Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Being True To Your Heart ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
* * *

* * *" Knowing Others Is

Intelligence,

Knowing Yourself Is

True Wisdom." Lau-Tzu

* * *

"RANMA YOU JERK!!" There was a loud crash and a figure with a pigtail was seen flying through the night sky, the blue shirt glinting in the moonlight. Akane Tendo wiped the tears from her eyes and ran from the dojo, ignoring the stares as pale blue flowers floated to the ground behind her. Stumbling and taking a fall on the way, she found herself at the bridge she always found herself at whenever she was upset. Akane sat down and regarded the sobbing person that the murky canal water reflected. The girl in the water was sobbing, her hair a wild tangle, dropping flowers clung to some strands while the others rested at her shoulders or at her feet, the dress, once magnificent in it's elegance now bore smudges of dirt and a wide hole in the skirt. But worst of all were the girl's eyes; a deep sorrow had filled their depths leaving tears in its wake. Akane slammed her hand in the water, distorting the image. Why Ranma? Why? Why can't we ever be happy?

* * * A Few Days Earlier

* * *

"Breakfast everyone!" Kasumi's voice echoed throughout the house and reached out to halt the sparring in mid air. SPLASH!

"You call that an attack pop?" SPLASH! "Hey! What you do that for?!?" The door slid open to reveal a soggy giant panda and a soaked redhead with a pigtail. Ranma threw a fist sideways to catch the panda hard in the stomach then proceeding to stomp toward the kitchen for some hot water. Meanwhile, the rest of the Tendo household gathered at their usual spots at the table; Soun calmly reading the newspaper, Nabiki sat reading the stock report occasionally jotting a word or two down in her leather bound notebook, and eventually Akane came in, still slightly flushed from her morning jog, to sit down trying not to notice that the place beside hers was empty. It was soon filled and then all that could be heard was the sound of food being inhaled. Kasumi had to clear her throat several times before anyone noticed her.

"Oh my, I actually got all of your attention. Now, what was I going to say? Oh yes, I remember now. You see everyone, I had this interesting dream last night; I was in the middle of a giant forest, and I was so scared because it was so dark, and then these cute little fairies came up to me and told me to hold a Midsummer Ball."

"It's spring Kasumi," Nabiki said, breaking the baffled silence that took hold after Kasumi's small speech.

"Yes, I know that Nabiki, but I think it will be fun. We can hold it in the dojo and everyone can come dressed as a fairy." Ranma choked on his rice.

"No Way! There's no way I'm dressn' up as a dumb fairy. I ain't wearn' wings!"

"That's alright Ranma, but please remember to dress nicely . . and do try to wear spring colors."

"Yeah, whatever."

"I made up some invitations, "Kasumi held out a large pile of envelopes. "Ranma, Akane, could you two deliver these for me on your way to school? I would do it myself but there's so much work to do here at home."

"Sure Kasumi! Come on Ranma, if we don't leave now, we'll be late to school." Akane scooped up the invitations and grabbed Ranma's hand, dragging him out the door.

"Hey Akane! Wait a sec! I didn't finish eating! Hey! Wait! Akane, WAIT!" SPLASH! The old woman strikes again. Ranma planted her feet, a disgruntled expression plastered across her face. "I said WAIT!!!!" Akane whipped around.

"What IS it Ranma? Oh! When did you-"

"Didn't we go through this before? Jeez, next time wait when I say wait, ya uncute tomboy." The insult earned him a good-sized whack from Akane's pack.

"Well? Now I'm waiting, what is it?" Akane stood with an impatient frown, her hand reflexively gripping the handle of her bag. Ranma sighed and swiped a lock of dark red hair from in front of her eyes.

"Well, I was gonna say that dontcha think we should look at who the invitations are addressed to before we start running?"

"Oh. . right, well, I was just about to do that," Akane responded, a faint blush creeping into her cheeks.

"Yeah, sure you were. . . Nyhhhhhhhhhh!"

"Nyhhhh!" Akane stuck her tongue out right back at Ranma. "Idiot, now, lets see. . who did Kasumi invite. . "Ranma looked over her shoulder as Akane flipped through the invitations. On viewing some of the names, she let out a low whistle and tugged on her pigtail.

