Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Singing Mountain ❯ Chapter 20: Song of the Mountain ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Across the entire face of Singing Mountain, in the dead of night, chaos was quickly spreading. Creatures of the forest were running, scurrying, and galloping for their lives. The air was full of cries and shrieks of fear and confusion. Suddenly, a giant wave of light flowed across the ground like water, sucking the life out of anything and everything it touched. Animals fell over dead, the ground was stained a lifeless shade of maroon, and the trees withered away and turned the color of wet blood. Innocent kodama fell from their mother trees like lifeless flakes of snow, and then fell apart on the ground. Small spheres of light floated from the trees and animal carcasses, and traveled through the ground to the source of the chaos and death.

Floating in the very center of the Shishi Gami realm, over the large pool of water, stood the Mononoke god of death in her new flesh and blood. The Night Walker, as the entity of death was known to be called, would fling large bursts of light onto the ground, letting her power kill everything it touched. Her feminine laugh burst out into the air victoriously, with murderous glee in her antics. She was taking life from her victims, and absorbing them into her gel-like body. She gathered strength from the former life, making her attacks travel further and further up the mountain.

Laerrus, also known as Surreal, had revived the Shishi Gami and turned him into the deadly Night Walker. If her attacks didn't cease, she would consume the whole mountain…and possibly the whole world.

Two brave souls were on their way to save their home…

The priestess, San Masquerade…

…And the android, Cell.

Singing Mountain: Chapter 20

Masq held onto Cell's neck as he flew them both back to the Shishi Gami realm. They were safe from Surreal's attacks when they were in the air. Masq could see the Death's Light flow over the land smoothly, as though it was a crashing ocean wave on a beach. The green tree tops of the forest were still shriveling into a sickly brown and she felt her heart sink. Her home was dying, and all she could do was helplessly watch.

However, she and Cell weren't entirely helpless.

Cell had his hands, arms, and feet painted over with the deep blue Ghost Powder. Now, he was able to touch Surreal without being hurt. Since Surreal was once a demon spirit, touching her would burn him greatly. Now, he could hurt her with the smallest chance of harm coming to himself. Masq was armed only with her crystal dagger. It was the same blue color as the Ghost Powder, so she could cut Surreal easily.

"So what's the plan again?" Masq asked Cell over his shoulder. He glanced at her.

"I'm going to try and beat Surreal enough for her to hold still. I don't know if I can kill her, but I may try if I can't keep her alive…"

"No!" Masq snapped. "If you kill Laerrus, you may also kill Akimo and we can't have that!"

"Right." Cell nodded. "Well, I'll try to make sure she holds still. Then, you come and cut her open with your dagger and do what you have to do. Akimo should come back, right?"

"Yeah." Masq nodded once. She turned her eyes back to their destination, the center of the destruction. "Will you be okay? I'm worried that you might…"

"You worry about bringing Akimo back." Cell suggested, suddenly hovering in mid air over a huge, dead tree. "I'll worry about everything else. Here." He set her on a thick and supportive branch and she sat upon it. "Can you see her from here? We're pretty close."

"I can see the pool." Masq nodded. "And there she it."

"Stay up here until I give you the signal." Cell suggested. "Then come down and do your thing." He was about to fly off when Masq stopped him.

"Seru…"

He looked at her over his shoulder, and smiled in assurance.

"I'll be fine." He insisted with a wink. "Just wait for my signal."

"Seru…"

"Yes, San?"

"What is the signal?"

"Uh…" Cell went blank. He hadn't thought of that… "Well," he resolved, "you'll know it when you see it." He winked again. "I love you, San."

"I love you too, Seru." Masq smiled after him. Then, Cell took off for the realm. Masq watched him leave, and sighed.

Here we go…

/|\

Just as Surreal flung another Death's Light across the landscape, something behind her caught the corner of her eye. She looked over her shoulder, and found Cell hovering over the bank and staring at her in absolute hatred. In her current form, she had no face, but she was smiling very wide.

Oh look, he's still alive. Hello, Cell. How's your girlfriend?

"That's none of your concern." Cell growled at her.

I see you've been painted for the occasion. Feeling a little…'blue?' Heh, heh…bad joke, I know, but it was left wide open.

Cell wasn't laughing or smiling. Fancies of how he would kill Surreal played through his head. He clutched his painted fist as he continued to stare with no interrupting blinks.

