Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Joker's Wild ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Jokers Wild"

A Prince of Tennis "Mother's Day" Fanfic

By Andrea Readwolf <andrea_readwolf @hotmail.com>

Rating: PG-13

Pairings: Tezuka + Fuji, Mizuki + Fuji, Oishi + Kikumaru, Echizen + Momoshiro

Genre: shounen-ai, slightly angst, reflective, humor

Date Started: May 9, 2004

Status: Rough Draft Complete

Modified Last:

Disclaimer: Tennis no Ohjisama, characters and settings are the property of Konomi Takeshi.

Warnings: Emotional angst in the form of parental situations.

Summary: During a Mother's Day picnic, Syusuke finds his thoughts wandering to a past he can't change and a future he can't help. Can a sister's friendly ear and meddling help?

A Post-High School Time Line Story

"Jokers Wild" by Andrea Readwolf

The excited shouts and bouts of laughter from the children in the clearing filled the air was rivaled only by the boastful laughter and the smack of a tennis ball volleying back and forth from the direction of the tennis court. Behind him, in the house, mostly women were chattering away, happily, busily working at setting out a meal even today when it should be the other way around; a day when the women inside should be outside, relaxing and having fun.

Fuji Syusuke had offered his assistance, but knew when to retreat---he had been forcibly shoved out of the kitchen by none other than Kikumaru's mother, telling him to turn right back around and go out and play with the other children. The fact that it could be argued that at twenty-years-old Syusuke really wasn't much of a child anymore didn't dissuade her or the other women who just laughed at him. So, he had wisely retreated.

Now he stood at the back of the house and just watched... his friends.... his family.

Eiji was on the home tennis court with Ryoma's father; Ryoma himself was refereeing the game in between calling out comments to his father--"You're getting old." "Even I could make that shot." "You're making me embarrassed." There were a few others watching the game, but Syusuke didn't know them very well, other than to recognize one of the older looking males as Eiji's older brother, and another as a brother-in-law. It was quite possible that the third young man was a boyfriend, either of Oishi's sister (who was allowed inside the kitchen) or one of Eiji's sisters (who were also inside the kitchen).

Invariably, Syusuke found himself searching out his own partner.

Momoshiro had had the wonderful idea of setting up something akin to an amusement area for the children--and there were plenty of children present today. Ryoma's cousin's two little ones; Eiji's brother's little one; Momo's nephew, and a couple more that Syusuke didn't know who they belonged to. Maybe neighbors?

In any case, there were a series of games and activities set up on the other side of the yard, away from the tennis courts. Where Momo had found those kiddy wade pools... and the tiny goldfish that were swimming around, and the golf balls, and the... It looked like a mini-festival, Syusuke thought fondly. How like Momoshiro to not only think of it, but then construct the activity center, too. Just another proof that the young man would make a fine elementary school teacher when he graduated college.

It wasn't really surprising to find Syuichiroh hovering in that area of the yard, either. The young man was a natural worrier and caregiver. Besides his friends and a few other people he again didn't recognize, though he thought he should, was the one person who stood out like a beacon to him.

Syusuke couldn't help but smile as he watched Kunimitsu help one little girl scoop a fish into a cup. She laughed and clapped with delight, smiling brightly up at him as he let the fish swim free and offered her the scoop and cup. He showed her again how to catch the fish, wrapping his larger arms around her smaller frame and covering her hands with his, going through the motions and capturing another fish.

Watching his lover, Syusuke sighed a bit wistfully.

A presence came up from behind, settling itself in a neat, relaxed, slouch at the edge of the landing, feet swinging absently over the side. "What's on your mind, little bro?"

Syusuke smiled down at his older, only sister. "I didn't realize you'd arrived, Yumiko. Happy Mother's Day."

"Ah, just got in a little bit ago; noticed you out here looking all lonesome," the young woman smiled back at him. "Now spill it. What's bothering you?"

"Mmmm." But his smile was pinched---Tezuka and Yumiko were the only two people who could read past his smiles without trying. "It's nothing really."

They stared out at the warm, home-feely scene before them. The children laughing and playing. The men laughing and teasing. Eiji complaining because he'd lost.... Kunimitsu...

"I love him," he finally said something after a good five minutes had passed. Yumiko just nodded, continuing to smile at the scene before them. Waiting. "I would do just about anything for him, I think..." He sighed. "It hurts," he admitted quietly. "I never knew it could hurt to love someone so much."

