Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A Big Help ❯ Breaking Up Can Be Fun to Do ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Big Help
A Ranma one half/Sailor Moon crossover fanfic
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Mykon and Jora are my original creation so nobody use them without permission. The rest of these characters are the property of their creators, publishers anime production companies, etc. I write this for fun and make no profit off it.
 
Chapter 18
Breaking Up Can Be Fun To Do
 
The following morning the rest of the family was having breakfast when Ranma came down the stairs in male form. He had already finished his morning workout with Akane and had bathed after. Akane looked and said, “I thought you were going to go as a girl.”
 
Ranma grinned hugely, “I am. Yesterday Mykon and Jora taught me how to use the clothing change ring. Check this out.”
 
While they watched they saw Ranma change forms. That change was not instantaneous, but was so fast that it was almost impossible to see any details of that change. This time though they could see the change in clothing happened partway through the body change. Ranma now stood at the foot of the stairs in girl form and dressed in a Furinkan girls' school uniform like the one Akane was wearing.
 
Akane took in the change and again, “So is that what you're wearing?”
 
Ranma shook her head and said, “I only changed to this because the color helps demonstrate the clothing change better. I really wanted to wear this today.” Her clothing changed instantly.
 
The effect for the clothing change reminded Akane of a documentary she had seen for a `behind the scenes' look at special effects on a movie. In it is had shown how a `magical' clothing change had been where the actor left, changed clothes and assumed an identical position to what had already been filmed. The film then was edited together so that the actor was in one outfit in one frame of the film and a different outfit in the next. There was no “transition” from one outfit to the next, just the change. The change with the ring was like that.
 
The clothing Ranma now wore was a variation on her `signature' look of black and red. This time it was a black knee-length skirt with flat soled black leather shoes and a red silk sleeveless blouse and v-neck. The V was not deep enough to show off any cleavage. She now wore a simple gold bracelet on her right wrist and a plain gold chain around her neck. A pair of gold clip-on earrings completed the outfit.
 
Ranma seemed to think for a moment before undoing the braid of her pigtail. She shook her head so the hair settled into a scarlet cascade down to her shoulders. She struck a pose and asked, “What do you think?”
 
Akane had to suppress a pang of jealousy over her friend's appearance. Yes, girl Ranma had always been beautiful, but there was something a little overblown about her as if her hips and breasts were oversized for her small stature. Now it was like she had grown into her attributes and was perfectly proportioned. She had gone from an almost bimbo beautiful to truly supermodel gorgeous yet without a hint of makeup.
 
Akane heaved a sigh. He friend needed reassurance and she would give it. “You look great, Ranma! I wish I looked half that good.”
 
Still feeling insecure, Ranma asked, “Do you really mean that?”
 
Nabiki chimed in, “You really do look great. You look so good that if I swung that way I'd be after you myself. Kuno might not want to dump you with you looking so hot.”
 
Ranma wasn't sure how to react to that. “I look… hot?”
 
Kasumi put in. “In those clothes and with your hair down you look totally feminine. Anyone meeting you for the first time wouldn't guess you can change into a boy.”
 
Ranma sounded doubtful. “Well, I guess even a tomboy can dress up pretty sometimes.”
 
“Did your mom even buy you any tomboyish outfits?” Akane wanted to know.
 
Ranma chuckled at that. “Yes, I insisted on it. I've got some jeans and shorts and T-shirts. I've also got some dressier slacks and blouses that are still tomboyish. Mom insisted that if I'm going to be a girl half the time I was going to dress like a `proper lady' when I do it. It took some argument to get her to concede the point that I'm still a boy inside.”
 
Now curious herself, Kasumi asked, “How do you feel about looking so feminine?”
 
Ranma blushed a little. “I guess I really am starting to accept my girl side, because I admit I kind of like looking nice.”
 
Nabiki sidled up to Ranma and looked like she was reaching to lift the hem of Ranma's skirt. She asked, “So are you still wearing boxers under the skirt?”
 
Ranma slapped Nabiki's hand and said, “No, I'm not wearing boxers and I'm not going to show you. I'm wearing the first pair of panties I pulled out of the pile. They're white with blue dots and pictures of Sailor Moon's face.”
 
“Sailor Moon panties?” Nabiki snickered. After a moment she wondered, “Did those come from Cosmic Sailor?”
 
Ranma glared at the middle Tendo sister. “At the store where we got those the choice mom gave me was Sailor Moon or Hello Kitty. I don't care if nobody can see them, I wasn't going to wear Hello Kitty underwear.”
 
Now Nabiki looked shocked. “Does your mom think you're 10?”
 
The redhead shrugged. “I don't know. I did point out to her that I am 16 and after that she stopped looking at the more `little girl' stuff. I know she's trying to make up for missing out on most of my childhood but dressing me up like a little kid is carrying it a bit far.”
 