"You are a virus, do you know that?!" he spat at her. "Do you have any idea how many people you've murdered tonight?"

I don't really care. Surreal smiled at him. But I got more than you…and in record time! Hee, hee, hee!

"And you're not just guilty of mass murder…" Cell went on. "…you've been attacking me personally. You tried to kill me, stole my power from me, attack innocent people…" He paused a minute before continuing. "…but worst of all…you subconsciously manipulated me to kill the woman I loved! So this is personal, Laerrus!"

Again, I don't really care. My plan went off without a hitch, so none of that matters anymore.

"Plan?"

Everything you said…trying to kill you, attacking innocent people…my goal was to be alive again, and I could do it through you, Cell. I made a plan to get you attached to one of the priestesses here. How could you not, since 90% of the people here are women?! Then, the chosen apple of your eye would meet a tragic end and Akimo would rush to help her…flushing him from hiding from me, and I could merge with him and resurrect the Shishi Gami.

"So…San and I…you just…"

Yep. Surreal beamed, flashing Cell a peace sign. You and your girlfriend were just puppets of my master plan! And the plan worked, now I am alive, and life and death are mine to command!

Cell could hardly comment. He was fuming in anger. He clenched his fists so tight that they bled. His eyes were burning in rage. He could feel his ki rise dramatically, causing the land to rumble under his feet. Surreal was quick to notice this.

You don't like hearing this… She waved a hand at him enthusiastically. Oh, cheer up! You should be honored, Cell. You helped me achieve resurrection!

"You are sick…"

You should talk. Didn't you feel this way when you became perfect? I remember that day well.

"What?"

Surreal began her second story.

I remember the day you became perfect, Cell. The whole planet was shaking. Even here, on Singing Mountain, your power could be felt. It was so strong, the power was palpable in the air. In fact, your power was so strong that the seal holding me in that damn cave broke open and let me free. I was free to leave, since running water would stop a spirit but not a god. After a year of wandering the world, trying to figure out what it was that freed me, I found out that it was you.

The moment I found out it was your power that broke my weak seal, I quickly went to the afterlife to find you. After I was successful in that, I brought you back to life and my plan began to take shape. So, you became my main pawn and your girlfriend my secondary tool. You really should thank me…you really wanted to come back to life, and here you are.

Cell just couldn't believe his ears. It really was all his fault that Surreal was here and wrecking havoc…He narrowed his eyes in anger, and powered up his ki to its fullest. The ground shook more violently, and sparks of ki shot from his fingers and snaked up his arms. Surreal cocked her head to the side curiously.

What's wrong? You feel like fighting? Well, what are you waiting for? Bring it on! The most you'll do is wear out your anger, I guarantee you won't win.

Cell lunged for her with a roar of fury. Surreal strained her fingers like claws and prepared for the coming attack.

Fight with fists? Okay! You're definently going down now!

/|\

Ghen could feel the ground shake under his paws. The puppies whimpered in fear, snuggling up into his fur. The priestesses and villagers were murmuring among themselves in fear while some of the fighters from off the mountain were looking out at the land below. The ones named Kuririn, Gohan and Yamcha were crowded by the front door, talking to each other quietly. Ghen's sensitive ears could pick up their conversation.

"The attacks stopped. I wonder why?"

"I dunno, Gohan. Maybe the Night Walker got all the energy it needed?"

"Hey, Yamcha?"

"Yeah, Kuririn?"

"That one priestess said that the monster turned into something during the day and would stop attacking. What was that creature?"

"The god of life, the Shishi Gami. He controlled all life and death when he was alive. During the day, he looked like a deer with the face of a human. At night, it turned into the Night Walker, but I haven't heard any stories about it hurting anybody…except the night the Shishi Gami died."

"So…maybe if we wait for day, then the Night Walker will turn back to the Shishi Gami and the attacks will stop for sure? It's only an hour until dawn…"

"Sorry, Gohan. When night comes back, the Shishi Gami will just turn back into the Night Walker and keep killing."

Suddenly, San Rhapsody joined the group.

"Six thousand years ago, the Night Walker was as gentle and forgiving as the Shishi Gami, and did not take away life unless it was deemed necessary. It's unnatural for the Night Walker to be acting this way. Something must have taken over its will."

Gohan looked up at the high priestess.

