Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet 16 ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine. Got nothing.
A/N: great thanks for my beta roninlvr. It wouldn't be this good without her hard work. Posted first on my LJ account where you could find my other fics. It's originally for Fuji's birthday. Hope you like it. Don't forget to review.
Sweet 16
Fuji sighed heavily as he tied his shoelace. He ignored the weird looks he got from his teammates and continued to gather his stuff. He had been the recipient of such looks these past few months anyway, so he had gotten used to it. He must admit, though that today he had gotten that look more often than usual. If Inui were there he would point out that Fuji had received 46.59 % of stares more than usual.
Of course, he wouldn't have to get used to it if it were not for the fact that his dearest boyfriend, the great Tezuka Kunimitsu, had been neglecting him, not that he wasn't used to not getting much attention from the bespectacled boys. After all, he had had two years of pining over Tezuka and watching him from afar before they got together. But this was beyond those two years of mental and sexual frustration; this was a case where his boyfriend had been neglecting him for a whole year.
Yes, Fuji thought as he frowned and gritted his teeth, drawing frightened looks from his teammates, his gorgeous bastard of a boyfriend had evaded him for a whole year. It all started when they entered high school. It was understandable at first and Fuji didn't really mind. They were adapting to their new school, making new friends, joining new clubs. The fact that their relationship took a backseat was not very surprising. Fuji was well attuned to the fact that education was the second thing Tezuka took seriously after tennis (or third when Fuji was kissing him ravenously while sitting on his lap). But when weeks passed and their relationship had not improved, Fuji realized something was not right. The sleepover lessened from three times a week to once a week to twice a month to nothing. The word date was erased from their vocabulary, making the only time that they could meet during tennis practice, when Tezuka was in his tennis zombie mode. Moreover, Tezuka got angry every time Fuji managed to corner him to have a quickie in the preparation room.
But this was the last straw. Tezuka would NOT neglect him on his birthday. He could get away with a nod or a phone call any other day, but not today. Today, Fuji demanded to have Tezuka's full attention and he would get it. It was his birthday, a birthday that came once every four years, to be precise. He would be selfish this time and lock Tezuka in a room with him if that's what it took to be the sole centre of Tezuka's attention.
Fuji smiled at their captain as he bade goodbye to his teammates and carried his tennis bag. Yamato, who was once again their captain, smiled in understanding and nodded to him but Fuji ignored him and left the clubhouse. There was no need to linger when there wasn't any Tezuka to ogle since he had left earlier. Yes, despite the fact that practice ended early that day, Tezuka had left the clubhouse even earlier than the others. He might be lucky enough to get away this time, but Fuji wouldn't let him get away again.
He was devising a plan to abduct Tezuka and have him for the weekend, ignoring the red that entered his vision, when a sudden loud pop distracted him. “What…” Fuji faltered and took a half step back. The next thing Fuji new, he was covered with confetti. Red heart shaped confetti. He was still recovering from shock when something white and yellow fell in front of him, swaying in the cold late winter air. His quick reflexes allowed him to catch it. It was a card with a yellow rose taped on it. He frowned, wondering who it was from. His curiosity was replaced by delight, though, when he saw what was written on the card.
Here's a rose for the bait
The first of the surprises await
Somewhere, there are plenty more
Hidden, for you to look for
“Who's it from?” Fuji wondered. It wasn't the first poem he had ever received. He had recovered plenty during junior high and even now during high school. Usually it ended with a meeting behind the school building with a blushing girl or boy. Neither of the letters or poem he had ever received before came with confetti, though. Somehow Fuji had a feeling that this is from someone he knew, someone close to him and comfortable enough to send him such an extravagant message without being worried that he might torture him/her later. That left Atobe out of the equation. He was sure he had made Atobe learnt his lesson when he made the diva drink Inui's Super Duper Evil Villain Juice before.
The balloon that contained the confetti and carried the card came from the bushes. The person who blew it while he was passing must have hidden there. Fuji decided to inspect the place for clues. But the perpetrator was very careful and left no trace about his previous presence there. Well, almost no trace anyway. Apparently he left another card and a pink rose.
Fuji read the card aloud, not worrying that people might hear because the school grounds were empty at this hour. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he read. He was positive that this was from someone he was really close to.
“A slight hint for the birthday boy
Regarding the trail to the event of joy
Think of places important to your heart
With luck you'll find where they're leading, fast”
Now, who would know about the places important to his heart other than his family, friends, and Tezuka? He doubted his family and friends would go through all this trouble just to wish him a happy birthday though. Someone must be behind this, someone who was extremely guilty for neglecting him for a year.
“Kunimitsu, you fool,” he said with a fond smile. He considered calling Tezuka and confronting him about this but decided against it. He would play along and see what Tezuka was trying to do.
Fuji wondered where to start. Where's the place important to his heart? He turned to the card for a clue. After a brief moment of observation, he realized that it gave unexpected hints. Unlike the previous one, it was blue with white lines on the sides. The card reminded Fuji of one place. Seigaku.
