Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Stranger, Sister, Daughter ❯ A Day at the Dojo ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Stranger, Sister, Daughter

By Ryouga's best friend

Part 2

Sasami's eyes cracked open slowly in the wee hours of the morning. She gave a relaxed sigh enjoying the futon she was laying on, much more comfortable than the hard floors and cold grounds of traveling. She sat up and looked around the room that she was sharing with that nice girl Kasumi. It was spotless and what few items were in the room were organized. After a little reluctance she left the comfort of her bed and stood up and stretched a bit, she casually looked at the clock… 4:30. She sighed quietly, a bit frustrated. She had been away from home for months now and she was still waking up early as if to do her chores. Knowing it was fruitless to complain she decided to get dressed and head downstairs. She quietly put on a pale pink T-shirt and jeans in hopes to not wake that nice girl Kasumi-san… which would have been a nice gesture if the girl in question wasn't already awake. This surprised Sasami that someone would wake up before her, curious she headed downstairs.

Downstairs it was very dim light as the sun had only begun to rise, the house was relatively quiet accept for the low rubble of what sounded like a washing machine. She proceeded into the dinning room, which was surprisingly clean with all of the plates and utensils set up, well admiring the set table she heard a faint humming coming from the courtyard. She sneaked over to the door and peeked outside, Kasumi was hanging up the laundry. She hummed a happy tune dancing a little bit as she placed the wet clothes on the line. Sasami smiled at this think back to the times when she'd be up doing the chores, Kasumi put the last shirt up and picked up the empty basket. She turned slowly finishing her song and gasped in surprise. "Oh my, you're up early" she stated a bit embarrassed.

"I always get up early, it's an habit I can't seem to get rid of. I'm sorry Kasumi-san, I didn't mean to fluster you" she apologized stepping outside.

"There's no need to apologize I was just a bit surprised, normally I'm the only one up at this hour. Come on in I was about to start breakfast," she said with a smile passing her and heading inside.

"Oh can I help?" she asked excited. Kasumi was about to say she didn't have to but seeing the hopefulness in her eyes she changed her mind.

"Sure I wouldn't mind a hand" she replied motioning her to follow.

"Oh boy" Sasami giggled following her in. Kasumi gave younger girl an apron and they got started. Kasumi originally gave Sasami a relatively small bit to do, which made her very surprised when Sasami finished in no time. Catching her oversight Kasumi split the remaining cooking between them, to pass the time while the food simmered and baked they had a little conversation.

"You're a very good cook Sasami"

"Gee thanks" she responded blushing "I've had a lot of practice back at home" she said a bit reluctant. "Your a really good cook too Kasumi-san".

"Why thank you Sasami" she said "I've come to enjoy it, I've been doing it and the rest of the house work since my mother died" she continued opening up a bit.

"That's so sad" Sasami commented "Tenchi lost his mother too…" she said quieter, more to herself. "Shouldn't some of the others be helping you, I mean even the Masaki 'family' helped me…sometimes… doesn't anyone else do any work?" she asked, Kasumi took a minute to think about.

"Well, now that I think of it… hardly. I mean Ranma has helped me once and a while and Akane tries but…" she paused searching for the politest way to say it, "she gets hasty and makes mistakes. It's not a problem though, I don't mind" she replied happily. Sasami nodded in acknowledgment remembering when she could say that, feeling a bit down…suddenly there was a sudden crash outside followed by loud shouting and fighting, quickly breaking the young girl out of her thoughts she became alert.

"What's happening" she asked worried rushing over to the window to see the commotion, Kasumi paid little heed.

"Looks like Ranma is awake" The elder Tendo daughter stated idly to herself taking a quick look at the food she was preparing. Her younger companion gasped in shock catching her full attention. "What's wrong Sasami?" she asked becoming concerned.

"Ranma's being attacked!" she almost shouted pointing into the backyard, Kasumi looked outside to see Ranma having his morning spar with his father, Genma, at their usual level… just under gratuitous violence.