The other girls agreed. Before they left and at Kasumi's suggestion, Ranma applied a comb to her scarlet tresses.
 
On the way to school that morning Ranma walked on the sidewalk. She grumbled that she should have thought to get some jogging shorts like Akane was wearing under her school uniform.
 
From her place on the fence Akane pointed out, “Now that you can change at will and can use the clothing change ring, you could just change into a guy and walk up here. You could change back when we get to the end of the fence.”
 
Her mood brightening a little, Ranma explained, “Thanks Akane but I wanted to walk to school like this to see what kind of reactions I got.”
 
And she did get reactions. One shopkeeper on their route to school nodded to them and told Ranma she was looking very pretty that morning. One of the other high school boys who took the same route got so fascinated in looking at Ranma that he collided with a light pole.
 
From the fence Akane reflected that it was impossible to stay jealous of Ranma's beauty. The redheaded girl seemed so nice and a little insecure about her looks. She was not the least bit conceited or stuck up about her beauty like some of the other pretty girls at school.
 
Ranma did jump up onto the fence just before they got to where the ladle lady lived. At this point she decided she would rather someone see her panties than get her pretty new outfit wet. The actual distance on the fence was less than a block before she jumped back down and directed a glare at the elderly woman. As usual the ladle lady looked back with an expression of total innocence.
 
Ranma wondered if maybe they could take a longer way to school and completely avoid the old woman. However, that would require leaving earlier and they couldn't always manage that.
 
As they neared the school gates Ranma swallowed nervously. Akane put an arm around her friend's shoulders and gave her a squeeze. (It seemed so strange to have to reach up to do that.) “Just remember what we rehearsed last night.”
 
Slightly nervous, Ranma said, “I wish Mykon and Jora could have stayed longer, but they had to go fight another monster.”
 
“You'll do fine. Come on, let's go.”
 
When the red haired and black haired girls entered the gate they were chatting like a pair of normal high school girls. When they got to the usual spot and Kuno stepped out from behind the tree, the girls both dropped into defensive stances. “What do you want, Kuno?” demanded Akane.
 
“Fair Akane, beauteous pigtailed… girl…” He trailed off, staring at Ranma. Finally gathering what little wits he had he asked, “Pigtailed girl, when did you get so tall?”
 
An expression of wide-eyed surprise on her face, Ranma turned and asked, “Are all boys this clueless, Akane?”
 
Playing along, Akane responded, “No, just Kuno.”
 
Ranma turned back to the kendo champion and told him, “I had a growth spurt,” in a tone that suggested that he was an idiot for not noticing before.
 
The boy, in a very confused tone asked, “A growth spurt?” The concept that the girl could have grown that much in the relative short time since he had seen her last, was causing his thought processes to jam up. (More than usual.)
 
Acting as if she didn't notice the reaction to her statement, Ranma smiled cutely and said, in a tone of great happiness, “I finally caught up to my big brother. I know they say girls grow up faster than boys, but that certainly wasn't true in my case.”
 
In spite of being partially in a state of shock the Kendo champion tried valiantly to participate in the conversation. “Brother? Who is this brother you speak of?”
 
With air of one speaking to an idiot she said, “You know, my brother.” When that was greeted with silence she tried again. “Saotome Ranma, my twin brother.” Still there was no answer. “He's the boy you are always attacking and accusing of enslaving me and forcing himself on me by means of his `sorcery.' You know I really wish you'd stop saying things like that. I dearly love my oniichan, but not like that. I'm too young to be doing that kind of thing with anyone and I'm certainly not going to with my brother.”
 
Not sure he had heard correctly, Kuno sought confirmation. “Saotome is your twin brother?”
 
Like an adult speaking to a child she said, “He and I were born at the same time and to the same parents. What else would that make us except twins?
 
Kuno said in a distant tone, “I suppose that would make sense.” He didn't even think to question why nobody had explained this to him before. “But what of his relationship to the fair Akane?”
 
Ranma shook her head sadly. “I don't know why people insist on seeing more there than there is. Oniichan and Akane are friends and Ranma is her martial arts sensei. Ranma has never practiced any `dark arts' that I'm aware of.”
 
Feeling vaguely ashamed, Kuno said, “Beauteous one, I do apologize for the unseemly allegations I have made against your brother regarding his behavior toward you. Such accusations should not have come from the lips of a gentleman such as myself.”
 
Ranma looked skeptical but said, “I would be willing to accept your apology if you will promise to stop saying such hateful things about me and my brother in the future.”
 
“I promise.”
 
Ranma looked at the kendoist for a few moments then nodded in satisfaction. She did go on, “I get the feeling that you didn't stop us this morning to talk about my family.”
 