Leaving the dark mood he was in earlier, Fuji skipped to Seigaku after carefully storing the cards and roses in his bag. In his mind, he had a plan to tease Inui for shooting an arrow at him. Who else could predict the wind and Fuji's movement with such precision that he could blow a balloon right above Fuji's head?
Seigaku was deserted when he arrived. Fuji would have thought that he had come to the wrong place if it were not for the box lying in the middle of the entrance gate. He picked it up and realized that it was the music box he had wanted to buy when he passed an antique shop with Tezuka a couple of weeks ago. It was made of wood with beautiful carvings of flowers on it and it looked expensive. At the time Fuji could only listen to the classical song that played when the lid was open. He couldn't bring himself to ask Tezuka to buy it for him and didn't think Tezuka even remembered how long he had spent staring at it. He smiled widely as he read the card which was placed on top of the box.
“Do you remember the place where we've begun
Where you said the words fitting the romantic setting
It was then that my heart you completely won
When you gave it what it had been craving”
Of course Fuji remembered the place where they began. It was a park not far from there. It was an unplanned confession. They decided to go there (it was on a whim actually) while Tezuka was walking him home. The sun was setting, casting its fiery light on them and the flowers were blooming around them. Fuji couldn't resist holding Tezuka's hand.
“Daisuki.” He had said quietly, looking straight into Tezuka's cool hazel eyes.
Even if Tezuka had rejected him, he would have no regrets. It was still a confession to remember (June 7th, 5:49:38 p.m.). The fact that Tezuka smiled and pulled him into his warm embrace only made it more memorable. He hadn't been sure if that day meant as much to Tezuka as it did to him but now he knew better.
Fuji went to the park with a wide smile on his face. He wondered what his lover had in store for him there. Another poem? Another rose? A present? Or the party itself? Tezuka wasn't the kind of person to draw something out. He might have prepared the party there.
When he got to the park, however, there was no one. That eliminated the possibility of a party. For someone who told him to not draw things out, Tezuka seemed to be keen on making him wait this time. Sighing with a hint of disappointment, Fuji went to the swings, thinking that perhaps Tezuka had indeed forgotten that this was where they had started. Whenever they went there for an unofficial date, they had always sat there to talk. They might not have visited this park for a while, but the memories they shared were still fresh in Fuji's mind.
Fuji sat on the swings for a while, enjoying the late winter winds and his sweet memories with his lover. He closed his eyes and raised his face to the sky. Once again he thanked the gods for giving him a chance to be with Tezuka. He might not be the kind of lover often portrayed in romance novels but Tezuka had his own quiet charm, a charm that ensnared Fuji the first time he saw him. Through him, Fuji had learned to see the world differently. He could only hope that he had as much impact in Tezuka's life as Tezuka did in his.
Fuji sighed again and wracked his brain for other places Tezuka might have meant. When he opened his eyes, something caught his attention. A piece of paper was rolled over the bar on top of the swings, tied with a red bow. Realizing what it was, Fuji immediately took it. When he unfurled the paper, a light weight fell onto his palm. It was a coffee bean, he realized. He wondered what that meant but didn't give it much thought. He was too eager to read the letter to wait.
I don't know what you see in me
But I know what I see in you
I see future in perfect clarity
Dreams I thought would not come true
And even if those never come to be
I'm glad that I still have you
Fuji didn't know Tezuka thought so highly of him. What kind of dreams could he represent? Could it be that Tezuka also wanted the kind of future that Fuji wished? Would Tezuka spend the rest of his life with Fuji? Would Tezuka grow old with him? Would Tezuka stay with him through everything life threw at them? Would Tezuka stay even though life didn't allow them happiness? Fuji had never mentioned the future to Tezuka. He wasn't ready for the disappointment he might experience. But now that he read the poem he realized that perhaps he was worrying over nothing. Perhaps, Tezuka wants him to stay with him forever.
Happy tears stung Fuji eyes so he closed them. To regain control over his emotions, he decided to distract himself by decoding the coffee bean that came with the letter. He doubted it got there by accident. Why would Tezuka accidentally bring a coffee bean with him anyway? It must be there to give him hint about where he should be going next.
“Coffee bean… I wonder what that meant…” Fuji said quietly, tapping his chin thoughtfully. Did Tezuka want him to buy coffee? Surely the former captain didn't go through all the trouble just to have him buy groceries. What else could it mean then? “Coffee… Is it that coffee shop?”
There was this one café they often visited. It was a quiet café that served delicious coffee. Tezuka had once mentioned that he liked that place. Fuji couldn't argue with him then, after all the café did serve one specialty coffee that was mixed with a certain exotic spice that he was fond of.
