Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Singing Juices: A Tenipuri Musical ❯ The Loose Ends ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Firstly thanks to speadee and Paffu who reviewed. And I actually thought this was going to be the last chapter but then I thought that it would sound a lot better if I made it into two. So here you go, the second to last chapter.
-
Chapter #10: The Loose Ends
-
After saying good-bye to Oishi on the front-porch—no kissing yet. Oishi wasn't quite that comfortable—Eiji rushed into his house and up to his room, dropping his tennis bag and backpack on his bed and frantically searching through them for his cell phone. He had to tell Fuji the good news!
Finally he found the phone and he immediately began dialing Fuji's number by memory. The phone began to ring. And ring. And ring. And finally the answering machine picked up. As the familiar recorded message played in his ear, Eiji plopped down on his bed, still grinning excitedly, not brought down in the least by the fact that Fuji wasn't picking up.
The message finally finished and he heard the tone—his cue to start talking.
“Fuji! Fuji!” he said excitedly, “It worked! Your plan actually worked! It's so cool! Call me back when you—
He was interrupted by Fuji picking up the phone. “Eiji?”
“Fuji!” Eiji exclaimed, grin widening if possible and bouncing on the bed. “Guess what?! Guess what?!”
Fuji gave a soft chuckle, but it sounded almost forced. “I take it your talk with Oishi went well?”
“It actually worked!” Eiji exclaimed, too excited at the moment to notice that Fuji wasn't as happy as he was. “What you said to him actually worked! He thought things out and said okay! Isn't that great?”
“That's wonderful.” Eiji could hear the smile in Fuji's voice, but this time he also noticed just how tired and faking it Fuji sounded. Eiji frowned, beginning to settle down with the knowledge that things may be great for him but they might not be for Fuji. “Is everything okay?”
“Oh yes,” Fuji said and Eiji could still hear that smile as Fuji tried to wave his concern off, “Kunimitsu and I just had a little fight, that's all.”
“Over what?” Eiji asked, starting to become concerned. Fuji and Tezuka fought a lot, but when they did it was always over something stupid like some plan that Fuji had decided to put into action, not ever over anything serious that would make Fuji act all sad like he was now.
“Nothing,” Fuji tried, “Just a little difference in opinion over something stupid.”
But Eiji wasn't an idiot and he knew his best friend. “No. No, you wouldn't sound like that if it was over something stupid. It was big. What was it?”
Fuji chuckled again, but this time he didn't even try to hide the tiredness. “I guess I can't fool you.”
Fuji probably could easily, but Eiji didn't think he wanted to just then. He probably wanted to talk and just wouldn't admit to it so he was unconsciously trying to get someone else to force him to talk instead. But Eiji would let him have his delusions.
“No,” Eiji said almost smugly “You can't. So you'd better start talking. What happened?”
There was a pause as Fuji seemed to collect his thoughts. Then: “You remember how you told me that Kunimitsu's family mistreats him because of his relationship with me?”
Oh. It was about that. Eiji started to have a bad feeling about this. “Yeah?” he replied almost hesitantly, remembering his part in the whole situation.
“Well, I went over to his house when he was out the other day and had a little “talk” with them.”
Eiji was starting to see where this was headed. “You didn't,” fell from his lips, even though Eiji knew that of course Fuji did.
Fuji ignored him and continued. “Well, you can imagine how unhappy Kunimitsu was with me when he found out. He actually forced me to cancel my plans for today and come over to his house again to apologize in person.
“It didn't go well?” Eji guessed.
“You should've heard his father,” Fuji said in answer, sounding disgusted. “The bastard is absolutely disgusting.”
Eiji wasn't really sure he wanted to know but he had to ask, “What did he do?”
“It was more the words he used than anything else. He actually called his own son a `limp-wristed faggot'. Can you believe that?” Fui sounded outraged at the mere thought.
Eiji looked astounded. “He called Tezuka-buchou that?” The thought of Tezuka as one of those limp-wristed stereo-typical gays with the shopping and the lisp was actually mind-boggling. And Eiji had the sudden image of a Tezuka wearing designer clothes, one hand on his hip and the other lying limp in the air.
“Oh, darling, that dress is absolutely fab-u-lous,” the Tezuka in his mind said in a rather stereotypical camp voice, letting his limp hand flop in the other person's direction. It's fierce. You must tell me where you got it.”