“That is true. Akane, pig…” He trailed off when Ranma swung her head around to demonstrate there was no pigtail in her freely flowing scarlet locks.
 
Firming his resolve he began again. “Akane, red haired girl, I have grave news to impart.”
 
Both girls took on worried expressions. Kuno went on, “I trust you have seen the news reports on television about the Cosmic Senshi.”
 
Akane said, “Of course we've seen the news. But what has that got to do with the bad news you want to tell us?”
 
The kendoist said, “My heart has been captured by the unearthly beauty that is Sailor Universe. I fear that pursuit of such a being as her will consume all of my strength, energy and time. Thus it is with great reluctance that I must end my relationship with the two of you. I am sorry.”
 
In a voice heavy with emotion and giving every appearance of fighting back tears, Ranma asked, “Then we are to be… cast aside?”
 
Tatewaki nodded his head. “Please believe that in doing this I am casting no aspersions on either your beauty or virtue. Indeed, red haired girl you are looking especially lovely today. I feel that it is for the best that the two of you seek other loves. You are both strong women and will get through this. You will find others who will love you and appreciate you and whose love you can return.”
 
Tears now rolling down her face, Ranma-Chan said, “I… need to be alone.” She turned ran toward the school building.
 
Akane sounded worried as she said, “I'd better make sure she's all right. Just… leave us alone.” Akane also ran to the school building and entered the front door behind her friend.
 
The young kendo champion hung his head in shame. “I hated doing that. I hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive me.”
 
The young man would have been very confused if he could have seen the two girls as they reached the second floor of the school. Both were laughing so hard they nearly fell over. Their mutual congratulations were interrupted by the sound of a pair of hands clapping.
 
Nabiki approached and said, “That was a brilliant performance. You had me believing it and I helped set it up.”
 
She threw back her head and placed the back of her hand on forehead and in an exaggerated manner declaimed, “Then we are to be… cast aside?”
 
Nabiki laughed and said, “That poor sap Kuno didn't know what hit him. I bet he feels really low right now having made two pretty girls cry. I knew Akane had acting talent but Ranma, I am in awe.”
 
Ranma laughed herself. “I was nervous at first, but it was actually kind of fun. I can see why you like acting, Akane.”
 
The black haired girl smiled. “Isn't it great?”
 
Nabiki sobered. “Well, you got through act one perfectly. Are you ready for act two?”
 
Ranma was in the process of re-braiding her pigtail. When she finished that she changed back to a boy and his regular outfit of black pants and red shirt. He said, “I'm ready. This will be the part that seals the deal and makes it fully believable to that idiot.”
 
At lunch break that day Kuno was eating lunch under a tree and brooding. Perhaps he had been too harsh on his former loves. Maybe there was some more gentle way he could have broken the news to them.
 
Suddenly a black and red blur streaked toward him and a voice roared out, “KUNOOO!” He felt strong hands grab his garment and pull him to his feet. Those same hands slammed him back against the tree. The hands belonged to Saotome Ranma.
 
Red battle aura blazing, the pigtailed martial artist shouted, “You made my sister cry! She won't even talk to me. If you've hurt her I swear I will break every bone in your body.”
 
Feeling a bit too depressed to be intimidated by Saotome's display, Kuno just said, “Saotome, calm yourself. I did not touch your sister, I merely spoke to her.”
 
Ranma's aura didn't lessen. “What did you say? Was it more of those lies about me using magic to enslave my own sister? I don't know why you have to include us in your sick fantasies. I would die to protect my oneechan. You have to stop saying those things.”
 
Grasping one of Ranma wrists, Kuno said, “It will stop. It already has stopped.”
 
Ranma released his grip and let the other boy down. “Then what did you say?”
 
“The unearthly beauty that is Sailor Universe has captured my heart. I told your sister and the fair Akane that I would no longer pursue them. Instead I will try to woo the elusive member of the Cosmic Senshi.”
 
Ranma's battle aura faded as he said, “So you're interested in someone else and dumped my sister and Akane. Does that about sum it up?”
 
Looking somewhat offended the kendoist said, “I wouldn't have phrased it that way, but you have the gist.”
 
Ranma heaved a huge sigh. “That's a relief. I thought it was something serious. There is something that you need to understand about my sister. She was never really interested in dating you. She even spoke of it as if the very idea made her ill.”
 
Kuno's expression changed to one of hurt. “Never interested? Thinking of dating me made her feel ill?”
 
The pigtailed martial artist explained, “You made a bad first impression on oneechan and your behavior since then didn't do anything to improve her opinion of you. Why do think she was always so… forceful in her rejections of your advances?”
 
“But I thought…”
 
Ranma overrode Kuno's protests. “She didn't want to date you. In spite of that to have someone constantly praising her beauty and virtues in poetic terms was flattering. I suppose being the object of such praise would flatter any girl even if she was not the most appreciative of the source of that praise.”
 