The café was rather far from the park unfortunately. It was located near a shopping district. Tezuka wouldn't have come near that café if not for the fact that it's near a sport gear shop. The café fitted Tezuka well, too. It had a private atmosphere and had a small library where the customers could borrow a book to read as they enjoyed their coffee. Tezuka's favorite history books could be found there just as Fuji's favorite foreign literature books. Even though the café was decorated with Western style, Tezuka couldn't resist visiting it many times over.
The waitress there was familiar with Fuji already because he was a frequent customer of the café. The girl, Mihono, often asked him about his `good looking friend' whenever he came there alone. Apparently, she had developed a crush on Tezuka. She was oblivious to the looks Fuji and Tezuka shared whenever they visited the café together. Even when she caught them holding hands, she didn't get suspicious. Fuji couldn't bring himself to tell the innocent girl that he and Tezuka were in fact lovers so he always replied her questions politely despite his slight discomfort and jealousy.
“Welcome, Fuji-san!” She greeted Fuji when he entered the café. “Let me show you your seat.”
Fuji raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything and just followed her. It was unusual for Mihono to not ask about Tezuka the moment she saw him alone. Fuji wasn't about to complain though. He felt uncomfortable every time he told her about Tezuka. He was his boyfriend after all.
She left only briefly after she took Fuji to his seat at the corner of the shop. She returned shortly with Fuji's usual order, the spiced coffee, even though Fuji hadn't given his order yet. He smiled at her when she placed the cup on the table, nonetheless. He was surprised when she placed something else on the table. It was a plate containing another card. Fuji looked at her in surprise.
“It's from Tezuka-san,” she said with a cheeky wink.
“Ah, arigatou.” Fuji said with a hesitant smile, unsure whether to sound embarrassed by her revelation or delighted by the card.
The girl left Fuji alone with a giggle. Fuji waited until she was out of earshot before reading the card. He didn't rush this time, though. If Tezuka treated him to coffee it meant that he still had time to enjoy the moment. As he drank his coffee, he started to read the poem written on the card. The smile on his face grew wider and wider as he read the poem over and over again.
You'd think I forget
The day that took so long to set
I was frightened then, I must admit
That you'd think you and I would not fit
But then your kisses eased my worry
And the night stays in my memory
Now we've come such a long way
Thank you for letting me stay
Well, Fuji did think Tezuka had forgotten. Their first date took place here, in this very café. Tezuka had planned it carefully (too carefully) then. Fuji suspected he had asked for advice from both Inui and Oishi about the date. The way Tezuka had specifically ordered their drinks and snack was clearly Inui's signature. But the way he had shyly pushed a pot of blooming cacti into Fuji's hand as he picked him up at his house was clearly Oishi's touch. Inui would've advised Tezuka to bring him a glass of his concoction.
“For you,” Tezuka had said, shoving the pot into Fuji's hands.
“Thank you but what's the occasion?” Fuji had asked looking up and down at Tezuka's formal appearance. The stoic boy had worn a white button down shirt and a dark blue trousers, his appearance far too formal for what he had called `shopping for tennis gear' (they ended up just buying one grip tape that Fuji knew had occupied a good portion of the corner of Tezuka's locker then).
A blush. “You'll see.” Tezuka had promised.
Fuji chuckled slightly as he recalled that day. It was undoubtedly one of his fondest memories since it wasn't everyday that one got to see a flustered Tezuka. He started to devise tricks to see the flustered look on Tezuka's face again and couldn't wait to test them during the party Tezuka had prepared for him. Surely showing a timid side of Tezuka in public was a small retribution for neglecting him. Once Fuji finished his coffee, he went to the cashier but Mihono refused the payment. “It's been paid, Fuji-san,” she said with a wink and a knowing smile. “And here's a bonus for you.”
Fuji took the second card with a wide smile. “Arigatou.” He paused, fighting the urge to read the card then and there. He knew that Tezuka would not appreciate public shows of their relationship though his actions today clearly went against that. “You don't happen to know where I should go next, do you?”
“Well… Tezuka-san did say you should just walk down the road.”
“Ah, thank you again, Mihono-san.” Fuji bowed once before leaving the café.
“Come again next time with Tezuka-san!” Mihono called out behind him. “Ganbatte!”
Fuji left the café with red ears and a happy smile. He looked at the road ahead of him. “Saa… let's see what you're up to, ne, Tezuka.”
As he walked, he read the card. This side of the town wasn't very crowded. Fuji wasn't worried about bumping into anyone as he walked while reading the card. He only hoped that he wouldn't miss the cards that Tezuka probably put somewhere on this very road.
I didn't believe in magic
Not even in what people call miracle
For me it was but a mere trick
From people who knows only to babble
Then you came when I didn't seek
And quickly on me you turn the table
Now how could I think that dreaming is weak
When you make our love possible
Fuji had also thought that they were impossible. Not only were they were both male, but they were also complete opposites. Their friendship was already against all odds, and to even think of the two of them as lovers was almost impossible. He remembered his sister's response when he told her. She almost choked on her apple pie then. It wasn't the fact that Fuji went out with another male that surprised her; she claimed to have read it in her tarot cards since Fuji was ten. It was the fact that the smiling Fuji went out with the expressionless Tezuka. Fuji considered informing her that Tezuka did, in fact show some expression, especially when Fuji kissed that special spot behind his ear but changed his mind because he'd rather keep that information to himself.
