Pride And Prejudice Fan Fiction ❯ Pride: Vice or Virtue? ❯ CHAPTER IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
CHAPTER IV
Once breakfast had been cleared away, and everyone had gone to their work and such, Kaelin set out on her exploration. She opened the door, stepping out into glorious sunshine. She skipped down the steps, taking two at a time. She looked up, spreading her arms out, welcoming the warmth of the sun. The sky was a brilliant blue, going in gradients, in and out. It went from a pure sky blue, to a gray tint of the color. Puffy white clouds weaved in and out of the sky, creating a most unique design. Looking up at the sky made Kaelin feel free; as if she had no cares at all in the world, or as if she could just float upwards.
She closed her eyes, sighed, and just stood there for a moment. She was completely unaware of a pair of deep-ocean blue eyes observing her peculiar manner from an upstairs window.
Kaelin opened her eyes, and started by stepping off the path. She walked around the house to the back, then started wandering aimlessly through the back yard. Most of the grass near the house was a beautiful, perfect, crisp green color, barely interrupted by any patches of brown or yellow. As she started getting farther and farther away from the house, the height of the grass increased dramatically. Within a few minutes, it was brushing up against her boots and then reaching up to her waist.
She walked through the grass, brushing her fingertips along the very tips of the grass. The girl twirled around, practically dancing with the wind as her partner. She twirled until she got to the edge of the open field, and where the trees to the forest began. She looked in back of her to see if anyone was there, and then started walking into the forest.
She side-stepped over roots, feet kept firmly on the ground. She walked around the trees and bushes, not wanting to step on them. Tiny purple and light blue flowers bloomed in odd places on the ground. Ferns and spots of grass popped up randomly.
Walking through the forest for a good hour was quite an enjoyable thing for Miss Kaelin. It was immensely entertaining for her, and she found a great deal of interesting things. She had seen quite an array of birds, and had even seen a nest of eggs in a tree.
She had completely lost track of the time, though in reality had walked for a little over two hours. She finally came out into more open area. She thought she saw something large and was curious as to what it was, so she kept walking. She came to a dirt pathway, which led through a pathway with trees on each side. Pink flowers and ferns lined the pathway as well.
"Excuse me?"
Kaelin whirled around.
Standing a mere three meters away from herself was a young woman looking of the same age as herself. She had a kind disposition, even though her face had a clear state of confusion. She had brown hair drawn up into a loose bun, and wavy bangs which fell to her eyebrows. She had an off-white dress with very thin mahogany stripes and long sleeves. Her eyes were a very kind and pleasing shade of brown. She had a brown, leather-bound book clasped in her hands.
"Excuse me, but might I ask if I might help you with something?"
Kaelin curtsied. "I apologize, ma'am. I was just walking around, exploring the forests, and I happened to come out here."
The girl smiled, came forward, and curtsied. "I believe I can understand what you mean quite perfectly. I, too, am very fond of walking, and sometimes end up in places I do not remember walking to. Forgive me; my name is Elizabeth Bennet."
Kaelin smiled at the girl, feeling as if they could be close acquaintances, possibly even friends. “The name I use is Kaelin Smith, but you might call me Kaelin, if you wish it.”
Elizabeth grinned quite agreeably. “Well, would you possibly like to come inside? I am sure that you must be a tired from walking for so long. The idea of resting you legs for a while would seem like a good one, yes?”
Kaelin nodded. “Oh, thank you. I hope it is no imposition-”
“Of course not, Miss Kaelin! Come,” Elizabeth said, leading Kaelin down the dirt path. They came up to the door of a fairly nice sized, brick house. They went through the wooden door, and into their foyer.
A older woman stood arranging flowers in the window sill. She looked up in surprise at seeing another young woman enter with Elizabeth. “My dear, Elizabeth! Who is this?”
Elizabeth smiled at the woman. “This is Miss Kaelin Smith. I found her walking about outside, and invited her to come inside and possibly stay for a short while. Unless you have any objections...?”
The woman shook her head, yet looked uneasily at Kaelin. “No, I have no objections to her staying for a short while. Do you or your parents own a home in Meryton?”
“Oh, no, ma’am! I am a guest at Netherfield Park-”
The woman’s manner changes entirely. “My goodness! Netherfield Park! My dear, I’m so sorry at the state of the house. Please, follow me into the drawing room. Betsy! Will you put on some tea, and do make haste!” The woman grabbed Kaelin’s hand and almost dragged her into their drawing room. Elizabeth laughed and followed.
While being towed, Kaelin heard the laughter of more girls coming down the stairs from some part of the house. The woman finally let go of Kaelin’s hand.
