Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Singing Juices: A Tenipuri Musical ❯ That Next Day ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
-
Chapter #3: That Next Day
-
The next day, Momo had to wait until everybody was changing for morning practice before he could ask his question. “So did anybody else burst into song again last night or were me and Echizen just special?” Taking his shoes from out of his locker, Momo turned around and began putting them on, not really paying attention to who he was asking.
“Ochibi sang?” Eiji asked excitedly.
Looking up at the question, Momo grinned and nodded. Then he pulled his shoelaces tight and stood up, ready to go.
Ryoma pulled his shirt over his head and turned around to face them, apparently curious and going to ignore the fact that Momo had just announced his embarrassment for all to hear. As long as Momo didn't tell them what he sang about “I don't remember that. When did you sing?”
And suddenly Momo wished he hadn't said anything. Or at least had left out the part where he sang. It hadn't crossed his mind till then that Ryoma would ask questions if told. “It was after you left,” he said uneasily, hoping Ryoma wouldn't ask any more questions.
But, of course, Ryoma asked more questions. “What'd you sing about?”
“My socks,” Momo lied nervously. Ryoma could not find out. “What do you think?”
Ryoma ignored the lie and guessed with a smirk, “Something embarrassing.”
No,” Momo denied, trying to sound indignant, “It was about my socks. About how fluffy and comfy they were. You know - socks. The things on your feet.” Ryoma's smirk was getting wider at the babble and Momo hurriedly turned back to the others, desperate for a change of topic. “Sooo . . . did anybody else sing?”
“Yes.” Already ready for practice and just waiting for the others, Inui adjusted his glasses. “I'm curious about that as well.”
Kaidoh was pointedly not looking at anybody, keeping his back to them and busying himself with something in his tennis bag.
Inui, of course, noticed this. “Kaidoh?”
Kaidoh stiffened and paused in his search for the ever elusive something, but didn't turn. “Yes, senpai?”
“I take it by your silence that you sang again as well?”
A pause, then, quieter than before, “Yes, senpai.” Momo would've made fun of his shy response, and probable blush, but he was a little too busy trying to avoid Ryoma's amused gaze by looking anywhere but at him. Like at that wall. That was an interesting wall. All plain white and wall-ish. He was going to stare at it for awhile.
“No fair!” Eiji complained, throwing his hands up dramatically, “Everybody's sang except for me!” Crossing his arms, he began to pout.
Oishi tried to reassure him, patting him on the shoulder. “I'm sure you'll have your turn.”
“You'd think you'd be glad,” Ryoma said dryly, finally turning away from Momo, and Momo let out a sigh of relief.
Fuji chuckled at Eiji's complaints but turned to Inui. “Have you discovered the reason behind this?”
Inui nodded. “Yes. I've separated the ingredients of my Super-Super Redux Double Edition Juice Version Pink and have discovered that when mixed together in this certain fashion the ingredients act together as a type of mass hallucinogen and stimulate the brain to produce a small compulsion—that would be why you have talked of “hearing music” and what brings on the strange need for you to sing your innermost feelings.”
Catching that phrase, Eiji looked up, blinking cutely. “Innermost feelings?”
“Yes. The drug cannot create something that is not already there so it acts on emotion to create the so-called songs you are singing.”
Everyone missed the sight of Kaidoh's back tensing up again, a sock clenched tightly in his fist. Then that meant that . . . he really was lonely? Then what . . .
“It won't hurt them, will it?” Oishi asked worriedly.
Inui shook his head. “Not that I can tell. The effects seem to be limited to the ones we have already seen.”
“And is there a cure?” Ryoma asked impatiently. He didn't want to sing ever again. That had been too embarrassing. And it was just what he needed to end up singing in front of his dad. He'd never live it down.
“Not at the moment, no. Though I do believe that with time the effects will dwindle down to nothing on their own.”
“Oh, come on, Ochibi,” Eiji said, “I think it's fun!”
Ryoma gave him a disgruntled look. “That's because you haven't sang yet.”
“I will though.” Eiji looked determined.
“And these songs are what we actually feel?” Momo asked redundantly, just needing to make sure. He hadn't heard any of the questions past that one, stuck dumbly on the implications. Because if these songs were what they really felt then that meant . . .