But speaking of information, he really needed some right now. The next card could be anywhere. If Tezuka would put one in the café, he could possibly put another in one of the stores here. Should he check on each and every one of them? Or had he missed an important clue from the previous card? Fuji ran his mind through the words from the latest card that he received. No matter how he tried, he couldn't think of any hidden meaning in it. How should he progress from here then?
Fuji stopped walking and frowned. Mihono told him to just walk down the raod and the card didn't imply anything. It meant that the next cards should be in obvious places. But where?
Fuji looked around him, hoping to see something. He realized that subconsciously he had stopped in front of a camera store. He usually printed his photographs there and he often stopped by just to see the latest gadgets displayed there. The owner, Saito-san was kind enough to display some of his customers' photographs there. Being the talented photographer that he was, Fuji's own work had adorned the store's window numerous times. Saito-san had even offered to introduce him to some big companies. Fuji had always declined because he preferred to enjoy photography as a hobby instead of as an occupation, for now.
Fuji walked closer to the glass window, hoping to see a new camera or other photography applicants but instead he was greeted by a surprising picture. Illuminated by warm yellow light inside the glass window was a picture taken when he and Tezuka were still in their first year of junior high. In the picture he and Tezuka were having lunch with Eiji, Oishi, Taka-san and Inui. What made the picture special was the fact that in that picture Tezuka was smiling slightly as Fuji leaned close to his side and casually draped an arm over his shoulder. It was the first picture that captured their intimacy both physically and emotionally. Fuji knew that Tezuka wouldn't have smiled if it were someone else who sat so close to him and draped an arm over his shoulder like that. Fuji was different, special to Tezuka. It was this picture that kept alive Fuji's hope of achieving Tezuka's heart.
Fuji went into the store where the owner seemed to have expected his arrival. He smiled warmly as he greeted his favorite customer. “Konbanwa, Fuji-kun.”
“Ano… that picture…” Fuji faltered, unsure how to start. How would the owner react when he realized that Fuji was involved in a romantic relationship with the person who asked him to put up the picture?
“Oh, yes. A special friend of yours asked me to put it. He also asked me to give you this if you asked about the picture.” The older man said with a wink. “He's a fine young man, Fuji-kun. You're lucky.”
“Ano…”
The man smiled in understanding. “It's pretty obvious, I think. The way he looks at you, the way you two talk, and especially the fact that you take so many pictures of him.” He paused, and Fuji could read some kind of longing in his eyes as he stared briefly into space. “He loves you, I can tell. And you love him, too.”
“I do.” Fuji said with a smile. “I'd better not make him wait too long. Thank you.” Fuji took the card and bowed gratefully before taking his leave.
Outside the shop, Fuji paused to think of Saito-san's reaction. He knew that Saito-san wasn't married. The lack of a ring on his finger implied that. Fuji wondered if he was waiting for someone. He was familiar with that longing look. He had had it on his face before he and Tezuka got together with. That look hadn't crossed his face again since he started his relationship with Tezuka. He had been content ever since and the longing turned into appreciation and worship. Truly, he felt lucky ever since he became Tezuka's lover.
A moment captured for eternity
A reminder of how we come to be
Should my memory cease to serve me
It shall remind me of how I love thee
After reading the poem, Fuji hastened his steps while silently hoping the best of luck for Saito-san. His desire to meet Tezuka was almost quenchless. He wanted to call him and tell him how much this meant for him, how much he loved him, but he didn't want to ruin Tezuka's plan so he had to play along for now. He promised himself that he would make sure to thank Tezuka properly. He felt like he had never told Tezuka about his feelings. Tezuka had gone through the trouble of writing poems and placing them in meaningful places. What had Fuji done to make him feel as special as he felt right now?
It turned out that the next card wasn't that far away. It was dangling on a tree decorated by red bows, colorful lamps and several kinds of flowers. It easily captured his attention due to its extravagance. The card was held by a hook that was in turn tied onto a branch. Eagerly, Fuji grabbed the card and read the message.
A moment of peace
A moment of privacy
Is it selfishness, my love
If I ask you just for me?
No doubt this one referred to the fishing trips they occasionally had when their busy schedules allowed for it. They marked the rare moments when they could be with each other for a while. During these trips, it felt like they were the only ones in the world. They didn't have to worry about other people; they were the only ones who mattered. No, Tezuka wasn't the only one who was selfish. Fuji also wanted more of these trips but knew that it was impossible with the numbers of activities they were both engaged in. He must content himself by sharing Tezuka with others most of the time. He had thought it would make him selfish if he asked Tezuka to ignore his duties and went on fishing trips with him. Apparently, though, Tezuka also desired the same thing as he did.