“Please, Miss Smith, do be seated! Our servant will get the tea soon, I hope. Oh, where are my manners? I am Mrs. Bennet; Elizabeth’s mother. I have four oth-”
Right then, four more girls came running into the room.
“Mama, tell Kitty that I should be able to wear Jane’s pink dress to the ball!”
“Oh no, Mama, Jane promised me! Tell Lydia that it would go much better with my shoes that I bought from town yesterday!”
“My dears, please, hold you tongues!” cried Mrs. Bennet. “You are going to drive my nerves positively crazy with all of your yammering! And if you ladies hadn’t been so caught up, you would have noticed that we have a very important guest!”
The girls all quieted immediately.
Kaelin stood up. “I am very pleased to meet you all. I am Kaelin Smith.” She curtsied.
Mrs. Bennet started to introduce her daughters. Each young woman curtsied in turn. “This is my eldest daughter, Jane.” She had honey blonde hair drawn up into a bun, pleasing light blue eyes, and a kind smile that seemed to brighten by the minute. She wore a dress that matched her eyes perfectly, as if to be made in order to match. “Next would be Miss Elizabeth in age, and then Mary.” Mary had very dark brown hair, and thin lips drawn into a tight, small smile, and dark eyes. She wore a dark olive colored dress. “After would be Kitty, and then my dear Lydia.” Kitty and Lydia looked very similar, almost like twins. Their dressed matched, both yellow, and had similar hair color to Elizabeth. Their hair was drawn back into sections, and curled. Two or three of the sections were brought to the very back of their heads and tied with ribbons that matched their dresses. Their eyes shone of giddiness, eager to find out more about the newcomer.
“Absolutely delighted,” Kaelin complimented. “All of your daughters are very beautiful, Mrs. Bennet. I’m sure you are quite proud.”
“Yes, I am quite proud! I dare say that they are some of the more handsome girls in the area. No offense to Miss Lucas, of course, or the other young women, yet they are not nearly as handsome as my Jane. She has gotten so many compliments of her beauty-”
“Mama!” Jane protested.
“Oh, just hear her modesty! She will make someone a wonderful companion one day, and I hope it shall be sooner than later.”
Kaelin looked at Jane, who was looking down, utterly embarrassed. Her face was a deep shade of red. Her eyes glanced up at Kaelin, who smiled at her. She seemed to be grateful for the look, for her posture righted itself a bit more, gaining confidence. Kaelin then looked at Elizabeth, who was glaring at her mother.
Betsy then came in with a tray for the tea and a few biscuits and cookies.
“Yes, thank you, Betsy,” Mrs. Bennet said as Betsy then curtsied and left the room. “So, Miss Smith, you are staying at Netherfield?”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Are you a relative of Mr. Bingley or Mr. Darcy’s?”
Kaelin blushed. “No, ma’am, neither men are my relatives. They are new acquaintances of mine, and have been offered to stay with them for a while.”
“I see... and what is your age, Miss Smith?”
Kaelin chuckled. “I am one and twenty, madam.”
The look that Mrs. Bennet gave her was an odd one. She seemed to go back and forth between the ideas that Kaelin was a very nice girl, yet was possible competition for her daughters.
Kaelin sipped her tea. “So are you close neighbors to the Bingleys?”
“Yes, fairly. They are newly settled here, though I hope that they will continue to stay here. They are such positively pleasant and elegant neighbors, and such wonderful manners! They helped my Jane a great deal and put up both her and Elizabeth when Jane had fallen ill during, what was supposed to be, a short visit! Mr. Bingley was especially attentive to her,” she said, seeming to point out that she wished for Mr. Bingley and her Jane to be particularly close.
Kaelin smiled good naturedly. “I see. I agree in any and all compliments that you give to the gentleman, for he is a very amiable man and I am sure that he would make a wonderful husband.” She smiled at Jane, seeing Jane’s slight pink color at hearing Bingley’s name.
“She must fancy him... and with perfectly good reason. They seem to be a good match for each other, at least from what I have seen.”
A man then interrupted their conversation.
Elizabeth stood up, a great smile on her face. “Papa! I thought you to be out.”
Mr. Bennet smiled at his favorite daughter. “Yes, but I recently returned.” He then turned his attentions to his wife. “Mrs. Bennet, I hope that you have prepared for Mr. Collins’ visit. He should be arriving within the period of today, or the day after tomorrow.”
“Yes, yes, Mr. Bennet, I have prepared as much as I could possibly have!” she said, impatiently. Mr. Bennet then nodded, and left the room.
Kaelin tilted her head, intrigued by the subject of the interruption. “Are you expecting someone?”
