ including a small theme park.  They had decided not to go to that, though, but were left with nothing to do but wander.  And so, the four of them did.  

Of course, there was something Makoto was wrestling with, and it seemed like about the right time to mention it.  No one around but them, so there was little to no chance of it getting back to Gemini who almost certainly shouldn’t hear it.

She took a deep breath and then Davi jumped up in front of her.  “I sense darkness!  A lot of it-davie!”

Makoto blinked.  “I’ll tell you girls later!  Which way?”

“Most of it is in the town square-sharu!”  With a nod, the four girls quickly rallied and transformed.  They quickly made their way to the town square, but were surprised to find things seemed to have already been taken care of...well, in theory.

Cures Bloom, Egret, Windy, and Bright were already on the scene, bouncing around to avoid the gnashing teeth of three of the Jikochuu with seemingly the greatest ease.  Sword watched as Egret floated onto a stop sign that one of the monsters crashed into, landing easily on a street lamp that was tall enough to shine light down on the statue in the middle of the square.  “Bloom!  Bright!”

With a cry of acknowledgement, they each grabbed one of the other lamps and pulled it out of the ground.  Sword felt her jaw dropping, and looked to the others to see if she was going as delusional as it felt like.  Seeing them equally stunned, she turned her attention back as Egret and Windy flew in circles around the Jikochuu, pulling them in tighter and tighter with kicks to push them to the center.

When there was no more room, both women leapt back to allow Bloom and Bright to swing their improvised weapons with their full might.  The metal groaned and warped under the strain, wrapping around the Jikochuu and, with one last kick, becoming a tight ring holding the three together.

“Amazing,”  Sword managed to find her words first, and Bloom heard and looked over her shoulder.  

“Hey, what kept ya?”

Mana shook her head out.  “Uhm...nothing, we just didn’t want to get in your way.”

“Ah,”  Bloom chuckled.  “Well, that’s okay I guess, you can get the next ones.”

“Eh?”

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Els ewhere, Cure Berry was still running down the street.  While she could easily evade the Jikochuu’s jaws if she stayed in front of it, the thing was tireless.  And Berry was quickly coming to the conclusion that, even with magic and her training schedule, she was not.  If this kept up she knew she wouldn’t make it.

And her cell phone was in her civilian form.  Great.  She couldn’t take even a moment to change back to call for help.  She quickly looked for an escape, and noticed that there were people everywhere.  Peeking out of their windows, stopping on the street to gawk.  “What are you doing?!  Get out of the way!”

No one paid attention.  The cheers and calls for her to fight the monster reached her ears, and she realized They’ve only seen Precure fights on TV!  The news edits things for time, they don’t realize how long the fights take, or that they’re dangerous!  Berry kept moving, slowing down to make sure the lapine threat didn’t lose interest in her.

She was just beginning to sweat when she heard a primal scream of terror.  She started to skid to a halt, but the scream continued, and then Cure Peace turned the corner and ran straight into her before she could stop.  The two Cures fell to the ground in a tangle of limbs splayed out at all angles.  Berry rubbed her head.  “Peace, don’t your powers work?”

“Huh?!  I just started running!”  Peace shrieked.  “The strange woman was scary, and then the teeth and the hopping and AHHH!!!”  The pair were sent flying by a head-butt from the rabbit that had been chasing Peace.

“...Ji-ko-chuuuu,”  The deep voices came from both of the creatures simultaneously.

Berry looked at Peace incredulously, but it was obvious the girl was too spooked to be much help just yet.  “Follow my lead!”  She turned and ran for the town square.  Peace swallowed her fear and managed to follow, the rabbits in hot pursuit.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Heart wiped the sweat from her brow.  "Whew.  That's fourteen,"  

Diamond seemed considerably more winded, taking deep gasps of breath.  "I don't know if we can keep this up.  Sure, they're not packing the usual punch but there's so many of them!"

"Then we'll just have to keep fighting.  Take a quick break Diamond,"  Cure Rosetta said, not unkindly but firmly.  "How many more can there be?"

That was when the last thing any of them expected happened.  A fairy, blue-bellied white with rabbit-like ears, was running up the street, screaming his head off.  

Sword spun into action first, "Precure Sparkle Sword!"  The small lances of energy found their targets, and moments later two more rabbits were hopping away from the Precure in confusion.  "All right, who are you and what are you doing here?"

Heart sighed.  "Sorry to be rude, but we're pretty busy here."

The fairy panted heavily.  "I'm Mipple.  Nagisa's friend-mipu."

