Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ When Tezuka Had Fallen For Her ❯ Act ix ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Author's Notes: PLEASE READ. I want everyone to know that I'm so happy to receive feedbacks and encouragement from you. Thank you so much for reading this. This is my first ever attempt to make a sensible fanfiction, and a friend had told me that choosing Tezuka was quite too much for a head start, and I somewhat think she was right, because I'm having real trouble on doing this. Your reviews are one of the things that kept me typing in my computer (gets handkerchief and blowing her nose). Really, I find this corny (hehe), but I think I really need to thank you guys!
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Prince of Tennis (I had finally given up on seeking the perfect person to do this for me *sighs*)
 
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
Act ix
(Chapter Nine)
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
 
 
 
“Honto, Shi-chan?”
 
“Sou.”
 
“I must watch you later, then!”
 
Tezuka distractedly looked up from his world history book to the couple of his female classmates huddled around what he recognized as Mizuno Shina's chair, which was just a seat away from his own. What the buchou only knew about Mizuno Shina was that she and he had been classmates since fourth grade, that her family owns a major sports clinic in Okinawa and that she is the vice captain of the Seigaku girls' team. Not that he cared anyway. These girls were being way too noisy, and they are disturbing him.
 
Sighing in defeat, Tezuka closed his book and got onto his feet, thinking that he should be now changing for club practice. He returned his book in his bag and carried it as he walked towards the door, when he caught what Mizuno Shina said to her friends in a very airy one of voice.
 
“I was informed that she was a champion from some random country. I'm not sure if the freshman's bluffing, but by the way she accepted the challenge confidently, I think she's telling the truth.”
 
“Maybe you should prepare, Shi-chan,” one of the friends said. “If the rumors about her being a champion is true…”
 
Mizuno laughed haughtily. “Oh, come on! How bad can it go? Besides, Seigaku's specialty is tennis…”
 
Tezuka didn't hear the rest of the conversation as he continued walking along the nearly deserted hallway, shaking his head.
 
Letting her guard down like that, he thought. I won't be surprised if she loses the match, regardless of how good she can be.
 
He seemed to not notice the hopeful and dazed looks of the female students as he passed by, and the giggles they were trying (and failing) so hard to stifle. All he had in mind were playing strategies.
 
“Tezuka,” a familiar serene voice cut through the bespectacled buchou's thoughts.
 
He looked over his shoulder to see Fuji Syuusuke and Kikumaru Eiji emerging from Class 6's door.
 
“Fuji, Eiji,” Tezuka said, by the way of greeting. The three of them resumed walking together, making the girls giggle even more and the boys follow their progress silently.
 
“Did you hear, nya?” Eiji voiced out, once they descended the stairs. “A big event's going to happen in the girls' courts. The girls in the class were talking about it.”
 
“Saa…” replied Fuji with his usual smile. “What could it be?”
 
“Something like a challenge match between a junior and a senior,” said the redhead wonderingly. “Dunno why, but I remember Ochibi every time I think about it.”
 
“Hmm…sounds like our Echizen,” said the brown-haired tensai, as he reminisced the said freshman's challenge match with the non-regular Arai half-a-year ago, which ended with the non-regular being humiliated. Oh, how entertaining it is to see someone so miserable.
 
“I believe it's vice-captain Mizuno Shina who will be playing,” said Tezuka.
 
The other two's silence made the stoic hazel-haired captain glance at them curiously.
 
You know about it?” said Fuji in a slightly amused manner.
 
“What's the matter with that?” Tezuka asked impassively.
 
“It's weird for Tezuka to know rumors, nya,” said Eiji, resting his hands at the back of his head casually. “He's the last one to know even the most well-known gossip!”
 
“I happened to hear it from my classmates by accident,” said Tezuka, shrugging.
 
“Saa…but I heard that that Mizuno Shina has a horrible attitude,” said Fuji smilingly, not bothering to lower his voice. The nearby students gave him an odd look and talked among themselves.
 