“Yes,” Inui said simply, nodding again.
And, slowly, Momo began to grin. “Then that means . . .” He turned suddenly, jabbing a finger in Ryoma's direction triumphantly, “I knew you loved me!”
Eiji blinked. “Hoi?”
“Momo . . .” Oishi began, starting to warn him before he could say anything more.
Too excited to hear, Momo ignored Oishi, turning to Eiji, “His song! He sang—
“Momo-senpai, if you finish that sentence, I will not be responsible for what I do,” Ryoma all but growled, “You brought it on yourself.”
Eiji turned to the boy, shocked by the venom. “Ochibi!”
Fuji chuckled. “Now Echizen, is that any way to treat a senpai?”
But Momo stopped, beginning to look uncertain. “Um . . .” Slowly, his finger lowered and he turned back to the first-year, just then realizing that Ryoma probably didn't want that particular song shared with the others. “Echizen, I wasn't . . .”
“You weren't what?” Ryoma glared.
“Um . . .” Momo faltered, staring nervously at Ryoma, not knowing what to say. He looked to the others for help, but got nothing.
Thankfully Tezuka came in at that moment, saving him from doing anything else. “What are you all doing in here?” Tezuka asked, glaring at the whole group, “Get out on the courts. It's time for practice.”
Momo breathed another sigh of relief and chorused with the others, “Right!”
 
 
Later, during the break, Momo tried to get Ryoma to talk to him again but Ryoma was more than a little pissed that Momo had almost blurted out what he had sung yesterday.
“Echizen, come on,” Momo tried.
Ryoma crossed his arms over his chest and turned away from the other boy. “No.”
Momo moved to be in Ryoma's line of sight. “Echizen.”
Ryoma looked the other way. “No, Momo-senpai.”
“I didn't mean to. You know I didn't mean to.”
“I don't care,” Ryoma said, stubbornly holding onto his anger, “Go away.”
“But Echizen!”
“No.”
Watching them from a few feet away, Fuji chuckled softly.
“How long do you think Ochibi can keep this up?” Eiji asked, amused by his teammate's usual arguing.
“He'll be eating out of Momo's wallet by the end of the day,” Fuji predicted.
Eiji snickered. “Poor Momo.”
“Yes,” Fuji agreed, smile on his face, and the two watched as Momo tried yet again to get Ryoma to listen to him, his attempt only resulting in Ryoma walking away. Momo followed and Ryoma walked away again. This repeated over and over and the two weaved in and out of the mingling Regulars, arguing all the way. Fuji sighed. “Unrequited love can be so tiring to watch.” There sounded like there could be a hint in there, but Eiji steadfastly refused to acknowledge it.
“Yeah, but nobody knows if Ochibi goes that way,” Eiji pointed out instead, “He's so young.”
“He's fifteen,” Fuji said and turned to Eiji, “Do you remember when you were fifteen? All those boys . . . Oishi . . .” he trailed off leadingly, the dirty implications hanging in the air.
Eiji's face flushed. “Fuji!” He shot a quick nervous glance over at where Oishi was talking with Tezuka, making sure he hadn't heard. Then, leaning in so as not to be overheard, whispered furiously, “Don't say things like that!”
Fuji merely smiled serenely, happy that he had gotten a reaction
“And anyways,” Eiji continued, “You know things aren't like that with me and Oishi. He doesn't like me like that.”
“Are you so sure?” That sounded like Fuji knew something, but there was no way.
Eiji nodded glumly. “Yeah. I tried flirting. He didn't even notice.”
“That could simply be because you are usually such an affectionate person. Maybe he thought that you were merely acting true to form.”
Eiji looked up, feeling hope beginning to rise. “You think? You think he likes me?”
“I know he does. Who couldn't? You're so cute.” Reaching out, Fuji gently tugged on a lock of red hair and smiled.
“Nya,” Eiji said, excited, “Do you think I should try again then? We're going out for ice cream today, I could— he stopped. What could he do? “I don't know!” he freaked and turned to Fuji, “What do I do?! Tell me!” Eiji hung on Fuji's arm and begged.
Fuji laughed at his antics.
Fujiiiiiii . . .” Eiji whined, wanting to be helped not laughed at.
