Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ The Elements of Tennis ❯ Kurai and Akari's Combinations ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Elements of Tennis
Chapter Fourteen
 
"He's pretty confident, isn't he?" Akari asks Kurai.
"Don't worry about it," the cold tennis player responds.
"Okay," Akari smiles as she throws the ball up once again.
Kurai watches Kikumaru closely as he gets a look of realization on his face.
"I can see it," he mumbles.
"Won't help," Kurai whispers to herself.
The ball comes down, and as it falls past Akari's chin, it disappears once again. Kikumaru moves in the direction of the ball, prepared for a heavy ball. He hits it and it soars straight into the fence.
"Out, 40-0," the referee announces.
"A light ball?" Momoshiro asks in shock.
"There's no change in her serve," Fuji comments.
"You can see it, Fuji-senpai?" Momoshiro asks.
"They're good, it's hard to see their movements," Fuji admits. "Isn't that right, Echizen?"
"Yeah," Ryoma nods.
"You can really see that, Echizen?" Momoshiro questions.
Ryoma rubs his eyes. "Yeah."
"So, these guys have some players with good eyes," Kurai comments, having overheard the onlookers' conversation.
"I guess so, but that won't help them out here on the field. Good eyes alone can't stop our combination, right, Kurai?" Akari smiles.
Kurai nods as she sets up. As she looks ahead she notices a determined look on Kikumaru's face. She smirks as she holds up three fingers behind her back.
"Already?" Akari asks, surprised.
Kurai's hand returns to her racket.
"Wow, Kurai's pulling out all the stops on this one," Mizu comments. "To already tell Akari to use 'that,' she's either really mad, or, for the first time, she might just be getting into the game."
"Oi, Mizu," Kurai calls out. "Stop speaking such nonsense to yourself and pay attention, maybe you and Hikaji can learn something."
"Come now, is that any way to talk to your coach, Kurai?" Mizu scolds.
"Leave it, Mizu," Seeshin sighs. "You're not going to get anywhere with her."
Akari throws the ball up in the air and allows it to fall, this time it makes it all the way to her chest line and within the blink of an eye it's gone.
"Where'd it go?" Horio asks.
"It's fast," Fuji comments, opening his eyes. "Could you keep up with it, Echizen?"
"No," Echizen admits, calmly.
"Tezuka," Fuji states.
The captain simply shakes his head, directing everyone's attention back to the court.
Kikumaru jumps off to his right, his racket outstretched.
"Eiji!" Oishi shouts as the sound of a racket dragging on the ground is heard.
"Huh?" Kikumaru blinks as the ball he had been following disappears right as it should have hit his racket.
Oishi prepares for the real ball, which is approaching him. Carefully, he hits it high.
"Moon Volley!" the freshmen cheer.
"Akari," Kuari mumbles.
"Got it," Akari chirps.
Akari closes her eyes as she stands on the baseline.
"What's she doing?" Horio asks. "They're both just standing there."
The ball approaches at a deadly pace.
"Oishi-senpai did it, they're gonna get a point!" Tomo celebrates.
The ball gets to be two feet from hitting the baseline dead on and still the two girls have not moved. Suddenly Akari's eyes snap open. With a blink she is right next to the ball and has returned it. The ball lands on the opposing side without any fight from the Golden Pair.
"Game won by B.E.T.'s Akari-Kurai Pair, 1-0. Change court," the referee announces.
The two pairs walk over to their coaches.
"You two are doing great. First the Heaven's Fight-Hell's Plight combination, and now Akari's Blinding Light-Ra's Barrier combination. You two must be enjoying yourselves," Mizu comments with a smile.
"Yes!" Akari nods enthusiastically.
"Not really," Kurai states, glancing over at Seigaku.
"What do you mean? You're not having fun?" Akari pouts.
"They're just talk," Kurai responds in a mumble. "I was promised a challenge. This is embarrassing."
"Kurai," Akari sighs.
"Let's just hurry up and do this; unlike you people, I have a life besides this stupid game," Kurai mumbles as she heads for the other side of the net.
"What do you mean, 'stupid game'?" Akari shouts after her. "If it's so stupid, then why do you play? Why do you have to go and screw up our fun with your bad attitude all the time when you don't even like playing?"
"Akari, let's play," Kurai states, ignoring her outburst.
Akari suddenly smiles and follows her happily. "Okay."
"What's up with those two?" Kikumaru asks, watching the pair with a confused look.
"This is where we fight back. Right, Eiji?" Oishi asks with a smile as he places his hand on his partner's shoulder.
"Yes, Oishi," Kikumaru smiles as they, too, head off for their new side of the court.
"So, are you collecting good data, Inui-kun?" Mizu asks from the bench to the data collector standing behind her. "Was the viewpoint from the stands not good enough to see the fast movements of Akari and Kurai?"
"They are indeed fast," Inui admits.
"Try all you want, but even I haven't been able to gather data on those two when they're playing a match. Even being the bench coach for as long as I have, I'm still clueless as to how their combinations work. The only people who do understand them are those two out on the court."
Inui does not respond.
"Shocking, is it?" Mizu smirks. "Go ahead and try for yourself, you'll see exactly how advanced the Heaven's Flight-Hell's Plight and Blinding Light-Ra's Barrier combinations are for yourself."