Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Card Counters ❯ Deadly Match and Corrupted Speed ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey! I'm back and ready to rumble… ok I'm far from it. But I have been persevering and trying really hard to meet the deadlines I had just set my self a few seconds ago. Damn, I got this really bad cold and I'm not feeling my best but I'm trying. Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.
 
 
Disclaimer: not owning no Bleach, FMA or ugh *sniff* Naruto and umm…PoT…
 
 
Like Tezuka says: “Don't let your guard down”
 
 
Fuck…mucus dripping everywhere, blah gross…
 
 
XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoOoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx
 
 
Chapter 2: The Deadly Match
 
 
The courts were bare and deserted for there were no lunch practices that day. Ryoma took out his favourite red racquet and start to stretch. Hitsugaya did the same stretches and then unzipped his bag to pull out a… broken racquet?
 
 
“What is that?” asked Tomoka.
 
 
Sherry answered. “It's a collapsible tennis racquet. You probably never had seen one or even heard of one”
 
 
“Nope, my two years of tennis experience doesn't recall it” said Horio.
 
 
“Of course not. It's an unknown brand called Zanpakutou. It's designed by Toushirou's dad's good friend!”
 
 
“ Once it unfolds, the magnets inside locks it into place and when you twist it the right, it will click and it practically becomes whole and used just like a normal tennis racquet. And there's light titanium coating.” Said Sakura.
 
 
“It's really handy and he just fits it in his messenger bag”
 
 
“Oh, my! How much does it cost!” Gasped Sakuno.
 
 
“Well it hasn't been on the market yet but maybe in a few years. We got as a last year's Christmas gift.” Ed grinned.
 
 
“EH!? YOU ALL HAVE ONE!?” the first years face- faulted.
 
 
“Maybe about $600 worth actually” Sherry gave the peace sign.
 
 
They all fainted just like that.
 
 
The driven teens proceeded to the court D. They each took their place, determination to win evident in their eyes. There can only be one victor and one loser.
 
 
“I'll be umpire” said Sakura. She made her way to the high chair and nimbly climbed up and sat on top. “Echizen serves first, since he challenged first”.
 
 
Ryoma bounced the ball with his right hand. He was going to give him hell before he put the jerk away. He just glanced at Hitsugaya to see his expression. It was stone like Tezuka, but more… arctic. He them pointed his racquet at him, his cocky smirk plastered on his face.
 
 
“You should quit now. Save yourself the humiliation” he said.
 
 
“You just took those words right out of my mouth” Hitsugaya replied
 
 
“You asked for it”
 
 
Ryoma threw the ball into the air and served with his left hand. It rocketed towards Hitsugaya who was rooted to the spot. His intense jade eyes concentrated on the ball. Analysing, analysing…
 
 
`What's this? The spin's a little different from normal serves. Counter clockwise eh? If that continues and rebounds, it should go…'
 
 
Hitsugaya swiftly shifted his left foot and brought his ice blue racquet to his face, successfully swiping a lob…and successfully returning the Twist serve on the first try. Ryoma frowned. This dude never played him before let alone heard of him had just returned his serve on the first try. This was no ordinary player.
 
 
`Lets see what else he can do'
 
 
He charged at the net and hit a smash (A/N: Who can't resist hitting a smash on a lob?) Hitsugaya anticipating this, had already changed into a horse- riding stance. He waited for the ball to be at the right distance, correct height and correct second. Toushirou forehanded it perfectly horizontally straight at Ryoma. Since the power of the ball's power was directed at the ground in front of him, the racquet didn't take the whole directed weight, so as the ball descended, he didn't place the racquet underneath awaiting the impact. Because he hit it sideways, the spin changed and zipped diagonally in the top corner. First contact of the ball in the ground, Ryoma's side. He made an angry sound. Hitsugaya on the other hand grinned back at Ryoma.
 
 
“15 love!” announce Sakura.
 
 
“OMG!” Tomoka fainted again.
 
 
Edward walked towards his sister. “Hey lets make this more interesting” he said.
 
 
“Alright, two bits on Toushirou. Sounds okay?”
 
 
“Then dealers places it two bits on Echizen” Ed said.
 
 
Sherry turned to look at her brother in the eye, amusement twinkling in her eyes.
 
 
“My, you dare go against your best friend?” she cooed.
 
 
“Just his once, man get off my back! Hey Sakura! You?”
 
 
“Deal me in!” came the reply.
 
 
“Ne, what are you all talking about” asked Tomoka.
 
 
“Oh, we're betting on the tennis match” said Sherry.
 
