Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sealed Past ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14
--
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
--
 
Ranma lay sprawled out on the dojo floor, skin glistening with sweat as lungs heaved for breath. The spectators, especially the humans, sat with agape jaws and bulging eyes, not since Lord Shippou had seriously sparred against Lord Kouga a decade ago had they seen such intensity or skill.
 
“Damnit mutt,” Kouga's voice muttered from across the room.
 
Tilting his head Ranma smirked at the sprawled form of the equally exhausted wolf demon. “What? You didn't think `cause the body's human I can't still kick your mangy ass?”
 
Kouga banefully eyed his long time rival and declined to answer.
 
Ranma's smirk broadened as he finally sat up.
 
“Don't be such a sore loser Kouga,” Shippou teased as he and the senior priest dropped the shielding spell around the room in order to protect the structure from demonic attacks and flying bodies.
 
“Neat trick,” Ranma grunted heaving himself to his feet, thinking of all the times he'd had to repair the Tendo dojo after a fight with Akane, “Could use something like that back at home.”
 
“So what are you called now mutt?” Kouga asked as Ginta and Hakkaku helped him to his feet.
 
“Saotome Ranma,” Ranma replied.
 
The wolf lord nodded in acknowledgement before gesturing to the wolf demons accompanying him. “I'm sure you remember Ginta and Hakkaku and these three are my youngest pups, Kiba, Tsume, and Bara.”
 
The two males and one female bowed respectfully to their father's opponent, confused by the conflicting scents of normal human and dog lord that they were smelling from him and unsure of what to do.
 
Ranma cocked his head at the three young wolves, memories coming to him, “So you an' Ayame had another litter.”
 
Kouga nodded proudly before directing his next question to Shippou. “How's Kagome doing?”
 
“Handling it,” Shippou responded honestly.
 
The wolf grunted in acknowledgement, “If she ever needs to get a way for a while, remind her that Ayame and I are always happy to have her stay for a bit.”
 
Ranma frowned, definitely not liking the innuendo in the conversation.
 
“I would not worry wolf,” an icy voice spoke from the doorway.
 
Turning, everyone's attention was drawn to the man standing there in a grey business suit, gold eyes framed by wire-rimmed glasses. Authority and power radiated from him.
 
Kouga and the other wolves bristled. The great demon lord's long held dislike for them still strongly evident—they were lucky Lady Rin was forgiving or the tribe would have been wiped out centuries ago.
 
Ranma fully faced the dog demon, memories flashing past his mind's eye. Early times of cruelty and hardship. Later times of welcome and comfort.
 
“Inuyasha,” Sesshoumaru greeted regally as he looked at the reincarnated form of his sibling.
 
Breaths from those who hadn't known were sucked in in shock, particularly the three wolf pups. This was the Lord of the Western Land's younger brother?
 
***
 
Ranma looked with a half smile at the dog pups playing about on the lawn under the watchful eye of their caretakers and mother. It had been an experience meeting those rowdy balls of energy and being reunited with some of the elder ones who he remembered.
 
Turning from the window he looked at the opulent room of the library surrounding him, noting the items that had been acquired by his elder brother during his sixty year `death'. His eyebrow quirked at one of the weapons on display.
 
“Isn't that…?”
 
“Yes,” Sesshoumaru replied, seeing where he was looking.
 
“So what, I died and you took all my stuff?” Ranma said jokingly.
 
The dog shot him a droll look as he approached the display case, “Most of it I have passed on to your mate's family. I believe you'll find most of it in the shrine's storage, but there is something else that I must return to you.”
 
Reaching into the elegant case Sesshoumaru lifted a battered and rust covered katana from its stand. Turning he walked to Ranma and handed the sword to him.
 
Ranma turned the ancient weapon over in his hands but left it sheathed; a faint smile on his face. “It's been repaired,” he said softly, remembering his last vision of the sword was it snapping under a bomb dropped by a traitorous dog.
 
“Yes,” Sesshoumaru replied, “My fang was used.”
 
He glanced up at his brother and gave a lopsided smirk, “I had enough trouble learning how to wield first my father's fang, then my own, and now I've got to learn yours?”
 
“Can't do it?” Sesshoumaru said blandly.
 
Ranma's smirk turned into a true one. “Nah, I can handle it.”
 
“But?” Sesshoumaru said with a raised eyebrow, sensing something remained unsaid.
 
Ranma's face became solemn as he looked at the katana in his hands. “In this life, I've never used a weapon of any kind. In fact, I rather despise the fact that people depend upon a tool instead of their own bodies to become better fighters. On top of that, this is a guardian weapon, meant to contain my demon blood.”
 
Sesshoumaru looked curiously at the black haired man that looked exactly like his brother had during the new moon.
 
“I no longer have any demon blood.”
 
The great dog demon blinked, he had not considered that fact. “That is true…”
 
Ranma held the sword out to his brother. “Could you keep it? Tessaiga[1] no longer has a place in this era.”
 
Sesshoumaru looked at the sword then back at his brother. It appeared more had changed than just Inuyasha's appearance.
 
The dog inclined his head in acceptance as he reached out and took the sword, walking back to the case he placed the sword next to the two others that it had resided with since the end of World War II—Tenseiga[2] and Toukijin[3].
 
--------
Footnotes:
[1] Tessaiga: alternately spelt as Tetsusaiga, this sword is the treasure found in the tomb of Inuyasha's father. It was made in order for his father to protect Inuyasha's human mother. It grows in size and power whenever it is used to protect a human life. Eventually in a battle with Goshinki the sword is broken and must be repaired by Toutousai. The blade becomes difficult for Inuyasha to wield for a time. As Naraku grows in strength Inuyasha must power the blade up to break his barriers, which he ultimately does with the help of Shiori. (Cited from “Wikipdedia” and “The Inu-Yasha Companion.”)
[2] Tenseiga: this sword is Sesshomaru's blade forged by Toutousai. The sword is not able to cut, but can heal any wound. Mastery of the blade can even bring someone back from the dead. (Cited from “Wikipdedia” and “The Inu-Yasha Companion.”)
[3] Toukijin: after Inuyasha kills Goshinki, Sesshomaru comes upon his remains. He takes them to Kaijinbo who forges this blade for him. Tokijin is such a massively evil sword that it takes control of Kaijinbo and forces him to fight Inuyasha. Kaijinbo dies, and Toutousai warns Sesshomaru against using the blade knowing he will suffer a similar fate. Of course Sesshomaru is far superior than anyone else and wields the evil blade with absolute control. (Cited from “Wikipdedia” and “The Inu-Yasha Companion.”)