Yumiko tilted her head back to look up at him, still smiling. "There's all kinds of hurts in the world, Syusuke. Too many kinds. Love shouldn't be one of them." She fell back onto her elbows--most likely so she could look at him easier. "If there's pain, it a sign that something's wrong. That's why pain and hurt exist, you know, to let us know something's wrong. So why don't you tell me what's wrong, Syusuke? Why are you hurting?"

He was shaking, he realized belatedly. Carefully, he took a deep breath and pushed the lump in his throat away. Instead of looking at his sister, he searched out the source of his strength, his love...

"Tezuka's really good with kids, don't you agree?" Yumiko asked idly, noticing where her brother was looking.

"Mmm."

"But then, wasn't he a natural leader?" she continued absently. "Almost like a father-figure to all of you boys when you were in school."

"Would that make Syuichiroh the mother?" he teased back.

Yumiko shrugged a shoulder--nothing against the other boy, but Oishi really wasn't that much a part of *her* family, even if he was one of her brother's closer friends.

"He's an only child," Syusuke spoke up again after another lull in conversation. "You wouldn't think he'd be so good with children, not having been raised with any brothers or sisters."

"It must be sad," Yumiko agreed. "Little siblings are so much fun to tease, after all."

Syusuke sighed. "He should have had the chance to be a father. To have a child of his own..."

"That might be a little hard, bro, unless you're planning on having a sex-change operation, because I don't see Kunimitsu willing to trade you in for an opposite-sex model anytime this lifetime," she teased, looking up at her brother worriedly.

He laughed lightly at the notion. "No, I don't either..."

"No," she agreed, not looking away even though he refused to look back at her. "What about you, Syusuke," she asked softly. "Won't you want some kids of your own?"

"Mmn. I'm happy with only 'Mitsu," he replied, sparing his sister a small, sad, but contented smile.

"You're the first son, you know," she reminded him softly, almost hesitant to bring up such a sore subject. "Technically it's your responsibility to produce the next son."

"There's always Yuuta... and you," Syusuke smiled.

"Yeah," Yumiko laughed. "And considering our wonderful little brother is in the same boat as you, you're both just shoving it on me, huh? Ah! But it's so cute how similar you two are, you know?"

"Mmm." His sister always knew how to make him happy, Syusuke thought, smiling and silently pleased with the comparison to his younger, beloved brother.

"How are Kunimitsu's parents doing?" she asked casually. "They're not making any more small comments about his own responsibility as only son, are they?"

"Not so much, anymore," Syusuke sighed. "They're mostly worried about how it might affect his career more than anything, now."

"Ah, I can understand that." They were quiet again. The silence stretching comfortably between them as they continued to watch the men and children playing.

"I... I never asked," Yumiko finally spoke up. "Did they... did they handle it better...?"

It hurt. That thought hurt; it hurt worse than the thought that Kunimitsu couldn't have his heir because of Syusuke... it hurt worse than... than when it had happened that night....

{{{FLASHBACK}}}

His mother was sobbing in the corner of the room, where his father had pushed her. Syusuke held his ground, however much he wanted to go to his mother and check to make sure she wasn't hurt.

He couldn't even remember all the words that poured out of his father's mouth. A steady stream of profanity and curses and damnations spilling out of a wide mouth set in an increasingly red bubbling face.

"I'LL HAVE NO UNNATURAL CHILD!!! DO YOU HEAR ME? YOU'RE NO CHILD OF MINE!!!"

The screaming must surely have caught Yumiko's and Yuuta's attention, for suddenly they were in the room, too, staring at their father in horror.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! YOU'RE NOT WELCOME IN MY HOUSE, DO YOU HEAR ME? GET OUT!"

"I can hear you quite fine," Syusuke had returned, smiling pleasantly. "Or haven't you noticed that you're shouting?"

"Does....Does this mean I should go, too?" Yuuta had asked, white faced and staring wide-eyed at their father. "If... if..." he'd swallowed, looking from his father to his brother and back again. "If liking other guys is a crime to be punished for, I mean..."

"Oh, hell," Yumiko spoke up. "If liking boys is a crime, I'm out of here, too."

She'd grabbed her purse, her car keys, and her youngest brother; Syusuke was already waiting in the car. She didn't ask where they should go; Syusuke didn't say anything; and Yuuta seemed to be in shock in the back seat. Syusuke didn't even remember the drive from his parents' house to the apartment he shared with Tezuka.