The pigtailed boy thought a moment. “She will be happy that you won't be grabbing her anymore. I'm guessing Akane will be happy about that too, although I haven't talked with her as extensively as with my sister and we have talked. My sister tells me everything. I think that even if you are no longer trying to date either Akane or my sister, they might appreciate it if you would still complement them on their looks. Just be gallant as I'm sure a man of your breeding can easily do.”
 
Kuno now looked determined. “That I can do.”
 
This fool was actually buying it. What an idiot. Out loud he said, “Good. Now maybe she can concentrate on finding someone to fall in love with. Sorry about slamming you into the tree. I hope you realize that by setting your sights on Sailor Universe you are taking on an enormous challenge.”
 
Kuno barely acknowledged Ranma's departure.
 
That afternoon after school. Ranma told Akane, “You go on ahead, I've got something I want to talk to Ryoga about.” She agreed and went on.
 
Ranma spotted the black-spotted yellow bandana and yelled, “Hey Ryoga, wait up.”
 
The formerly lost boy stopped to let Ranma catch up. “What's up?”
 
Ranma looked around at the other students that were leaving the school and said, “Let's get somewhere people can't listen in.”
 
An expression of curiosity came to the face of the former wanderer. What did Ranma have to talk about that he didn't want others to overhear?
 
They kept going in the direction of Ryoga's home and eventually the other students all headed to their own homes. “What's on your mind, Ranma?”
 
Wanting to be cautious in his approach to his suggestion he started, “You know how Mykon and Jora said we should both learn to better accept our girl forms?”
 
Ryoga frowned. “I change as soon as I get home from school. I sleep in girl form and only change into a guy when I start getting ready for school. I may actually spend more time as a girl than I do as a guy.”
 
Ranma was a little surprised to hear that. Still he pressed on, “That's good to hear but I'm not sure that's what they meant.”
 
The other boy was still not sure where this was going. “Did you have something in mind for another way to approach it?”
 
“Last week Akane and Nabiki took Kasumi on a `girls' night out.' They had dinner at a nice restaurant, went to see a sappy romantic movie then went to a club and danced with some guys that were there. I tried to go along, but they said it was just for the sisters.”
 
Ryoga nodded. “Kasumi deserves to get out of the house occasionally. She spends too much time there as it is. I hardly ever see her leave the house for anything other than shopping. But what does that have to do with getting in touch with our girl sides? Are you suggesting we do something like that?”
 
Ranma nodded. “Yeah, I was thinking we could do something like that together, but with a twist.”
 
The other boy was feeling both intrigued and wary. “What kind of a twist?”
 
A bit tentatively the pigtailed martial artist offered, “I was thinking a Jusenkyo girls night out.”
 
Thinking to himself, “That idea sounds like it has trouble written all over it. I'm probably going to regret this,” Ryoga asked out loud, “And how is that different from a regular girls' night out?”
 
Ranma clarified, “We do a guys night out but we do it as girls.”
 
With a skeptical expression the bandana-wearing boy asked, “Do you even know what's involved in a `guys' night out'?”
 
Ranma said, “I've heard about it from some of the other guys at school. There could be some kind of sports involved, but it could just be a variation on the girls' night out.”
 
Ryoga felt a little impatient. “Again, how is it different?”
 
The young Saotome told of his tentative plans. “We could still eat out and see a movie. For us it would be something with lots of action and explosions.”
 
The boy in the bandana digested that. “That doesn't sound very different. What about the club after that? Getting in touch with my girl side or not, I'm not dancing with any guys.”
 
“Me neither,” confirmed Ranma. He then confessed, “Besides that I never learned to dance.”
 
Ryoga shrugged. “I've heard that for a martial artist it's easy to learn. Just treat it like a kata.”
 
Surprised, the pigtailed boy asked, “Do you know how to dance?”
 
“Well… no. I just heard about it.”
 
With a wave, Ranma dismissed the idea. “Anyway, we wouldn't go dancing. I was thinking something more manly like a strip club.”
 
Ryoga paused in his walk and looked a bit flustered. “Uh…I don't know if that would be such a good idea.”
 
“Why not?”
 
The former lost boy explained, “You know how shy I am around women. It took me forever to get the nerve to ask Akane on a date. For the longest time I could barely look at a girl in a swimsuit without getting a nosebleed. The girls in those clubs are mostly or even completely naked.”
 
Sensing an opportunity to tease his friend, Ranma asked, “Are you still like that?”
 
“No! Of course not. Looking at my girl form in the mirror cured me of that. Although…”
 
Ranma got an expectant expression on his face. The former lost boy finally said, “I kind of hate to admit it. I… sort of… gave myself a nose bleed the first couple of times I saw my girl form naked in the mirror.”
 