 
The 1st years excluding the girls looked disapprovingly. Betting is not something encouraged in the school though. They remembered the story concerning the cruise with that devil Sakurafubuki, only to be forced to play a fixed game with hostages as a reminder.
 
 
“I want to join since I know Ryoma sama is going to win!” Tomoka pumped her hand high in the air. When it comes to her Ryoma sama there is no doubt that he would win perfectly and efficiently. He was the Prince of Tennis after all and none beats the Prince (A/N: Except King Nanjirou and maybe Cardinal Tezuka *sigh* play on words)
 
 
Edward stared at her weirdly before concluding that she didn't know in the Seven Hells what to do anyway.
 
 
“Do you understand the rules of poker anyway Osakada san?” asked Edward.
 
 
“Um, you bet?” she said enthusiastically.
 
 
Sherry sighed, “Look, even if you bet now, the price is, well… Extreme” She received a blank stare.
 
 
“The bet is two bits which is equal to 20000 yen ($200).
 
 
“NANI?!” the first years threw there heads forward in utter horror at the large sum of money spoken. Sakuno promptly looked at the Elrics as if they were first class criminals.
 
 
“That's too much money! Do you even have enough?” yelled Horio.
 
 
“Duh, that why we are betting in the first place” said Edward. “Now shut up and watch the game”
 
 
x
 
 
“40- love!” announced Sakura
 
 
`Damn, this guy is aggravating' thought Ryoma. `So far he was able to see where my ball is going to go. Is it stupid data tennis again? No. It's by analysing the spin. It's as if his eyes were just scanning' Ryoma continued to split step back and forth every few seconds to rally the ball back. So far he hasn't seen anything else much special out of the Hitsugaya boy.
 
 
“C'mon Hitsugaya is that all you got?” Ryoma provoked him.
 
 
`Trying the provoking technique eh? Let's just give him what he want's'
 
 
“Yeah? Suck on this, Souten ni saze HYOURINMARU!”
 
 
The ball sped towards Ryoma at a frightening speed. It curved in a blind motion towards the awaiting racquet before…
 
 
`Why is it so cold? My arms feel sluggish and weird'
 
 
The ball bounce passed Ryoma just like that. Further more it was in his range. He could've easily returned it! Those eyes, they were penetrating and creepy as hell. The ball was a strange matter in itself. What kind of freaking tennis ball produce it's own air? And cold one at that, really cold. It nipped at his skin harshly as the ball passed him in speed. His arms wouldn't respond properly but not like that spot paralysis thing.
 
 
“5 games to 4!”
 
 
Hitsugaya bounced his ball. This dude wasn't half bad. He had heard of this Echizen before. The Seigaku rookie, feared by all tennis schools on the court. Well, looks like this would be another one to add to the tally. Only this one is talented indeed. He was hard to overcome. One of the more difficult players. This should would be quiet satisfying. It wasn't everyday you become uncertain about your victory.
 
 
“What is going on here?”
 
 
Toushirou was about to serve the ball when he was suddenly jerked by the voice of a commanding woman. He stood straight and glared at who dared to interrupt is tennis game. `Oh it's only that old Granny' He has seen her walking around before. He looked over at Ryoma who was looking just as annoyed.
 
 
“The tennis courts are closed lunch time EVERY Tuesday remember? You don't go waltzing here anytime you feel like it” Ryuuzaki sensei was clearly angry at the group of first years.
 
 
“Who are you people? You don't look like you're from this school. More spies?” she looked at them suspiciously.
 
“We aren't spies sensei, except the uniforms haven't arrived yet” said Edward.
 
 
Sakuno nodded to her grandma in confirmation.
 
 
“Ok then. Go and pack up the balls and pack them away before you return to your classes. Lunch is almost over”
 
 
“H- Hai Ryuuzaki sensei!” said the triplets in unison. (A/N: the three first years)
 
 
“Ous” said Ryoma.
 
 
“This totally sucked” muttered Hitsugaya.
 
 
“By the way, you should consider joining the Tennis Club, the boy who versed Ryoma.” She called back as she walked away.
 
 
He tugged his hair.
 
 
“Sorry!” called Sakura. She hopped from the high chair daintily and walked back over to Edward and Sherry, who were clearly disappointed in not being able to with their pot. Edward went over to Ryoma.
 
 
“What do you want?” He asked.
 
 
“Nothing. Just that you're really amazing at tennis. I'd like to verse you someday. Only not in competitions”
 
 
Ryoma frowned in confusion “Why not?”
 