"Who, she invited everyone; the Kunos, Shampoo, Moose, and the old hag. . .and Ukyo. . "

"And look, she invited most of our friends from school," Akane pointed to the envelopes.

"Why do I suddenly get the feeling that this might be another one of Pop's stupid schemes to-"

"Ranma! It's Kasumi's party, our dads were as shocked as we were when she announced it."

"Maybe they were just pretending."

"Ranma, our dads are even worse at lying than you."

"Hey!"

"It's true you know. Oh great! She invited Ryoga too!" Ranma rolled her eyes at Akane's exclamation. Oh great she says, what's she gettn' so excited over that dumb pig for anyway. . .

* * * The Present

* * *

Ranma sighed and pulled himself out of the heap of garbage he had landed in. He brushed his shirt off with swift smooth strokes wincing as he felt the fresh bruises. Reaching back to tug on his pigtail, Ranma noticed something was missing. He turned around and spied a crumpled pale blue flower on the gravel. The stab of guild dug deeper in his heart as he lifted the blossom from the ground. Akane. . .

* * * Earlier That Day

* * *

Akane stepped in front of t he mirror and allowed herself a small squeal of pure giddiness upon viewing her reflection. She had been waiting to get the dress ever since she had spied it in the store window. When that dumb jerk sees me in this dress he'll never call me uncute again. . .not that I really care what he thinks anyway. . . Akane spun in a small circle and watched as the silky blue skirt flared out briefly then die down to swirl gently against her legs. The bodice hugged her lightly muscled frame and emphasized the gentle curve of her hips. She reached behind to tighten the dark blue bow around her waist and slipped her feet into the matching slippers. And now for the final touch. . She took the pale blue flowers picked that morning from the dresser and carefully arranged them into a cluster, sweeping half her hair to the back, she placed the flowers into a small clip and fastened it to the waiting hair.

With one last beaming smile at the reflection, Akane rushed down the stairs toward the kitchen. Kasumi was at the stove, humming a cheerful tune, and Ranma, wearing a sky blue version of his Chinese shirt, was leaning against the counter with his back to Akane.

"Hey Kasumi! Do you need any help with the cooking?"

"Hehheh, from you Akane? Who are you kidding? You Know you can't coo-" At that moment Ranma turned around and caught site of Akane. His mouth dropped open, all his words now lost. His blue-gray eyes went wide with shock. Akane smiled.

"Something wrong Ranma? For a second there, I thought you were about to make fun of my cooking again. . . were you?" She watched Ranma swallow and stutter numerous times with a satisfied smirk on her face.

"Uh. . . I ah. . .well. . .I. . ."

"Well? I'm waiting. ." Ranma jerked his head in an unsteady nod. Kasumi merely stood back, hiding her sweet smile by her hand. Oh my, even without speaking he's put his foot in his mouth again.

"Ranma?" Step by step Akane got closer to Ranma batting her eyelashes and giving him what she hoped was her cutest smile. The smile alone as usual dispersed any coherent thought in Ranma's head. He attempted to back away slowly, his ears tinged with pink. She's . . she's so cuute. . . "I want to give you something Ranma," He fairly trembled at the sound of her voice almost caressing his name. By now she had him up against the counter.

"Um. . . what. . ?" His eyes widened even further as her face neared his, the scent of wild flowers now engulfed his senses. What's she. . . she got even nearer, No. . she couldn't be. .could she?

"This!" WHAM! She slung the used mallet over her shoulder and flipped a strand of hair out of her face as she eyed Ranma's prone form. "Jerk, I thought I told you not to make fun of my cooking again!" She turned and stomped out of the kitchen. As she made her exit, one of the pale blue flowers flew from her hair and floated softly to the ground. Kasumi bent and picked it up to tuck it into the end of Ranma's pert braid.

"There you go Ranma, now you and Akane match," to Ranma, her sugary smile seemed to dare him to take it out, and warned him of the dire consequences that would follow. He got to his feet and patted the flower. Kasumi tactfully held back her 'oh my' as a small mystified smile came out of nowhere to plaster itself on Ranma's face. She was kinda cute in that dress. . . . but what she hit me for?

* * *"Thou Art To

Me A

Delicious Torment."

Ralph Waldo Emmerson

* * *

On to Chapter Two