Diamond nodded quickly.  "Why are you out here by yourself?"

"I wasn't planning on it-mipu," the fairy snorted derisively.  "But someone had their cell phones off-mipu!"

Rosetta stepped in, waving her hands in a placating gesture.  "Now, now.  What was Nagisa's message?"

"There's twenty of themipu!"  he suddenly shouted, remembering.  "They're all over the city!"

Heart quickly started ticking off on her fingers.  "Well, most of them made their way here.  It's not really a surprise, the whole town's designed to channel traffic through the town square..."  She looked up.  "Wait, do you hear something?"

"HAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLP!"  Regina screamed as she ran.  "Jikochuu!"  Sure enough, two more of the hutch were behind her.  Heart pulled back on her bow.  "Wait!  Don't shoot me!"

Heart gulped nervously.  "Sorry, forgot."

"How could you 'forget' a thing like that?"  Regina's eyes widened in panic as she looked at the girl, getting close.  "Wait, NOW!"

“Lovely...SHOOT!”  Regina hit the ground as the single arrow of magic purified the two rabbits that were gaining on her.

"Sorry about that."  Regina sat up, rubbing some dirt off her sleeve.  

Diamond gave her a look.  "Why didn't you just use your magic?"

"Those are people!  What do you want me to do, kill them?"  Regina snapped.  "Sorry, you didn't know.  Yeah, my powers can make more and blast them just fine, but can't heal."

Diamond nodded slowly.  "Right, I'm sorry too."

Sword frowned.  "That's only 18, where's the..."  Cure Berry and Cure Peace ran right behind her, her hair fluttering in the backwash from their passing.  "...never mind."

"Precure Diamond Shower!"  Diamond spun and tried to freeze the last of the Jikochuu in place...but missed.  “EEP!”

“Luminous Hartiel Action!”  An answering shout filled the square with rainbow light, and everyone turned to see the young woman with the long, flowing pigtails.  Wand in hand, Shiny Lumionous grinned at the whole group.  “There, see Sunshine?  Right on time.”

Sunshine glared at Luminous for a moment, but just shrugged.  “Okay, that worked out.”  The Shiny Tambourine was in her hand a moment later, and the square filled with sunflowers and sparkling light with a cry of “Precure Gold Forte Burst!”.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Nagisa sighed, snapping her cell shut.  "Tomorrow morning.  Unbelievable.  And just to really make my month, those Jikochuu things know we're about to bow out with most of their usual opponents.  Can this get any worse?"  Because the universe has a sense of humor, that was when the door slid open, revealing Tsubomi mostly dragging Gemini through it.  "...."

Tsubomi gasped, letting Gemini fall off her shoulder into a sitting position as gently as she could.  "I'm sorry, we left Chypre and the others here and then these rabbits and Gemini activated my Perfume and..."

Gemini put a finger on Tsubomi's lips, looking pale and shaky.  "It's all right, Blossom.  I'm fine, really."

Nagisa shook her head.  "All right, you've got my trust for now.  Whatever you did out there you obviously took a big hit for it."

"Lovely,"  Gemini groaned, trying to force herself to stand and falling over after a shaky attempt.  Tsubomi made a little 'eep' of dismay, prompting a laugh.  "Blossom, I'm fine, really.  Get your partner and get out there."

"Belay that,"  Nagisa interjected.  "Without Honoka I'm down my powers.  Looks like you're out of commission too.  Me, not so important, but we'll need you on the other side.  Tsubomi, you and the others stay in case this is a distraction."

Tsubomi was torn, a situation not helped when Gemini glared at her.  "Don't listen to her.  Regina can fix me up with the Commune, go."

"Stay."  Nagisa said again.  "Doesn't matter if she can make you throw the Jikochuu into orbit if she isn't here.  Right now you're injured."

"Who cares?! "  Gemini growled back.  "Blossom, get going and help the others!"

Tsubomi shook her head.  "No, Miss Misumi's right.  I have to protect you most of all right now."

Gemini flopped back onto the tatami, defeated.  "Can you at least get me to my room and on a futon?"

Nagisa chuckled.  "That, I think we can manage..."

"...wait.  Blossom, take my sword."  Tsubomi blinked, but grabbed the weapon as instructed.  "Just...just in case."

"Right."  Tsubomi reached out to take hold of the weapon like it was going to bite her when Nagisa's cell phone rang.

"Hello..."  Nagisa nodded.  "Oh, good, I'll tell them,"  She hung up quickly.  "That was Mana.  She says the problem's taken care of."

"Oh, good."  Gemini promptly passed out.