 
“Hi-mi-tsu” Ed tapped his lips with his left hand. His eyes flashed a sudden deadly knowledge, which didn't go unnoticed by the tennis prodigy. He shall find this out later. They all packed up and went to attend their next class, which was science. They were learning about the Human Anatomy (A/N: hint, hint). Ryoma caught up with the ice boy and fell into step beside him.
 
 
“We will continue this later”
 
 
“Whatever”
 
 
Sakura entered the scene and walked on Hitsugaya's other side. “Ne, Nissan is a good opponent right? You were really talented Echizen kun it was really fun to watch. It's not everyday Toushirou enjoys himself in a match, enough to be agro” she chuckled.
 
 
“I wasn't agro”
 
 
“You are family?” Sakuno gasped. They totally didn't look anything alike. Not one bit. Their hair colour and personality said it all. Not to mention their last names too.
 
 
“Hai, he's my adopted brother though”
 
 
“Ahem, it's adopted sister. I did sign the paperwork” said Hitsugaya.
 
 
“That's the same thing anyway”
 
 
“No, totally different, Sakura” Edward joined the conversation.
 
 
`They were siblings all along?' Ryoma glanced at her briefly before he was tugged away by Tomo
 
 
“RYOMA SAMA! You will win next time won't you? I mean you can't lose! You are the best in the WORLD!”
 
 
“Tomo- chan…” Sakuno stuttered.
 
 
“I knew you couldn't be blood related since you look at act totally different” said Kachiro. He smiled at Katsuo admiring his own cleverness.
 
 
“Of course they couldn't be! Don't be stupid” said Horio “and also Edward san and Sherry san really aren't related” he crossed his arms and smirked.
 
 
Sakura and Hitsugaya exchanged looks before labelling Horio as a certified moron. “Umm, actually we are” Edward came up with Sherry by his side.
 
 
“We were long lost actually. We have another brother named Alphonse but he is back in Germany in hospital” the female Elric lost her lighthearted tone when she mentioned her dear brother. Edward brushed his hair out of his face and sighed.
 
 
“What for?” asked Sakuno.
 
 
“Malnutrition” said Edward bluntly (1). Silence enveloped the place. The first years didn't know what to say for a while to break the monotony.
 
 
“Hurry up slow shits! I don't wanna miss my first science lesson!” Edward yelled frantically. He blonde sped off to the designated room, leaving everyone to eat his dust.
 
 
“Goody the human body…!” Sherry giggled hysterically and skipped off behind Edward.
 
 
“C'mon guys!” Sakura grabbed both Hitsugaya's and Ryoma's hand and ran with them in tow to catch up with Sherry chan. Hitsugaya looked pretty livid at being pulled around roughly, but his imouto didn't care. Ryoma was surprised with the sudden contact of the girl and that he nearly stumbled. She wasn't holding his wrist but his hand, his left hand.
 
 
xxx
 
 
They slowed to a stop and entered the classroom in a hurry before sitting in any random seat; not caring is someone would complain it was theirs. Sakura took a seat next to Ryoma since it was closest to the window. Edward sat way up front since it was closest to the board. Hitsugaya and Sherry sat next to each other near the back.
 
 
Ryoma looked up as he felt the presence of another. It was that girl Haruno Sakura. Up close she really did look pretty. She placed her shoulder bag next to her and gathered her stationary on the table. Ryoma observed her quietly, noting her taste in things and the way she positioned them. Obsessed much? No not really.
 
 
“I haven't properly introduced myself. My name is Haruno Sakura, Toushirou's adopted sister” she smiled at him, the smile that would make the Goliath melt to putty. Think about what that did to him.
 
 
“Echizen Ryoma”
 
 
“So how long have you been playing tennis?” she asked.
 
 
“Almost my life”
 
 
“That's good. I've been playing at a very young age too. Hey, do you know how to play cards?” she asked, with curiosity lacing her voice.
 
 
He thought about it. How long ago did he play cards? Heck, when did he actually hold a deck!?
 
 
“Not really”. Well it was only cards. A kids game.
 
 
“How about we teach you?” Sakura said.
 
 
“We?”
 
 
“Sherry chan also”
 
 
“Nah” he turned away towards the window, boredom evident in his eyes. Sakura just sighed and leaned back. Many people that weren't in that maths class earlier did not know about the strange uniform. Sure they got lots of odd stares in canteen too, but everyone was too hungry to noticed. Now the newcomers received looks of confusion, disapproval and distaste from the science class. There were much murmuring and gossip now going through the class. But they didn't care.
 
