Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Love Sacrifices ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note :
 
Konnichiwa minna-san!!! So sorry for the late update but as I've mentioned in chapter 1, I'm still very busy with assignments so please be patient with me… I'll update as soon as I can… PROMISE!!!
 
Recap chapter 1:
 
“ RYOMA-KUN!!!!!” Sakuno screamed and shook his shoulder hard. Blood was quickly forming a pool around them but Ryoma remained motionless.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
“Hurry and call an ambulance!!”
 
“Towel please!! Someone hand me a towel!!!”
 
“Ryoma-sama!!! Ryoma-sama!!!”
 
Sakuno paid no attention to all the commotion happening around her. Time stood still for her the minute Ryoma fell unconscious on top of her. Although her body is shaking and calling for him, begging him to wake up, deep down in her mind, she felt as if she's watching a movie, as if it was all happening to someone else, as if this was all a horrible nightmare. She hoped against hope that she'll wake up soon, but that hope shattered when she heard the ambulance's siren far away.
 
When the ambulance finally arrived, the paramedics have to practically pry Sakuno off of Ryoma so that they can lift him onto a stretcher and into the ambulance. She followed him all the way to the emergency room but was abruptly stopped by a nurse at the entrance, saying only medical staffs are allowed.
 
Sakuno then walked to the waiting bench, sat down and stared off into space. Tears were streaming down her beautiful pale face. The people that passed by gave her strange and apologetic glances but she's so lost in her own thoughts that she didn't notice any of it.
 
Slowly, she took out her hand phone and auto dial the number that's familiar to her.
 
----- o o o -----
 
“Moshi moshi…”
 
“To... <sniff> Tomo-chan…. <sob>”
 
“Sakuno? Why? What's wrong?”
 
“Tomo-chan!!! He…He tried to protect m-me…And…and…and then… h-h-he….”
 
“Sakuno…Take a long breath…Calm down…Now, tell me from the beginning…”
 
Sakuno took a huge breath and told Tomoka the whole story, stopping occasionally to blow her nose.
 
Tomoka listened with no interruptions.
 
“What's should I do Tomo-chan? What if I've lost him?”
 
“Sakuno. Ryoma-sama is not that weak. I'm sure he'll be fine. You have to be strong at times like this Sakuno. I'll be right over. Wait for me.”
 
“O-Ok Tomo-chan…”
 
Click. The line went dead.
 
Tomoka might sound strong while talking to Sakuno, but her fingers shook badly when they dial the numbers of the other tennis regulars.
 
----- o o o -----
 
“Hello.”
 
“Hello madam. Is this the house of Echizen Ryoma?”
 
“Yes it is. How may I help you?”
 
“Madam, we're sorry to inform you that Echizen Ryoma is involved in an accident earlier this evening at Ryouko Park. Kindly come to the general hospital as soon as possible.”
 
The phone slipped from Rinko's hand and fell with a dull thud on the floor. Nanjiroh peeked in to see what's that sound, but was shocked to see Rinko sitting on the floor with a blank look in her eyes.
 
He rushed to her, took her shoulders firmly and gently shook her.
 
“Rinko…Rinko…! What's wrong??! Oi!!!”
 
“Anata… Ryoma…Ryoma…..”
 
“Ryoma? Oi!! What's up with Ryoma?!!” he demanded.
 
“Just now…Call from hospital… S-Sa…Said that Ryoma is involved in an
a-accident…”
 
“Get changed Rinko. We're going to the hospital now.”
 
----- o o o -----
 
When Nanjiroh and Rinko arrived, they saw all the regulars there including Sakuno and Tomoka. Sakuno was crying softly and Tomoka was hugging and telling her that everything is gonna be alright.
 
“What happened?” asked Nanjiroh as he approached the group of youngsters.
 
Sakuno rubbed her eyes dry, stood up and told him.
 
Silence fell like a heavy blanket on the group after Sakuno ended her story. For the first time since he was born, Nanjiroh was left speechless. His face betrayed nothing of his current feelings but Rinko knew him well enough to know where to look.
 
His eyes.
 
His eyes which are always so bright and confident are now filled with shadowed pain. She put her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder to comfort both herself and her husband. She understood him very well.
 
In the eyes of a stranger, Nanjiroh is like a wasted man. Always lazing around reading perverted magazines and doing everything he can to annoy Ryoma, but she knew Ryoma meant the world to him.
 
She was shocked to the core, along with the whole world, when he suddenly decided to retire at the brink or success, claiming that he's had enough, but only she and his old coach knew why he did that. He chose Ryoma over his own bright future.
 
She smiled sadly. That little thought comforted her troubled heart and she hugged Nanjiroh tighter hoping to calm him too.
 
The other regulars stood and watched silently, each hoping that their little o'chibi is alright.
 
----- o o o -----
 
When the emergency light is turned off, once again the tension among the group peeked.
 
The doctor was ambushed the minute he stepped out of the room.
 
“How's Ryoma-kun?”
 
“How's O'chibi??”
 
“Doctor, how is Echizen?”
 
Tezuka stepped up to the centre and the doctor turned to him.
 
He bowed curtly and spoke, “Echizen is my kouhai, doctor. How is he?”
 
The doctor adjusted his spectacles, cleared his throat and spoke.
 
“Echizen-kun lost a lot of blood and suffered a severe injury to his back and shoulder muscles. I've managed to stitch them together but there will be difficulties for him to bend freely in the future. I'm sorry. He won't be able to play tennis ever again. Please, excuse me.”
 
He passed Ryoma's patient file to the nurse on his left, bowed and walked away.
 
----- o o o -----
 
“RYOMA-KUN!!!” wailed Sakuno as she collapsed onto the floor crying her heart out.
 
Tomoka stood rooted on the spot. Her eyes and mouth hung open.
 
Kaidoh punched the wall as hard as he could and hoped that the pain in his knuckles will push away the pain in his heart.
 
Momoshiro hugged Kawamura-senpai and wept. Although he tried his best, Kawamura can't stop the tears from spilling out.
 
Oishii hugged the sobbing Kikumaru wept too. Fuji walked over and patted their shoulders gently, trying to comfort them.
 
Inui's pen paused on top of his notebook for a very long time. He then lift up his hand to wipe away his tears while pretending to adjust his spectacles but it didn't gp unnoticed by Fuji. Fuji then glanced around and looked at Tezuka.
 
As usual, Tezuka's face remains unchanged, but Fuji knew him long enough to catch the small body signs he's giving off to show that he's extremely troubled. His head is slightly bent and his eyes are shadowed by his glasses as he leaned against the wall silently.
 
Nanjiroh hugged Rinko to him tightly, trying his best to control his tears but they spilled out when Rinko pressed her tear stained cheeks into his shoulder and whispered words of comfort to him softly.
 
“Everything will be alright anata. Ryoma's strong. He can get through this. Come on. Let's clean up and go inside. I'm sure he'll not want to see us like this.”
 
They washed their faces and wiped their tears dry before stepping into the room.
 
Ryoma is sleeping peacefully due to the influence of the drug administered to him during his operation. His face, relaxed in sleep was heart stopping handsome. It is hard to believe that Ryoma can never play tennis again.
 
As the group stared down at him, they felt a terrible loss. Tennis would never be the same again for each of them without Ryoma.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
End Note :
 
Well, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed my story so far…. XD
 
Wanna take this chance to say thank you for all your wonderful reviews and please continue to support me…
 
Arigatou minna-san!!! ^_^
 
Don't forget… R&R please!!! ^o^