Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Silent Prince, Perfect Collection 1 ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6

Two days had passed. Bulma herself came to the mountain bearing two bulging plastic bags full of heart medicines. She was delighted to meet Genji, but she made a rather rude first impression to the boy. Not only did she pine over how cute he was, but she also completely forgot that he was mute. He quickly straightened that out, and Bulma got down to business.

"I brought the best medicines I could get my hands on." She reported. "At least one of them should work. A lot of doctors didn't know what to make of your problem, Genji. They think it might be genetic."

So, Genji tried some of the medicines one after the other while Shichi oversaw the results. After another month, all the drugs were tested with no improvement to Genji's condition. Either the medicines did nothing or they made the burns worse. Bulma was starting to stress.

"I hope it's not genetic." She groaned to Genji one afternoon. "Then the doctors would have to change your DNA structure to cure you, and that practice was made illegal after the Cell Game."

Genji sighed, about to lose hope and accept his fate.

"Hey Genji," Bulma suddenly asked, "what do you know about the raven tribe?"

Genji raised an eyebrow at her. To answer her, he wrote down his response on a piece of paper:

"The ravens and the wolves were enemies. The priests and priestesses are Emishi warriors. Ashitaka was an Emishi prince, and a supporter of the raven tribe."

Bulma read his response.

"Enemies? Oh, never mind…"

He shook his head, and scribbled out his desired words:

"No, no, please tell me your idea."

"Well," Bulma bit her lip, "a doctor in China told me about the wise woman of the raven tribe. He said she could exorcise demons and cure any sickness. I don't trust that little story…but you might, since you're a Mononoke."

Genji thought for a moment, then wrote:

"I'll tell my mother. If this is true, I may have to go see this wise woman whether she is my enemy or not."

/|\

When Genji told Miaka about the wise woman, Miaka immediately said no. Genji argued with her that all other methods had failed and the ravens were the only option left. Miaka stated the obvious to argue with: the ravens and the wolves were bitter enemies. She feared for Genji's safety, not knowing what would happen to him if he went to the raven tribe by himself. He insisted that it was his only chance for survival.

He refused to listen to anyone else. He was going east to the raven clan.

The priestesses could only help him prepare to leave. They gave him food and supplies. Battle Master Natasha gave Genji all the arrows that would fit on the quiver attached to his belt.

"Here." Yamcha offered the boy a money pouch. "2,000 zeni. You might need it for the world outside. The people off the mountain depend on money for survival. I can tell you that by experience."

"These are from both Biso and me." Rhapsody explained, handing Genji six beautiful sand dollars that shone like silver. "He said that if there was a chance you were by a body of water and need help, throw one into the water and help will come. He also said not to get yourself killed because you would dishonor your mother." She smiled. "I wish you safe journey, Genji."

"Take these pain killers with you." Miaka suggested, handing Genji bottles of liquid painkiller and lots of small Shinto scrolls. "All of these should hold you over until you reach the ravens. Also, I want you to have this as your family keepsake." She gave him a half-face mask of a wolf priestess. "It was your mother's. She wore this before she became a high priestess. She wanted me to give it to Aoi, but I think it's fair that you have it." Genji nodded in agreement.

He sewed the mask onto a shroud of black wolf fur, and slipped the mask over his eyes. The shroud covered the top of his head, leaving most of his long blond hair not visible. He still wore his red kimono shirt along with his blue pants and black obi, and he adorned moccasin boots. He made sure his supplies were packed in a small item pouch and tied to his waist. He patted the quiver of arrows by his hip and gripped his bow with his left hand.

He was ready.

Before he left the mountain, however, he went to Moro-sama's den to bid her goodbye. She was not pleased with the news.

"Are you going alone?" she asked.

He nodded.

"On foot?"

**If I must.**

She barked at him in reprimand and bore her long teeth.

"I refuse to let you do either!" she scolded. "The ravens will not welcome you. You cannot face them alone. They will kill you."

Genji sighed, not in the mood to argue about the matter yet again.

**What do you suggest?!** he snapped. **That I stay here and die?! I refuse! I will find a way to live!** He began to march out of the cave. Moro leaned her head foreword, bit down on the back of Genji's shroud, and pulled him back to her.

"If not for my condition," she growled, "I would have gone with you. I insist a wolf should accompany you on your journey." She raised a head to her cubs, who were watching. "Yume-chan!"

"Yes, Moro-mama?" the snowy white wolf asked, panting out of her mouth.

"Young and energetic, brave and wise…I want you to take Genji to the raven tribe." Yume bent her head with a whimper.

"But the ravens are scary…" she protested.

"You will see him safely to the Emishi forests." Moro-sama explained. "Protect him from any danger. You are capable of it, fiercest of my children."

"Okay! I'll do it!" Yume barked proudly. Genji smiled at the wolf and patted her head. She yipped and wagged her tail.

**I guess I don't have a choice.** Genji sighed. **Yume, will you go with me?**

"Yeah!" she cheered. "I'll go anywhere you want to go, Genji!"

**Then let's go!**

"Genji!" Moro-sama stopped the boy before he could leave. "You leave with my blessing, but you must understand that the world off the mountain is vast and dangerous. You will see very strange and wondrous things in your travels. And many strangers may either trick you or help you, so you will be gambling with your trust and innocence. There may be those who will try to take benefit from your life, so keep those arrows close at hand. Beware, Genji, of this world you know nothing about."

**I promise to be careful, Moro-sama.** Genji nodded. **And I'll come straight back when I'm cured.** Moro-sama whimpered and licked Genji's face in concern. Genji smiled, opening his mouth as though he was laughing. After giving Moro-sama a farewell pat on the nose, Genji turned around to the cave mouth. Yume bounded next to him happily.

"Yay!" she cheered, barking in excitement. "Genji and I are going off the mountain! This'll be fun!" As soon as they were outside, Genji jumped onto Yume's back and grabbed thick tuffs of her fur to hang on to. In a matter of seconds, Yume ran off into the night, carrying Genji with her off Singing Mountain.