“Relax. Don't worry. I'll help you.”
“Yeah!” Eiji jumped up and threw his arms around the other boy in a spontaneous hug. “You're the best!” Fuji smiled and returned the hug half-way, patting him on the back. And in the background, Eiji thought he heard music playing. It sounded a lot like yesterday when Kaidoh and Momo had sung for them, but maybe one of the second-years had simply decided to try out practicing to a beat. Nakayama-sensei wouldn't like that.
Letting go of Fuji, he looked around curiously. There was no radio, but Momo and Ryoma seemed to have made up and were a good few feet away, Ryoma looking around almost nervously and Momo with a large grin on his face. Obviously they heard the music too.
“Eiji?” Fuji asked, obviously wondering what Eiji was looking for.
“Do you hear that?” Eiji asked.
“Hear what?”
“That music. You don't hear it?” Eiji turned back to him and Fuji shook his head. “Really?!” Eiji asked, starting to get excited. He could guess what that meant. “Do you think I'm going to start singing then? Everybody else has and it's not fair that I haven't.”
“Oh well uh you might think I'm crazy to hang around with you. Even from this far away they could hear Momo beginning to sing.
Fuji chuckled when Eiji immediately looked crestfallen. “I think it's safe to say that no. You won't.”
Or maybe you think I'm lucky to have something to do,” Momo sang on and, realizing that this could be just as good, Eiji perked up. He turned to Fuji and whispered conspiratorially, “Let's get closer.” Smiling, Fuji nodded and the two casually made their way over to where Ryoma and Momo stood. Ryoma turned to glare at the two, protectively angry about them witnessing Momo's embarrassment, but otherwise kept his attention focused on Momo and what he was singing. He was singing rather loudly too, so all of the other Regulars were soon paying close attention. Oishi seemed like he wanted to do something to help Momo but couldn't quite figure out what he could do.
Momo, meanwhile, still had that wide grin on his face and was looking at Ryoma almost adoringly. A little more open about his feelings than Eiji had ever seen him. But I think that you're wild. Inside me is some child.”
Hearing this, Eiji snickered. That was true.
“You might think I'm foolish,” Momo sang but then seemed to reconsider and shrugged, Or maybe it's untrue. You might think I'm crazy but all I want is you.”
It took a second for that to hit and when it did Ryoma's eyes grew wide and he took a step back. Eiji could almost see Ryoma's thought process—Inui said that the songs were their innermost feelings. Then that meant . . .
“Oh my . . .” Fuji murmured with a smile, looking amused.
You might think it's hysterical but I know when you're weak,” Momo sang on obliviously, You think you're in the movies. Everything's so deep.
Eiji didn't know how true that last statement was, but maybe he just didn't know Ryoma well enough. Ryoma had always seemed pretty down to earth to him.
But I think that you're wild when you flash that cocky ole smile,” Momo sang, and now Ryoma was staring up at him, his eyes wide in shock and obviously unsure of just how to react. You might think it's foolish - what ya put me through. You might think I'm crazy. All I want is you.” Hearing this again, Ryoma sucked in a sharp breath.
Eiji heard the music slow and Momo grabbed Ryoma's hands and pulled the shocked boy closer, looking dramatically solemn. And it's hard,” he sang, covering Ryoma's hands with his larger ones, “So hard to take. There's no escape, without a scream.” The music changed and a beat played as Momo's solemn expression changed into a smirk. “But you kept it going `til the sun fell down,” Another beat played and Momo pulled Ryoma even closer, “You kept it - lowering his head so that he was singing in Ryoma's ear, “going.”
That was the first flirty move on Ryoma that Eiji had ever seen Momo make and such a big step obviously needed to be cheered for. “Wooo!” he cheered, waving a hand in the air, “Go Momo!”