It made Fuji think that they both might have made a mistake. They weren't their priority. Something else always came first. They didn't make nearly enough effort to just sit down and talk about their feelings. It was rather understandable actually. They were both too hormonal to have an in depth conversation whenever they could spend time together. One way or another, they always ended up in bed. Fuji felt guilty for using the few times they had with each other to merely relieve their sexual frustration instead of talking. Perhaps what they really needed was time to talk. They had to learn to put other matters, and even hormones, aside to sit down and talk about their feelings. Fuji made a note to arrange such meetings in the future. If he wanted to save this relationship, he must do that.
It seemed like Fuji spent too much time staring at the card because someone bumped into him as he walked past Fuji. Fuji was about to apologize when he realized that the person shoved something into his hand. It felt like a piece of paper, so he brought it up to inspect it.
To his surprise, it was another card from Tezuka. Fuji quickly whirled around to search for the person. He hadn't paid much attention to then. Who could it be? It wasn't Tezuka for sure. He would easily recognize Tezuka's face anywhere.
But the stranger was nowhere to be seen. It seemed as if he had made a quick disappearance into one of the stores. Fuji considered searching for him but knew that it would be a futile attempt. Tezuka wouldn't give himself away, and since the person was nowhere to be seen, Fuji focused on the card instead.
Once I've spoilt the chance given by fate
I'm guilty of the sin of making you wait
But then your smiles, your voice, you face haunted my dream
I realize that you are to stay in my heart, it seems
Tezuka's departure to Kyushu was indeed the most difficult thing Fuji had ever faced regarding his relationship with Tezuka, thus far. It was second only to telling Tezuka's family about them. It was a test of faith. He held on the thought that Tezuka would return someday in a perfect condition. Tezuka could have returned with a girlfriend in tow or he might have returned indifferent of Fuji's suffering. Fuji had many reasons to change his mind and forget about Tezuka but he didn't. He knew then that Tezuka was worth the wait and the pain, and he was right.
Telling Tezuka's family was also difficult. Fuji knew his family accepted their relationship but he wasn't sure if Tezuka's family would. He feared for the worst. What if Tezuka's family disinherited him? They were merely fifteen then. They were just students, incapable of being on their own. Despite his seeming calmness Fuji knew that Tezuka had been nervous and afraid. Yet running away wasn't an option. He knew he would stay by Tezuka's side no matter what his family's reaction might be. Tezuka had chosen him and he wouldn't let him down. He had stuck by Tezuka through the tense night, supporting him silently, sharing his fear. By the end of the night they lay on Tezuka's bed, embracing each other, kissing, and whispering sweet words of love. Their love had won.
Fuji continued to walk, looking around him to seek out the next card. Tezuka seemed to use many methods of handing him cards. Inui was definitely involved in this but Fuji would deal with him later. Right now the only thing on his mind was Tezuka.
“Ouch!”
A girl had tripped in front of Fuji. Papers and books flew everywhere and she frantically tried to collect them. Fuji knelt down and helped the girl kindly.
“Ah, ano, arigatou… I was in such a clumsy… I mean I'm very clumsy! I was in a hurry to… uh… to…” The girl looked away from Fuji, collecting her books and papers hurriedly. Suddenly, a car honked its horn and the girl stood up. “Uh, I've got to go. Arigatou.” She bowed quickly and ran to the car, not giving Fuji the chance to hand her the last book.
“Wait, your book…” Fuji called out after the girl but she had already climbed into a car that soon drove away. Fuji sighed. The girl was clumsy indeed, leaving her book like this. He noticed that it was a book of Hans Christian Andersen's tales. It's a surprisingly childish choice for someone her age. She looked like she's around thirteen or fourteen years old. Wasn't she too old for these kinds of books?
Fuji opened the book. Maybe the girl's identity was written here somewhere so that he could return it or at least give it to a nearby police station. But there wasn't any identification written. Instead, there was another card inside the book. Who was that girl then? Did they convince Echizen to cross-dress? She genuinely sounded like a girl, though, and Echizen would just shove the book into his hand and left. Well, no matter.
Our story isn't a fairy tale romance
This complex web cannot be solved with a mere glance
But they're similar in happiness I understand
A feeling I always carry since you became mine
Complex was a way to describe their relationship. Happy was another. It was a long, grueling road they had taken to get here. Yet, despite it all, Fuji didn't deny that he was happiest since he became involved with Tezuka. If he were asked whether Tezuka was worth the pain, he would say yes without hesitation.
Fuji continued to walk until the end of the shopping district. He hesitated near the cross road, wondering where to go next. So far Tezuka (or rather, Inui) had calculated his moves correctly. What should he do this time?
As he waited for the light to turn green, he saw a small box lying nearby on the ground. It was a simple box, tied with a blue ribbon. Somehow Fuji knew that it was meant for him so he picked it up. True to his suspicion, when he opened it, he found a card lying on top of a CD.