The image was sudden and loud. And knowing that this definitely wasn't the time or place or person, Eiji desperately tried not to laugh, not succeeding as a giggle or two escaped his choke-hold and he finally burst into loud laughter, falling all over himself.
“Eiji!” Fuji said, not sounding amused. “This isn't funny.”
“Oh no. No,” Eiji said, trying to get himself back under control. “I just . . . I just got this picture and . . .” unable to finish, he dissolved into laughter again.
“Eiji,” Fuji said again, starting to sound angry, which was bad.
“I'm sorry. I'm sorry,” Eiji apologized, getting himself under control again. “I just . . .” he bit back on another chuckle and only continued when he could make himself sound serious again, “Never mind,” he said seriously, sitting up, “I'm sorry. That's awful. I can't believe his dad actually said that.”
There was a pause as Fuji was deciding if he was still going to be angry. Then Fuji said, “And the worst part is that nobody tried to stop it. They just let the bastard spew insult after insult.” Fuji sounded almost appeased, but Eiji knew that he wouldn't forget this for a long while. Eiji had better start watching out for incriminating photos pasted on the school bulletin boards. Great. Sometimes it was hazardous to be Fuji's best friend. Still, Fuji continued. “And then Kunimitsu actually got angry with me when I tried to stand up for him.”
That didn't sound right. Eiji frowned. “He got angry?”
“Yes,” Fuji confirmed, sounding almost indignant about the fact. “He was actually angry.”
“But . . . Why?” Eiji looked confused. “If you were trying to stand up for him shouldn't he be happy?”
“You'd think so.”
Yeah, you would think so. “Huh,” was all Eiji finally said. The two of them were quiet for a moment, Fuji most likely stewing in his indignation and Eiji trying to think up something to say that would help his friend. It was weird. Eiji normally was the one receiving advice not the one giving it. “Well . . .” Eiji finally said after a long while, finding something to offer, “I guess you could always apologize again.”
“But that's the thing,” Fuji said. “I shouldn't have to apologize.”
“Well you don't always have to understand why you're apologizing,” Eiji said, “Sometimes you just do it because the other person wants you to. Even if you still think that what you did was the right thing.”
“I suppose.” Fuji did sound like he understood which was good. “But what really bothers me is that I had to cancel my plans just so Kunimitsu could get angrier with me.”
And, somewhat grateful to get on a less volatile topic, Eiji sat back against his pillows, switching the phone to his other ear, and asked, “What were you going to do?”
“I can't tell you that,” Fuji said, “But I can tell you that it would have made sure Momo and Echizen were making like rabbits by the time school started again and it promised that Inui and Kaidoh would be back together for good.”
Catching that last part, Eiji looked confused again. Did that mean what he thought it meant? “Inui and Kaidoh broke up?” Why didn't he know about this? Had he really been that distracted the past few days that he hadn't notice something that huge happening?
“They were rather discrete about it, weren't they?” Fuji said, managing to get over enough of his anger to sound almost amused.
“How come you got to know and nobody else did?” Eiji asked with a frown, somewhat insulted that he hadn't been trusted to know.
“Simple. I asked. It wasn't a secret. They just weren't broadcasting it.”
“Oh, okay,” Eiji said easily and smiled again, no longer insulted. “But they're really broken up?” he asked curiously, “I didn't think those two even fought. Their relationship seemed so perfect.”
“Well you know what they say about appearances.”
“True.”
 
 
The next afternoon, Kaidoh was jogging past the park when he decided to take a ten minute break. Finding a good tree to sit under, Kaidoh sat. And as he sat he couldn't help but think. Everything was making him think, so he wasn't exactly surprised by this.
Inui's song yesterday had affected Kaidoh more than he cared to admit. It had been exactly what he wanted to hear.
And, thinking that and finding himself annoyed, Kaidoh sighed deeply and leaned further back against the tree, closing his eyes and attempting to block out his thoughts and just enjoy the peace. But no luck. He still thought.
This singing thing was still bothering him, hounding him, distracting him from his training. He'd thought that once he had broken up with Inui everything would go back to normal, the only thing different being the fact that Inui wasn't there. Especially since he hadn't sang anything since that day. But no luck. It still bothered him just as much, if not more. Especially since Inui had decided he was going to drink the juice and start singing as well.