Ryoma blushed but didn't move as Momo sang in his ear and Momo laughed, putting an arm around the freshman and pulling him into his side. The music picked up again and Momo was back to smiling, “Oh well uh you might think I'm delirious the way I run you down. But somewhere sometimes when you're curious, Momo leered suggestively. “I'll be back around.” Hearing the perverted undertones, Ryoma's eyes widened again and he started to struggle in Momo's hold. Momo laughed again and gave him some space, but still held on to one hand so that Ryoma couldn't move too far away, “Oh I think that you're wild,” he sang, “and so-o uniquely styled.” One hand still holding on to his, Ryoma got nearly an arms length away before Momo spun him around and pulled him closer again. Dizzy from the spin, Ryoma blinked dazedly
You might think it's foolish, this chancy rendezvous,” Momo sang, holding Ryoma to his chest and looking down at the boy adoringly, “You might think I'm crazy. All I want is you, Oh-oh all I want is you.” He drew back from Ryoma to look deeply into his eyes. “All I want is you,” (1) he stressed, seeming to want to make sure Ryoma got that, and then fell silent, the music fading away in the background.
“Um . . .” Momo said as the past few minutes caught up with him, turning bright red. Slowly, he pulled his arm from around Ryoma's shoulders, watching Ryoma watch him.
From the side, Fuji started to clap, almost mockingly to Momo's ears. But Momo ignored him, unable to tear his eyes away from Ryoma and his reaction.
“Echizen . . .” he tried when he could find his voice. But he didn't have anything to say after that.
“You . . .” Ryoma said, staring up at Momo with wide, wary, eyes. “You want me?” he asked, voice showing just how confused he really was.
Momo didn't know what to say. He'd never meant to actually tell Ryoma, planning to take that secret with him to his grave. But he wasn't about to lie to the boy. “Um . . . yes?”
“What . . . what does that even mean?”
“Um . . .” Momo was all too aware of the others at his back, watching this whole thing. He wished they were doing this somewhere where the other Regulars weren't. This was way too public. “Why don't we talk about this in the locker room?” he suggested instead of answering. And he was about to take Ryoma by the wrist, because it didn't look like the boy would be moving on his own any time soon, and lead him there when Tezuka spoke up.
“No,” Tezuka said firmly from his spot by the benches, “Break is over. You can talk about this later.”
Momo couldn't believe this. “But Buchou!”
Tezuka frowned at the insubordination. “10 laps.”
“But - but—” Momo sputtered. He couldn't just leave it like this. Not with Ryoma looking so confused and lost.
“20,” Tezuka said.
“But—
”It doesn't matter,” Ryoma said, seeming to come back to himself and shaking off the vulnerability.
Turning to him in shock, Momo started to ask, “Wha— but Ryoma just pushed past him, pulling the brim of his hat lower and avoiding all eye-contact. “But Echizen!” Momo protested.
Ryoma stopped but didn't turn to look at him. “You don't want to get Tezuka-buchou mad. Come on.”
It seemed like Ryoma had decided to ignore the past few minutes completely. That hurt. Rejection.
Momo took a deep breath and let it out, hoping the sting would pass. He tried to remind himself that he'd known this would happen. Struggling, he succeeded in pasting a forced smile on his face. “Alright.” And he turned to make his way onto the courts to run his laps.
 
 
Morning practice let out, they went to school, they had lunch, they went to afternoon practice, and Ryoma took to avoiding Momo. Whenever Momo would try to approach Ryoma would duck his head and walk the other way. At lunch Ryoma ate on the roof instead of their normal spot under the tree. At practice Ryoma played against Kaidoh and ignored any attempts at conversation. And all through this, Momo smiled, accepting each brush-off gracefully.
But Oishi had seen how much it hurt, catching the barely there moments when the smile would break or when Momo was distracted from his game. And now Oishi was out getting ice cream with Eiji, something he usually enjoyed but couldn't today. One of his teammates had been hurt and another was lost and confused. That did not make for a happy Oishi.
Noticing this, Eiji poked him and he looked up. “What's wrong?” Eiji asked. The two of them were seated on a bench outside of their usual ice cream place, each with a cone in hand though only Eiji seemed to be enjoying his.
Oishi sighed and gave his ice cream cone a lick. It was starting to melt. “I'm worried about Momo. He must be hurting after what happened today.”
“Maybe he and Ochibi will talk and everything will be fine,” Eiji tried to reassure him, “You never know.”
“Yeah, but still. I can't believe that had to happen right in the middle of practice. With everyone watching. And then to get rejected . . .” Oishi trailed off, unable to imagine what that would feel like.