Do you know how much you've changed me?
Well for a start you've made me write poetry
Then there are these view you made me adopt
That allows me to see this love I wouldn't otherwise spot
Compared to the previous, this poem had an unexpected touch of humor. He wondered what Tezuka had been thinking about when he made this one. Surely, in a normal situation Tezuka wouldn't even try to make a joke. But then Tezuka had indeed written poetry for Fuji and there were private moments when Tezuka actually joked. So why not? Fuji smiled as he reread the poem. He felt that the poem was meant to show exactly how close he was to Tezuka. He was the only one allowed to see this humorous side of him. No one else. Not his family, nor his friends had ever seen it. It was an honor and a pleasure to reveal this side of Tezuka.
What about the CD though? On the cover of the CD his name was written in beautiful calligraphy. Obviously this CD was made for him. He wondered what songs were in the CD but he didn't bring his CD player with him. Just as he was about to store the CD and the card into his bag, a car pulled over next to him.
“Shuusuke, hop in!” Yumiko said from inside the car.
“Nee-chan, Yuuta, what are you doing here? I thought you're at your dorm, Yuuta.” Fuji asked, peering into the car.
“Your stupid boyfriend -ouch… Tezuka asked us to take you somewhere,” Yuuta answered with a scowl. Clearly he wasn't amused to be ordered around by his brother's boyfriend. “Just hurry up, okay?”
Fuji nodded and climbed into the car. Once he closed the door, Yumiko handed him another card. “From dearest Kunimitsu-chan,” she said teasingly. “And where's the CD? I'll play it for you.”
“He told you about the CD?” Fuji asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Yes. And he also told us about the other cards. We're not allowed to tell you about them, though, so don't even ask.”
Fuji pouted slightly but then his smile returned. Nothing could darken his mood today. Well, almost nothing since he was in such a bad mood earlier. With the help of the dying sun in the distance he started to read the card. His sister seemed to be speeding but he was to preoccupied by the card to care.
I will admit to jealousy
And even a little fear and insecurity
Because I know of your generous love
A part of you many aren't aware of
I know I shouldn't be selfish
But I really couldn't help but wish
I wish God give me two more eyes to see your face
I wish God give me two more ears to hear your voice
I wish God give me more years to cherish you
I wish God give me the ability to love you more than I already do
While Fuji read, Craig David's song “Unbelievable” played softly in the background. Yuuta's suffering groan escaped him as he was too busy to hold back his tears.
Always said I would know where to find love 
Always thought I'd be ready and strong enough 
But sometimes I just felt I could give up 
But you came and you changed my whole world now 
I'm somewhere I've never been before 
Now I see 
What word love means 
 
It's so unbelievable
And I don't wanna let it go 
Its something so beautiful 
Flowin' down like a waterfall 
I feel like you've always been 
Forever a part of me 
And it's so unbelievable 
To finally be in love 
Somewhere I never thought I'd be 
 
In my heart in my head it's so clear now 
hold my hand you've got nothin' to fear now 
I was lost and you've rescued me somehow 
I'm alive I'm in love you complete me 
And I've never been here before 
Now I see 
What word love means 
 
When I think of what I have 
And this chance I nearly lost 
I can't help but break down and cry 
oooh yeah break down and cry 
 
 
 
Now I see
What word love means
He was barely paying attention when the car stopped, but he was roused out of his musing by Yumiko's kind voice. “We're here.”
Fuji looked around and quickly recognized the place. Tezuka's rest house was somewhere around here. Is that where he should be heading?
“Hurry. He's waiting for you,” Yumiko prodded gently. “And here's another card for you,” she said, handing another card to her brother.
“Arigatou, nee-chan,” Fuji said, sniffing softly.
Yumiko nodded. “Just leave your stuff here. We'll take care of it.”
Fuji nodded and got off the car. Just before he walked down the path leading to the rest house, Yuuta called him. He turned back and looked at his brother in askance.
“Happy birthday,” Yuuta said quickly before closing the window. The car drove away before Fuji had the chance to tackle his brother or say anything.
Fuji stared after the disappearing car before continuing his way down the small path. Tezuka had taken him there twice for a fishing trip. The house was near a small river and a hill. Fuji had liked the place immediately but didn't ask to go there again because he knew that Tezuka wasn't comfortable asking his parents to allow him to stay in the family rest house with his boyfriend. Fuji had thought it was rather futile as the walls in Tezuka's house were paper-thin and his family was surely aware of what they were doing during their sleepovers.
While walking, Fuji read the card given by Yumiko. It was yet another poem. This time it was written with thick font as if Tezuka knew that Fuji would be reading this in dimming lights.