Why did he have to do that? Couldn't he have just left things alone? Couldn't he make things easy on Kaidoh for once in his life?
Thinking that, Kaidoh opened his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest and scowling off to the side. No. Inui enjoyed making things difficult for him. Just look at his juices and that was all the proof you needed to prove Inui's sadistic tendencies.
Kaidoh did have to admit though that this time it might not totally be Inui's fault. Well, okay, it was his fault—he had been the one to actually make the juice—but Kaidoh doubted Inui had meant it to be this sadistic. The few times that Kaidoh had been able to bear glancing at the older boy, Inui had been looking almost sad. Which hurt to see. Everything about Inui hurt to see. Kaidoh wished everyday that he hadn't had to break up with Inui, but he never regretted it. He knew it had been the best decision.
Well, he had known.
These new songs of Inui's, the ones that told him that Inui still loved him and wanted to try again (which hurt to think about), Kaidoh almost believed them. He wanted to believe them. He knew that the songs sang the truth, but still, maybe Inui only thought he would try better and wouldn't actually do anything different. How could Kaidoh trust him? So far, Inui hadn't done anything to prove that getting back together would be any different than the first time.
Well, okay, it had been somewhat impressive that Inui had bothered to drink the juice at all. Kaidoh couldn't imagine willingly putting yourself through the embarrassment that the juice brought. You had to be either insane or desperate to do that. And Kaidoh wasn't sure which one Inui was. Maybe he was both.
But, still, it had been impressive. That, at the very least, was proof that Inui was willing to try anything to prove to Kaidoh that he was telling the truth. That he really would try better.
So Kaidoh knew that Inui believed he would try better. But Kaidoh just wasn't sure. And if he was sure then he wasn't sure he would take Inui back anyway. It was a pride thing.
But should he really give up a chance for happiness just because of his pride? That seemed somewhat stupid and Kaidoh Kaoru wasn't stupid.
Scowl softening into a contemplative frown, arms still crossed, Kaidoh looked down at his lap. He didn't know what to do. He wished somebody could help him decide, but who would help him? It wasn't like he could just go up to somebody and ask point-blank. That would be weird and uncomfortable. Plus nobody but the Regulars even knew about Inui and his relationship. And, Kaidoh wasn't sure, but he didn't think that even the Regulars knew that the relationship was over. Fuji had been giving him these weird, almost speculative looks, almost like he was planning something, but that was Fuji. When wasn't he planning something?
“Kaidoh!” someone called, “Kaidoh! Hi!” Somewhat confused—because who could it be?—Kaidoh looked up and around his surroundings curiously. A ways down the path that the tree he sat under lined, Eiji was grinning widely and waving a hand wildly in the air. “Hi!” he called again and then seemed to decide to come closer. When he was almost in front of Kaidoh, Eiji crouched down into a squat and grinned at him, asking, “What'cha doing?”
“Hello, Kikumaru-senpai,” Kaidoh said dutifully. “I'm just resting for a moment.”
“You looked like you were in deep thought,” Eiji said, looking just a little too amused, “What'cha thinking about?”
“Nothing, senpai,” Kaidoh said and shook his head, not wanting to be rude but wanting Eiji to leave him alone.
“Oh, come on. It can't be nothing. You looked really serious. Was it about Inui?” Eiji asked that last question with an almost mischievous look on his face.
Hearing this, Kaidoh's eyes widened and he blushed. “Senpai!”
“It was!” Eiji said triumphantly, pointing at his blushing face and grinning. “I knew it!” Abruptly, Eiji sat down, crossing his legs in front of him and leaning in closer to continue in almost a gossiping tone. “I heard you two broke up. Is that true?”
“Senpai! I - I don't think—
“Oh come on,” Eiji said, still grinning widely at him, “You can tell me.”
Kaidoh was so embarrassed. He didn't know what to say and he could feel his face heating up. “I . . . I - Yes?”
“But why?” Eiji demanded to know, looking curious. “You guys were so good together.”
“It just . . . It just wasn't . . .” Kaidoh said haltingly, staring at Eiji with wide eyes, unable to believe he was actually saying it even as he said it, “meant to be,” he finished lamely.
“Was the sex really that bad?” Eiji asked bluntly, looking like he genuinely wanted to know.
Kaidoh choked, staring at Eiji, his eyes going even wider if that was possible. He couldn't believe this was happening. “Senpai!” he finally got out.