“Maybe Ochibi just doesn't like public declarations of love,” Eiji said, then seemed to consider his words, “Not that Momo really said he was in love with him or anything. Just that he wanted him.” Looking down at his own ice cream cone, Eiji looked frustrated, “He was so close though.”
Oishi absently turned his ice cream cone around in his hand, stared at it, and tried to think positively. “Maybe it's for the best. You know Momo doesn't want anyone to know he's gay. He won't even tell us.”
Having gone back to his ice cream, Eiji broke away from his cone long enough to say, “But it's completely obvious.”
Oishi sighed and nodded. “Yeah . . .”
“And after today it doesn't really matter what he wants,” Eiji continued, “Everybody knows. Not that they didn't know already.”
Realizing this, Oishi couldn't help but feel even sorrier for the boy. “Poor Momo . . .” To think, not only had he been rejected, but the secret he'd tried so hard to keep was now common knowledge. Thank God only the Regulars had been paying attention when that song had started. Nodding to himself, Oishi looked up at Eiji, suddenly determined “We should help him.”
His ice cream beginning to melt, Eiji was busy trying to lick his cone clean before it ran down his fingers and asked through the cone, “Haa?”
Mentally translating that, Oishi frowned. “I don't really know.”
Getting the last of it, Eiji gave his ice cream cone one more lick before turning to Oishi. “Maybe we should ask Fuji.”
Oishi looked scared at that idea and suddenly changed his mind. “Or maybe we should just let them figure it out themselves.”
“Yeah,” Eiji agreed slowly, seeming to remember what Fuji was like as he looked off into the distance. “Fuji is scary.” He turned to Oishi. “Do you remember the time he—
“Yes,” Oishi cut in, not wanting to remember that particular time.
“What do you think he was thinking when he did that?” Eiji asked curiously. As though anyone could actually understand the inner workings of Fuji's mind.
“I have no idea.” He did actually have a bit of a clue. As far as he could tell it had been a rather elaborate plan to get him and Eiji together. It had not turned out good.
“I think he was trying to get us together,” Eiji said matter-of-factly.
Oishi's eyes widened and he turned to stare at Eiji in fright. Eiji wasn't supposed to know that. “T - together?” he stuttered, “Why would - why would you think that?”
Eiji shrugged casually, turning back to his ice cream and biting into the cone. “Just something he said.”
And now Oishi was really getting nervous, forgetting about his ice cream completely. “W - what did he say?”
“He said that you liked me.”
Oishi choked. “What?
“He said that you liked me,” Eiji repeated, munching on the rest of his cone. “Is he right?” Nervous, unable to believe he had actually asked that, Eiji looked at Oishi from the corner of his eye.
“I . . . well I- I -” Oishi didn't know what to say to that. He wanted to deny everything but that would be wrong.
Hearing this, Eiji turned to him fully, a grin growing on his face. “It's true!”
“No!” Oishi denied and then hated himself. But he couldn't let Eiji think it was true. Then he'd want to get together and Oishi couldn't do that. He wanted to just stay friends.
But Eiji ignored him, already knowing the truth. “It's true!”
“Eiji! Not so loud!” People were beginning to look their way.
“It's no use denying it,” Eiji told him, unable to stop smiling. “Everybody already thinks it.”
Did they? Oishi had heard something like that but had refused to believe it. “No they don't,” he insisted.
Eiji smiled and seemed to disagree, but instead of saying anything his mouth opened and he began to sing. People are talking, talking `bout people.” And Oishi felt his eyes go wide for a different reason. The singing!
Eiji hadn't sung before so they hadn't been too worried about being in public but maybe they should have. They were in the middle of a crowded public street. This was not the place for Eiji to break into song.
I hear them whisper,” Eiji continued, “You won't believe iiit. They think we're lovers kept under coveeers. I just ignore it, but they keep saying we laugh just a little too loud. We staaand just a little too close,” Eiji grinned and moved closer on the bench. Holding himself stiff, Oishi stared at the small amount of space now between them. “We staaare just a little too loooong,” Eiji sang, leaning his head against Oishi's shoulder and looking up into his eyes. Maybe they're seeing something we don't, darlin'.
