Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ The Elements of Tennis ❯ The Smudge ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Elements of Tennis
Chapter Eighteen
 
"This is big," Seeshin comments. "Those two have never had to go this far, separated or together; they have never had to resort to their brand new rackets in order to win a match."
"Interesting," Hikaji smirks.
"Yeah, it seems like you've got some new competition, huh, Hikaji," Shinzoo smiles.
"I suppose I do. However, that damn Kurai will just have to be killed first," Hikaji responds as she cracks her knuckles.
"Eh?" Shinzoo's eye twitches.
"Damn you, Kurai! How dare you be going easy on me all this time and still have the nerve to bring out your real game on these half wits!" Hikaji explodes.
Kurai looks over from her place in front of Mizu and blinks.
"What are you getting all excited for, Hikaji? It's not like we couldn't have beaten them had it not been for our damn rackets wearing out," she states calmly.
"What?"
"See for yourself," Kurai shrugs as she tosses her old black and white racket over the fence.
It hits Hikaji in the head, refueling her anger immediately.
"Hey! Watch where you're throwing your crap, Kurai!"
"Hikaji, you can't go in there in the middle of a match!" Koorai shouts as she, Chikyuu, and Shinzoo all try to hold Hikaji away from the door to the court.
"Hikaji, get a hold of yourself," Seeshin orders. "Think of this as an opportunity to observe your rival at her best."
Hikaji blinks a few times before standing up straight.
"You're right. You hear that, Kurai, you've got no more secrets after today!" she brags.
"We'll see," Kurai shrugs as she turns back to the court. "Let's go, Akari."
The two teams meet up on the court once again.
"This match between Seigaku's Oishi-Kikumaru pair and B.E.T.'s Kurai-Akari pair shall resume at 0-30," the referee announces.
Oishi serves the ball and once again it goes directly to Akari's baseline. She sends it back with Ra's barrier, which sets it up for Kikumaru's acrobatics. He comes through as predicted and Kurai sends it over his shoulder directly to Oishi, who sends it back with his Moon Volley. Akari prepares for another Ra's barrier but when she looks down at her precious white racket she freezes, for there on the perect white handle is a smudge.
"Akari!" Kurai shouts.
The poor girl in white does not respond. Kurai growls as she takes off for the ball. She leaps into the air and hits it behind her, surprising both members of the Seigaku team. For starters, how'd she catch up with the ball? And then, how'd she hit it behind her with such precision as to make it bounce first between Kikumaru's legs, and then between Oishi's.
"0-40."
Kurai lands in front of Akari gracefully.
"Are you all right? What's wrong?" she asks.
"K-K-K-Kurai, it was . . . it was . . . it was so shiny," Akari pouts as water gathers in her eyes. "B-b-but, but . . . but now . . . it's ruined."
"Huh?" Kurai focuses in on the smudge and sighs. "Oh boy."
"They . . . sm . . . u . . . d . . . g . . . ed . . . i . . . t . . . Ku . . . rai . . . " Akari stutters through sniffling.
Kurai turns back to her opponents and places a hand on her hip.
"Sorry, guys, I wanted to play just a little longer with you guys, but looks like this will have to be the end," she announces.
"Why?" Kikumaru asks, curiously.
Growling is heard from behind Kurai as a strong aura emerges and surrounds Akari's body.
"That's why," Akari answers. "You've awaken the beast."
"Huh?" Kikumaru blinks. "That's one scary aura."
Oishi nods in agreement.
"YOU SMUDGED IT!" Akari shouts as she tosses her head back in anger. "YOU SMUDGED THE SACRED RACKET!"