“What?” Eiji asked, blinking almost innocently. “It must've been something. And it's not like you guys ever fought or anything.”
At that Kaidoh crossed his arms over his chest again and looked away. He could feel himself still blushing madly, but some control was finally breaking through. “Every couple fights,” he said uncomfortably.
“No, really?” Eiji asked, looking surprised. “You guys fought? About what?”
“Kikumaru-senpai,” Kaidoh began uncomfortably, still looking away, “I really don't think—
“I'm sorry if I'm being nosy but I'm just worried about you, that's all,” Eiji interrupted him to say. “Fuji told me you guys broke up and I was all `What?” and he was all `Yeah' and then I was like `No! Not them!' and Fuji was like `Yeah. Them” and I was all `Why?' And Fuji couldn't answer that so I figured I could ask you `cause I figured you'd know.” Eiji looked at him curiously. “You do know, right?”
“Yeah . . .” Kaidoh said, shifting his weight uncomfortably. “I know.”
“Then what is it?”
Kaidoh warred with himself. This was incredibly nosy of Eiji, almost too nosy, but it also answered Kaidoh's prayers. He had someone older to talk to that could tell him what to do and he didn't have to go search them out. He finally decided to compromise and said something without saying anything at all. “Things just . . . weren't working out.”
“But you still love him, right?” Eiji asked point-blank.
Kaidoh turned back to Eiji, eyes wide. He couldn't believe Eiji would actually ask him that. And he thought the sex question was personal. “Senpai!”
But that seemed to give Eiji his answer and, sitting back, Eiji smiled. “I knew it. You do.” Frowning in consideration, Eiji tapped his chin thoughtfully. “So how do we get you guys back together then?”
Kaidoh scowled. “I don't want to get back together with him.” Ignoring the part of him that said otherwise.
Eiji turned back to him, looking adorably confused. “No? But why not? You love him. And if you love someone you should be together with them. At least if you can, I mean
Uncomfortable, Kaidoh looked down and to the side again as he said, “Things just wouldn't work out.”
“So there would be some difficulties.” Eiji waved that off as nothing, “That's just when you have to fight!” Eiji put a fist in the air with genuine enthusiasm, saying fiercely. “You can't give up! Never surrender!”
Somewhat confused by Eiji's enthusiasm on the topic, Kaidoh simply looked at him. His senpai were weird.
Eiji turned back to him, still hyped up. “You don't want to give up without at least trying, do you?”
Frowning, Kaidoh shook his head. “I already tried. It didn't work.”
“So?” Eiji asked as though this meant nothing. “Why don't you try again? You have to at least give it one more chance. You guys were so good together.”
It obviously showed on Kaidoh's face that he was still hesitant to do anything. And that, of course, was when the music, a slow piano melody, began to play in their ears.
Shit, Kaidoh thought, his eyes growing wider as he looked around for the source he knew he wouldn't find.
“Kaidoh.” Eiji seemed to all of a sudden get very gentle and he smiled softly, reaching out to put a hand on Kaidoh's shoulder. Kaidoh just looked at him, somewhat thankful that it seemed like Eiji would be the one to start singing and not him.
I know there's something in the wake of your smile,” Eiji began softly and slowly, I get a notion from the look in your eyeees. Ye-ah. You built a love but that love falls apart. A little piece of heaven turns to daaaaark.” Still smiling that almost freaky gentle smile, Ejii pointed at Kaidoh's chest, “Listen to your heeeart when he's calling for you. Listen to your heeeart. There's nothing else you can do. I don't know where you're going and I don't know why, but listen to your heart befooore you tell him good-byyyyyyye.”
Starting to blush, unable to believe his senpai was actually singing something this mushy to him, Kaidoh looked frantically up and down the path, making sure nobody was around. Thankfully, it was a quiet day for the park and nobody was there. Still . . . that didn't mean that nobody would come. Kaidoh turned back to his senpai, who was still smiling softly and gently and looking at him with a kind look in his eyes. It was weird.
Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile,” Eiji sang softly and slowly, removing the hand from Kaidoh's shoulder. “The precious moments are all lost in the tide. Ye-ah. They're swept away and nothing is what it seems. The feeling of belonging to your dreeeeeeee-eeee-ee-ee-eeeams. Listen to your heart when he's calling for you,” pointing at his chest again, Listen to your heart. There's nothing else you can do. I don't know where you're going and I don't know why, but listen to your heart befoooore you tell him good-byyyyyyye.”