Elizabeth answered. “Yes, we are. Our cousin, Mr. Collins, is coming to pay a visit.”
“Yes, and such an abrupt visit it is! I could have better prepared, had I been given more notice. I say, that man is probably so impatient to gain the right to this house-!”
“Excuse me, madam,” said an elder servant. “But there is a Mr. Darcy here, inquiring about the whereabouts of a Miss Smith.” She then bowed, and stepped aside for someone to enter the room.
Mr. Darcy walked into the room, seeming a tad unsettled. He looked around the room of women, finally settling his gaze upon Kaelin. He seemed to calm down immediately.
“Mr. Darcy,” Mrs. Bennet said with a chill to her voice. “I am sorry; we were not expecting you to visit.”
Darcy bowed his head, then replied. “Yes, Mrs. Bennet, I apologize for this sudden visit. Yet I was wondering if you had seen Miss Smith. I see that she is here, and I must apologize, but I am under orders to bring her back to Netherfield. She has been gone for over three hours, and Mr. Bingley was starting to wonder how interesting his estate actually was, considering the lengthy amount of time she has spent exploring.”
Kaelin blushed, then addressed Darcy, standing up from her seat. “I apologize, Mr. Darcy, for making you come all this way in order to get me. I assure you that I am able to find my own way back...”
Darcy’s right corner of his mouth twitched, suppressing a smile. “Yes, but I am under strict orders to bring you back myself. We have quite a walk back, Miss Smith.”
Kaelin nodded, then turned to the Bennets. “Thank you so much for your hospitality, and I am very pleased to meet you all. I hope I will see you all again.”
“Of course, Miss Smith, come when ever you like!” said Elizabeth as the women all curtsied. Kaelin then turned and walked out of the room. Mr. Darcy made a quick bow, then followed Kaelin out of the house.
Kaelin walked at a very quick pace, slightly resenting Mr. Darcy for interrupting her visit with the Bennets. Though Mrs. Bennet seemed to have some odd manners about her, the family was quite pleasant in general. She wished that she had had more time to visit with them.
She walked in the direction of the woods. Darcy had to almost jog to keep up with her unexpectedly lengthy strides. “Excuse me, Miss Smith, but for what reason are you walking towards the woods?”
Kaelin kept her eyes set towards her desired destination. “I believe that a straight line is a shorter path to an objective, rather than working around the obstacles set in ones way of their purpose.”
Darcy lengthened his own strides to match hers, wondering why she was in such a hurry. Did she merely wish to get back to Netherfield, or did she mean to loose Mr. Darcy and leave him behind to walk along the path from Longbourn to Netherfield. Either way, he continued to walk with her, across the Bennets’ farmland and into the trees that would lead them to Netherfield Park.
After a while of walking, they came to a place quite familiar to Mr. Darcy. He slowed down, looking around. “This is where Bingley and I found her...”
He looked around, seeing the hoof prints from the horses, the boot prints from himself and his friend, and then the indentation in the mud where Kaelin’s body had been laying.
Kaelin looked back at Mr. Darcy, surprised at seeing him slow his pace. They had previously kept up a quite steady pace throughout their hike, and both had silently refused to go any slower. “Is something wrong, Mr. Darcy?”
He did not reply.
Kaelin looked around, trying to figure his reason for stopping so abruptly. She then saw the prints made in the mud. One pair matched a pair of boots that had made recent prints through the forest. She tracked the recent tracks, and saw that they lead to Mr. Darcy. The then saw the two spots that he was staring at. One looked to be a wide indentation, enough for one average-sized girl to lay in. The other was a bush that looked quite pathetic. It looked at if someone had decided that it was not a bush at all, but a chair or bench perhaps.
The lady turned to Mr. Darcy. “Is this where....?”
He nodded, saying nothing.
She walked over to the sad-looking bush, then turned to Mr. Darcy. “Might I ask what happened here?”
Darcy tried to keep a straight face while explaining. “Bingley and myself were riding about Netherfield, when a storm came upon us. We were trying to travel back home, when the horse I was using was spooked...”
Kaelin then glanced back at the spot. She then burst into laughter. It was not harsh or mean laughter, but she entered a teasing sort of mood, as if playing along with a joke. “Possibly your horse did not like its environment?”
Darcy did not reply immediately, but replied eventually. “I don’t believe that anyone out there at that point in time would have.” He meant to stop her talking and continue their journey back.
Kaelin noticed the hint, yet did not take it. “Or perhaps the issue was not the environment or weather, but she rider?” She laughed, only poking fun at the situation. “I am sure that your skills of riding are great, yet I suppose that not even the stately and proper Mr. Darcy could stop an animal from throwing him into a bush!”