“Self-proclaiming, nya,” chimed Eiji in agreement. “I remember the time when we're in the same class. She loves to pick on the people she knew won't fight back. I wonder how she became the fukubuchou?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
 
 
 
“Please…!”
 
“I said, no…”
 
It had been like that for quite a while now. Tomoka and Sakuno persistently trailed behind Ringo, who was trying her best to ignore the two and had resorted into walking around campus in the hopes of getting them tired and weary.
 
But her plan seemed not to work.
 
Plan B, she thought rapidly. Make out unquestionable excuses. Convinced, she came to a halt and breathed deeply.
 
Sakuno almost ran over Tomoka when the latter suddenly stopped.
 
“Gomen, Tomo-chan.”
 
“It's okay…” Tomoka said reassuringly to her friend, before looking back at her senpai.
 
Ringo turned around to face the freshmen. “I just can't…” she said sadly. “I don't have my clothes and racket with me.”
 
“That won't be a problem,” said Tomoka at once. “We can borrow the clothes from other members of the girls' tennis club! I'm sure someone among the members has the same size as you, Ringo-senpai.”
 
Ringo whacked her brains for another excuse. “Of course…but, I haven't played for quite a time, so I'm not sure if I would be able to play properly. I might even hurt myself; I didn't have proper training for months. I wasn't prepared for this. This even happened without me knowing.”
 
This was it. She had done it.
 
The two freshmen looked at each other guiltily, realizing what they have done. They dragged an innocent senpai into trouble where they were actually at fault. They were forcing her to help them, not thinking how hard it would be on her part.
 
Tomoka shifted her feet uncomfortably. “Gomenasai, Ringo-senpai,” she said lowly.
 
Sakuno bowed at Ringo. “Gomen!”
 
Ringo stared at them. She was glad that her excuse worked out, but she can't help but feel guilty for rejecting them. Did she have a good reason not to play tennis anymore?
 
She mentally shook her head and tried to convince herself.
 
“We shouldn't have forced you,” said Tomoka sadly. “I didn't think about your feelings.”
 
“Me and Tomo-chan would just go there and apologize,” said Sakuno. “Gomen, Ringo-senpai. This was our fault.”
 
Ringo rested a hand on each of Sakuno's and Tomoka's shoulders comfortingly. “I'm sorry too, guys…I wish I could have helped you.”
 
She really wished she could. But it was just bad luck that they asked for the wrong favor. She would never play tennis again. Never.
 
Tomoka shook her head and smiled her usual smile. “I should pay for what I did, anyway. We should go now; those seniors must be already waiting.”
 
“Demo…Tomo-chan…” said Sakuno worriedly. “Will you be okay?”
 
“Daijobu,” said Tomoka confidently. “I, Osakada Tomoka, never take back her words, even if it costs her life.” Her voice sounded unsure even if she wore a carefree smile. “Oh well…ja!” She broke into a run towards the opposite direction.
 
“Gomen, Ringo-senpai.” Sakuno bowed at her senpai for the last time before stumbling after her friend. “Tomo-chan, wait!”
 
Ringo looked at their backs regretfully, doubt washing all over her. Did she make the right decision? Will she just let her kouhais suffer the consequences? She knew that it was their fault anyway, so punishing them would be just right, ne? That's what happens to people who think about themselves ahead of others. They somewhat deserve it…
 
Just like how she deserved to be punished…
 
She stared at the now empty hallway, the silence pressing on her ears, not really registering it in her mind. She then began to walk away.
 
Yes, they deserved it. They must suffer the consequences…
 
Right?
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
Flashback
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
 
(Note: The letters written in bold letters are spoken in English)
 
 
Five years ago…
 
 
----
 
 
Ringo! Today's Sunday!” called out a voice from outside. “Let's go somewhere!
 
Eight-year-old Ringo had made sure that her shoes were tied properly before picking up a tennis racket and a few balls from her closet.
 
Sorry!” she yelled back, recognizing the voice as her friend's. “I've got to do practice today!
 