Still nervous that someone was going to come see Eiji singing, Kaidoh stared at his senpai in worry, but still listened to the song. Listen to his heart? What kind of cheesy advice was that?
And there are voices that want to be heeee-eee-eee-eeard,” Eiji sang, getting louder. “So much to mention but you can't find the woo-oooo-ooords. The scent of magic, the beauty that's beeeen, when love was wilder than the wii-iiind,” Looking back at Kaidoh, Eiji pointed at his chest one more time. Listen to your heart when he's calling for you. Listen to your heee-aart. There's nothing else you can do. I don't know where you're going and I don't know why, but listen to your heart before you tell him good-byyyyyyyyyye. Listen to your hee-aart. Mmmm-mmm. Settling back in his seat, Eiji smiled, I don't know where you're goooing and I don't know why, but listen to your heeaaart befooooore the music paused and slowed even further you tell him good-byyyy-yyye.”(1)
There was a pause as Eiji came out of the song. Looking somewhat embarrassed, he looked around to make sure he didn't have an audience this time, then turned back to Kaidoh and smiled almost self-consciously. “Sorry.
Still staring at him, more than weirded out by the gentleness from his normally hyper senpai, Kaidoh could only say, “It's okay.”
“But at least this time it I sang good advice,” Eiji said happily, determined to find a positive for bursting out into song in the middle of the park.
“`Listen to your heart'?” Kaidoh quoted, looking confused. “How is that good advice?”
“Well, it's what you should do, isn't it? I mean, only you can really tell if you love Inui enough to try to fight for it.” Sitting back, Eiji shrugged. “It's really all about wanting to.”
Wanting to? Kaidoh looked down, letting that thought run through his mind.
“And I guess I should probably stop bugging you before I get even cheesier,” Eiji said, smiling again as he pushed himself up onto his feet. “I'll see you tomorrow, okay?” Eiji said, waving back at him as he left.
Kaidoh was still stuck on what Eiji had said. Listen to his heart? How did a person listen to their heart exactly?
Still . . . He guessed he could try it.
 
 
Ryoma frowned, looking around the empty tennis courts. He had called Momo earlier, telling the older boy to come meet him at the street tennis courts, but Momo was nowhere to be seen. Idiot.
“Echizen!” someone called and Ryoma turned to find Momo running up to him. The older boy stopping when he was in front of Ryoma and bent down, panting for breath, hands on his knees.
At this, Ryoma raised a brow and smirked, but before he could open his mouth and say anything, Momo looked up with a glare. “Don't,” Momo said between fighting to regain his breath. “Don't say a word.”
Somewhat amused, Ryoma's smirk widened. “I wasn't going to say anything.”
Momo didn't dignify that with a response, just glaring at him. Until finally, with a final deep breath, Momo was ready. “Okay. I'm ready.” Momo stood up straight, nodding his head at Ryoma. “But first,” he said, holding up a hand and then narrowing his eyes at Ryoma in concern. “Are you okay?”
Ryoma gave him a look as though he were stupid to ask. “Of course. Why wouldn't I be?”
Momo looked like he didn't want to remind Ryoma of a traumatic event, saying carefully, “Well, you kinda ran off yesterday looking kind of freaked.”
“I'm fine.”
“Okay, good,” Momo said, nodding again before looking at Ryoma curiously. “But then why'd you run off like that? I didn't follow yesterday `cause I figured you'd want some space but now I'm curious.”
“Then stay curious,” Ryoma said blandly. He wasn't going to tell Momo anything when even he didn't know himself. Why had he run off like that?
Momo looked disappointed. “Oh come on, man. Give me a break.”
Ryoma crossed his arms over his chest and gave Momo a narrow look. “That isn't why I asked you to come out here.”
“I know,” Momo said, suddenly looking very serious. “Did you decide?” he asked then shot Ryoma an uncertain look. “That is why you dragged me out here, right?”
Ryoma nodded.
“And?” Momo asked, looking nervous.
Putting his hands behind his back, Ryoma rocked back and forth on his heels and looked up at the sky to hide his smirk, purposely dragging out the moment to make Momo sweat.
“Well?” Momo asked, starting to sound impatient.