"Like what?" he asked.

"Well, Cell said that Laerrus and Akimo merged together, but Akimo was unwilling to do so. Maybe…Laerrus has complete control of the Shishi Gami's body. She probably won't become the Shishi Gami at all by sunrise."

"Uh oh." Yamcha bit his lip.

"Oh man…" Kuririn shivered. "I hate this…and I can't believe there's nothing we can do…"

They were silent for a minute, then Gohan spoke up.

"As weird as this sounds guys…I want to help Cell."

He was given very weird looks. Gohan looked back at all of them in determination.

"We all hate having to wait on the sidelines, helpless to do anything. How do we know we truly are helpless until we get out there and do something?! Guys, we're the strongest fighters on the planet Earth! Can't we do something to help?"

"We can't fight it…" Yamcha shook his head. "Even if we put Ghost Powder on us, the Night Walker is unlimited power made up of life and death itself." Not liking the sound of that, Kuririn hung his head in acceptance that he couldn't be of any help. Gohan did the same. Rhapsody lowered her head for a moment before bringing it back up suddenly.

"Even though we can't fight," she began, "we can still help."

"Huh?" the men around her wondered. Ghen turned his head to her with a questioning whimper. The high priestess turned her head to him and smiled.

"I have an idea…"

/|\

Cell flung the fastest and hardest punches he could at Surreal, but she was able to block them all and counter with her own moves. Her earlier statements were right: she had fighting moves that would put the Special Forces to shame. She was able to dodge Cell's lunges and attacks and hit him with fast and hard blows. And if she kept her hand on his skin long enough, she would sprout demon tendrils and burn his flesh severely. Sometimes, he would fall in the water and take a few seconds before coming back up to the surface. Surreal kept hovering in the water, her gel-like body completely intact.

Suddenly, after Cell fell in the lake, he jumped out of the water and chopped down on her shoulder, separating her arm from her body. Surreal gave out an unearthly shriek that dulled itself to a loud growl. She sharply turned her head to him before a huge mass of demon tendrils surged from her wound and completely engulfed Cell's chest. He quickly flew backward from her, and chopped the slimy binds with his hand. Surreal's end of the tendrils shrank back and formed themselves into another arm. The burning binds around Cell grew longer and started to wrap around his body.

"HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Cell roared out into the air, greatly increasing his ki. His fiery aura burned off the tendrils and deteriorated them into nothing. Burned badly all over his body, Cell tumbled to his knees on the bank and fell over face first into the water. Surreal laughed in triumph behind one modest hand.

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA! I told you that I would win, but I bet that you worked off all that access anger. So, how do you feel now, Cell?

Cell quickly planted his hands firmly on the mossy ground and lifted his head out of the water. Cold beads of water dripped off his headcrest and rolled down the burns on his back and chest. That hurt very much, and he gritted his teeth in pain, growling. He tried to stand up, but his burned legs and feet couldn't take the weight. He could only raise himself to his hands and knees, bending his head over as though he was bowing to someone. He was weak again…he was too badly injured to even move…

Just like how I was when I first came here…

This can't be happening to me again…

Enough playing around. Surreal decided, walking along the surface of the water to Cell. Your purpose has been fulfilled, and I no longer have a need for you. It's time to go.

Cell could only breathe out of his mouth. He was too badly hurt to even talk. He raised his head slightly to see Surreal standing before him, holding his open palm to him. She was most likely going to blast him to bits.

Just like what Gohan did to me a year ago…

Oh God, this can't be happening to me again…

Any last words before I send you back to hell where you belong?

I refuse to give up…Cell measured in his head, staring at Surreal hard. I will keep fighting…this is war…and I will fight her with the last of my strength, and I will never give up.

He tried to breathe words out of his mouth…he had a particular thing to say to her…but he wasn't sure if he could say it in his condition…let alone be able to…

"Hi…Hito…" Cell breathed out of his mouth as he tried to stand up. Surreal blinked at him curiously as Cell strained to push himself to his feet. "Hito…tsu…futa…tsu-uu wa…" Then, the melody of his words flowed out of his mouth easily as he stood painfully on his two feet. "Akago mo fumuga…mittsu yottsu wa…oni mo naku, na-aaku…tatara o-onna wa kogane no nasake…tokete nagarerya…yaiba ni-ii kawa-aru…"

Surreal burst out laughing, stumbling back a few steps in astonishment.