She heard the faint sound of her house's front door as it was opened, probably by her Mom, to talk to her friend, who she assumed was standing on the doorstep below her bedroom window. That friend of hers should have known better; Ringo spent her whole Sunday in the courts.
 
Ringo left her bedroom and went downstairs for breakfast, and found her Dad already seated at the dining table, face hidden behind the newspaper.
 
“Ohayo, Outo-san,” she greeted, taking the seat nearest to him. Her Dad chuckled behind the paper.
 
“So, you finally perfected Japanese, huh?”
 
“How couldn't I?” said Ringo, swinging her legs back and forth (she was so short by then that her feet dangled inches from the floor as she sat). “How can I speak if we go to Japan?”
 
She paused when she noticed her Dad's grip on the newspaper slightly tighten at the mention of Japan, but decided to overlook it. For some reason he gets weird when they talk about the country. She quickly thought of another topic.
 
But her Dad had suddenly spoken even before she could come up with a subject.
 
“Why don't you go with your friend today?”
 
Ringo forked a hotdog and took a bite of it before answering, “I think it would be wiser to spend my time practicing.”
 
Her Dad laid the newspaper down, but Ringo wasn't looking at him. She was staring at her plate.
 
“Don't you think you're overdoing it?” There was a hint of something in his voice, but Ringo can't quite lay the finger on it. “Enjoy your childhood days, Ringo. You only live once.”
 
“Yes, we only live once,” said Ringo. “So I think I mustn't waste time. I need to train more. I can't let the opportunity of becoming strongest in Britain pass by; who knows if there would still be a second chance?”
 
There was a short pause.
 
Finally, Ringo saw out of the corner of her eye that her Dad shifted on his seat, and she could tell that he was smiling at her.
 
“I'll be happy whenever you are, Ringo,” he said. “Just follow your heart's desire.”
 
Ringo nodded. “My desire is to be the world's top player, so that I can make Dad happy, ne?”
 
Her Dad laughed. “Why yes, darling. I just don't want you pushing yourself too much. It'll make me worry.”
 
“Hai.” Ringo jumped on her feet and grabbed her tennis gear, which was on the seat by her side. “Dad, can you coach me again? I need to perfect that serve for the tournament.”
 
Her Dad sighed as he picked up his spoon to stir his coffee. “I would like to…but there was an important errand I need to attend to. Gomen.”
 
“It's okay,” she said, leaving the dining room. “See yah!
 
And Ringo,” her Dad quickly said, making his daughter turn around. “You can come with me, if you like.”
 
As expected, she shook her head and smiled. “I would do better if I practice.” With that, she left, failing to see the thin line of disappointment in his father's lips.
 
As Ringo walked along the hallway to the front door, she saw her Mom just entering from outside. She looked up as she noticed her daughter approaching.
 
“Ohayo,” Ringo greeted cheerfully.
 
“Ohayo,” her Mom greeted back. “Already leaving, Ringo?”
 
“I need to consume as much time as possible.”
 
Ringo's hand was already on the doorknob when her mother spoke.
 
“Your friend Leah told me you haven't had any get-together for quite a while now.”
 
Ringo looked back at her. “Aa…I was busy…”
 
Her Mom eyed her worriedly. “You've been practicing day and night, Ringo. Don't you think you had enough? You should rest. Even your friends are worried sick.
 
Ringo frowned lightly. “Daijobu. There are many kinds of players out there, and to be the best I'll need to beat them all, right? And to beat them I need to be strong, and to be strong I need to train. I really need to do this, Kaa-san.”
 
Her mother stared at her, before sighing in defeat. “Just take care of yourself, okay?”
 
“Hai. Ittekimasu!”
 
“Ringo…Matte…!” But Ringo had already disappeared behind the door, leaving her mother staring worriedly at the piece of wood that barricaded the house from outside.
 
I was going to say Ittarashai…”
 
-------
 
Ringo exhaled a cry as she hit the last ball thrown at her by the machine with the strongest hit she could muster. She had hit it with such force and accuracy that the yellow ball darted directly back to the mouth of the feeding machine, causing it to jam inside and thus breaking the apparatus.
 