I won't give you sweet words
Nor will I promise you the world
I hope it's enough to say
Your smiles brightens up my day
Your tears break my heart
Your kisses rip my worries apart
As if on cue, the world suddenly brightened. Fuji looked up in surprise. It turned out that the trees around the path were decorated with lamps to light his way. Fuji chuckled softly, thinking about how considerate his lover was. The sun had set almost completely then, leaving only weak light. How Tezuka knew the exact moment he would be reading the card, Fuji didn't know, but he wasn't intent on figuring that out now. He walked slightly faster as he neared his destination. Soon he was stopped by a delightful obstacle in his way.
It was yet another card, placed on top of a flat stone with an orange rose to hold it in place. Fuji picked them up and started to read it as he walked. His impatience had won.
By this time you might already know
A part of me only shown in privacy
I wonder still why you don't choose to go
When I'm clearly not as perfect as I should be
Often I thought you deserve better
Someone who's your equal if I may say
Nevertheless I'm glad your feeling for me do not deter
Just as mine for you will never stray
Fuji smiled as he stored the cards in his pocket carefully. The house was visible now. It was dark and quiet as if unoccupied, but Fuji knew better. He was led here, after all, so Tezuka must be there waiting for him
The gate protecting the rest house was closed but not locked. In fact, there was another card placed there for him to read. Fuji took the card and opened the gate. He walked slowly this time, while reading the card. He was close to his goal so he didn't feel the need to rush.
I've never swarm you with flowers
Nor conduct a romantic dinner
I prefer words and acts of honesty
For I am a man of practicality
However it doesn't make it less true
When I vow my love for you
By the time Fuji finished reading the poem, he was standing in front of the door to the house. He hoped to hear hushed whispers but the house was silent. He couldn't possibly be mistaken though so he took a deep breath and opened the door.
The door was unlocked, showing that he was indeed in the right place. But the house itself was almost completely dark. There was only a single source of light there, a candle burning on a table, illuminating a card with a red rose resting on top of it. He went to the table to read the card. But instead of a poem, only three words were written on the card.
I Love You
“Shuusuke.”
At the familiar voice, Fuji turned around. Standing in the doorway leading to the interior of the house was Tezuka. His smiling face was lit by the soft light from the candles atop the birthday cake he was holding. Drifting softly in the air from behind the tall youth were the familiar voices of Fuji's friends and family singing Happy Birthday. The light flickered as Tezuka brought the cake closer to Fuji and led everyone to gather around the birthday boy.
Fuji barely looked at anyone, never mind the cake. His sole focus was on his boyfriend, who was currently singing softly to him. He smiled sweetly, holding back tears as the song ended.
“Make a wish,” Tezuka whispered.
Fuji nodded and closed his eyes. Seconds later he opened them and blew out the candles. Cheers filled the room as everyone congratulated Fuji at the same time. Ignoring them for a moment, Fuji lifted his head to invite a kiss from his boyfriend. Tezuka smiled and bent slightly to give Fuji a chaste kiss.
“Happy birthday,” he whispered as he broke the kiss.
“Thank you. Thank you for everything.” Fuji replied softly.
“What? We didn't get thanks? We've worked hard, too!” Momoshiro complained loudly, earning hard nudges on his ribs from Eiji and Oishi. “Ouch, senpai! That hurts!”
“Of course. Thank you everyone. You all did a great job.” Fuji said, turning to his friends. He still wouldn't let go of Tezuka though, and wrapped his arm around Tezuka's waist after the former Seigaku captain put the cake down on the table.
Everyone from his old team in Seigaku was present. Even his parents and Tezuka's were there. Suddenly he realized what he had just done and he blushed slightly. Showing affection in front of his friends was one thing, but doing it in front of his family was another. And what would Tezuka's family think? He released his arm from around Tezuka's waist and looked at Tezuka's parents and grandfather apologetically. To his relief, though, Tezuka Ayana smiled and patted his arm comfortingly.
“It's all right, dear. It's your birthday.” Beside her, Tezuka Kunikazu nodded in agreement. Their understanding smiles were matched by his own parents.
“Thank you,” Fuji said with a bow. He blushed when he caught the amused look from Tezuka's grandfather though. Though the elderly man had accepted their relationship, Fuji had been worried that he might not be able to come to term with the more intimate part of the relationship. He was relieved to see that he was worrying over nothing. To avoid more embarrassment, he hugged his mother and father. His father had especially returned to Japan this morning to celebrate his birthday. Fuji hadn't even spoken to him because he arrived after Fuji went to school.
“As I had mentioned, my prediction of Fuji's movement when concerning Tezuka has one hundred percent accuracy,” Inui spoke up, his glasses glinting as he jotted down something in his notebook.
“Mou, Inui, it's not time to take data!” Eiji complained.
“Thank you for your efforts. I appreciate it.”
“You should. We had a hard time figuring out ways to give you the cards without giving ourselves away.” Taka-san said. “Thank God you found them all. I thought you'd miss some.”
“I nearly did miss some of them,” Fuji agreed with a nod. “So who bumped into me and handed me the card? Surely it was one of you.”
“It's baka mamushi. He's the only one who could strike and disappear that fast. How very serpent-like.”
