Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Encounters of Another Kind - Part 2 ❯ A New Love Interest Arrives ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Encounters of Another Kind Part 2

An An and Hiyoshi Story

By Andrea Readwolf <andrea_readwolf @hotmail.com>

Chapter: 1

Rating: PG-13

Pairings: Tachibana An and Wakashi Hiyoshi

Genre: AU, Humor, Romance, Seduction

Warnings: Underage characters situations of self-discovery. Characters are written in character according to author's interpretation.

Spoilers: none to my knowledge

Summary: A new love interest enters An's life in the most normal of settings.

Disclaimer: Tennis no Ohjisama, characters and settings are the property of Konomi Takeshi.

Date Started: August 4, 2004

Status:

Revised: August 11, 2004

Word Count: 485

~A New Love Interest Arrives~

An couldn't believe it.

Rice. Rice! Out of all the things--rice! This was Japan, for crying out loud! Rice was, like, one of the main staple foods! How do you just run out of rice and forget to buy more?

She spent a moment cruising around the rice counter before spotting the brand and type her mother normally kept in the house, continuing her mental tirade.

And of course they couldn't make a single meal's worth bag. Oh, no! they had to sell the economical family-sized bag.

She grunted, hefting the twenty kilogram bag into her arms like a very large baby and--

Collided rather violently with another customer on her way to the counter.

"Excuse me--"

"Hey! Watch it!"

Both parties looked at one another, waiting for recognition to strike and place a name to the familiar face before them.

"Hyotei," An greeted first, finally giving up on remembering the boy's name.

"Fudomine," the other teen replied gruffly, barely inclining his head.

And then they just stared at one another, not really hostilely, just... antagonistically. Finally, An looked down at the boy's hand basket.

"High Chews? Those things will rot your teeth," she told him, frowning at the chewing substance.

The boy snorted. "I brush regularly. Do you really need that much rice?"

An blinked, looking at the sack she was still miraculously holding. "If I don't want to have to pick up more before tomorrow afternoon, I do," she quipped, doing a quick head count in her head.

"What's wrong?" a new voice asked, coming up beside An like a faithful shadow.

"Hm?" An started and then relaxed, turning away from the Hyotei student to smile at Shinji. "Nothing's wrong. Why would you think anything's wrong? I'm heading to the check out now--"

"Ah," Shinji murmured, following her to the check out. "Is that the rice? Will that be enough for everyone?"

"Yeah, c'mon. Let's go before my brother has a fit," she coaxed, teasingly sashaying where she stood in line.

"I can carry the rice bag," Shinji offered, reaching out to take the sack from An.

"It's all right, I got it. I'm not weak you know."

Shinji frowned. "I didn't mean to imply that you were weak or incapable of carrying it. I just thought it might be heavy and maybe you would like me to carry it for you, but I don't have to. I don't mind not carrying the rice. It's not like it's really my rice, anyway--"

"Shinji!" An nearly shouted as she shoved the rice sack into the startled boy's arms. "Thank you."

"Ah," the dark-haired boy replied, smiling softly at the departing girl's back.

If either An or Shinji had bothered to look back, they might have seen the slightly flustered and bemused Hyotei student still standing near the rice counter, staring after them.

~to be continued...