Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ "Catch Me When I Fall" ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Catch Me When I Fall"

By Andrea Readwolf <andrea_readwolf @hotmail.com>

Chapter: 2/?

Rating: R

Pairings: Golden Pair and others

Genre: Angst, AU, drama, yaoi

Warnings: This story is a work of fiction and the author is fairly ignorant of most medical matters--Paralysis included. Please excuse any inconsistencies or falseness on the subject.

Spoilers: Seigaku University (?)

Summary: One wrong turn can change you life forever

Disclaimer: Tennis no Ohjisama, characters and settings are the property of Konomi Takeshi.

Date Started: June 6, 2004

Status: incomplete

Revised:

Word Count:

"Catch Me When I Fall" Part 2 by Andrea Readwolf

~Eiji~

He felt...weird.

Yeah, that was a good word to describe it.

It was like he was floating outside of his body, 'cause he couldn't *feel* his body, and he was *always* hyper-aware of his body. Syuichiroh used to tease him about being over sensitive, especially whenever they were together, but the other man didn't seem to mind when it meant incredible lovemaking. When just a simple brush of fingers over his arm, teasing the small hairs there, was enough to make him moan sometimes--he was convinced Syuichiroh liked touching him *almost* as much as he liked to be touched....

But now... he couldn't really *feel* *anything*... it was strange, because his other senses didn't seem to be affected.

He could *hear* just fine--the tiny beeps and whirls and hisses. Someone was breathing softly nearby. A voice on a paging system calling for Dr. So-and-So. Moans and groans and wails drifting from other areas.

He could *smell* just fine, too--the overwhelming odor of disinfectant and sanitizer... traces of his mother's lilac perfume... the clean scent of Syuichiroh's soap.

So it didn't take a genius to figure out he was in a hospital, and since he didn't remember getting here, it was probably a very good bet he was the one in the hospital bed and wasn't just here for a social call. But wh--

It was like jumping into a pool of ice water--

The game, Seigaku U versus Hyotei U. Syuichiroh and he against Yuushi and Gakuto--it was always a good game when they played each other, and their scores were tied for the most part. They were actually *in* the tiebreaker.

He remembered Syuichiroh's voice, calling his name--his partner knew it, too. The jump was bad; the landing would be bad. Apparently, it had been really bad if he was in the hospital. He could remember the panic and horror he'd seen in Syuichiroh's eyes, so clear and bright, right before the pain exploded through him.

Gods, that had hurt.

Note to self: find a better way to crash land.

He tried to move, shift a little--he wanted something to drink to get the yucky cotton-y taste out of his mouth, and he was pretty sure he would have to go to the bathroom, too, since he always did once he'd woken up--but his body didn't want to respond.

Hn. That was strange.

He tried to feel his body again and frowned--at least he *thought* he frowned--when he realized he still couldn't. He could sort of feel his head, but his head was buzzing and hurting and he really didn't care to feel anymore dizzy or nauseous so he tried focusing on his neck, shoulders.... anything.... There was a dim twinge from his neck and shoulders, but other than that.....

Nothing.

That wasn't good.

Cautiously, he tried to blink his eyes open and was sullenly mollified when his eyelids obeyed, creasing open just barely to peek out at the world around him.

It was dark--or, at least, dim.

He couldn't turn his head, so there wasn't much to see, but...

"Syuichiroh, you should go home," Fuji said quietly, walking up to the bed with a coffee can. "It's late."

"Thanks," Oishi replied, taking the can. "But I... I can't leave. I..."

"It's all right; I understand," the other young man interrupted.

"S...ch'...roh," he managed to breath. It was difficult, but it was enough to capture his partner's attention.

"Eiji!"

He wanted to reach up and smooth away the worry he could see wrinkling Syuichiroh's face; he wanted to tease him about getting premature grey hairs and wrinkles...But most of all, he wanted to *feel* the other boy, touching his arm, his hand... and he couldn't.

"A--are you thirsty? Here, have some water," the other managed, but he could see Syuichiroh's hands shaking on the water container and cup before he held a straw to his lips.

He took a sip, dutifully and gratefully, but want he really wanted was--

"Touch me...?"

There was another flash of pained panic in the green eyes he loved so much, and a rustle of cloth as Syuichiroh moved, and with a rush of reciprocated panic, he realized Syuichiroh *had* been touching him, holding his hand most likely, and he hadn't felt it...

He closed his eyes when Syuichiroh's fingers brushed his cheek, wallowing in the sensation, because that he *could* feel... And then Syuichiroh was cupping his face with both hands, and he could feel the other's warm breath washing over his face before dry lips pressed to his forehead and cheeks, over his eyes, kissing away a tear he couldn't quite prevent, before pressing to his lips.

"It'll be okay, Eiji," Syuichiroh was murmuring. "You'll see... it'll be okay... just... gods, Eiji, don't leave...please..."

"I--"

Whatever he was going to say seemed to lodge in his throat, so in the end he asked, "Did we win, at least?"

~~~****~~~