Another few moments of dragging out the tension as Ryoma rocked on his feet and looked off to the side to hide a smirk, hands behind his back.
“Echizen, come on. Stop torturing me already. I know you're doing it on purpose”
Ryoma finally turned back to Momo and, managing to sound bored with the whole thing, shrugged and said, “Okay.”
There was a pause before Momo blinked. “What? That's it?”
Ryoma looked at him like he was an idiot. “Do you want more?”
“No!” Momo cried. “I just . . . with the way you kept dragging things out I just thought it would be a little harder than that.”
“Well, it's not.”
“Okay. Good.”
For a moment Momo and Ryoma just stood there and blinked at each other. Finally Ryoma had to ask, “So what do we do now?”
Momo blinked again, looking at a loss. “I don't know. I honestly never thought you'd say okay.”
“Oh.” There was another pause, the two just looking at each other, until finally Ryoma asked, “Then do you want to play tennis?”
Not having a better idea, Momo shrugged, now glad he had decided to bring his tennis bag. “Sure. Why the hell not?”
 
 
Later, after Ryoma had beaten Momo 5-1 on the tennis courts, they were walking home, ripping at each other good-naturedly.
Ryoma looked back at his now-boyfriend and smirked. “Momo-senpai just has no stamina.”
Momo frowned and glared at the younger boy. “I'll show you stamina. I'll show you stamina all night long.” Then, actually hearing what he had just said, Momo abruptly blushed and put a hand over his mouth, unable to believe he had honestly just said that.
Thank God Ryoma was as dense as he was and obviously didn't know what he meant. “What does that even mean?” Ryoma asked, narrowing his eyes and looking at Momo in disdainful confusion. “Momo-senpai doesn't make sense.”
Still embarrassed—Because honestly. How could he have said that?—Momo said nothing, carefully looking away and up at the night sky. “It's pretty tonight,” he said as a way to get off the subject.
Ryoma snorted and shook his head, seeing it for what it was. A distraction.
Finally they got to Ryoma's house and they stood on the doorstep, looking at each other awkwardly. This was it. They'd been acting basically the same the whole night, not doing anything to confirm their new status as boyfriends, so if anything was going to change it would probably be now. And Momo would probably have to make the first move as Ryoma was just looking up at him curiously.
“So . . .” Momo began and rocked on his feet, looking away uncomfortably.
“I'm home,” Ryoma said, watching Momo curiously, wondering why Momo was still there. What was he waiting for?
“Yeah,” Momo said, scratching the back of his head nervously. There was a moment of silence, Momo busy staring at the ground, but then Momo turned back to Ryoma, suddenly serious. “Hey, Echizen.”
Confused by the sudden seriousness, Ryoma blinked. “Yeah?”
“You . . .” Momo looked down at his feet before glancing back up at Ryoma nervously. “You really meant it?”
Ryoma blinked again, wondering which part Momo meant. “That I love you?”
At this, Momo's head shot up, eyes wide. “You love—he cut himself off before he even got started, saying, “You mean— You never— Momo's grin got so wide it must've hurt his face and he was finally able to spit out., “You love me?”
Ryoma shrugged and looked away, uncomfortable with how happy that had made Momo. “Maybe.”
Momo grin, if anything, got bigger. “I'll take that as a yes.”
Ryoma looked up to give the older boy a mild glare. “Don't let it get to your head.”
“Who? Me?” Momo asked almost innocently, unable to lose the grin. “I'd never.”
Ryoma wasn't impressed and he looked it. “I mean it.”
Momo ignored him, too happy to care. “No. No. This is great,” Momo said excitedly. “I mean, I never thought— Oh this is so cool.” Not even thinking about it, too hyped up to care, he grabbed Ryoma and pulled him into a tight hug, nearly lifting him off his feet.
“Momo-senpai!” Ryoma protested, struggling in his hold.
Grinning, Momo pulled back but still kept Ryoma in his arms. “Don't you see? This is great!” he repeated.
“That doesn't mean you can attack me,” Ryoma grumbled, but was otherwise okay where he was. It was actually kind of nice, but he wouldn't admit to it.
Momo just smiled at his complaints. “You really have no idea how great this is. It feels like I've been in love with you for forever.”
Somewhat embarrassed with the declaration, Ryoma ducked his head. A few seconds passed before, daring to move closer, Ryoma hesitantly brought his hands up to wrap around Momo's waist in return and rested his head against Momo's chest. Momo's arms tightened around him in response. And there was silence for a moment, the two just enjoying the moment.
