Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Princess Mononoke Rebirth ❯ His Reason ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

His Reason
 
The day was still young, but the young warriors were already exhausted. San had finally given up the need to vomit and was left with a dry throat, Motoko and Ashitaka panted and heaved in air down into their lungs. He then turned to Motoko, and she stared back.
“San, I want to speak with Motoko alone.” San immediately obeyed his command and ran around the house gasping for air. Motoko turned worried at what will Ashitaka will forcefully investigate on her. He then walked up to her with a quickened pace, she backed up close to the wall as Ashitaka surrounded her.
“Is there something that you're not telling me Motoko?” he firmly asked her with quite a cold tone.
“I know nothing.”
“Don't lie to me!” he yelled at her. “No one can do that to another human without demon force! What do you know of Sasuke?!” he suddenly turned sadistic in his voice.
“He caught the demon curse, that's what. And he's on a killing spree because of it. And that's why I'm tracking down; to kill him to save others. The same curse you once had.”
“What?” Ashitaka had gone pale and sick in his tone of voice. Then Motoko shoved him up against the wall; gripping onto him tightly and then pulled out his right arm. She then brought out one of her daggers. “No!” he pleaded, but she tore up the navy blue sleeve that hid away the scar on his hand.
“Don't think I didn't saw it when I bandaged you up from your little scrap against Sasuke! That's why I'm not taking any chances.” She then drew out her pistol and aimed at Ashitaka's head.
“Motoko, what are you doing?!”
“When Sasuke had the curse, the virus turned him immortal and unstable so I can't kill him with a single shot. Now I finally confronted you, I best kill you to save me any hassle in the future.” Motoko's eyes turned stale and vivid as she drew the gun closer to Ashitaka's forehead.
“But I am rid of it!”
“You may think so, but there are countless cases of people like you turning into homunculi like Sasuke. Once you caught it, it can't be taken away; no matter what, the virus still lingers through your veins. It can take form on any random hour, that's why I'm saying I'm not taking any chances.” Ashitaka then looked at Motoko deeply as if he was trying to get through to her.
“People are different Motoko. You can't judge me on that.”
“Maybe not, but I can judge on you Emishi's.” His eye pupils grew small and his skin turned white. “I know who you are; olive brown skin, grey eyes, eastern. Ring any sirens?”
“Motoko, are now discriminating me on what tribe I came from?”
“Yes; you people killed mine and my father. Therefore you must die!”
Suddenly, from the behind, San pushed Motoko aside; knocking the gun out from her hand and held onto her wrists.
“Run Ashitaka! Find Sasuke!” she shouted out to him.
“Right!” He then began to run back to Irontown with his heavy feet.
“Don't take my retribution away from me!” San then raised her fist and firmly punched Motoko across the face, which then made her fall down onto the floor unconscious. Drips of blood trickled a little onto her chin from the cut on her lower lip that was made.
“I've always wanted to do that.” San quietly chuckled.
 