"Oh don't worry Sasami, he's just sparing with his father. They'll be in shortly," she said calmly heading back to the stove. *He's okay, besides, a nice girl like Kasumi wouldn't let him get hut* Sasami thought looking back out in time to see Ranma take a viscous hit to the stomach. She turned to give a quick look back to Kasumi *would she? *. In a moment of doubt she ran outside to check on him. She ran to the back door and onto the porch, only to be dazzled at the aerial grace and speed he was fighting with as he continued to defy gravity. She shook herself out of it and shouted to the young martial artist.

"Ranma, are you okay?!" the boy in question turn with surprise dropping his guard for a split second.

"Sasami?" he asked before getting knocked into the koi pond. A few moments later a short red hared girl burst out of the water and knocked the man into the ground right next to the pool. She shouted at him a bit, but Sasami wasn't paying attention. She was watching the water with growing dread, why hadn't he come up yet.

"Ranma!" she shouted running over to the pond to help him out, though when she got there she found it empty, minus a few terrified koi. "Ranma… where did he go?" she asked confused. The girl looked nervous as she approached, she swallowed a bit before speaking.

"Ah, Sasami?" she asked slowly, the girl in question turned. She eyed the older girl strangely, having never met her before.

"Do I know you?" she replied with another question. The girl looked more nervous and paused a bit before answering, She quickly shot a venomous glare to the unconscious Genma.

"Yeah, actually you do, ya see…" she paused to delay as much as possible, "I'm Ranma…" she said with a sigh. Sasami looked at the girl closely, *She looks a little bit like Ranma… and she came out of to pond, but… it doesn't make sense. Ranma is a guy* she thought to herself as she stared at the girl, so intently that she didn't see Kasumi enter with a steaming kettle. The eldest Tendo sister calmly stepped over Genma's unconscious body and over to the red head, this Sasami noticed.

"Here you go Ranma" she said passing the girl the kettle.

"Thank you Kasumi" she replied calmly, Sasami broke out of her own thoughts looking toward Kasumi.

"She's Ranma?" She asked confused, Kasumi nodded "but Ranma's a guy… isn't he?" she continued.

"I am a guy" the girls stated, confusing the younger girl even more, "look I'll show you… you may want to sit down" with she poured the hot on her head. The change took place almost instantly; Sasami's eyes were as wide as saucers watching the petite red head turn into Ranma. "It's a curse ya see and… Sasami?"

"…" She stared in total shock, frozen in place.

"Sasami?" Ranma asked waving a hand in front of the girl's face, after about a minute she finally keeled over into Ranma's arms. "…She took it better than I thought," he said simply picking her up. He was about to leave when he heard a groan behind him, signaling the awakening of his father. His neutral expression turned into a sour grimace, he gently placed the girl the ground leaning against the wall before heading back to his father. "Hey pops!" he shouted to the newly conscious man. "What was the big idea with the cheap shot when I was distracted?" he growled as Genma nursed the large bump on his head.

"A martial artist must take any advantage he can when in a fight, you shouldn't have let anything distract you. Much less a girl!" he stated firmly, Ranma fumed silently trying to hold his anger in check.

"Then why did you kick me into the pond, you scared the hell out of her" he asked forcefully.

"Well that more then you did for me" the older man touched the bump on his head. "Oh what a son of mine" he wailed, "sending his poor father to the cold hard ground just cause he can't take his father in a sparing match" he continued not noticing his son aura blaze up.

"Stupid old man!" Ranma growled before he punted his father into the sky. He let out a frustrated sigh before heading back to Sasami.

**********

Sasami's eyes opened slowly for the second time today, she got up and looked around. She was in Kasumi's room again… though this time she was on the bed and fully clothed. She stood up to find another not-so-subtle difference to this morning, a worried Ranma pacing next to the bed. It was then when she remembered her reason for waking up twice in one day. Ranma was a girl… well he wasn't one right now, but she was sure he was a second ago. The teen in question turned at the sounds of her rousing.

"Are you okay Sasami?" he asked relieved, not being able to find her voice she merely nodded. The boy immediately relaxed and acted as if he weren't worried at all. "Of course, I mean you took much better then I thought. So come on Kasumi saved some breakfast for you" he finished nonchalantly and started to head out.

"Ranma?" Sasami finally said just before he left, He turned slowly. "Did you… did you turn into a girl?" she asked confused. Ranma swallowed.