She shouted an apology to the flabbergasted tennis garden manager who attended to the poor machine, before going to the bench to quench her thirst and wipe sweat off her face. Sparse hairs clung on her cheeks as she panted.
 
She then picked up her racket, now planning on practicing her serve, when she realized that her sports bag was vibrating—or rather, her phone inside it was ringing to announce a pending call.
 
Hello?” she said loudly over the noises of the bouncing balls and the low chattering of people.
 
Her mother's voice drifted from the phone. “Ringo, for goodness' sake! You're not answering your phone!
 
“Gomen…I was practicing—” Ringo barely finished her sentence when her Mom interrupted. Something seemed to be wrong.
 
“Ringo…anata (1)…” was all she managed to say, before bursting into sobs.
 
Ringo's eyes widened and she gripped her mobile phone tightly. “Doushite? What about Outo-san?”
 
Her mother's reply sent chills down Ringo's spine, and she failed to notice that she had dropped her racket in shock. “No…”
 
 
-------
 
 
Dad…where's Dad?!
 
Ringo's mother and the doctor were sitting on two of the chairs lining the hallway. They both looked up when a panting Ringo still in her tennis clothes halted before them, panting heavily.
 
He'sinthere,” the doctor said in a low voice, referring to the nearest door. He had barely finished speaking when Ringo barged in the said room.
 
“Outo-san!” she cried, running and kneeling by the hospital bed to be in level of her Dad's face. “OUTO-SAN!”
 
Her father forced his eyes open, then turned his head to see his daughter crying on his sheets. He grinned weakly. “Ringo…y-you're here…”
 
“Dad…don't die…!” Ringo pleaded. She could clearly hear the slow beeping of the life-preserving machines cluttered around the bed, and they sounded not too promising. “Don't leave us!”
 
“N-now, now…” her Dad said, his voice barely louder than a whisper and his eyes half-lidded. “Don't cry…Dad will not be happy…”
 
Ringo sniffed. “But first, tell me that you're alright!”
 
Her father attempted to chuckle, but he winced and grunted in pain. Ringo gasped.
 
“Outo-san!”
 
Her father shook his head. D-Don't mind me. H-How did practice g-go?”
 
Ringo's eyes widened and her hands clenched the white beddings while she shouted. “How…how could you still say that? Y-you're…you're already hit by a car and you're still thinking about tennis?”
 
“What are you talking about?” Her father closed his eyes, as if maintaining them opened was too much of a burden. “You know that t-tennis is our passion.” He slowly raised his hand to touch Ringo's tear-drenched cheek.
 
“Ringo,” he croaked. “I w-want you to make a promise.”
 
Ringo's heart twisted as he heard her father's voice go down from silent to inaudible, nevertheless, she held his outstretched hand with both of hers, looking at him to indicate that he had her whole attention.
 
Her father's mouth opened, and he spoke in a voice so soft that Ringo needed to lean closer to hear.
 
“K-keep your loved ones close to you, Ringo. They are your greatest strength.”
 
Ringo really didn't fully understand what he meant, but she still nodded as more tears fell from her blue-gray eyes. “I promise…”
 
Her father smiled at her response. His face loosened up into a peaceful expression, and his hand that held Ringo's cheek slowly fell limply to his side.
 
Outo…san?” Ringo felt as if her mind and body had gone numb. Even her flow of tears temporarily stopped.
 
“I…suppose…I-I can go now…knowing…knowing…I r-raised….a good…girl…”
 
The beeping machine emitted the steady sound that announced the dreaded…
 
“OUTO-SAN!”
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
End of Flashback
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
 
Ringo stopped walking, her bangs shadowing her eyes. She didn't know why that incident crossed her mind all of a sudden. Even if it has already been five years, the memory was still as fresh in her mind as if it just happened yesterday. She didn't even said goodbye to him properly. She was too busy playing that sport to give him attention.
 