Darcy’s face flamed a brilliant red. He knew that the comments said should not affect him so greatly, for in the back of his mind he was aware that she was merely teasing him, and nothing more. He knew that the comment was not one made out of meanness, yet he could not control himself.
“Madam, I assure you that you would not have been able to tame this horse,” he said coldly.
The girl seemed surprised at his change in manner. She then glared. “Are you possibly saying that I claim to be a better rider than yourself?” She walked slowly closer to him until she was less than a foot away, glaring up into his face and him down into hers.
“I mean nothing of the sort, yet even if you claim this to be true, I will shoot down such a swell in your pride immediately.”
“A swell in my pride? I do not think myself that vain, Mr. Darcy, unlike others I could mention!” she cried, loosing her temper with the man.
“Well, possibly it was that vanity and pride that made you as heavy as you were!”
“Heavy! I thought I made my gratefulness and apologies clear on the imposition that I presented to you and Mr. Bingley-”
“Yes, madam, you did, though you were more trouble than you could believe yourself to be. Bingley and myself rescuing you was a feat indeed, and with little benefit, it seems. You have imposed, as you said, upon Mr. Bingley, and caused the both of us to mess up the finer of our riding clothes. I, myself, was thrown off of my horse and lost my hat because of how sudden your appearance was!”
“I am sorry to have wounded your dignity, then, Mr. Darcy!”
Both pairs of blue eyes glared up at each other, neither wanting to back down. Her eyes seemed to flare up, and she yellow near the center more able to be seen. His seemed quite opposite, becoming cold and unfeeling as ice.
Then something happened that shocked Mr. Darcy. Small tears seemed to start forming in her eyes, though it seemed that even she was unaware of them. This appearance of water seemed uncharacteristically to melt part of the ice in his eyes, yet did not affect the fire within hers.
Kaelin then turned, and started walking fast, diverting slightly to the left of the path they had decided on to Netherfield. Darcy left as well, going more to the right of the path, and arrived at Netherfield manor before her.

Both participants of the argument did not see each other for the rest of the day until dinner, which was an unhappy affair. Everyone in the room seemed to sense the heavy feeling emanating from both Mr. Darcy and Miss Smith. Both parties refused to contribute to, let alone start, any form or subject of conversation. Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst talked the whole time about how their visit into Meryton had gone. They commented on the cleanliness of the shops, the members of the militia that they had seen; anything at all to fill up the silence that would occur if they failed to talk.
They had a wonderful dinner of ham, boiled potatoes, green beans, sugared sweet potatoes, and other smaller dishes. Unfortunately, the set up of who sat next to who was not well-arranged. Bingley sat at the head; Mr. Hurst at the foot of the table. Caroline sat to her brother’s left, with Mrs. Hurt next to her. Bingley’s right was Mr. Darcy, and Miss Kaelin next to him. Both refused to look up from their plates, and were the first to finish their suppers.
After the uncomfortable event of dinner, Bingley happily suggested to retiring to the drawing room, which everyone did. The card-playing tables were brought out, and a game was decided: a setup of one on one. Darcy, seeing that he would have to play Miss Kaelin, decided to obtain a book and read. Kaelin, seeing his decision, decided the same, and got a book from one of the tables. She sat on the opposite side of the room from him, and refused to speak to anyone. Caroline and Louisa attempted to persuade Mr. Darcy to join them, saying that they could play a game for three. He finally agreed to their proposition, and set down his book, which Kaelin pretended not to notice.
Darcy was one of the last ones to leave, refusing to leave until Kaelin had. She had risen from her chair at the opposite end of the room from the fireplace, where his had been. She set down her book on one of the tables. She quickly asked for permission to retire from Bingley, which he readily gave.
“Yes, I am sure that you are quite tired from your expedition today! Get some rest, Miss Smith, and we shall see you tomorrow.”
She nodded then, without a look at Mr. Darcy, left the room.
Once he had said his own goodnights, he quickly went up to his room, changing into his nightclothes. He did not even bring up a book, for he thought himself quite tired. Darcy then snuffed all of the candles in his room, and laid underneath the covers in complete darkness.
He tried for sleep for a good hour or so. He shifted to different positions, tried sleeping without any comforters and different range of blankets and pillows, attempting to find something that would work, but was not allowed any satisfaction. He finally decided to try and read a book and tire his eyes out before attempting to sleep again.
Darcy slipped out of his bed and found the air quite cold. He put on a robe, and opened his door. He walked down the hallway, knowing the arrangement of furniture perfectly and therefore was in no need of any candles to light the way. He went down to the library, and finally found a book that should be a good read and would tire out his eyes.
