Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Plum Blossoms ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Kikumaru Eiji was waiting for Oishi Syuichirou on the corner in front of the Family Mart a few blocks over from Seigaku's tennis courts. That is, waiting for him doing a one-handed handstand, attracting a crowd and cheerfully piping "Hoi hoi, I'll do any acrobatic for a tube of toothpaste!" He was quickly getting offers from any kid with a 500 yen piece in his pocket, "If you do a backflip, I'll get you orange peppermint!" or "No if you this, that, and the other I'll get you cherry mint burst!"

Oishi had spotted the crowd from down the block, sucked in his breath and thought "Eiji's probably in the middle of that ring." Unsurprised, he politely made his way through the flock of people, bowed to the crowd, the store owner, and the gods above for the embarrassing display his friend and double partner was causing. He then pulled Kikumaru firmly away despite his protests "Nya, Oishi, I got an offer for that brand new Pineapple Twist brand for only a handspring backflip!"

In spite of himself, Oishi found himself laughing out loud at what was getting to be everyday occurrences now that the team was on break. Tennis season had taken a break due to the monsoon season, which although wasn't as bad as southern Japan, brought irritatingly frequent bursts of torrential rain to the more northern Tokyo. Today had been exceptionally clear though and great day to be out practicing and the Golden Pair had decided to meet for a few rounds to ward off the atrophy that comes, not to mention Eiji's knack for getting into mild trouble.

Although Eiji wasn't his best friend, Oishi always found Kikumaru to be something of that little brother he would want to have, although he found Kikumaru sometimes had an uncanny resemblance to his younger sister. "Nya, Oishi, so what's up? You needed to talk to me about something? A new formation you want to try out? I don't think I can try out anything too great with this second racket, I mean my usually racket's in the shop and ...". At the moment, Eiji was kind of reminiscent of a hyperactive Ibu Shinji, just running off at the mouth.

"Eiji." Oishi stated, suddenly snapping both himself and Kikumaru out of their respective stupors. Kikumaru turned suddenly, stood on his tippy toes and stared back into Oishi's face point blank, a mere 10 centimeters from his face. "Hurm, Oishiiiiiii~~~~! Something's wrong! The corners of your eyes are turned down just a little, like how they always do when you're thinking about something serious! Well you're always worrying but your eyes are curling down even more than usual! Actually you look about as worried as the time you got lost in subway and I had to get you that map and now you carry it with you all the time to make sure you never get lost again... and... uh oops, but anyway, what's wrong Oishiiiii?"

"Eiji, I like someone and I don't know how to tell that person, and I think it's one sided. I mean I've known the person for a long time and I'm pretty sure it would never work out and..." He stopped himself, realizing he was picking up on Kikumaru's habit of rambling on when he got nervous. "Ano yatsu?" Kikumaru stated quite simply, as Oishi flinched slightly at the implied meaning behind the word. It drifted toward the masculine and Oishi face faulted. "How did you know...I mean I've never gone out of my way to..."

Kikumaru suddenly burst into laughter. "Nya, Oishi~~~! I may look like a girl, but's YOU'RE the one who acts like one! You're always hen picking and well... you're not especially macho. Not that I mind, Oishi is Oishi and I like that but, I think the only one who doesn't suspect is probably Ochibi chan cause he's usually too busy watching the courts to watch anything else." Oishi inwardly smiled at this fact, grateful no one has changed their respect or kindness toward him despite his distinct difference between them. Wait, did that mean the one he liked suspected as well? Oishi wondered how that would bode for his up and coming confession. Their pace slowed and stopped in front of the street tennis courts, although neither one had an inclination to enter the courts to play anymore.

"Does that mean you know who I... uhm... like?" Little strips of black hair fell forward to shade his green eyes slightly, which were averted and setting off the pink in his cheeks. The red haired boy smiled. "Heh, Oishi, you know you only talk to me seriously when it concerns two things, tennis or when it's something you can't talk to Tezuka about." He grinned, showing off his perpetually glossy white teeth that matched the trendy white bandage on his cheek he kept there like Tachibana Akane from his favourite character from the manga, I'll. "You know, despite what your doubts, I know you're the type of person who won't be dishonest and hide his feelings. I bet you were going to ask me when you should confess. You know, you should go and tell him, now! I think buchou's in school now anyway, I heard Ryuzaki-sensei mentioning for him to come in to discuss the non regulars ranking matches. You'll feel better after you tell him." The shorter boy pushed the taller one in the direction of Seikgaku junior high. "Just go! I'll text message Tezuka to wait for you in the club room. I'll catch up with you later under the plum blossoms, now just go!"

Oishi smiled his widest smile at his partner, emboldened by his friend's boisterous support, he ran off in the direction of Seigaku's Academy's tennis courts. He reached the club house, almost breathless, but energized by Kikumaru's kind words. He stopped just outside the door to pull out his small pocket mirror out of his bag to fix his disheveled wind-blown hair when he paused at voices inside of the clubhouse. His heart skipped a beat when he distinctly heard Tezuka's low baritone and another voice. Familiar and yet not. "Tezuka, we need to talk." Tachibana Kippei, Fudoumine's captain. Oishi's lips pressed down slightly at the lack of the honorific -san or -kun typically used. Oishi took a step back from the door, thinking it was wrong for him to be overhearing something that was obviously important enough for Fudoumine's captain to come all this way to Seigaku to talk in person. Yet, curiosity got to the better of him and he stayed his ground, in fact, he leaned in closer.

"Tachibana... We can't talk about this here. Oishi's going to be coming any moment." In the crack of the doorway, Oishi could make out Tachibana Kippei's hand sliding over Tezuka Kunimitsu's in a graceful, and yet coveting motion. "Okay, later then, you can come over to my house, my parents are away and my sister will be out with Akira and Shinji karaoking tonight. But for now... a small present, I heard you like to fish." Tachibana pulled a small fishing hook out of his pocket, caught Tezuka's belt with it and pulled him closer. "Caught you." Tezuka let out a neutral grunt, but there was a slight smile in the corners of his eyes. "Okay, later then." That was enough for Oishi. Tezuka never looks that way at me. He stood up quickly, so quickly his head spun, turned on his heel and walked toward the exit. He pulled out his cell phone and numbly typed in "I can't make it, I have too much homework, I'll discuss the non reg rankings with you on Monday. -Oishi" With all of his might, he pressed down on the send button.

From under the plum blossoms, Kikumaru spotted Oishi walking quickly toward the exit. He ran up behind Oishi and for once was really quiet. They walked far, Oishi answering all of Kikumaru's questions with his silence. Eventually the pair ended up by the bin on the hill overlooking the city. Kikumaru deftly scrambled up, and saying nothing and everything at once with an outstretched hand he pulled up Oishi to the top of the bin where they over looked at sunset. Oishi laid down and placing his head into Kikumaru's lap, sobbed for a really long time. Kikumaru sat there, not to crying, trying for once to be Oishi's safe harbor.

As the sun began to set, Oishi sat up, looked at the red haired boy, mustered a smile and an almost apologetic "Arigatou. For being there, for being my partner." Kikumaru Eiji smiled, sucked in his breath and whistled, patiently waiting for the day when the Golden Pair status would transcend to something more than just on the court.