 
The teacher walked in at the moment, like about 10minutes later. And set his folder on the next.
 
 
“Good morning class, first we are going to start on the introductory of the Human Anatomy. Oh yes you are the students with the Uniform pass correct?”
 
 
He addressed to Edward, Sakura, Toushirou and Sherry.
 
 
“Yep” said Edward.
 
 
“Ok then, no matter, lets get started”
 
 
Sherry giggled with excitement whereas Edward looked like his head couldn't lean any further and his fingers wouldn't shake in anticipation anymore without popping. This class was boring for the Echizen. There was no such thing as fun for this subject and he can't get how the Elrics would love this bland subject. So he proceeded with his only defence.
 
 
Sleep.
 
 
(1 Hour later)
 
 
`Ughn' something was poking him. `Karupin? No there was meowing sound' what the hell? `Oyaji? Nope no cigarette-smell. Who was poking him? They were going to get it. Ryoma cracked open one golden eye and turned around to glare at the person assaulting him. Sakura held her paser and was about to stab his shoulder again when she caught his glare. They were cold and annoyed…like Toushirou.
 
 
“What?” he growled
 
 
“Heh, heh… umm, you didn't copy the notes into your work book” She pointed at the blackboard which was at the moment being wiped clean of it's information by the teacher. He groaned. Not again.
 
 
“How much did I miss?”
 
 
“About two boards worth ” (A/N: the board was written with lots of info twice)
 
 
She giggled at his frustrated attitude but suddenly covered her mouth at the rudeness. She sheepishly went back to her presentable self, blushing a bit. Ryoma stared her oddly. That laugh was pretty much suited her. Her personality and cuteness… Cuteness? Bleah, since when did he think anything was cute. He shook his head to get rid of the crazy thought before he would deal with the situation. What was happening to him these days?
 
 
“Here, you can copy my notes since we are going to have a pop quiz next week. To see if we really payed attention in class, which you would fail” she smiled warmly at him.
 
 
“Domo” (Thanks)
 
 
She passed him her book and he nervously took it. It smelled just like her. Cherries and strawberries actually. WTF? Since when did he go smelling people? Who the hell smells people anyway? God it was almost like she was everywhere now. He even thought about her when he drifted to Never land. This was totally messed up.
 
 
“Good work class! We finished today's lesson 10 minutes early. So you can have some free time, but don't be so noisy” said the sensei.
 
 
“Man, that was short…and disappointing” yawned Edward.
 
 
“Man that was long” groaned Horio.
 
 
“Science freak” mumbled Hitsugaya. He leaned back in his chair and took out a deck of cards and began shuffling with one hand (A/N: It's actually possible. So Hitsugaya's one of the lucky ones =.=)
 
 
“What's wrong with that rich boy?” Snapped Sherry. She gets offended easily if you dissed what she liked. Edward twitched in annoyance at his best friends comment as he got up and stretched and went over to their desk.
 
 
“That science lesson was so freaken easy! What am I doing here? I should be in a High school class, third year at least!” Ed complained.
 
 
“Are you kidding, that lesson was rather difficult” said Katsuo.
 
 
“Difficult? What grade are you in..?” Ed snorted.
 
 
“Edward! Don't be rude” snapped Sherry.
 
 
“Shut up photo zombie!”
 
 
“Girly man!”
 
 
“$%^@ chick!”
 
 
“#$%^*&( SHRIMP”
 
 
“%^&*())^#@ and a %^*(*)^$!!!!”
 
 
“Yeah? Guess what? $^%^&((*^!!!”
 
 
(A/N: All that swearing was said in German XD)
 
 
“Enough you guys, just vent your anger in a game of spiked speed or something” Hitsugaya sighed and flicked the cards at the obscene bickering pair. Many of the classmates were horrified at the strings of unknown profanities hurled at the siblings. The triplets also looked highly uncomfortable. They could tell those weren't jolly nice words.
 
 
Sakura banged her head on the desk in shame at the squabbling siblings. Ryoma looked up from his writing so see what was going on. He poked her head like she did with him to wake her up.
 
 
“What's up with those two?” he asked.
 
 
“Oh, they usually bicker a lot, mostly in German. The way to calm them down is any sort of card game with a gambling system. They are really good friends though really caring, but a little reckless, especially Edward. Sherry loves to take photos of things and then digitalising it on Photoshop and tennis definitely”
 
 
“Is that why she always has her camera phone out?” he didn't like cameras so he better watch out.
 