Ryoga looked highly annoyed when Ranma started to laugh uncontrollably. So overcome with laughter was the pigtailed boy that he had to sit on the ground to avoid falling over. At one point it looked like Ranma had finished but he was just taking a few gasping breaths to continue laughing.

Getting fed up, the bandana wearing boy yelled, “It's not funny!”
 
Gasping for breath Ranma got out, “Yes it is.”
 
Ryoga finally sighed and admitted, “OK, it's funny. It's just not that funny.”
 
Ranma got control of himself with an effort. “The Kamis must have a twisted sense of humor to give some one as shy as you that curse.”
 
The other boy had to laugh at that one. “That's what I said the first time I looked at my girl form in the mirror.”
 
Feeling he'd had his fun over his friend's discomfort he asked, “I don't want to drag you off to something you don't want to do. If it's going to make you too uncomfortable we can do something else or skip it completely.” Ranma managed to make his tone convey the message that he'd be really disappointed if his friend didn't agree to them doing something together.
 
Ryoga thought to himself, “Damn, he's closer to his girl side than he knows. If he was in girl form right now she'd be giving me the puppy dog eyes on top of that tone of voice.” Out loud he said, “I guess it would help me get over my shyness. I'll go, even to the strip club. Did you have a club in mind?”
 
Sounding enthusiastic, Ranma told him, “There's a club here in Nerima called `Echoes.' I checked them out. They're mostly topless where the girls strip down to a tiny little G-string. I was told they have rooms in the back where they strip down completely naked, but we won't be going into any of those. For one thing we couldn't afford it.”
 
Being practical, Ryoga asked, “What about monster attacks?”
 
The pigtailed boy shrugged. “Not sure why, but the monsters seem to be staying out of Nerima. I doubt they'd be staying away because they're afraid of us.”
 
“Did Mykon and Jora have anything to say about that?”
 
“I hardly ever see them anymore.”
 
Ryoga could hear the hurt in his friend's tone. “Better stay off that subject.” Out loud he asked, “So when did you want to do this?”
 
“I was thinking Saturday. I'll come by your place and we'll head out together. Dress in something girly.”
 
Yeah, I'm going to regret this.” Out loud he said, “I'll see what I've got in my closet.”
 
Ranma clapped his friend on the shoulder. “Like I've been told about my girl form, you're really pretty when you're a girl. Don't be afraid to show that off a little. I've been thinking about this. I know you don't have a lot of girl clothes and you mostly dress in unisex outfits like I did most of the time.”
 
“What's wrong with that?” Ryoga wanted to know.
 
Ranma hastily assured, “Nothing's wrong with it. Did you learn how to use stuff-space yet?”
 
It hadn't been as hard as he had imagined it would be. “Yeah. I only can make a pocket about the size of a suitcase. I think with practice I'll be able to get it bigger.”
 
Ranma grinned. “That's big enough. I know how to use the clothing change ring and I can teach you how to use yours.”
 
Ryoga felt doubtful. “I really only have one `girl' outfit. All the rest is unisex stuff.”
 
“That's Ok, because you, me and my Mom are going to go shopping this Saturday in the morning. Your parents can pay my mom back for the clothes when they get back.”
 
The former lost boy hated shopping. He asked, “Shopping?”
 
The young Saotome laughed. “You don't have to say it like it's some kind of curse word. My mom took me shopping last Saturday and it actually ended up being fun.”
 
As Ranma walked away Ryoga moaned softly. “My life is over. I'm going to go shopping with Ranma and her mom.”
 
At the Kuno mansion Kodachi had just arrived home to find her brother sitting down in an oddly introspective mood. She asked him, “Did you tell Akane and the red haired hussy of your intentions?”
 
Not answering directly he said in a very distracted tone of voice, “I learned something about the pigtailed… I mean red haired girl today.”
 
Something seemed out of character for the young kendoist. The gymnast asked, “Why did you correct your speech just now?”
 
He made a vague gesture toward his head. “She was not wearing her hair in a pigtail today.”
 
“And you noticed?” Thought Kodachi. “What did you learn?”
 
In the same distracted tone he told his sister, “When it happened I don't know, but the red haired girl has grown as tall as Saotome Ranma. The extra height looks good on her.”
 
Why was the fool attaching so much importance to something that all teenagers did? “She's grown? That's it?”
 
He shook his head. “The relationship between Saotome and the red haired girl is not what I believed it to be. They are brother and sister, twins in fact.”
 
That was something Kodachi had not heard before. From a pocket on her school uniform Kodachi pulled a photo of her darling Ranma-sama. She looked at it and compared it to the poster size blowup of the red haired girl on the wall. There was a family resemblance, why had she never noticed before?
 
