Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Singing Mountain ❯ Chapter 19: Let Me Help You! ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Last time on Singing Mountain

"The temple." She decided. "The Moro Gami temple at the very peak of the mountain. That's as high as we can go."

"Then let's hurry." He suggested, flying faster. Then, Masquerade angrily turned her head away from him, letting some of her hair fly in his face. He brushed it away with one hand and tried to look in her eyes.

"San…it was an accident. I was tricked…I thought it was Surreal. She disguised herself as you to trick me into…"

"Not another word out of you." Masq snarled. "I'll jump off!"

Cell couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"You really meant it? You hate me now?"

"Yes." She firmly stated, turning her head to him and angrily sneered at him. "I can't believe I fell in love with you…Cell…"

Singing Mountain: Chapter 19

Many had the same idea Masquerade had. The Moro Gami temple was packed with frightened and sorrow-stricken villagers, priestesses, and wolves. Cell could hear every voice in the main chamber was panicked, or mourning, or praying to the faith they belonged to for hope and help. Some people had brought the lifeless bodies of their loved ones in the temple and were crying over them. A few of the bodies were lain in a corner of the chamber and were respectively covered in fur shrouds.

Everyone in the room was afraid, angry, or confused. He could hear crying…men, women, children, and priestesses of all age's…giant wolves and little puppies. There were many people crying and bawling. He could hear destroyed couples, lost children, grief stricken parents, friends gone, elders passing beyond their time…the grief was strong enough to strangle Masq and Cell.

Then, Masq spotted a figure lounging on a wall that showed a painted view of the old Tatara Ba. The figure was a priestess wearing a fur shroud and covering her face with her full mask. Masq recognized who it was immediately and ran to her in relief.

"Rhapsody!" she cried. "You're alive!"

"Yeah." Rhapsody nodded, sniffing back tears behind her clay mask. "But there are so many who aren't…Kaede…Shikibu…Marlene…Miaka…"

"Miak a's dead?" Masq gasped. "Oh no…" Cell couldn't believe his ears either. Miaka…she had promised to help him capture Surreal…but she failed because Surreal wasn't the spirit's real name…

Laerrus is going to die for this…

And she won't just die…

She will be destroyed…

He heard whimpering on the other side of the room. It sounded like wolf puppies. Cell turned his head to the Ashitaka mural, and found Tori and Ghen lying next to each other, sheltering the small puppies next to them. Cell quickly walked to them.

"Ghen!" he called. "Are you alright?"

"You…" was the best greeting Ghen could give as he lifted his head. Cell patted Ghen's nose, but the wolf snapped his jaws at the android. "DON'T TOUCH ME!" he shouted defensively.

"Leave him alone, Mr. Cell…" Tori insisted, looking up at him. "He and the cubs are so very grieved." Cell looked down at his feet at the puppies. He could see Yume lying by Ghen, her stomach wrapped in bandages. He could remember the day he saved her from the wolf poachers…and how concerned he was for the little one. He knelt down on one knee, and gently patted her head. Yume looked up with the saddest puppy eyes Cell had ever seen. Even his heart melted at the sight of them.

"Are you alright, Yume?" Cell asked quietly. Yume stood up and leaned her head on Cell's knee sadly.

"I want my mama…" she whimpered.

"Where is she? We do need Moro-sama badly…"

"She's dead…" Ghen growled out of the corner of his mouth, then he whimpered with his eyes closed. As shock spread over Cell, Tori gently nuzzled Ghen's chin in comfort.

"No…" Cell whispered in horror. "Moro…"

"She sacrificed herself for the lives of her cubs." Tori explained, turning her head back to Cell. "She couldn't escape from Death's Light in time to be with them…Yume is taking it worse of all." Cell patted Yume's furry back in comfort while the wolf rested next to him. Cell looked up at Tori.

"I am sorry about Miaka…" he began softly. "…and everyone else who is dead. How many are dead?"

"Hundreds." Tori reported. "Not including the animals of the forest." She whimpered at him. "Mr. Cell, what is happening? What is killing all life on the mountain?"

"The demon of the Shishi Gami." Cell sighed. Ghen raised his head again at that.

"What does that mean? There was no demon of the Shishi Gami."

"It's the other side of it." Cell narrowed his eyes. "The side that kills."

"You must mean the Night Walker…" Ghen snorted. "That is impossible. For the Night Walker to be alive, the Shishi Gami must be alive."