Oh dear God! The marching song? Oh man…oh man…hoo! Gotta breathe…this is really funny! They brainwashed his mind! Oh man…

Cell ignored her. He felt his determination grow so strong that the pain seemed to just disappear. He felt the words flow out of his mouth in song, ignoring if he sounded good or not. The priestesses sung this song before marching into battle, keeping their pace and working together to get to their destination and defeat their enemy. It was a declaration of war, and that was what Cell wanted to bring out. Surreal was too busy laughing to understand this. He just kept singing, growing louder and more strong with each note.

"Hitotsu futatsu wa akago mo fumuga
Mittsu yottsu wa oni mo naku, naku
Tatara onna wa kogane no nasake
Tokete nagarerya yaiba ni kawaru."

Alright, that's enough. Surreal decided, holding her hand back out to Cell. You're not a very good singer. And if those are your last words, then so be it. See ya la…what the? She blinked to an area behind Cell. Cell turned around and found Masquerade walking into the realm, holding her crystal dagger in her hand, and singing along with Cell.

"Hitotsu futatsu wa akago mo fumuga, mittsu yottsu wa oni mo naku, naku…"

Cell smiled at her, then turned back to Surreal. They both sang together in equal chorus. "…Tatara onna wa kogane no nasake, tokete nagarerya yaiba ni kawaru."

So you're both here. Surreal grinned. Okay, I'll kill two birds with one stone…literally. You'll both be together in death!

Suddenly, a whole wave of voices washed through the realm. The voices of priestesses and wolves rang out from all corners of the pool.

"Hitotsu futatsu wa akago mo fumuga
Mittsu yottsu wa oni mo naku, naku
Tatara onna wa kogane no nasake
Tokete nagarerya yaiba ni kawaru."

The priestesses and their wolves stood along the banks of the pool, completely surrounding it. Surreal looked around in confusion. She was beginning to feel frightened.

Didn't I kill you all? What are you all doing here?!

Cell looked around the realm in amazement. He could see everyone! He could see Rhapsody, Ghen, Tori, Yume, Moro-sama's puppies, Amon, Amaroq, little Kago, and even Biso was there singing with the rest of them. Then came another chorus of voices. Into the barrier of singing priestesses came the surviving members of the raven clan. Suzaku and Sir Marcus were among those most noticeable to Cell. He could hear their voices blend into the song.

"Hitotsu futatsu wa akago mo fumuga
Mittsu yottsu wa oni mo naku, naku…"

More familiar voices began to join in. Cell could see Kuririn, Yamcha, and Gohan enter the circle and sing along. He smiled at them, and at their bravery.

"…Tatara onna wa kogane no nasake
Tokete nagarerya yaiba ni kawaru."

Cell then joined back into the chorus, smiling proudly. The entire mountain had come together to contain this evil and save their land. Friend and foe were standing side by side, working together just as the song was urging them to do. The voices rang out across the dead land, calling for partnership and brotherhood (sisterhood in the case of the priestesses). The song preached to continue moving foreword through tears and toil, through sweat and blood, and through hardships and hatred. The song demanded unity and peace through the hard work and dedication of its listeners, to work together and form a single goal. Cell watched the meaning of the song unfold as he and others sung it towards a confused and frightened Surreal.

So this is why the priestesses chose this song to be theirs…

In those few precious moments, the entire mountain seemed to be singing along with the people.

In those few precious moments…peace was born.

/|\

Suddenly, Cell turned to Masq and got her attention. She looked at him, and his eyes reminded her of the mission. She nodded back in understanding, and waded into the water. Quick as the blink of an eye, Cell lunged across the water and locked Surreal in a tight choke hold. He held her arms together with one of his own, and crossed his legs over her knees to keep her from trying to kick. While Surreal was held tight, Masq crawled up Cell's legs and stood on his feet while holding onto support on his shoulder. Surreal tried to move, but Cell's grip was too strong. It was time to undo what was done.

Masq held up the crystal dagger, and jabbed it into Surreal's throat. As Surreal cried in pain, Masq drew the dagger down Surreal's middle gently. Out of the gash spilled another body and it landed on the water's surface as though it was ground. The Night Walker body Surreal inhabited shrank down and became solid like skin. She turned back into her normal human form under Cell's grasp. Masq looked down at the fallen body as it rose to its feet.

