Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ What if ❯ chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: usual disclaimer applied. I do not own any of the characters in this story.

last time

"Oh... well, I really can't say much about it. Except that it just felt weird... I'm just not used to eating with others." Hiroshi shrugged as he downed the rest of the content from the can in one gulp. After which, he bid goodnight to Ryoma and headed back up to his room to rest whereas Ryoma picked up his racket and joined his father in the temple tennis court for a match.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What If- chapter 15(Eiji's secret)

Oishi Shuichiro stared at his doubles partner with disbelief, he couldn't believed his partner had been so cheerful today. It's not that Kikumaru Eiji had not been cheerful before, in fact, Kikumaru Eiji is a very hyperactive and cheerful boy. However, that usually does not consist of one hyperactive, cheerful and daydreaming altogether. Throughout the years they'd spent together being partner and all, Oishi hasn't really seen such a drastic change in Kikumaru all in the past twenty-four hours.

"Ne, Eiji... are you sure you're fine?" Oishi asked yet again for the third time in the past ten minutes.
"Huh? Of course, I'm fine... Oishi..." Eiji replied with a dreamy look which causes Oishi to shook his head in defeat.

The moment practice was over, Momoshiro had approached Eiji for a invitation to the burger which Kikumaru Eiji had denied to the utter shock of most people. Without a glance backwards, Eiji took off into a run. Normally, Fuji might have suggested the idea of tailing Eiji as to find out the reason behind Eiji exceptional behavior; however, he was denied the chance to do so as Ryoma had officially invited Fuji to his house for dinner.

Kikumaru Eiji smiled to himself as he stepped out of the train at the Kanagawa station. Searching through the sea of people, his eyes caught sight of a familiar red head in yellow jersey standing by the side chewing a strawberry bubblegum. Smiling as he headed over to the figure, careful not to alert the other of his presence.

Marui Bunta, a third year student from the Rikaidai Jr.High tennis team was standing by the side of the Kanagawa train station as he waited for the arrival of the Seigaku tennis club, Kikumaru Eiji of the Golden pair. He briefly wonders how he had landed himself into such a situation when he remembered that episode which had them bonded together a week ago.

[Flashback]

A week prior to the week, Marui had been tired out after a game with Seigaku and having just got home from the hospital where they'd been visiting their buchou, Yukimura Seiichi, had been staying at. Marui Bunta can be very grouchy when he's deprived of sweets or food, which is exactly what happen that day. Marui had just stepped into his house when he had been tackled down by his younger brother who had been playing hide and seek with some friends of his in the house. When he'd tried to raid his kitchen for food, he was hit by the fact that most of the food had been gone already and that no one bothered to stock up the groceries. That of course made him rather irritated, and with all the chaos his sibilings were creating; he was on the edge of his temper. To top it off, he was drenched in sweat and was sticky all over. He was just about to snap at the next person who come in close to him when the doorbell rang. He had been in such a rage that when he thrown open the front door, he was stunned speechless by the appearance of someone in Seigaku tennis club jersey.

He raised his eyes to the figure standing in front of him only to be met with a pair of eyes with a hint of amusement and a cheeky smile. His mind had barely registered the idea of a Seigaku player standing in front when the other had introduced himself as Kikumaru Eiji and held out his hand for a handshake. He had been still in shock then, since he was informed later by Eiji that he had been practically gaping and catching flies in his mouth. It had taken him a whole of five minutes to gather himself together again, and the thing which brings him out from his reverie had been the very evidence of his hunger. His stomach had growled, in the process gaining attention from Eiji and he had turned into an interesting shade of red. That was when Eiji had held up a bag from the bakery nearby and offered it up to him. He had gratefully taken it and gobbled it up. When asked for the reason for Eiji's sudden appearance in front of his house, Eiji had been surprised by the fact that Marui lived in that neighbourhood.

Marui had shot Eiji a look which says 'Why else do you think I'm the one who answer the door?' It was then that they'd discovered the fact that Eiji had been there to pick up his cousin who had been over at Marui's place for a game of hide and seek with Marui's sibiling.

"So why are you the one who's picking him up?" Marui had asked when his younger brother, Maki had led a boy named Kenji out from his room and handed over to Eiji.
Eiji had turned beet red at the question refusing to answer, when pressed into the issue he had merely mumbled a soft answer "Babysitting" which Marui had to strain his ears just to hear it.

[End of flashback]

Ever since then, they'd decided to meet up every weekend. Since Eiji had been giving the task of babysitting his cousin Kenji over the weekend when his relatives had been away for business issues. Sometimes when Eiji had a match on the weekend, Kenji will be entrusted to the neighbor, namely Marui's parents if they're home. At times, Eiji even had to bring Kenji wherever he went if Marui's parents weren't home and Eiji had a match. Marui had been so deep in thought that he hasn't noticed the sudden appearance of Eiji so when Eiji had tapped him on the shoulder he'd almost drop his bag in shock.

"Gosh, When did you arrive?" Marui gasped as he raised his head only to find Eiji hovering above him.
"I only just arrived and since you're so deep in thoughts... I thought I wouldn't disturb you, but it had been so long and if I don't make a move to collect my cousin now... I bet I won't even have time for a shower later on. Since my cousin had a habit of pestering me all night... and if I wanted to spent time over at your house. We'll have to go now, so that we can ensure a few moments of privacy before my cousin decided to wake up from his afternoon cat nap. " Eiji answered as he leaned over to give a peck on Marui's cheeks.

~to be continue~
date completed: 20/02/05