“Shut up, peach! Fssshh… I thought you would recognize me, senpai.”
“And I suppose you didn't recognize the girl who left the book, either. It was Sakuno, Ryuzaki-sensei's granddaughter. You should thank Echizen for that,” Oishi said with a wink to Echizen.
“Mada mada dane.” Echizen said, lowering his face to hide his blush.
“I still thought that we should have asked Oishi-senpai's sister,” Momoshiro grumbled. “That girl could barely act.”
“You're just jea… Ouch! Oishi, Momo hit me, nya!”
“Sorry, are we late?” Yumiko asked, bursting through the door. She looked rather disheveled as if she just ran there. When she saw that she was indeed a little late, she went to Fuji and hugged him. Behind her, Yuuta tried to be invisible and hid behind Inui so that he didn't have to hug his brother or do anything funny in front of others. “Once again happy birthday otouto.”
“Thank you, nee-chan.”
Seeing that an argument between Momo, Kaido and Eiji had broken out behind them, Yumiko proposed to move on to the next scheduled event, one that no one could refuse. “Let's open the presents and then eat!”
Opening the presents didn't take too long, mostly because Momo refused to wait for food and tried to sneak into the dining room several times as Fuji opened his gifts. Dinner was courtesy of Taka-san, Ayana and Yoshiko who made a great effort to make all of Fuji's favorite foods. Fuji cracked a joke about having to follow Yumiko's footsteps of joining a diet program after tonight but still ate a little bit of everything.
After the dinner was over, the elders retired to chat in the back porch while the boys and Yumiko went to the living room to have a karaoke party. Fuji and Tezuka decided to take the time for themselves and went upstairs to the balcony. Fuji didn't realize how much he missed Tezuka's touch until Tezuka hugged and kissed him. He melted into the touch as Tezuka stood behind him and wrapped his arms around his smaller body. They both sighed in contentment as they stared into the starry night sky.
“Do you like what I did?” Tezuka asked softly, as if reluctant to break the intimate silence but unable to help his insecurity and need of reassurance.
Fuji hummed and nodded his head that rested against Tezuka's shoulder. “I love it.”
“I'm glad,” Tezuka said with a smile. He kissed the crown of Fuji's head lovingly. “I'm sorry.”
Fuji pulled away from the embrace and turned to look at Tezuka with a pout. “So all those poems were just an apology? Well, you're not forgiven yet.”
Tezuka smiled in slight unease. He knew Fuji was just teasing him but he couldn't help but felt a little worried. He realized that he had done Fuji wrong by neglecting him for such a long time and he knew that Fuji wouldn't let him get away with that easily. “What should I do to earn your forgiveness?”
“Hmm…” Fuji hummed as he stepped closer to Tezuka and wrapped his arms loosely around Tezuka's waist. “You could start by granting my birthday wish.”
“What did you wish for?” Tezuka asked with a faint smile, resting his hands on Fuji's hips.
“I wished for you to spend more time with me and make us one of your priorities. I know tennis comes first, but try to prioritize us once in a while, okay?”
“That wish,” Tezuka said, lowering his face to kiss Fuji, “I'm glad to fulfill.”
They kissed passionately for a moment. It was the first time in a while where they didn't have to rush and could simply enjoy the moment. They pressed closer to each other, caressing sensitive spots they recalled from undiminished memory, moving in ways they remembered would inflame their desires.
“And you know,” Fuji started, breaking the kiss. He moaned when Tezuka licked the trail of saliva that ran down his chin. The taller youth pulled him closer, slipping a thigh between Fuji's legs to grind it against Fuji's growing arousal. “You could start your apology right here, right now.”
For a second Fuji thought Tezuka would refuse. He was too lost in their heated kiss to make more of a demand and was trying to prepare himself to go home sexually frustrated, but then Tezuka growled and bit his lower lip and Fuji was lifted into his arms. Fuji wrapped his hands around Tezuka's neck and kissed him as Tezuka carried him to his bedroom.
It seemed like his wish was coming true this year.
^___^
O~MA~KE
“Fuji, that is too much,” Tezuka whispered when they sat side by side in Yumiko's car on their way back home.
“Hmm?” Fuji purred while resting his head on Tezuka's shoulder.
“At least four sleepovers a week, going out once a week, a fishing trip once a month, calling you twice a day, ten text messages a day… that's too…”
Hmm?” Fuji hummed, lifting his face to peer at Tezuka from under half open eyelids.
“Never mind,” Tezuka sighed, wondering if he would survive this year alive
O~WA~RI
A/N: Rejected poems include:
Now that I've sworn to give you my love
Can I please have you naked and handcuffed?
And by the way yellow rose = joy and friendship, pink rose = gratitude and appreciation, orange rose = desire, red rose = romantic love. But could you believe that the flower/plant that represent February 29th is grass?!
This is one of the few fics I typed down without writing it on paper first. It might not be as good as others. Still... Comment, please...