"What's the Night Walker?" Cell blinked. Ghen turned his head to a hall leading out of the main chamber. Cell could see a night portrait covering one wall. On that portrait, towering high above the forest trees and practically able to touch the moon, was a gigantic sized creature that looked exactly like the monster Surreal had become. "That's what I saw." Cell pointed out. "Only…it wasn't that big."

"What?" a priestess next to him asked. Cell turned to her. He remembered her from that night at the hot springs. It was the British San.

"We think that the Night Walker is causing this." Cell said to her. No sooner did those words escape his lips did the word spread around the chamber. When news reached Rhapsody, she looked at the spirit's picture outside the hall, and ran to the center of the chamber to get everyone's attention.

"May I have your attention please?!" she announced loudly. Most of the talking, praying and crying had stopped. "There is no further use standing up here and waiting for that creature to grow strong enough and send its Death's Light to us. I'm all for trying to find a way to stop it. If it is indeed the Night Walker, then there is a way to put out its flame of fury."

"There is!" Masq agreed, stepping foreword. "The Demon Scroll says something about this. The Night Walker and the Shishi Gami are one being, but its form depends on the night and the day. By day, it is the Shishi Gami, but at night it becomes the Night Walker and changes back at sunrise. Maybe we don't have to fight. We can just wait until sunrise."

"We don't have that kind of time!" Biso spoke up, also coming into the center of the chamber. "It will be too strong by then. And even if the sun comes up and changes it back into the Shishi Gami, then nightfall will come back and it will change back! It must be destroyed!" Then, he nodded at Masquerade with a smile. "I'm also glad that you're alright, San Masquerade." Masq gave the slightest nod towards Biso.

"We must come up with a plan!" Rhapsody proposed as Masq walked up to the dragon priest. "Does anyone have an idea?"

"Biso…" Masq said to the priest quietly, now out of the spotlight.

"Yes, San?"

"You were right about Cell…" Masq nodded. "He…he tried to kill me tonight…I'm lucky to be alive. You were right…" Biso hugged her close, and she rested her head on his shoulder. "He…became a monster again…and he just…oh, Biso!"

"It's alright." Biso comforted. "We've all been hurt before. But…" he drew her chin up with one finger. "…it was nice while it lasted, wasn't it? Hold on to those happy memories, and one day…"

"I don't want to remember any of it!" Masq declared, pounding once on Biso's chest. "I want him out of my life! That bastard…"

"You cut me deep, Masq…" Cell's voice sighed from behind Biso. They both turned to see Cell looking at them sadly. "You do know where to hit my weak spots, don't you?"

"It was only a matter of time before you became your old self again." Biso glared at Cell. Cell glared at him.

"That's not what happened." He defended. "I was tricked. Laerrus used a…"

"It doesn't matter what 'happened,' " Biso snapped, "you tried to kill her. And I can't believe you would do that to someone so dedicated…"

"It was an accident!" Cell began yelling. "I didn't realize it was…"

"Stop it!" Masq shouted, ripping herself out of Biso's arms. "The both of you just stop it!" Biso looked at her, and held a hand out to her.

"Come with me, San." He invited. "If faced with the choice, I would rather kill myself than kill you. I would never do that to you, ever. You would be happy with me."

"You son of a bitch!" Cell yelled at Biso. They were attracting a crowd, but the audience was ignored. Cell looked at Masquerade. "Please, just listen to me, Masquerade. What happened was an accident. I didn't mean for that to happen."

"Will you both just leave me alone?!" Masq snapped, then she ran away from them with tears flowing from her eyes. Cell glared at Biso.

"You made her cry, you jerk."

"Me? You were the one who got her upset in the first place!"

"So, you told her I was going to be a monster again just to make her yours?" Cell snarled at him. "Masquerade is not so easily swayed."

"Yes, I know." Biso nodded. He watched Masq seek comfort from another priestess nearby. "Her heart is strong…but when stabbed in the right place, she is cut to pieces. And that's exactly what you did, Cell."

"You know who Laerrus is, don't you?"

"Of course, every Mononoke does. Why?"

"Besides San, you of all people should listen to what I have to say…"

/|\

Gohan, Kuririn, and Yamcha quickly ran into the temple. All three were carrying someone. Yamcha was carrying his horrified and sobbing sister, Rice. Gohan and Kuririn were carrying dead bodies. Gohan's eyes kept a small glitter of hope should it be not too late. He ran into the main chamber frantically.