If that was true then the red haired girl wasn't trying to get Ranma for herself. Was she trying to keep Kodachi away because she didn't approve of the gymnast and was trying to protect her brother? Was that possible? True, her behavior and her brother's toward the red haired girl would not have given her a good opinion of the Kuno family.
 
With an effort she brought her attention back to her brother. She asked, “Was there more?”
 
He nodded. “At lunchtime Saotome confirmed the relationship. Furious, he accosted me and demanded to know what I had done to make his sister cry. He threatened that if I had hurt her he would break every bone in my body. I told him that I had only spoken to her.”
 
After a pause to collect his thoughts he continued, “He told me that the red haired girl was flattered by the attention I paid her but had never been interested in dating me.”
 
Kodachi shook her head. “Does that surprise you brother? Even I could see it. She has kicked you, punched you, slapped you and even told you she wasn't interested. She has done everything short of placing an advertisement on television to say she wasn't interested. You were just too stubborn to accept it.”
 
The boy seemed to shake himself out of his mood. “The past is the past, I must think now on how I may meet Sailor Universe.”
 
Kodachi shook her head again. “Easier said than done, brother dear. The Cosmic Senshi have only appeared in public to fight monsters.
 
Having thought about it he said, “I shall study the reports of the witnesses. Perhaps there is a common factor in the direction they fly off in after their battles.”
 
Kodachi's eyes went wide. Did she just hear an intelligent idea proposed by her brother? Perhaps this infatuation with the giant alien woman was good for him after all. She left to go work in her garden.
 
At her home Mizuno Ami had set her homework aside and was looking over the results of her search into giants in the Silver Millennium database. There was actually quite a lot there and it would take some time to wade through it to sort out the useful information.
 
Nabiki was on her bed doing some school work when Kasumi knocked on her door. “Nabiki you have a telephone call. Some girl named Michiko asked to speak to you. Didn't you used to know someone by that name a few years ago?”
 
The middle Tendo was up off her bed and out the door of her room like a shot. “It couldn't be her. I haven't heard from her in ages.” She snatched the phone and demanded, “Michiko, is that you?”
 
“Nabs, I'm back in town and wanted get in touch with you.”
 
Sounding exciting, the brown haired girl asked, “You're back in town? Was there a problem at school?”
 
Sounding slightly smug, the caller answered, “Not unless you think being so brilliant that I graduated early a problem.”
 
Impressed the mercenary Tendo said, “You graduated already? You really are as smart as you always said.”
 
“How's the Ice Queen of Furinkan?”
 
Since the tone had been joking, Nabiki wasn't offended. “I'm never the Ice Queen with you.”
 
“I know that my beautiful Nabs. I'm back in town looking for a business to get involved with. I was able to get out of college with more money than I had going in and I felt it was time to settle down in an honest job.”
 
“Oh…”
 
The caller asked, “What is it, Nabs?”
 
Nabiki explained, “I'm getting out high school operations. Some `people' offered me a job that has a great potential.”
 
Not noticing the special emphasis place on the word “people” Michiko asked, “What kind of a job?”
 
“I'm the sales agent for a company that makes Sailor Senshi merchandise. You know, posters, T-shirts, action figures, that kind of stuff. With the Senshi fighting monsters, they are very much in the public eye right now and the stuff is selling really well.”
 
“Sailor Senshi merchandise? That seems a little unusual for you.”
 
Nabiki explained, “There is stuff related to this that I can't tell you over an unsecured phone line.”
 
There was silence on the line for a moment. “Interesting. Can I come over to talk about it?”
 
Nabiki felt a little thrill go through her. “I'd love to see you for a little face-to-face.”
 
In a teasing tone the caller asked, “Oh, did you have something more in mind than just talking about business?”
 
Nabiki chuckled. “Oh, I don't know. Why don't you come over and let's see what… develops.” There was a huge load of emotional freight in that simple invitation.
 
“I'll be there in about hour.”
 
Anyone watching would have said Nabiki was acting completely out of character after she hung up the phone. In a flurry of activity she was into the furo and out having washed, rinsed and dried. She ran up the stairs and did some rapid tidying up in her room then ran back down the stairs to assemble some prepackaged foods into snacks for her guest.
 
Akane noticed her sister's odd behavior and asked Kasumi about it. “She got a call from someone named Michiko and when the call was finished she started rushing around. I think the girl she spoke to is coming over to visit.”
 
“Michiko,” said Akane musingly. “Isn't that the name of the girl who was her friend when Nabiki first got into high school?”
 
Kasumi considered that. “I believe you're right. They were very close as I recall.”
 
Akane thought back to the times Michiko had visited in the past and the way she had seen her sister and the older girl kissing. “Close” was understating the relationship. Thinking about it made Nabiki's previous comment to Ranma about if she “swung that way” even funnier.
 