"Uh…" he stalled feeling uncomfortable. "Ah…yeah, yeah I did" he replied quietly, very embarrassed. Sasami was silent again, not sure how to respond. She had seen so many strange thing while living with Tenchi, been to several galaxies but this… was downright odd.

"How?" the single word slipped out after much deliberating, Ranma sighed. It was time to tell his story… again. He hated telling it all the time, it's not a story he can be proud of or anything, and it was usually followed by repeated 'accidental' splashes to activate the curse. It was an overall unpleasant experience for him.

"I'll tell you downstairs, that way we can have some breakfast first"

***********

"And that's about the gist of it" he stated finishing up his story about Jusenkyo and his curse. They sat across from each other at the dinner table.

"That wasn't nice of your father to do," she said looking at the man in question as he played Go with Mr. Tendo.

"I know, pop can be a real idiot sometimes… but he's not all bad. I mean he's my pops... if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have turned out to be such a good fighter" he admitted quietly so the person in question couldn't hear. Sasami merely nodded not really sure what to say.

"Good morning everyone" Akane said with a smile as she came downstairs dressed for school. "Ranma it's almost time for school, we'd better get going" she said seriously. He nodded and stood up.

"Guess I'll talk to you later kid" he said grabbing his bag and bento. They both rushed out and ran down street top speed… well technically Ranma was on the fence at top speed. Sasami helped Kasumi clean up the table and kitchen…

* * * * *

Akane and Ranma slowed down when they got about halfway to school, gaining a nice leisurely walking pace. Akane eventually turned to the fence and asked.

"Ranma… What do you think of that girl?" she asked curious.

"You mean Sasami? I think she's a nice kid, why?" he replied casually.

"I think there's something weird about, like she was hiding something" she sounded unsure. "Never mind it was just a passing thought" she dismissed it a bit embarrassed.

"No, I'm pretty sure she hasn't told us everything… but I wouldn't think any different of it. Everyone has their secrets" he said calmly, she gave a quick glance up to him as he glided along unfazed by the fence under him. *I wish I could balance like that…* she thought wistfully as they entered the school grounds. From there the day fell into it's normal cycle, fighting Kuno before school, a few classes, a chaotic lunch, gym and it was over. Though Akane arrived home to a sight they were unaccustomed. Kasumi's coat wasn't on its hanger, but someone was definitely cooking. Ranma took no notice as he headed into the dojo. Curious, Akane peeked in to see Sasami on a step stool stirring a steaming pot; the stove was covered with various dishes that were simmering pleasantly. The younger girl took a sip from the pot.

"Needs a bit more spice" she stated to herself sprinkling a few pinches of spice.

"Sasami? Where's Kasumi?" Akane asked surprising the younger girl.

"Oh Akane. Kasumi said she had to drop some books off at the doctor's office, so I decided to finish up the meal" she fiddled with the apron she had found on in the closet. "I didn't think anyone would mind" she continued. Akane looked at the girl as she shifted uncomfortably. *She wearing the apron I wore when I was just a kid…* she reflected mentally.

"I guess so, what harm could it do?" she said with a shrug and a smile, this caused Sasami to smile back happily getting back to cooking. Akane left the kitchen and returned to the living room a smile still on her face. Sitting down on the couch with an intense feeling of nostalgia. The fog dissipated when Ranma took a seat next to her, towel on his shoulders, on his way for an after school workout.

"So what's Kasumi making for dinner?" he asked since she had seen her head that way. Akane turned to face him.

"Sasami is cooking, my sister isn't even home" she said seriously, Ranma looked mildly surprised.

"Really? It smells really good" he stated as he sniffed the air. "Who knows Akane maybe she could teach you how to cook something" he said sticking out his tongue. Akane fumed silently and socked him, causing the strongest martial artist in Nerima to collapse in a heap.

"Jerk" she mumbled and headed upstairs. As the house sank into silence, a figure slipped out from behind the bushes outside. An angry grimace on his face, glaring through the window at the recovering martial artist.

"Tonight Ranma, you'll pay" he seethed silently slipping into the backyard…

AN- well here's part 2, I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. I tried to put this one more upbeat than the last and part 3 should have a lot of humor for all to enjoy. I look forward to your reviews and responses. Ja ne!