Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ What Comes of War ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

What Comes of War
 
By Midori_Hoseki and Kimi_Ichisaigosuki
 
Midori and I were role-playing, and this plotline was what we chose to work with. It was really good and shows a lot of promise, so I wrote it down and will be posting it as we make progress.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Ranma 1/2, the Young Wizards Series by Diane Duane, or Midori. (NOBODY owns Midori.) I do own Kimi Ichisaigosuki, because she's me. Midori and I can claim a very loose ownership to this version of Roshaun, but we only own the version of him that is in this story. We claim NO ownership to the Roshaun in the Young Wizards Series, and are making no money whatsoever off of our version of him. Olive belongs to Midori, and I own the First Morpher and Kimi's mother. I wish that Mint belonged to me, but I don't have enough money to buy the rights to him.
 
Prologue
It is the year four thousand eighty-nine. Earth still has separate races, but racism itself has been eradicated from the planet. Demons and mythical beings have returned to help the planet recover from its suffering centuries ago when all known sites of non-renewable recourses were exhausted. However, despite the peace between races, the world is in turmoil. Tyrants rule, and a Resistance has risen to fight off the ruling Monarchy, if the leaders of the planet can be called that. The authority passes from one person to another on a weekly basis due to assassination, and all rulers are cruel. The Earth suffers under their reign.
 
Finally, the Resistance engages in a fierce battle, simultaneously bringing to light a girl who will play a huge part in the Fate of the Earth in years to come, although nobody knows it at the time. Unfortunately, a great warrior-woman is killed in the war, sending the leader of the Resistance into a frenzy of enraged grief. The war is won the same day the warrior is killed freeing the twelve-year-old girl, but the end of the war comes at a terrible price to both sides. The death of the warrior-woman is what hurts the Resistance the most, because she was known and loved by all. However, she had no interest in ruling, which is extremely rare. The Resistance fighters retrieve her body and hold an elaborate burial ceremony. The girl she rescued sings, and with her song she weaves a protective spell around the body.
 
The song and spell are both proof that the girl they rescued is not fully human, but the Resistance fighters take her in anyway. She proves herself to be a swift learner and replaces the dead kunoichi in the position of the best fighter in the Resistance within six months. However, the adolescent is not without her share of problems. She refuses to reveal her past to anyone, and avoids contact of any kind unless it is absolutely necessary. Her experiences in the labs of the Monarchy scientists left her deeply scarred and mistrustful of all. The only people to gain her trust, unswerving loyalty, and devoted friendship are the leader of the Resistance, the cousin of the dead kunoichi, and an adolescent boy the same age as she, who was also subjected to experiments at the hands of the Monarchy. The leader of the Resistance becomes her sensei; the cousin of the kunoichi extends friendship and receives friendship in exchange for her patience and care; the teenage boy, her only companion in the small, chilly, harshly lit lab-room, earns her trust.
 
However, after two years have passed since the death of the warrior-woman, something happens. Nobody in the Resistance expects it, and so they are totally unprepared. Soon, both the Resistance and the Monarchy are to find out what comes of war.