Tezuka had looked at all three of them---Yuuta, white faced and shaking; Syusuke with his fake smile firmly in place; and Yumiko who looked bored already.

"Went that badly?" he asked mildly.

"He disowned the lot of us," she announced calmly. "Mind if the baby and I crash with you guys tonight?"

Tezuka just held the door open for them. "I'll go find some extra blankets."

{{{END FLASHBACK}}}

Syusuke swallowed again, nodding. "Yes, Kunimitsu's parents handled it a lot better," he murmured.

Yumiko nodded sadly before asking, "What about the others? I mean, I take it everyone's been told by now, no?"

Syusuke smiled and laughed again. "Yes, actually, 'Mitsu and I were the last ones to tell our parents; strange, really, when you think that we've been together the longest..."

"And had the most to lose," she reminded her brother softly. "Both of you were in the limelight so often during junior high and high school, Syusuke. It really wasn't safe...."

"No," he agreed sadly. "But Ryoma didn't let that stop him."

"High and low cards, bro. Two different games. The dynamics are different between Momo and Ryoma and you and Kunimitsu." Yumiko took a moment to study her nails, glancing at the tennis court as she did so. "So his dad knows then?"

"Mmm." Syusuke didn't try to dim the fond smile that came to mind as he remembered that morning afterwards, back in his Junior year of high school, when Momo had told them all what had happened. "According to Momoshiro, Ryoma just flat out told his dad the same day they started dating...."

{{{FLASHBACK}}}

Momoshiro had been to the Echizen residence a few times, but it wasn't a very popular hanging spot for them. Mostly because Ryoma wasn't overly fond of his dad, Momo knew. Still, today of all days, Ryoma had insisted they go back to his house after their respective practices had left out and they'd met up.

Not surprisingly, Ryoma's dad was laying about, drooling at one of his magazines---quite interesting reading material, Momo had thought when he'd first realized what it was the older man was 'reading' so enthusiastically.

"I'm home," Ryoma called.

"Welcome back," came the disinterested reply.

"Oh, Dad, you remember Momoshiro Takeshi? He used to be in Seigaku with me last year? We're dating."

"That's nice."

"Yeah, anyway, we'll be up in my room, making out, if you need us. Oh, and he's staying for dinner."

"Mmmhmm... that's nice...."

Momoshiro was in a state of embarrassed and stunned silence as his younger boyfriend dragged him upstairs to his bedroom to do just what he'd told his father: make out.

{{{END FLASHBACK}}} [1]

Yumiko nodded, smiling too. "That sounds like something he would do. Ryoma's the type of person who seems to go around looking for things to do that people tell him he can't do... "

"Aaa, I guess that's rather an accurate description of him," Syusuke agreed. Someone looking to break the stereotype....yes, that rather did sound like Ryoma.

"And Eiji's family? I'm sure they took the news well," Yumiko added. She'd always had a soft spot for the kittenish boy who had so easily befriended her brother in junior high school.

Syusuke laughed again. "Eiji told me that Syuichiroh was so nervous when they finally decided to tell them...."

{{{FLASHBACK}}}

Oishi shifted in his seat for the fifth time that minute. "This--this is a delicious meal, Mrs. Kikumaru."

"Oh, thank you, Syuichiroh," the friendly older woman chirped happily. "I'm glad you like it. You should really come over more often; you know you're always welcome over here anytime."

"Ah, yes, ma'am. Thank you; that's very kind of you to offer..."

"Oh, not at all!" Eiji's mother cut off. "We like having you here, right?"

"Yes!" came the enthusiastic but obedient reply from everyone at the table--Eiji, his two present sisters, and their father. Oishi flushed.

"Oh, hey, Mom? Dad? Speaking of S'chiroh and me, we wanted to tell you all that we're like, dating," Eiji announced blatantly.

Oishi dropped his fork and stared at his boyfriend in horrified shock.

"It's 'Syuichiroh and I', dear, not 'Syuichiroh and me'," his mother corrected automatically. "And I'm glad you told us. Syuichiroh, dear, here, let me get you a new fork..."

Eiji's father was frowning, however. "What do you mean *like*?" he asked gruffly. "You're either dating or you're not. Which is it?"

Eiji grinned cheekily back at his father, scratching his nose. "We're dating."

The elder Kikumaru nodded, "Then just say so. None of this 'like' business," he added before going back to his dinner.

"See! I told you!" Sister #1 hissed excitedly.

"Hey, brother! How long've you and Syuchi' been dating?" Sister #2 piped up.

