Psych Fan Fiction ❯ Jack and Jill ❯ I Think That Was Rhetorical ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Psych.
 
Inspired by reading way too much true crime.
 
Santa Barbara, 1986
 
Shawn Spencer gulped rather loudly as he eyed the distance to the ground. Instinctively, his gazed moved to Bobbie's cast, stark white compared to the boy's ragged jeans and hospital-issue crutches. He inhaled slowly. This was such a bad idea. Still… He looked at the small crowd of onlookers surrounding the tree. If he could only make this jump without breaking anything, he would be a legend. Anyway, it wasn't like he was the first to attempt this. A voice in the back of his mind, far too similar to his father, spoke up. “If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?” He exhaled and closed his eyes. Only if he could do it better.
 
Present Day
 
An irate Burton Guster slammed open the door to the Psych office. “Shawn!” He slammed his sample case down on his best friend's desk and tried to contain his rage. “Do not call me on my office phone! I'll get in trouble!”
Shawn, who had been leaning back in his computer chair in order to properly enjoy his tropical smoothie, blinked up at his partner. “Dude, I only called you, like, two or three times,” he replied, sitting up straight and removing his feet from the edge of the desk.
Gus' nostrils flared. “Ninety-seven times, Shawn.”
“Don't be a pretty, pretty princess, Gus.”
Burton raised a hand to cover his eyes and sighed. He could feel the familiar sensation of a headache coming on. “What was so important that you felt compelled to call me nearly a hundred times in one day? Your messages were incredibly vague.”
Shawn's face took on an expression of utmost sobriety. “Why, I just wanted to see if you miss me as much as I miss you when we're apart.” Here he clutched a hand to his chest and looked up at his friend with wide eyes and a pout.
“Shawn!”
He rolled his eyes and took on a normal expression. “Relax will you? The chief said to drop by her office at five for a new case.”
Gus raised an eyebrow. “Why at five? That's still two hours away.”
Settling back into his original position, Shawn responded, “She's busy right now. You know what that means, don't you?”
“She doesn't have time for your shenanigans?”
The fake psychic frowned. “Shenanigans? Really? Anyway, it means that this is something big. It will probably be horribly exciting.” He stirred his drink with the straw for a moment. “You want some of this smoothie? They use real pineapple!”
 
Review and I'll love you forever.