Psych Fan Fiction ❯ Jack and Jill ❯ Of Books and Numbers ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Really, you should be glad I haven't updated in a while. I've been taking criminal justice courses and had to write a paper on Jack the Ripper in one. That's why you shouldn't torch me for the long wait.
 
 
Anyone who knew Shawn would have been very surprised to see him in a library, of all places. For most people, this would be because they couldn't imagine him enjoying himself in a library. Gus, however, knew that this building allowed him to enjoy himself a little too much. The librarian hadn't taken too kindly to that book fort. Thankfully, Shawn's banishment was lifted a scarce few weeks before, so the duo was allowed to walk right in with little more than a nasty look from any employees who still remembered Fort Bibliotech.
Shawn silently motioned to Gus to follow him. The psychic led his friend to their destination by way of an extremely convoluted path. They wove through rows of books, backtracked several times, and circled the computers twice. Finally, after wandering through the adult section for several minutes, the two emerged at the true crime section.
“Let's see,” Shawn muttered, searching for the appropriate books, “Manson, Bundy, Gacy, Rader… Ah! Here we go. Jack the Ripper.” He promptly took several books off the shelves and sat down on the floor the read them.
Gus took one book and opened it, preferring to remain standing. Immediately, he found a problem with the investigation. “Uh, Shawn?”
“Yeah?” he replied, tossing one book aside because it only contained the author's theory.
“We have a problem.” With that, he turned the book so Shawn could see it, showing the eighteen potential victims and thirty different suspects. “Some people believe that he killed anywhere from four to nine women,” he continued, “And they can't even seem to agree on the same victims.”
Shawn stared at Gus' book with wide eyes. “This may take longer than I thought.”
 
Nothing bugs me more in a true crime book about an unsolved case then an author claiming that their theory is the solution. Not only are they not quite as informative as they could be, but most of the theories conveniently leave out crucial bits of evidence that point to the contrary. Urgh!