It was Akimo, showing Cell and Masquerade a thankful smile.

Uh oh… Surreal gulped. I'm in trouble…

Akimo bowed in thanks to Cell and Masq, then flashed angry eyes at Surreal. The death god began to panic, trying to wiggle out of Cell's grasp.

Oh no! I…I'm too injured to disapperate! I can't escape.

"No, you're not." Cell shook his head. "You're not going anywhere…except maybe back to Kage's cave."

Akimo shook his head at Cell, then walked up to Surreal. For a moment, pure fear grew on Surreal's face.

What? What did you say?

Akimo stopped walking close enough to Surreal that their noses were almost touching. Immediately, Surreal tried to fight her way out of Cell's strong arms.

NO! No, you can't! You can't! Listen! Akimo! Brother! Don't do this to me!

Akimo began to reach a hand out to Surreal. Cell looked over at Masq's face and she looked back.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"I'm not sure…" Masq shook her head. She then wrapped her arms around his neck carefully. "…but I think Akimo is going to give her a fate worse than death."

Suddenly, Akimo spoke up.

The good to bad, he said out of his mouth, the bad to good. The bad has been conquered, and now it is time for the good.

Please, no! Surreal shrieked in fear. Don't do this to me! Akimo!

Akimo put both of his hands on either side of Surreal's face and leaned himself foreword. Cell realized it instantly.

"He's merging into her!" he cried out. He expected to watch Surreal melt onto Akimo's flesh…but instead…

As he touched her skin, a bright light shone from his hands and a tremendously strong gust of wind blew between Cell and Masquerade's embrace. Both of them were flung on either side of the lake and knocked into still standing trees. Cell was knocked unconscious as the wind and light flowed over the land. The entire mountain was covered in a bright light that lasted only for a second. The wind blew through the priestesses and wolves, and everyone struggled to stay on their feet.

"Everyone hang on!" Rhapsody shouted into the crowd. Gohan quickly transformed into a Super Saiyan to keep his feet on the ground. The wolves lowered their heads and whimpered in fear.

After a few moments of lingering, the light faded and the wind died down.

It was all over.

/|\

Then the sun came up, and everyone could see the land clearly. Before the eyes of the amazed priestesses, the green of the plants and trees grew back. The leaves of the trees blossomed out into full canopies, the moss regained its healthy color, the flowers perked back up and bloomed in colorful bunches…the dead animals slowly rose to their feet and looked around in wonder.

Some relieved and happy laughter bubbled among the priestesses as they watched their land come back to life. Many jumped up and down for joy, hugging each other. Wolves barked happily, nuzzling each other in relieve even. Yume found a butterfly resting on a newly resurrected flower, and barked at it, chasing it around the realm as though nothing happened. Happiness filled the realm as everyone watched life return.

Rhapsody's eyes were glued to the center of the realm where Akimo had melded into Surreal's body. Standing in their place was a creature that had been dead for six thousand years. It stood on all fours, had lizard like feet, and a huge body of fur. It was shaped like a dear, with a single, huge horn that branched out like a massive tree. Its head was that of a human with large blue eyes, red skin, and tiny blue stripes across its cheeks. She had only seen it in pictures back at the temple, and read about it in the demon scroll…

"Shishi Gami-sama…" she breathed.

The god of life was reborn.

The effects of Surreal had been reversed and life had returned to Singing Mountain.

/|\

Cell's eyes opened as he regained consciousness. He sat up from the ground, and rubbed his aching head. Then, the sweet fragrance of flowers and tree sap filled his nose and he looked around. He remembered the realm to be dead and colored a lifeless brown, but it was now beautiful and healthy green. He smiled. Surreal was gone, and life came back. He looked around, seeing the many happy faces around him. His smile grew larger. Those that died would come back to life now as though they had been resurrected with the dragonballs.

Everything was back to normal.

"Hey Cell!" he heard Gohan call. Cell turned his head to the boy, who was jogging to him smiling. "You did it! I can't believe it! You're a hero, Cell!"

"This is gonna sound weird…" Kuririn sighed as he came to Gohan's side. "…but…the mountain is saved because of you." He chuckled nervously before continuing. "I guess you're not such a bad guy after all…" Cell closed his eyes and smiled.