Sakura smiled, “Exactly. And Edward is really interested in medical science. He wants to help his brother Alphonse, the one with malnutrition and he enjoys tennis also. They were so close to each other. The three were always there for one another and nothing could ever separate them. Are you done yet?”
 
 
“Oh, yeah” He returned the book and then twirled his pen in his hand in sheer boredom. From the corner of his eyes, he could see the horror called Tomoka advancing towards him `Man…'
 
“Ryoma sama! Do you wanna try out my cookies that I made on the weekends?” screeched Tomoka. He held out a tin of assorted biscuits, all with tennis balls and little chibi Ryoma faces iced in the centre. Sakura was a little disturbed.
 
 
“Can I try some too?” the cherry blossom asked nicely enough. Just to annoy her.
 
 
“No! I baked them for Ryoma sama personally and it's not just anyone can eat them” she said haughtily. This was the type of girl Sakura got into fights with and always won. There will no problem in putting this one back in her place. Sakura frowned with dislike. Guess faking wasn't good enough.
 
 
“There are a lot of cookies in that tin though. It would be nice to share it”
 
 
“Only for VIPs like Ryoma!”
 
 
Ryoma sighed and took some cookies to Tomoka's uncontrolled delight. He stared at his chibi face staring back at him stupidly before he held it out to Sakura much to Tomoka's insane outrage. Sakuno dragged her back to the other side of the room before there was bloodshed.
 
 
Sakura looked from the cookie then to Ryoma. Then back to the cookie. And then Ryoma. His was facing the other way to avoid eye contact. She cautiously took the biscuit from his hand and munched it quietly.
 
 
“Arigatou” (Thankyou)
 
 
“Betsuni”(It was nothing)
 
 
Hitsugaya observed the scene before him carefully. He frowned when Sakura got too close to that Echizen. The pink haired girl was now chatting animatedly to the uninterested boy. He shuffled his second deck under the table immaculately. The scowl on his face deepened as he remembered the same encounter 2 years ago.
 
 
`Uchiha'
 
 
“What are you guys doing now” butted in Horio. Hitsugaya's train of thought was disrupted by that grating voice. He slipped the deck back into his pocket.
 
 
“They are playing spiked speed”
 
 
“What is that?” asked Kachiro. They flinched as the Elrics slammed cards after another onto the table at lightning speed and with deafening smacks. They could've sworn it left a dent!
 
 
“It's like a game of normal speed except it is more intense and it includes a gambling system” continued Sherry.
 
 
Hitsugaya got up and went to Edward's side as he flicked over the card on the left.
 
 
“That sounds interesting”.
 
 
“Yeah, the loser with the remaining card has to pay the winner according to the number of cards left- AAAAAH!” she slipped a nine of diamonds just under Ed's seven just in time. He cussed and went to throw straights at the queen of hearts.
 
 
“-over”
 
 
The triplets looked astonished at the energy put into the speed of the game. This looked almost like a sport to these people and how right they were. Tomoka and Sakuno finally went over to check out all the deafening noise. They stood watching and listening to the explaining of the corrupted game.
 
 
“Each remaining card is worth 500 yen ($5)” said Edward. He replenished his cards.
 
 
“OMG! That's a lot!” gasped Horio.
 
 
“Not to us” Said Sakura who just came over with Ryoma. He watched boredly at the intense game being played. They got the same hyped up attitude like the regulars in tennis. Speaking of tennis, he still has that unfinished match with Hitsugaya. He will definitely win.
 
 
“Hah! I win, so pony up the cash” Edward smirked in triumph. He stuck his gloved hands behind his head like a certain diva, who shall be nameless.
 
 
The loser grumbled as she was forced to hand over to her brother 2000 yen. He tucked it away in his pocket happily.
 
“Ne, how do you think Tezuka is doing in Germany?” asked Ed in German.
 
 
“Fine, as long as Uncle Mustang doesn't shove porn in his face” answered Sherry.
 
 
XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoOoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx
 
 
 
(1) Remember in the manga, yes the real story, we saw Al's soul at the Gate all anorexia and stuff and he wouldn't leave with Ed? That's when Ed, Envy and Ling wanted went to escape Gluttony's stomach. Well, I'm basing on that)
 
That was the longest chapter I have written. Like 15 pages of this stuff. I haven't updated on this story because I didn't think it would be popular enough. But one reviewer is keen on this story so this is for her! XD
 
 
Next Hinamori and Winry makes there appearance in the third year class!
 
 
::Read & REVIEW::
 
Until next time! JA NE
 
 
TripWire- dono