Ashitaka ran through the forest that was restored by the sacrifice of the Forest Spirit. He kept running through pathways and then began to hesitate.
“Where am I? I think I'm lost.” He whispered to himself. He started to look around vividly and worryingly. Sweat trickled down the side of his head. Heart rate pulsed faster and faster with every thump. His Eyes started to quiver to the horror of something trapping inside this jungle prison. He started to slowly take small steps backwards; he turned his body, and saw the ghostly image of Sasuke. He jerked back and nearly choked on the last breath he just took in. He then stood up straight and looked at Sasuke directly in the eye as he too stared back at Ashitaka.
“You want to know what happened, don't you?” he asked Ashitaka.
“Yes.” He spoke after a short pause. Sasuke then slowly walked away from him at a short pace, and at about three meters he stopped. A long hiatus filled the thrilling scene.
“It happened three years ago.” Sasuke finally began, and then turned to Ashitaka. “I lived in a village that also inhabited near demon territory. Some children got caught in a different forest. I tried to ware the beast off, but…I acted too soon.” He took another pause and began speaking again. “Few people managed to survive the curse. But died shortly after. So others then wanted to go under the knife; take out the virus. But humans shouldn't tamper with what they can't handle.”
“And that's what happened to you?” Ashitaka asked.
“No. I thought that people turned after the curse was lifted off them. I turned to surgery; to take away the poison. But they lied to me. They said that they were going to fix me. But they wanted to use me for other purposes; like a test rat. But I will not be treated that way!”
Another pause echoed the air.
“Motoko lied to me.”
“No. She only said what she thought. She was deceived too. Such a strong woman but too blind to see what's underneath it all. I sometimes wish…that I can love her. And that she will love me in return.”
“You can do that still!” Sasuke then ran towards Ashitaka, pushed him against the bark of a tree and gripped onto his collars.
“Are you just too damn hard to teach?! Not only did those lying bastards lied to me; they changed by whole life; changed my personality! They turned me into this hideous monster that I am now! And the one inside me adores taking control over me! Can't you see?! I can't be nice! Not for one bit! You would be dead by now if Motoko hadn't found me!”
“But that wasn't meant to happen. You said it yourself back before.” Ashitaka counter argued back.
“Even if I didn't have my powers, I still would have defeated you.” Ashitaka then scoffed and pushed Sasuke back in order for him to let go.
“How dare you be so egotistical! I am in your league and I can take you on any day!”
“What about today? Right now? I'll show you that I can beat you, without my other forces.”
“Fine.” Ashitaka harshly replied. Then raindrops started to sear down from the sky like an army of broken glass plummeting from up above.
Ashitaka and Sasuke were then found in an open area near a lake. The setting was grey and blurry, and the cloud merged in together as they shower down shattered fragments of mirror down onto earth. Then rain dampened the two men's bodies as Ashitaka stood with his blue kimono off and bare chest in the rain, and Sasuke with his grey kimono off too, revealing a black, sleeveless tight shirt with a turtle neck on. Moments later they walked up to each other with rain beating down on their skins. They then stopped at a close distance.
“Are you ready?” Sasuke coldly asked.
“Yes.” Ashitaka boldly replied.
Suddenly Sasuke kicked over a small puddle of water and raised the water into Ashitaka's face, causing him to jitter and step back. Ashitaka blocked the water out from his eyes, but quite failed to see the fist that came into his face. He crumpled down onto the floor with the mud and water splattering everywhere. Sasuke smiled a little, but turned stern when saw Ashitaka rise up again with a dirty look on his face. Sasuke then raised his fists and clenched them tightly, as Ashitaka gritted his teeth and started to charge into him. He ascended his fist and collided it into Sasuke, but was then block. He then aimed for another shot, but the unnatural Sasuke was too quick to hit. But so was Ashitaka; he too was too hard to hit. With his martial background he was experienced as Sasuke. Sasuke then tried to hit Ashitaka but then the prince pushed away his arm and managed to smack him across the face. Drops of blood spat out from Sasuke's mouth as he trembled a little. Ashitaka tried to go for another one but his arm was then seized into Sasuke's hands as he was then lifted from the ground and flipped onto the ground. The smack on his back made him choke a little. But Ashitaka rolled himself back up and back flipped away from Sasuke.
“How can you say that you're in my league and you then back away from me?” Sasuke criticized at Ashitaka.
“Sometimes in order to back down you rise up to the top.” Sasuke scolded at Ashitaka's answers and charged into him. He then made his fists turn harder to punch and stiffer to block. Ashitaka started to hesitate a little, and was then kneed in the torso and shoved back. He grunted as he pressed down on his stomach. Then he turned angry, like the fury inside was about to break out, the monster of odium started to take control of Ashitaka's body, and he let it took control over him. Ashitaka then attacked Sasuke with his pulsing fists and tried to maneuver his ever block Sasuke had against him. He tried to kick him back but that was easily blocked. But the he managed to punch him in the stomach that made him cringe, and then had the chance to hit yet again in the face. Sasuke turned weak and wounded, but Ashitaka wasn't finished however. He clutched onto his shirt but then Sasuke broke free from his grasp and grappled his throat. Ashitaka started to suffocate a little as he was pushed backwards by Sasuke's force. But then as Ashitaka was being pushed back, he smacked Sasuke's arms away from him that made him let go of Ashitaka. And then Ashitaka gripped onto his throat and started to squeeze a little.
“How does it feel like? Now you're the one getting choked?!” Ashitaka angrily questioned Sasuke as he punched him once more across him face and slammed him down onto the ground.
Sasuke couldn't move, he felt like all of his bones and tendons were broken. His cheeks were red and bruised as blood trickled down from his forehead. The rain still pattered down pitifully as Ashitaka bent down to look down on the face of the defeated Sasuke. He saw the blood run into the water surrounding him, and Sasuke breathing slow and heavily for air to regain his strength. He then looked at him with guilt and shame.
“I'm sorry Sasuke. But it's the only you can see me.” He quietly apologized at Sasuke as the rain still trickled down on their skins. He then raised Sasuke's body and carried it back to the house. As he drew open the slide he walked into a dark room where he could lie Sasuke down. He then placed on a laid down blanket and lit a lamp with fire. He saw the damage he did to Sasuke, but it wasn't severe. It was just enough to take him out. Ashitaka then took hold of Sasuke's kimono and placed it onto his upper body, which will help keep him dry and warm for the night. He then rose back up and look one last look at the unconscious Sasuke. He turned away from him where he saw San standing a meter away from him.
“You don't have to worry about Motoko; I locked her in the other house.” Ashitaka exhaled out with small relief as he didn't want to deal with Motoko at the moment. “Can we really trust them Ashitaka?” He then looked at San in a strange way and then walked up to her.
“They're not the ones I worried about.” He then walked off with San taking a glance at Sasuke, and then leaving the room with the slide shut.