"Thank you, both." He accepted. "But I can't take all the credit. Rather, I helped save the mountain with the priestesses. Thank you both for helping me."

"Hey, no problem." Yamcha smiled, walking behind Gohan and Kuririn. "Anything for you and your girlfriend. Speaking of which, where is she?" Cell stood up and scanned the crowds for her. He found her lying on the other side of the lake and he flew to her.

"San!" he called to her, kneeling by her side. She wasn't responding. He shook her by her shoulders. "San, wake up. Look around. We did it, San. We did it, Surreal has been defeated…" She still wasn't responding. He put his hand on her neck for a pulse, but he didn't feel anything. She wasn't breathing either…

She was dead.

Then it hit Cell…

She was dead before Surreal became the Night Walker. The Death's Light killed all that was alive…but putting a death spell on something already dead brings it back to life. That was what Surreal did to me…

So, the Death's Light brought Masq back to life…

And Surreal's spell has been reversed…

Then…

Oh no…

"San! No!" Cell cried, falling next to Masq's side. He looked at her from one eye, and felt like he was going to cry again. "Don't die, San! Please…San!"

Then, he heard footsteps behind him. He lifted his head and looked. He saw the Shishi Gami walking towards them, and large bushels of exotic flowers grew from its step then died away as it raised its foot. It stood over San Masquerade's body for a moment, looking at her. The impulse to escape quickly rushed over Cell, and he backed away in panic, looking at the god's face. It looked like it was smiling wide. It turned to look at Cell for a moment, then its smile grew wider.

"A…Akimo?" Cell whispered.

The creature turned back to the body, and lowered its neck to her head. It seemed to blow a gentle breath across her eyes, and then slowly lift its head back up and take a few steps back. Cell watched the Shishi Gami walked back over the water just like Akimo and Surreal could do. Then, he turned his eyes back to Masq as he heard something like a sleepy moan.

Then, Masq slowly opened her eyes and groggily raised herself to a sit.

"What…" she said slowly, "what happened?"

"San…" Cell breathed in disbelief. The god of life brought Masq back as a reward for helping him. He quickly ran to her and picked her up in his arms. "San! You're alive!"

"Seru?" Masq blinked. "What happened? What's going on?"

"We did it!" He laughed, twirling her around in the air. Her memory came back to her, and she laughed with him, hugging his neck.

"We did it! We did it!" Masq cheered, hugging Cell tightly. "Laerrus has been defeated! Since Akimo did the merging, he will be the dominant personality and not Laerrus! She's gone for good!" Then, they were still for a moment, and they gazed into each other's eyes lovingly. Cell brushed some stray hair from Masq's eyes with one hand.

"Thank you for letting me help you." Cell said softly. Masq turned her eyes down and blushed.

"I couldn't have done it without you." She admitted. She looked back up at him, then tied her crystal dagger around Cell's neck. "Hey, I want you to have this…" He smiled at her.

"Thank you. You have always wanted to give it to me…" his smile faltered a bit. "But…the first time you tried to give it to me…did you really…even in the…well…"

She smiled as she remembered back.

"Well…no, I wasn't really in love with you…but I did want to give you something before you left the mountain…but now since you aren't leaving…" She looked deep into his eyes, and put a hand softly on his cheek. "…are you going to stay here?"

Cell put his hand up and gently stroked the back of her hand with his fingertips.

"San, I promise to stay with you and to be with you forever." He vowed. Then, he held her close to him and leaned his head close enough for his nose to touch hers. "I promise to always be in love with you, San…even in death."

"Then…are we going to live happily ever after?" Masq smiled.

"Oh…for much longer." Cell agreed. He began to pull Masq into his first kiss, holding the back of her head with one hand and parting his lips.

Suddenly…

"MORO-SAMA!" Masq cried, tearing out of Cell's embrace and running to another bank of the lake. Cell fell over in embarrassment.

"Dammit…" he moaned. "Of all times…" He looked up and found Masq hugging the giant Moro-sama's muzzle happily.

"We were all so worried about you!" Masq pined over her god. Moro-sama then licked her giant tongue over Masq's body, causing the priestess to fall to the ground laughing. Other priestesses were gathering around Moro-sama, sharing their relief and gratefulness. Moro's puppies ran to their mother's feet, barking happily.