In the background Ryoma thought he could hear soft music beginning to play and he would've been embarrassed and pulled away but he found he couldn't move.
“Do you hear that?” Ryoma asked instead, face still buried in Momo's chest.
Looking down at him, Momo's smile had turned into something gentle. Not responding, Momo instead began to sing. “Never knew I could feel like this, he sang softly and slowly, like I've never seen the sky before.” He pulled away from Ryoma just enough that he could see his face. “Want to furnish inside your kiss. Everyday I love you more and more. Listen to my heeeeeeart,” Grabbing Ryoma hands from around his waist, Momo pulled them over his heart, “can't you heeeeeear it sing? Telling me to giiiiive you everythiiiiiing. Seasons may change winter to spring, he paused, making sure Ryoma was paying attention, but I love you,” another pause as he slowed down, until the end of time. Taking Ryoma's hands again, he held them in front of him and looked into Ryoma's eyes, singing louder, Come what maaaaaaaay, cooooome what maaaaaaaaaay. I will love you until my dyyyyyy-yyy-yyying daaaaaaaaaaaay. Singing that last long note, Momo quieted and just looked at Ryoma, who was taking his turn to sing.
“Suddenly the world seems such a peeeerfect place,” Ryoma sang, looking up at Momo, Suddenly it moves with such a peeeerfect grace.”
Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waa-aaste,” they sang together.
Ryoma picked up the song again and sang alone, “It all revolves around you.”
And there's no mountain too hi-igh, they sang together again. no riiiiiver too wiiiide. Sing out this song and I'll be theeeeere by your si-ide. Storm clouds may gatheeer and storms may collide.” They paused for a moment then Momo started again.
But I love you,” Momo sang.
I love you,” Ryoma sang in reply.
“Until the end,” Momo sang.
Until the end,” Ryoma sang alone, but then joined together with Momo again to sing, of time. They took a breath and then sang louder, music reaching a climax. Coooome one daaaaaay. Cooome what maaaaaay. I will love yoooou until my dyyyyying daaaay. Oh coooome what maaaaaaay, coo-oooome what maa-aa-aaa-aaay, I will looooooooooooooooove you.”
I will love you,” Ryoma sang, voice getting quieter as the music slowed, and then he continued, Suddenly the world seems such a peeeerfect place.”
The music picked up again and they sang together. Come what maaaaaay. Come what maaaaaay. I will love yoooou until my dyyyyyyyyyying daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.”(2)
Coming out of the song Ryoma looked somewhat embarrassed but didn't move out of Momo's arms until he heard the cry from the house.
“Seishounen!” his dad called, the only warning before the door suddenly opened wide and Nanjiroh grinned down at them. “Are you singing again?”
Ryoma quickly stepped back out of Momo's arms, hoping his dad hadn't seen, and glared. “No.”
“No, no, I know I heard singing.”
“You must be going senile,” Ryoma growled, embarrassed, and moved to push past his dad. Looking back at Momo on the step, Ryoma paused then said with somewhat of a half-smile, “I'll see you tomorrow, Momo-senpai.”
“Sure!” Momo grinned and waved once as Ryoma disappeared into the house before turning and getting on his way, more than happy with how things had gone.
 
 
The next day at school, Kaidoh entered the building with a decision made. Now the only thing he had to do was corner Inui in a private place and tell him the news. Kaidoh didn't think he was too late. Inui still wanted to get back together with him, didn't he?
“Inui-senpai.”
Interrupted in the process of changing into his practice clothes, Inui turned to blink somewhat startled eyes at Kaidoh. He hadn't anticipated that Kaidoh would ever talk to him outside of tennis again. “Kaidoh?”
“I want to talk to you later,” Kaidoh said seriously. “At lunch. Meet me in classroom 2B.”
This could not be good, Inui thought with a frown but still nodded and said, “Very well.”
And Kaidoh nodded and went back to changing his clothes.
Later, in classroom 2B, Kaidoh crossed his arms over his chest and waited for Inui to arrive. Finally Inui came through the door.
“So what did you wish to speak to me about?” Inui asked.
Kaidoh said nothing, just watching him carefully. Was he sure about this? Was this his final answer? He couldn't go back and change his mind once he had spoken.