"Nya..." Eiji looked so adorably cute as he tried to work out the math in his head.

"Three years," Oishi finally helped out, shaking his head at his boyfriend's absentmindedness.

"See! I told you they'd started dating in junior high, so pay up!" Sister #1 smirked.

"Wait--wait!" Sister #2 slapped her sister's hand away. "Hey, Eiji, you two screwing yet?"

Mrs. Kikumaru cleared her throat and Sister #2 winced apologetically.

"Sorry, Mama; okay, I'll rephrase: Are you two participating in sexual activities?"

Eiji grinned at his older sister and winked. "Se-cer-et!" But Oishi felt so embarrassed that he was praying for the ground to open up beneath him and save him.

"That means 'yes'!" crowed Sister #2. "So you have to do my chores for the next two months!"

"Yeah, okay, but you still have to pay me---oh, hey, Syuichi'? You okay? You look like you're gonna pop a blood vessel or have a major nosebleed or something...."

{{{END FLASHBACK}}} [2]

"I don't know what he was nervous about," Yumiko was laughing. "The Kikumaru family might be a little strange at first, but once you get to know them, it's easy to see what a loving, close-knit, and open-minded family they all are."

"Agreed."

They lapsed into a comfortable, thoughtful silence again. And once again, Yumiko was the one to break it.

"You know, Syusuke, you can't help the hand you're dealt, but the decisions you make... those are what make the hand a winning hand or a losing hand," she said, climbing up to her feet. "I think you've found a strong pair of Kings in your hand, no?" she added, watching Kunimitsu leave the children's play area and start towards them.

"No. Just a wonderful Ace to offset a Joker."

"Ah, but Jokers are wild, little bro," she smiled at him, reaching out to touch his cheek. "It's a good hand, Syusuke. It's a very good hand. Don't worry; you've still got a lot of great things waiting to happen for you both."

In the barest of moves, he leaned into his palm. "Thank you, sister."

"Hey! Don't mention it," she smiled--and it was like looking into a mirror. "What are big sisters for, after all? And speaking of Jokers--her comes the third one in this deck!"

"Who you callin' a 'Joker'?" a voice groused from behind, and Syusuke turned to smile at his brother.

"Good afternoon, Yuuta.... Mizuki..." he greeted even as Yumiko replied, "Why, you, of course. You see any other Jokers out here?"

"Hey."

"Pleasure."

"Hey, baby brother, what've you and you're boy toy been up too recently?" Yumiko asked, laughing as both boys flushed at the comment--she so loved twisting Mizuki's expectations around on him.

"What are you guys talking about over here?" Kunimitsu asked, finally reaching them, climbing up onto the platform and wrapping an arm around Syusuke's waist.

"Oh, just old stuff," the oldest Fuji sibling replied flippantly. "Parenting.... kids.... coming out of the closet..."

There was a moment of silence from all them. And then Yuuta cleared his voice.

"Have you heard from....?"

Yumiko offered a small smile. "I actually talked to Mom yesterday to, you know, wish her a happy mother's day and all..."

"We should call, too," Syusuke murmured, leaning into Kunimitsu's side.

Yuuta nodded, frowning. "Dad would just hang up if he answered first, though--he wouldn't even let me talk to her the last time...."

"Mmmm," Yumiko nodded understandingly. "Which was why I invited her to the picnic today," she added, looking into the kitchen.

Where a middle-aged woman stood nervously, fighting back the tears that shimmered in bright blue eyes. "My babies..."

"Mom...."

"Momma...."

And then Syusuke found himself held tight in another pair of arms that held the strength to chase away the majority of his hurts and fears--arms he hadn't even realized how much he'd missed.

A warm, gentle breeze stirred the air around them, as if reaffirming the connection between parent and child all over again.

"Happy Mother's Day," he murmured.

~~Owari~~

In part dedicated to my own mother, who I didn't realize how much I missed right now until I finished this. ^.^ {swipes at would-be tears} Damn, but I wish I could give her a hug right now. (Despite her reaction being closer to Fuji's dad in here if she ever found out I wrote gay smut >.< Oh well, you don't chose the hand you're dealt, ne?)

[1] you know... I'm *really* interested in knowing how Echizen Sr. took the news once it really registered...

[2] okay, I know Eiji's from a large family... I also know he's the second son. But I have know clue what his siblings' names are! The same for Oishi, Momoshiro and anyone else I'm forgetting! If you have this information, will you please share?