Project A-Ko Fan Fiction ❯ Project A-Ko: New Adventures of Supergirl! ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Project A-ko: The New Adventures of Supergirl Part Fifteen: The Brave and the Bold

Instead of going over to her desk Lena lead them over to a meeting table set off to one side of the spacious office. On the round table some snacks had been laid out and a refreshments cart was sitting nearby them. Lena waved to the seats and said, "Sit on down, I just need to take care of a few things before I join you."

B-ko took a seat, wondering if this really was such a good idea. She had been quite startled to pick up the phone and hear her mother's voice on the other end. In all honestly, she really hadn't been expecting her to call at all. They had talked awkwardly for a bit, when Lena had tentatively suggested that they talk face to face.

"You all right?" A-ko asked softly, "you're awfully pale."

B-ko smiled back wryly, "I'll manage."

Lena finished quietly ordering her secretary to hold any but her most urgent calls while turning just slightly to watch her daughter and her friend talk, doing it as discretely as she possibly could. The two of them had a casual closeness about them, a sense of long familiarity. 'I wonder if they're lovers?' she thought.

Lena walked over, "Several of my employees asked about coming up to thank you personally for saving them, but I wasn't sure if you'd like that.

"Thanks," A-ko smiled up at her, "I'm still not quite used to all this."

"You both seem to be handling things quite well," Lena said with a smile as she settled down in a seat by the two of them.

"We're coping," B-ko said quietly. "Mother," she said, then stopped. "That's going to take some getting used to," she murmured.

Lena actually chuckled softly, "Tell me about it."

The tension in the room seemed to ease off a bit, both mother and daughter exchanging more relaxed smiles. B-ko tilted her head to the side, looking up at her mother curiously, "Where did you get that big laser cannon you used to help us against the battledroids?"

"I just re-rigged a medical laser we were testing," Lena shrugged casually.

B-ko leaned forward intently, "But I thought those were notoriously low powered?"

"Swapped in additional batteries," Lena shrugged casually, "and took off the limiters."

"And to prevent overheating?" B-ko asked, "That's the biggest problem I have with weapons on my battle suits."

A somewhat bemused A-ko watched the two descending into pure techno- babble and just had to smile. They were so alike it was almost scary.

High above the east coast cities it soared, a streak of vibrant green. Bobbing and weaving, it clearly enjoyed the newly granted power of fight. Kyla Scott laughed, the power ring lighting up the new Green Lantern's face as she streaked towards her destination.

"New York to Keystone City in seconds," Kyla grinned, "this ring is so cool!"

Kyla dropped down to land on a Keystone office building, gazing over the edge thoughtfully. 'No sign of her,' she thought. 'All right, assume she's patrolling the city at her usual speed, starting from the other end of town, it means she'd get here right about...'

"Kyla!" a happy voice cried.

'.. now.' Kyla thought, feeling her friend enveloping her in a fierce hug even as she was hugging her back happily, "Hi, Iris."

"Ohwowyou'reaGreenLantern,Iknewyoucoulddoit!Butwhydidn'tyou callmeorletmeknow Iwassowiorriedaboutyou!Stillthatsuitdoeslookgoodonyouareyougoingtocustomize i tlikeyourdad'sor," Iris West, also known as the Flash, speed talked away happily.

"Woah, back up and run it again slower," Kyla laughed at her old friend.

"Sorry," Iris pushed back her red cowl, revealing brown eyes and sandy hair. "I knew you would become a Green Lantern eventually," she smiled at her friend fondly.

"Thanks," Kyla blushed slightly even as she used her ring to remove her mask. She looked at the costume her friend was wearing and noted, "You're not wearing your Kid Flash suit anymore. Does that mean you're..."

"Flash, yeah," Iris nodded. She scowled suddenly, "I didn't hear from you in weeks! Why didn't you call me at least!"

"Well, I did leave a note with my boss," Kyla said weakly.

"Guy? That old pervert?! You know I don't go near him," Iris scowled.

"Oh come on, just because he tried to grab your ass that one time does not necessarily make him a pervert," Kyla tried to defend her boss. An impish little smile appeared on her face, "It could just mean he has good taste."

"You'd know," Iris smirked.

Kyla chuckled softly. She'd come out to Iris last year, and except for the occasional good-natured tease Iris had taken it rather well. She sat down on a power ring created chair, forming one for Iris as she did so, "Any luck chasing the boys?"

"Chasing the boys, ha-ha," Iris said dryly.

"Unintentional, I assure you," Kyla grinned.

"No dating prospects," Iris shook her head with a sigh. She frowned slightly, hearing an alarm going off. A flicker of movement, then she was back in her seat and a criminal found himself tied up with a little bow for the Keystone Police department.

"Nice," Kyla gave her an admiring smile. Not really noticing her friend's blush she continued, "Any progress with your brother?"

"Yeah," Iris sighed, "but all in the wrong direction. He's gone from being a slacker to being a super villain under the name Prof. Zoom."

Kyla chortled softly at that, "Prof. Zoom?!"

"Dumb name I know," Iris was grave as she added, "but the original Professor Zoom was a killer. He even murdered the second Flash's wife, my namesake."

Kyla winced, "Open mouth, insert foot." Running her hand through her dark green hair she quietly added, "I'm sorry, Iris."

"It's all right," Iris smiled back, "you wouldn't have known."

"I hate to interrupt your conversation ladies," the cool voice said, "but I'd like to speak to you about a matter of some importance."

Iris was on her feet with her Flash cowl back in place in a second even as Kyla leapt up, her power ring blazing, ready to go. Then both froze as they instantly recognized the figure standing there, gazing at them calmly.

"Martian Manhunter," Kyla said softly.

"Indeed," J'onn nodded, "I was wondering if the two of you would be willing to join us up at the Watchtower. We'd like to find out if you're interested in joining the Justice League."

To be continued...