When the doorbell rang Nabiki shouted, “I've got it!”
 
Into the house walked a tall girl with long black hair tied in a pony-tail. She was built slender and was pretty without being any real competition to any of the women living in the Tendo home. As they walked in Nabiki was holding one of the taller girl's hands.
 
Nabiki had an uncharacteristic smile on her face as she said, “Akane, Kasumi, I'm sure you must remember Koruma Michiko. She was my friend and business partner when I was just getting into high school.”
 
Both sisters bowed. “I remember,” said Akane.
 
Michiko looked at the youngest Tendo and asked, “I remember you as being sort of uptight. Have you learned to relax some more?”
 
Thinking about what it was like having Ranma around as well as Cosmic Senshi, Akane smiled as she answered, “Yeah, I've loosened up a lot.”
 
Michiko nodded. “Glad to hear it. Hey Kasumi, still the domestic goddess?”
 
Kasumi wasn't immediately sure how to answer that considering that she had met a real goddess. She settled for saying, “Yes, I am.”
 
The visitor smiled. “I don't know how you can play the mom and do all the cooking and cleaning and still look so gorgeous. I have always envied you for that.”
 
Ranma-chan was just coming into the room and overheard. She looked on and thought, “She's smooth.”
 
The visitor spied the tall redhead and her eyes got very wide. “Nabs, you never told me you have a supermodel living in the same house with you.”
 
What a load of BS,” Thought Ranma-Chan. “Thank you, but I'm not a supermodel, I'm a martial artist. My name is Saotome Ranma.”
 
A look of confusion came to Michiko's face. “I recognize that name. That was the name of the leader of the Nerima 5 who fought the monsters. But I thought he was a boy.”
 
Grinning, Ranma told herself, “Going to mess with this girl's head.” Ranma changed into a male. “You mean like this? “
 
Michiko let out a small shriek and jumped back. “But just now you were a girl.”
 
He explained, “Because of an ancient Chinese curse I can change sex at will. I have to spend about half my time as a girl or I find myself changing totally at random. I believe it's better to only change when I will it.”
 
The visitor protested, “That's… that's impossible!”
 
The boy shrugged, “Actually no, it's not. One of the other members of the Nerima 5 has the same curse. You might be interested to know that Akane is also a member of the Nerima 5. She has fought monsters just like one of the Sailor Senshi.”
 
Now genuinely impressed and no longer just trying to flatter people, Michiko said, “Nabiki, you never mentioned that. You live with celebrities.”
 
The middle sister tugged her friend's hand and asked, “Please don't make such a big deal of it. We get enough of that stuff at school.”
 
Looking contrite, the visitor addressed Ranma, “I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable.”
 
Ranma waved it aside. “Don't worry about it. We've kind of got used to it. It's nothing on what the Senshi must go through all the time when they go out in public.”
 
Curious, Michiko asked, “Have you met the Senshi?”
 
“No, they mostly stay in other parts of Tokyo.” He reflected that with his dreams, it probably wouldn't be too much longer before she did meet the senshi.
 
When they got to Nabiki's room, they sat on the bed. Michiko shook her head, “When I read the name Tendo Akane in the newspaper I just never made the connection. I knew she was into martial arts but I never thought she would be fighting monsters.”
 
Nabiki told her, “Ranma's been training her. My sister can seriously kick ass now. It's done wonders for her confidence.”
 
Impressed she replied, “I can see where it would.”
 
“Michiko?”
 
“Yes Nabs.”
 
“Has anyone ever told you that you talk too much?”
 
“Huh?”
 
Further conversation was cut off when Nabiki kissed Michiko very thoroughly. When finally their lips disengaged Michiko said happily, “I really missed you.”
 
“I missed you too. I know you graduated and had to go on to college but you could have called or come to visit. The letters you sent just weren't the same.”
 
“Would you like to make up for lost time?”
 
With a huge smile, Nabiki answered, “Yeah, I'd like that a lot.” As they kissed this time their hands began to explore each other's bodies.
 
Normally there was a half day of school on Saturday but the school had to close for repairs this week. There had been damage from a martial arts battle and for a change it was one that didn't involved Ranma.
 
Ranma took advantage of that. He and Ryoga spent Friday night sleeping over at Nodoka's house. This allowed the trio to start their shopping expedition right when the stores opened for business.
 
On this occasion they didn't actually buy much, since Ryoga pleaded a limited budget. Still they did a lot of window shopping and tried on dozens of outfits. As Ranma had on the previous week, Ryoga started out hating it, but finally started getting into the spirit of it. She ended up enjoying it
 
At the home of Mizuno Ami the senshi were having their regular weekly meeting. All were eager to learn what Ami had found in her search of the archives on her computer.
 