Nervously looking away from Eiji, Oishi scanned the area, noticing all the people that were watching them. They needed to get out of here. Throwing away his ice cream and grabbing Eiji by the arm, Oishi pulled him up and dragged him into the ice cream shop. “Come on.” He thought he'd seen a bathroom in there.
Let's give them something to talk about,” Eiji kept singing as he was dragged, staring at Oishi with an almost adoring expression on his face, Let's give them something to talk about. Let's give them something to talk about. How about looooo-ooo-oo-ooo-oove?”
They did have a bathroom and Oishi quickly shoved inside, shutting the door behind them and locking it. Then turned back to Eiji who was still singing.
“I feel so foolish,” Eiji said, advancing on him. Panicky, Oishi looked for an escape route but there was none. He'd just locked the door “I never noticed. You'd act so nervous.” Getting in close, Eiji let his fingers crawl up Oishi's chest Could you be falling for meee? Fingers getting to the top, he tilted his head inquisitively and grinned. “It took a rumor to make me wondeeer. Now I'm convinced I'm goooiing under.”
Eiji pushed Oishi into the door, getting even closer, and Oishi turned red, holding himself stiff. Eiji was just a little too close. “Thinking `bout you every day,” Eiji sang, pressing his body into his, Dreaming `bout you eeevery night. I'm hoping that you feel the same waaay. Now that we know it, let's really show it, darlin'. Hands still resting on Oishi's chest, Eiji pressed his forehead against Oishi's and sang, Let's give them something to talk about. A little mystery to figure ooouut. Let's give them something to talk about. How about looove, loooove, looooooove?”
Ending that one note, Eiji took a breath and pressed their faces together in a kiss. Numbly, Oishi felt himself respond and he mentally kicked himself for it. Stopping himself, he pushed Eiji away, successfully getting Eiji to move back a few steps. “Eiji?” he asked, looking at his friend, hoping he was done.
But he wasn't done. “Let's give them something to taaalk abooooout, baby,” Eiji sang in response, stubbornly moving closer again and pushing Oishi against the door a second time. A little mystery to figure ooouut. Let's give them something to talk abooout. How about looooo-ooo-oooo-ooooo-oo-ooooooooove?” (2) And with that long note Eiji finally stopped, coming back to himself. Noticing their rather close position, he smiled almost sheepishly.
“Uh . . . hey.”
“Yeah, hey,” Oishi replied, blushing, “Are you done?”
Eiji nodded, still far too close. “I think so.”
“Then . . . Do you think you could back up a bit?”
Eiji cheerfully shook his head. “Nope. I think I like it here.” He put his hands on Oishi's chest and moved even closer.
“Eiji!” Oishi protested, blush worsening, and hurriedly pushed Eiji's hands and the boy away.
Eiji grinned but stayed where he was. “You know you like it.”
“Eiji, no,” Oishi said firmly, still blushing, but beginning to get himself together. “We can't.”
Eiji pouted. “Why not? You locked the door. Nobody can come in here.”
“It's not that. We just . . . we just can't. I don't . . . like you like that.” The words hurt to say, but were necessary.
“Yes you do,” Eiji countered, “I know you do. You kissed back.”
Cursing himself for the slip, Oishi shook his head. “It was instinctual.”
Now Eiji was starting to frown. “I know you like me. Why can't you just admit it?”
“Because we're both boys! And we should just be friends. That's it.”
Eiji looked confused. “What does both of us being boys have to do with anything? Tezuka and Fuji are both boys and you don't have a problem with them. So are Inui and Kaidoh.”
Oishi sighed and turned away. “Just . . . let it go.”
“No,” Eiji said stubbornly. “I won't. Why does the fact that we're boys matter?”
“It's not just that! It's everything. We just . . . can't.” That was the best way to describe it and Oishi shook his head. “I'm not talking about this anymore.”
“But Oishi!” Eiji protested.
Oishi shook his head again, turning around to unlock the door. “I'm not. Come on.” He held the door open and looked back at his friend, waiting for Eiji to go first.
Not happy, Eiji pushed past him, promising, “We will talk about this.”
And they probably would because when had Oishi ever really been able to deny Eiji anything? But for right now Oishi ignored him and followed him out the door.
 
 
 
“You Might Think” by The Cars
“Something to Talk About” by Bonnie Raitt