"Moro-mama!" Yume cried out happily. Moro lowered her head and licked Yume's fur in thankfulness. Yume licked her mother's nose and pressed her forehead into Moro's giant muzzle. Miaka laughed along with the other priestesses, glad to be back. Everything was just the way it should be.

/|\

Rhapsody patted Moro's snowy flank before walking over to the ravens.

"Sir Marcus…" she called out to the high priest. Marcus, seated on Suzaku's back, looked back at the priestess.

"Yes, San Rhapsody?" he called to her. She glared up at him.

"I just want you and Suzaku-sama to know…" she began, "…that no member of the raven clan is to come back to the Wolf Jaw ever again. Go back to the east, and never come back."

"I was just off to recall the rest of the army from the Mountain of the Tatara." Marcus nodded. "I promise that you will never hear from us again."

"And you will never be forgiven!" Rhapsody began to bark. "Especially you, Mar…"

"Ahem." Someone cleared his throat behind Rhapsody. She turned to see Sir Biso standing behind her and smiling. He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Remember what I told you last night, San?" he reminded. She rolled her eyes at him, and faced Marcus.

"Well…" she muttered, "…being a Mononoke…I am expected…to live up to my words…I forgive you for your past actions relating to my birth." She narrowed her eyes at him. "It will be a long time before your attack is forgiven, however."

"We understand." Suzaku nodded. "But Cell…" Just as he was speaking, the android was walking past them, headed for Moro-sama. He looked up at the bird, and then up at Marcus.

"The least you birdbrains owe me is a thank you." He reminded, walking away. If they did thank him, he ignored them completely.

Afterward, Suzaku took off flying in the air, taking Marcus with him. Rhapsody watched them go, and then Biso put an arm on her shoulder.

"Now that wasn't so hard, was it?" he asked. Rhapsody sighed and lowered her head.

"You don't understand anything…" she muttered.

/|\

Just as Masq began retelling what happened at the realm to the other priestesses, Cell snuck up behind her to finish what he had started. He grabbed her around the middle, and flew high up into the air, past all the tall trees and until the crowd below looked as small as ants. Masq hung onto Cell's neck during the flight up, screaming in surprise. Cell laughed at her as he hovered in the air, letting the breeze move them slightly.

"Hey!" Masq began to protest angrily at Cell.

Suddenly, he pressed his lips against hers. She seemed to instantly relax and she kissed him back, letting his hands wrap more tightly around her. They hung in the air, moving slightly in the breeze, absorbed in the moment. The whole world seemed to disappear around them, leaving only the two of them and their love.

This is right. Masq decided. This is what was meant to be…

Him and me…

Together…in love…

Forever…

/|\

Piccolo and 18 watched the young lovers kiss for the first time just a few yards away. 18 had to smile while Piccolo just watched on with no expression on his face.

"Aw, how cute." 18 admired Cell and Masq. "He really does love her." She blushed a bit, and then lowered her head a bit. "Even though I'll never forgive him for killing my brother…I wish the best for him in the future."

"Their future isn't all that clear to me." Piccolo admitted. "He doesn't belong here…and based on what happened tonight…" 18 looked at Piccolo with a distressed look on her face.

"Leave Cell alone." She begged. "Can't you see he's happy here? And he won't cause any trouble! He changed! Look at me! I changed when I met Kuririn, and we're going to have a baby in eight months!"

Piccolo glanced at her with one eye.

"Cell's fate is not mine to decide." He explained. 18 gave him a puzzled look.

"Piccolo-san!" Gohan's voice rung out over the tree tops. The boy flew to his Namekian mentor happily. "You're alright!"

"18!" Kuririn called from right behind Gohan. "Darling, are you okay? The baby…"

"I'm fine, dear." 18 smiled at her husband. "So is the baby." She hugged him tightly as Gohan pounced happily on Piccolo and wrapped his arms around his waist. So, the attention was taken off Cell and Masq further away.

They were still locked in their kiss, not wanting it to part…to end and let the moment drift away in time. However, their lips parted and they stared longingly into each other's eyes before bringing their lips back together again.

/|\

Now wait a minute! Hold everything!!!

No, this isn't Surreal talking, it's the author! I just wanted to say one thing. The story isn't over yet. There is an epilogue that will officially end the story of Singing Mountain. It's coming soon, so you won't have to wait long. Thanks for reading my fic!