She summarized. “During the Silver Millennium two alien beings came to visit the Moon Kingdom. They said they had come from alternate reality where there never had been a Moon Kingdom. While they said they had come from Earth they were giants with powers unlike anything previously seen.”
 
“These two claimed that they had started out as humans and had been transformed into their giant identities. Their own home reality faced numerous threats and they were on a trip through multiple realities to learn how to properly use their powers so they would be better ready to defend their home world. Their names were Mykon and Jora.”
 
“The giants joined the senshi and helped us to fight problems that threatened the kingdom. With each battle they grew in strength and power. Then came the attempted invasion by a race called the Jindrax. They were too clever to strike in a straight on attack but used a diversion to draw our forces to one side of the kingdom. While our forces were so engaged (including the senshi) the main Jindrax fleet struck on the opposite side of the Kingdom.”
 
“The giants had stayed behind from meeting the diversionary attack. They had said that it was a small enough force that the Senshi could handle it and they argued that it was foolish to commit all our forces to handle a single attack. When the main enemy force attacked on the far side of the kingdom the giants went to meet them.”
 
“The record has some parts that are vague or blacked out because of security overrides. It would require special security clearance to access those parts of the record. I can try to hack it, but it will take time as the security protocols are very sophisticated.”
 
“There was some kind of secret project or secret weapon that was sent out to back up the giants. When it arrived the pilot or pilots found out that the battle was over and the giants had managed to destroy every one of the Jindrax ships but at a heavy cost. Mykon lost a leg and Jora lost an arm and both were so badly wounded that they were not expected to survive. Saturn was able to stabilize their life forces and Jupiter and Mars were able to provide them with enough raw energy to let them begin healing themselves.”
 
“For their efforts Queen Serenity rewarded them. They were given prosthetic limbs to replace what they had lost. These were crafted by the best technology that Silver millennium technicians use. The Queen also made them honorary senshi with the all of the rights and privileges mentioned by Sailor Universe in the interview.”
 
“I took the image of Sailor Cosmos from the video tape and compared it to the image of the giant named Jora from the Moon Kingdom database. The hairstyle is different and obviously the clothes, but the match is perfect. Either Sailor Cosmos is Jora or she is a very good copy.”
 
The rest of senshi took a moment to absorb that. “So who is Sailor Universe?” asked Sailor Neptune.
 
Ami frowned. “I've got less to go on with her. She doesn't look anything like Mykon, who was a very hunky looking male. However, there are some mannerisms and ways of speaking exhibited by Sailor Universe that are very much like mannerisms that Mykon showed during the Silver Millennium.”
 
“What does that mean?” asked Pluto.
 
“I'm not sure,” replied Ami. “Maybe Sailor Universe is deliberately trying to act like Mykon. She may be trying to take the place of a husband that Jora lost in the years between the Silver Millennium and now.”
 
Haruka joked, “Maybe Mykon changed himself into a woman so he could be more like a `real' senshi.”
 
Ami looked at the boyish blonde and said, “I know you meant that as a joke, but I am considering it as a serious possibility.”
 
The rest of the senshi protested at this idea. Ami waited them out. “They said they were traveling to train and learn how to use their powers. Who can guess how strong they got in the time between then and now. The Cosmic Senshi handled the monster attacks like it was no more effort for them than picking a piece of lint of our clothes would be for us. If they have grown that much in power, then maybe changing a man into a woman wouldn't be so hard for them.”
 
Setsuna chimed in, “I find that difficult to accept. I remember those two and Mykon was one of the most masculine beings I have ever encountered. Without being macho or arrogant he exuded an aura of masculinity, of pure maleness that made human women lust after him. Even I remember thinking what a shame it was that he was married.”
 
To say the rest of the senshi were shocked by this pronouncement would be an understatement. To hear the normally cool and aloof Senshi of Time openly speak of being sexually attracted to an alien humanoid (and a married one at that) was not the sort of thing they expected.
 
Noticing the stares she was getting, Setsuna said, “What? I am still a woman, you know. I was young and horny once.”
 
Ami tried to reestablish control of the meeting. “As interesting as that is it doesn't answer the basic questions. The information that I was able to get from the Moon Kingdom database seems to have left us with as many questions as it answered. It looks like it is now a major priority that we meet with these people.”
 
Rei asked, “How are we going to do that? In the interview they said they want to meet with us, but that we'd have to ask for it. They didn't give any hint of how we're going to do that. There was no phone number, no address or even come cryptic reference to a place where we fought before so we could meet them there. If we can't contact them, how can we arrange a meeting?”
 
Usagi said, “It looks like we wait for them to contact us.”
 
Author's Note: Yeah, I know it's not really original to make Nabiki a lesbian. In all of my other fics she's bi instead of full out lesbian. I just feel like it explains why she was groping Ranma's breasts in the first episode.