Darcy was about to walk up the stairs when he heard the soft sound of steps coming down the very stairs he meant to climb. His eyes, quite adjusted to the dark, saw a figure smaller than his, and he immediately realized who it was. He slipped silently into the shadows, not wanting her to see him.
Kaelin stumbled on the last stair and looked around, trying to see if anyone had noticed her. Seeing no one, she turned the corner around the main staircase. It was extremely dark here, but it was the only path she knew to the kitchens. She passed within inches of the hiding Darcy. He noticed that she was actually wearing a nightgown of her own possession, and not one that Miss Bingley had supplied her with. She had a dark brown men’s coat over it, and her bag in her hands.
“Does she mean to run away?” he wondered.
Kaelin passed so close that the very hem of her dress skimmed Mr. Darcy’s bare calf, making him shiver. She did not notice him at all, and continued to walk. Curious as to what she was doing, he silently followed her. He tailed her, seeing her destination was the kitchens. She looked around and, seeing no servants about, walked over to the door. She had merely put her hand on the door knob.
“Miss Smith!” he whispered, grabbing her forearm with his freezing hands.
The girl whirled about, sending her hair and dress flying. She had the look of utter surprise, which turned to an icy glare when she saw who the man was.
“Mr. Darcy... what are you doing up so late?”
He fought to keep his face fixed as he replied. “I was about to ask you the same thing. What do you mean by running away from Netherfield?”
She smiled coldly at him, her eyes gleaming in the dark. Even now, her eyes were luminescent in the dark, making her expressions easy to see. “I assure you, Mr. Darcy, that I am not running away. Though I am apparently vain and proud, I am no coward. If I must leave, I will tell my host of my leaving. In addition, I do not see how it would be of any importance to you, considering how much of a problematic bother I am. Now, if you will so kindly release me, I must be on my way,” she replied quite formally.
Darcy then realized that he was still holding her arm, and released it without delay. “Might I inquire as to where you are you going at such an hour, Miss Smith?”
“It is of no importance to you. And please do not follow me, for I will not be as polite as I am trying to be now.” She then nodded to him. “Good evening, Mr. Darcy.”
Kaelin opened the door, slipped around and through the small space, and disappeared into the night.
Darcy stayed fixed to that spot for a few minutes in a sort of amazement at her manner towards him. He then shook his head and went back up to his room.

Mr. Darcy read as much of his book as he could until he did weary his eyes out to a point that it hurt to keep them open. He set it aside, and blew out the candles yet again.
Even though his eyes wanted the sleep desperately, the mind, now, did not. He knew he should not care about Kaelin. He did not know much about her and of her rank in society or anything of the sort. Yet something about her made him worry about her. He tried to make himself think that it was because he was a gentleman, and the fact that she had gone out into the night without an escort would make anyone uneasy. That guilt and concern gnawed at his thoughts as he slipped in and out of sleep. He even dreamt a few times of the horrors that she could be going through out there.
Kaelin had, in his dream, been walking angrily through the forest when she had heard howls and other horrifying sounds of various animals, all wishing her harm. She had been running, terrified, through the woods, arms pumping, trying to get away from the horrible creatures. She had then stopped, a look of calm on her face and a glazed look covering her miraculous eyes, and pointed to Mr. Darcy, who had been yelling for her to come to him. He did not know how, but he knew that he could take her to safety. The animals started to attack her as she whispered, “The fault lies with you, Darcy...”

He had then woken up, covered in sweat. Darcy realized that his covers had been thrown to the end of the bed and onto the floor by his apparent thrashing during the nightmare. He held his face in his hands, regretting not following Kaelin, regardless of her threats. He paced about his room, looking out his window for any sign of a white nightgown. Darcy’s ears seemed to prick as he heard the faint closing of a door. He hurried over to his door, and peered outside.
Tiptoeing down the hallway, still in her nightgown, was Miss Smith. She was trying to silently get back to her room, it seemed. She kept looking behind her, as if thinking that someone was following her. Darcy then noticed that her nightgown was covered in filth. Dirt and mud seemed to be caked on her hem four inches up. Her arms were now bare, and covered in a similar fashion as her dress. New cuts and mud were covering them, and they seemed to be clutching something. Whatever it was, it was wrapped up in the jacket she had been wearing earlier. Darcy watched her until she was out of sight, and then closed his door.
Relief flowed over Darcy like a calming, freshwater wave as he leaned against the door for support. “She’s safe... she’s all right... there was no reason for me to be so upset over her absence!” he reasoned. Darcy then returned to his bed and fell asleep within the next few minutes to a much more undisturbed slumber.