“Kaidoh?” Inui asked, looking at him in concern, wondering why he hadn't spoken.
“You say you would do better,” Kaidoh started.
“And I would,' Inui said seriously, apparently understanding what Kaidoh meant.
Kaidoh just looked at Inui, expression not changing as he asked, “Then do you want to try?”
There was a pause as Inui let that run through his mind. Was Kaidoh saying what Inui thought he was saying? No. He just wanted Kaidoh to be saying that.
When Inui didn't react, Kaidoh, a little less confident, continued, “If you still want to, I'm willing to try again.”
So Kaidoh was saying what Inui thought he was saying. Inui almost dared to hope. But he had to make sure. The chance of this happening was only a mere 23 percent, after all. “Are you certain?”
His expression serious, Kaidoh nodded. “But things would change,” he warned.
Inui felt himself beginning to smile. “That is perfectly acceptable.”
Kaidoh hissed and looked down to cover a smile, not so unaffected by the happiness beginning to invade the room. Now, hopefully he had made the right choice.
Of course, just to ruin the happy moment, music then had to begin to play. Kaidoh hissed again, this time in irritation, and looked around. It was a happy beat and they were alone, but that didn't make things any better.
“I got chiiiiiills,” Inui sang suddenly with an exaggerated shudder, Their multiplying and I'm looooooosing contro-ool. `Cause the pow-er you're supplying—it's electrifying.”
You better shape up,” Kaidoh sang, feeling the juice begin to take over his body and narrowing his eyes at Inui, `cause I need a maaan and my heart is set on yoo-ou.
“And my heart is set on you,” sang nobody. The voices were back again.
You better shape up,” Kaidoh continued, You better understaa-a-aaand. To my heart I must be truuuue,” he sang, putting his hand to his heart.
Nothing left,” Inui sang, nothing left for me to do.
You're the one that I want,” they sang together, beginning to circle each other in the small classroom.
“The one that I want,” the voices sang.
Oh-oh-oh honey,” they continued, The one that I want.”
The one that I want,” the voices sang.
Oh-oh-oh honey,” Inui and Kaidoh sang again, The one that I want.
The one that I want,” the voices came again.
Oh-oh-oh. The one I neeeeeed.
“The one I need.”
Oh yes, indeee-eeed.
If you feeeeel a weird affection,” Kaidoh sang, getting closer with an almost predatory look in his eye, you're too shyyyyyy to conve-ey. Meditaaaate in my direction. He curled his finger at Inui invitingly, Feel your way.
I better shape up, Inui sang, suddenly upbeat, `cause you need a man.
I need a man,” Kaidoh agreed, who can keep me satisfiii-iied.
I better shape u-up,” Inui continued, if I'm gonna prove.”
You better pro-ove,” Kaidoh sang, that my faith is justified.
“Are you sure?” Inui asked, turning to Kaidoh and then continued with Kaidoh's help, “Yes I'm sure down deep inside. You're the one that I want.”
“The one that I want,” the voices sang.
Oh-oh-oh honey,” Inui and Kaidoh sang together, The one that I want.”
The one that I want,” the voices sang.
“Oh-oh-oh honey,” they sang together again, The one that I want.
The one that I want,” came the voices.
Oh-oh-oh,” they sang, The one I need.
“The one I need.”
Oh yes indee-eed.
Inui and Kaidoh had circled in closer and grabbed each other's hands and began to dance around the room. You're the one that I want.”
“The one that I want,” the voices sang.
Oh-oh-oh honey,” Inui and Kaidoh sang, The one that I want.”
The one that I want,” the voices sang.
Oh-oh-oh honey,” they sang together, The one that I want.
The one that I want.”
“Oh-oh-oh,” they sang, The one I neeeeed.
“The one I need.”
Oh yes indeee-eed.(3)
And they continued along that vein for some time. Kaidoh was beginning to think that they were stuck when they finally stopped.
Bright red, Kaidoh hurriedly dropped Inui's hands, stepping back one large step, and hissed.
“Well,” Inui said as he adjusted his glasses on his nose, a little embarrassed himself. He had been dancing. He never danced. He just wasn't coordinated enough and had never cared to learn.
Kaidoh glared at him. “Let's never talk about that again.”
“Agreed.”
“Listen to Your Heart” by DHT
“Come What May” from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack
“You Better Shape Up” from the musical Grease