But that wasn't the reason why she had stopped playing tennis. In fact, she became more engrossed to the sport after her father died. She became a skillful tennis player he always dreamed of her to be, slowly received recognition, and later on won successive tournaments. She's in the peak of her career. This was what she desired all along.
 
But no
 
The truth is, she had forgotten why she was playing tennis. Her only reason was to keep her thoughts busy, so that her mind wouldn't wander elsewhere. She didn't want to think about painful things. That's how she had gotten really good at the sport; he dedicated her whole devotion to it. She thought she would be safe if she closed herself within the world in the courts.
 
She had forgotten her father's last words. Her promise.
 
At the thought, voices began to resound in Ringo's mind, and she noncommittally staggered sideward. She leaned against the wall for support.
 
She recognized the first set of voices as her friends'.
 
The only thing you loveis tennis!
 
You idiot, how can we call you a friend?
 
You don't what a friend means…
 
You're not the Ringo I knew…you are not that friend who's always there for me..
 
“Stop…” Ringo gasped, closing her eyes as if praying for the voices to just go away. Slowly, her friends dissolved into nothingness, only to be replaced by a female voice very familiar with her.
 
The worried voice of her mother.
 
“It's already eight in the evening, Ringo. Did you go to the courts again?”
 
“You might be sick, Ringo….See? You have a fever, just rest for the day.”
 
“Ringo…don't push yourself too hard, darling.”
 
Ringo clenched her fists in frustration as her mother's voice echo away. She bit her lip, as finally the memory of her mother's doctor's words came to her mind.
 
“So you are Ms. Ringo Harinozuka.”
 
She opened her eyes as her own voice spoke in her thoughts.
 
“Why do you want me here, Dr. Collins?”
 
Dr. Collins cleared his throat. “I guess it was obvious, Ms. Ringo. First and foremost I want to express my disappointment regarding your recent actions.”
 
Ringo remembered clearly how she reacted to the man's words. She was shocked. How could someone like him who didn't even know her personally say such a thing?
 
I know your tennis career is important for you, but I think your mother is much more important. You were not taking good care of her. You're not even accompanying her in her check-ups. Have you been too busy hitting the tennis ball to even notice the most noticeable alarming symptoms she was showing? Your mother is going to die, Ms. Ringo. It would be just a matter of months.”
 
But it wasn't her fault, she had thought during that time. Her mother wasn't telling anything; he thought those check-ups were mere precautionary consultations. She didn't know that it was that crucial. She wasn't the one to blame.
 
Though it dawned on her. She had indeed been insensitive of his surroundings. She was scared to face the fact that her father was long gone. She can't move on. Time won't allow her, so she barricaded herself within the courts, where she could control her own time. She didn't realize what was happening outside. She lost her friends, and even her mother.
 
She lost them…her loved ones…
 
She wasn't strong after all. She was selfish. She doesn't want to be hurt with the memory of her father. She desperately wanted to escape from reality, so desperately that she had completely forgotten that her world didn't just revolve around her father. She still had her friends…and her mother.
 
Now she understood her father's words. Her greatest strength would be the ones who love her. Now she felt empty. She had lost everything. She had lost her reason to play tennis. She was not worthy for the sport. It would be better if she would stop. Her Dad surely was very disappointed.
 
But…Ringo thought, standing up straight. Now it felt very wrong. Why had she refused to play once more? It was because she has no right to play, after what she had done. Or…was it because…she's scared? Scared of repeating what she had done? Scared of the memories that it would bring back? She realized she was being selfish again. She was doing this for her own sake. She was not moving on. She was…repeating her mistakes…
 
Would she still afford to pass by the opportunity of moving on this time? Would she turn down the people who for her are now the closest thing to friends? Just because she was scared?
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
“Well, well…look who we have here? The brave freshies!”
 
Derisive laughter filled the air as Sakuno and Tomoka entered the girls' tennis club courts. Sakuno looked horror-stricken at the thought of the whole club paying their whole attention to them, while Tomoka's face was contorted with mixed rage, embarrassment, and resolution.
 
