Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Personal ❯ Getting Close ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Er... Oh, look, a chicken! No, really, look! It's, oh my gosh, it's coming right at you! ...Darn. Some people are just too smart for their own good, I tell you. Princess Mononoke ain't mine.

A/N: Yup, I'm back again. Goodness, how long is this thing going to go on? When I first started it I was thinking three chapters tops, but it just sort of... grew, sweatdrop. Now there's probably going to be at least two more yet, probably three. Help; I set it up so I have to pass three week before I can write the harvest festival, and I have no idea what to do! Lol, no, I'll figure it out. But once again, at the offset of the chapter I have no clue what to write, eh heh. Will every chapter be like this? Could be. Could definetly be. Oh well; it's kind of like what the author of Please Save My Earth was talking about. I get to be the writer and a reader at the same time :) Enjoy the chappy, all. (And then when you're done go out and buy Please Save My Earth, because it's a really great series!)

XooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX
Chapt er Five: Getting Close
XooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX



T he next day the rain clouds were gone, and the world smelled clean. They left a warm front behind them, too, so that Eboshi led Ashitaka out to her newly-replanted garden for lunch. Ashitaka stared, wide-eyed, at all the food once it had been laid out. "I don't know if I can eat that much," he confessed.

She laughed. "Of course you can. It's good for you." She felt like a wife. She tried not to act too giddy.

He said a quick prayer and filled his plate before he spoke again. "What was it you wanted to speak to me about, my lady?" he asked.

She arched an eyebrow. "First of all, there's really no need to address me as 'my lady'. You were a prince where you came from, weren't you? You may call me by name."

He smiled awkwardly. "But... I don't want anyone to think I'm above them."

She stared for a moment, and shook her head. "You're really something; do you know that? Very well. Just call me by name in private." She paused to try an egg, chewing thoughtfully. In the end curiousity got the best of her. "Ashitaka... What happened out there? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, of course. It might make you feel better, though."

He stared at his food. "San has changed her mind about humans," he said quietly. "I just don't understand it; she's still trying to deny her humanity. I thought she was past that."

"Did she tell you why?" Eboshi asked, facinated. San was truely a strange one.

"Actually, yes." He pushed some rice around on his plate aimlessly. "I should have gone to see her sooner. She said that after a week she came looking for me, and she saw... some horrible things. Murder, rape. Some woman beating her dog." Eboshi grimaced. In her own villiage? Well, after all, it was too big to keep perfect order... Ashitaka sighed. "And then she had three more weeks to dwell on it... I guess she decided humans aren't worth the effort after all. And she looked so digusted with me, as if I defiled the forest..." It was at about this point that she realized he was crying. "I miss her..."

She hesitated a moment, and then wrapped an arm around him awkwardly. He looked a little startled, but didn't comment. She really wished she could say something, but holding him was the best she could do. If she could have spoken, perhaps she would have told him how very much she hated that wolf girl right now...

Xoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX

San whispered a quick appology to Shishigami, and wrenched her spear out of the great deer's carcass. They wouldn't need another kill for days after this. It was huge! And what a chase it had been! But between the two wolves and herself, it hadn't had a chance in the end.

He siblings started dragging it in the direction of the lair, and she followed behind. She was completely content, she told herself. There was food, and yesterday's rain had washed the forest clean and made it even more beautiful than before. Little kodama waved greatings to her as she went past. Warm sunlight filtered through the trees.

In fact, the only thing wrong with the world at all was the fact that she could occasionally smell on the wind the scent of the city. She wondered how all those humans could live packed so close together, like... and a trecherous little part of her said, like they enjoyed each others' company?

Xoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX

The weeks passed. Ashitaka was kept busy, because it was harvest time now. It was nice to have work to do. Gradually the sadness let up somewhat, largely thanks to Lady Eboshi's company. He was surprised by that. He wouldn't have expected her to have time to take such a personal interest in his affairs, or even want to, but she seemed to really enjoy making him feel better. She came off as very cruel sometimes, but he was beginning to think that underneith she had a kind heart after all.

In fact, as the harvest festival approched he found he hardly thought of San more than a few times a day now. Mostly he just didn't have time. One night he stood on the wall and looked out over the forest while he was waiting for Eboshi, and he wondered what she and her wolf-siblings were doing, but he supposed it didn't really matter. It was good that he wasn't thinking about her so much. He liked humans, after all, the same as he liked the creatures of the forest. He knew they weren't all good, but they weren't all bad either. San saw things in black and white. To be honest, he was feeling a little disappointed in her.

Then he heard someone call him name. It was Eboshi; he smiled slightly as he went down.

They bowed to each other, and began. Lady Eboshi gave him a light blow to the neck almost immediatly by saying, "Do you miss her?"

He didn't answer for a few moments. When he finally spoke, he smiled sadly as he said, "I always will. But only a little. If she doesn't want to see me again, then I will respect that." He chuckled. "And I have you to thank for that, of course. You've been very kind to me."

Did she actually just blush? Good grief... Well, at least it was dark. "It was nothing. I... enjoyed the company."

"Oh, good," he said happily. "I was afraid I was an inconvience. I enjoyed it too."

And she was so startled that he sent her sword flying out of her hand, but she just laughed.

Xoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX

A/N: (beam) Ah, success, another chapter! Y'know, as I sit here, starving slowly but too lazy to get up and feed myself, I am accutely aware that it will probably be over a month before I actually post this. It's so hard for me to get to a computer with internet, for many complicated reasons, so I could only physically post once or twice a week, and I don't want to post the whole story at once or it won't get any reviews. I mean, be honest, would you read a story with seven chapters and no reviews? So by the time I post this chapter, the whole story will probably be long done. @.@ It makes my head hurt just thinking about it! R&R?