"Help!" he cried out. "Someone help!"

"Is there a doctor in the house?!" Kuririn shouted out for help. Yamcha headed towards some of Rice's friends, and the group cried together since all of them was alright. Then, he saw Cell running towards them.

Uh oh, Yamcha thought, this is going to be bad…

"What's going on?" Cell demanded, then he froze at the sight as priestesses hurried to Gohan and Kuririn's sides. They checked the body that Gohan held for any signs of life, then they shook their heads in failure.

It was Piccolo.

No…

He looked at the body Kuririn held close, and felt absolutely crushed.

It was 18.

"You gotta help her!" Kuririn hurried a priestess looking for signs of life. "She's pregnant! She has to be alive! There has to be a way!"

"She's dead, sir." The priestess shook her head. "I'm sorry."

"Oh no…" Kuririn sobbed, resting his cheek by the cold, dead one of his wife. Tears resumed trickling down Cell's cheek as though there was no end to them. He walked to 18's body, holding in his sobs of grief and inner pain. Kuririn immediately heard Cell coming and backed away, holding 18 to him.

"Stay away!" Kuririn barked. "Leave her alone!"

"18…" Cell sniffed, holding out a hand to her. "No…"

"Stay back!" Kuririn warned, powering up a ki blast in one hand. "Stay away from her!" Cell lowered his head, and stepped away backwards. Kuririn powered down the blast, and resumed mourning over his wife. Cell's eyes wandered back to the dead Piccolo. Although Piccolo was once his enemy…Cell felt as though he had lost a good friend. Then, he looked to Gohan, who was doing his best to hold in his emotions but tears were racing down his face. Cell stood next to the boy, and crossed his arms.

"I'm sorry, Gohan." Cell said quietly.

"Yeah." The boy choked, wiping some tears away with his fist. "He saved me…and the light got him. I was about to take off, when Piccolo suddenly grabbed my arm and threw me into the air. Then, the light came, and he fell over dead, along with other people." He sniffed a couple of times. "He's always had to save me…and a lot of times he risked his life for me…and once he died for me. But why would you care? You like watching people die…"

Cell smiled weakly.

"So you think I haven't changed either, huh?"

Gohan looked up at him, and saw that Cell had been crying.

"Cell…"

"A lot of people I had the pleasure to meet died tonight…and I can only blame myself…and I didn't enjoy a moment…" He looked around through the crowds. "…and I'm not enjoying this…"

"It's almost like the past is repeating itself…" Gohan mourned silently. "All these people…afraid of what will happen…praying for those who died…"

Gohan's first remark made Cell think of what he saw back at the Shishi Gami realm. Akimo was being absorbed into Surreal's body…just like…it reminded him of…

………

"Rejoice my brother and sister," Cell announced to 17 and 18, "for our time has come. The three of us are like pieces to a puzzle meant to fit together and form one whole. Unite with me, and together as one we will fulfill Dr. Gero's dream of creating the ultimate warrior."

17 frowned at Cell's words.

"It's a nice offer, but no thanks." The android spat. "I don't need you. This is what I am and you can't change that."

"It doesn't matter what you think you are!" Cell sneered, pointing his tail at 17's throat. "You are a part of me and I am going to absorb you!" 17 crouched in a fighting position in response.

"Well, why don't you take your best shot, Cell?!"

Cell smirked at that.

"Hmmm…yes, I will."

………

Cell had succeeded in absorbing both 17 and 18…both were transferred to separate reservoirs in his body and he fed off their everlasting power. But a hard hit from Gohan in the Cell Game forced him to distract 18, and that happened because she and 17 were both still intact in his body. Another hit from Gohan, and 17 would have come out the same way 18 did.

If Surreal was the same case…

Was it possible…?

He quickly ran to the chamber center where Rhapsody was still waiting for a good idea of what to do. Cell went up to her.

"San Rhapsody," he addressed, "I think I have an idea."

"Anything is welcomed." She sighed. "What are you planning, Cell?"

"I was there when both Laerrus and Akimo became the Night Walker. Laerrus absorbed Akimo into her body, but he was unwilling to let it happen. Do you think it's possible to separate Akimo from Laerrus and make them two separate spirits again?"

Rhapsody looked rather astonished before she turned her head away from him in thought.

"It's possible." Masq said, coming out from the crowd to the center of the chamber. "They can be separated, but it's very risky."