Mizuno Shina stood haughtily before the freshmen, sneering. Two of the other female regulars stood on either side of her like bodyguards.
 
“Well?” she said, cocking an eyebrow. “Where's your champion? I can't see anyone around.”
 
Tomoka glared at the ground with clenched fists, and Sakuno looked up at the fukubuchou fearfully.
 
“Our champion will not arrive,” Tomoka murmured.
 
“What?” Mizuno said loudly. “Didn't quite catch that, freshman.” She leaned closer to Tomoka's face.
 
“I said,” the girl in pigtails repeated loudly, “we don't have Ringo-senpai with us. I will do the consequence.”
 
Mizuno stared at her before standing back straight and smirking. “You meaning to say that it's all a bluff? After all the racket you made earlier? Why, you got some guts, kid! I even invited my friends just to watch this challenge match. You won't be easily forgiven…”
 
Sakuno moved quickly in front of Tomoka, as if to protect her. “Senpai…what do you mean by that?”
 
The one on Mizuno's right, a short-haired girl with heavy makeup, replied with a sneer. “She means…your friend there won't just get away revealing her undies to the whole school, after all the insults she threw at Shi-chan.”
 
Both freshmen's eyes widened.
 
“Nani?” said Sakuno, and her voice was dramatically rising in anger. “That's not fair, senpai-tachi!”
 
Tomoka stared at her friend in surprise. Never did Sakuno get this mad. The closest moment she got to angry was when Ryoma picked on Horio for disguising as him when he turned up late for the registration in the Kantou Tournament.
 
“Eh?” Mizuno said, looking down at Sakuno. “We have the right to do this. You freshmen were brainless, as usual. What should be expected from you?”
 
Tomoka's shoulders shook in anger. She looked up at Mizuno Shina disgustedly.
 
“YOU ARE A DIRTY OLD PIG! I WON'T LET YOU BULLY US!”
 
Sakuno's eyes were wide as platters as she turned to her friend, who was breathing heavily after shouting at the top of her lungs. She did it, she thought helplessly. She lost her temper. We won't get away with this anymore…
 
Mizuno Shina's expression was priceless. She was so angry that she seemed to give off a threatening aura as she glowered down at Tomoka mercilessly. Her friends stepped away from her, as if afraid of being hit.
 
Mizuno took a step forward, alarming the two first years. “You…won't…get away with…this,” she said, barely able to speak due to suppressed rage. In a flash, she grabbed a racket from the nearest bystander, and swung it forcefully towards Tomoka.
 
The people watching gasped and Sakuno screamed, as Tomoka instinctively raised her arms in front of her face, her eyes screwed shot—
 
TWACK!
 
Tomoka's knees buckled at the sound, and she stifled a sob. But…
 
It didn't hit her.
 
“N-nani?” she heard Mizuno Shina say in shock. Surprised, she slowly opened her eyes, and stared with her eyes wide.
 
A girl stood before her, an arm raised to take the blow of the racket. Her long mane of pale brown hair whipped across Tomoka's face as a gust of wind swept by.
 
“A racket,” Ringo said in a deadly voice, glaring at Mizuno with eyes deep with disgust, “is not used to hurt people…senpai.”
 
Mizuno blinked at her, taken aback, before smirking and standing back to pull the racket away. She hefted the racket over her shoulder. “Heh…and you are?”
 
Ringo let her arm fall limply to her side as she looked straight to the senior's eyes. “Harinozuka Ringo…I will take your challenge…”
 
Mizuno Shina's sneer was wider and more sinister than ever.
 
“Bring it on.”
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
 
 
 
End of Act ix.
 
 
~>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+>+<+> +<+>+<~
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: Whew! This one's quite long….but finally…FINALLY…Ringo will play. I had prepared so much for her match. I even made up her moves and playing style! I hope you're liking the story so far…stay tuned, folks! Oh yeah, PLEASE REVIEW…I can't go on without at least one. Thanks for reading…..