"It sounds like the only thing we can do." Rhapsody nodded. "Masquerade, please tell us how it's done."

Masq unsheathed her knife.

"I can cut open the Night Walker and release Akimo. The Night Walker will change back to two separate beings, and the effects it has caused will be reversed. However, I'll need the ghost powder to put on the knife or it won't work."

"Fetch it!" Rhapsody ordered to a priestess. The fetcher quickly ran out of an exiting hall to go get the blue substance.

"It's also not that simple either." Masq continued. "I need the Walker to hold still while I cut it. It needs to be unable to move, beaten or held down will do. I need a brave soul to come with me."

It was quiet for a moment, then Cell stepped in front of her.

"I'll do it." He volunteered.

Masq ignored him.

"Is there anyone who would be so brave and kind to come with me?" she called into the chamber.

Cell glared at her.

"Are you still mad at me?" he demanded. She narrowed her eyes at him.

"Word has already gone around about what you did!" she said to him. "I'd be amazed if anyone here doesn't sympathize with you!"

"And now you're turning everyone against me?! San, I can't believe you…"

"Not now…" Rhapsody tried to separate. "San Masquerade, will you be able to do this?"

"Sure." Masq nodded. "I just need someone to go with me." Cell angrily stepped right in front of her.

"Let me go with you, San! This is my fault, so let me help you!"

"No!" Masq snarled, swinging her knife sharply at him. "You'll try to kill me again!"

"San…"

"You monster! You backstabbing bastard! Why don't you kill everyone else here while you're at it! Go ahead and absorb them, you mother fu…"

"SAN!" Cell silenced. "Put those feelings aside and listen to me. You are going to need all the help you can get, and I can give it to you. Please let me help."

"Get the hell out of here!" Masq shouted. "Stay the hell away from me! I never want to see you again!"

Cell's anger melted away. He closed his eyes and lowered his head. She really meant it.

"San…" he said softly, "please don't be mad at me. It was an accident…"

"Shut up!" she shouted at him. "I don't wanna hear about it, you demon!"

"Yes, I am a demon…" he accepted. "There is a demon inside of me…inside you too. Don't let it take over your judgement, San." He took a step towards her. She gritted her teeth angrily and stepped back.

"Stay away from me!" she shouted, swinging her knife defensively. He ignored the knife, he ignored her anger…he just wanted to be near her, no matter what she said or did.

"I love you, San…"

"I hate you!" she shouted back. "I wish you'd die!" He outstretched his arms and walked towards her.

"San…"

"STAY BACK!" she shrieked, stabbing her knife into him. The steel shattered against the black shell of his chest. She stared at the empty hilt in her hand in horror just before Cell wrapped his arms around her and held her close in comfort.

"I'm sorry." He said to her. "I was tricked. I would rather let the universe collapse then kill you myself." Her emotions were getting the best of her, but she tried to keep her facts straight.

"You're a murderer! You said it yourself, remember?!" she shouted at him, trying to wiggle out of his grasp. "You're a bloodthirsty murderer! You're a criminal! You're an abomination! A liar, scoundrel…a disgrace to life itself!"

"You're everything to me." He retaliated gently.

"I'm…" she tried to retort. She paused for a moment as Cell parted from the hug and held her shoulders in his hands. She could see him crying. Her words were cutting in deeper than her knife did. Looking into his eyes, she could see…

He was telling the truth. Laerrus tricked him into killing you. It was an accident, and he would never hurt you on purpose. You are the only thing he has left in life. He loves you very much, and would lay down his own life for your safety.

"I'm…" she tried again, feeling the tears in her eyes. Faced with the truth, she jumped into his arms. "…an idiot…" She sobbed on her shoulder. "Can you forgive me, Seru?"

"Of course." He smiled.

"I'm sorry." She cried. "I don't hate you anymore…"

"Really?" He looked at her.

"Really." She nodded. "I love you so much, Seru."

"Oh San…" he sniffed, nuzzling her head. She turned to him, about to give him her first kiss…

"Uh, sorry to break up the romantic moment…" Rhapsody butted in, and they turned to her blushing. "…but if you guys don't hurry up with the plan, Laerrus will consume the whole mountain…possibly the whole world if she gets out of hand." Cell and Masq turned to each other, regaining their sense of duty.

"I need your help, Seru." Masq began. "Do you think you have the strength to at least hold the Night Walker still?"

Cell nodded.

"Let me at her."