Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Being True To Your Heart ❯ Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

* * *

"Love Is Dead.

We Are Cured,

But Are We Happy?" Therese Albertine Louise Robinson

* * *

Kasumi sighed deeply as she picked up the last of the streamers from the dojo floor. I thought this party was such a good idea, and it was turning out so well in the beginning too. She looked up with despairing eyes at the hole in the ceiling where raindrops fell faintly through onto the wood floor. Poor Akane, oh little sister, I wish you didn't have to get hurt so much. The sound of the dojo door sliding open startled her out of her thoughts. Akane walked in, her head bent towards the ground. Her hair was slightly damp, poor dear. . she got caught in the rain. . her pajama top haphazardly buttoned in haste most likely, and in her hands two boxes.

"Akane?" The youngest Tendo looked up suddenly, her sorrow filled eyes wide.

"Kasumi? I didn't know you were in here. . " Kasumi walked forward to lay a warm hand on her shoulder.

"I was just about to leave, but before I do. . tell me Akane, are you all right?" She bent forward, her warm brown eyes searching.

"Y-yes, I'm fine Kasumi. . " Akane looked down this time in shame, unable to lie, "no, that's not true . . right now I'm. . I'm really feeling horrible."

"Would you like to talk about it?"

"You don't have to be a mother to me Kasumi," she shrugged the hand off.

"Akane, I wasn't asking as a mother, I was asking as a sister. . do you want to talk about it? Maybe it will make you feel better." Akane looked away to one of the dojo's windows.

"Thanks Kasumi, but no. . I don't think I'll ever want to talk about this."

"But Akane, I know you're hurt." She reached her hands out to grasp Akane's shoulders gently.

"I am. . . but I'll get over it. And to do that, I need to be myself."

"You're sure?"

"Yes. Once I do what I have to in here, I won't ever be hurt by him again."

"But-"

"Please Kasumi, I need to be alone right now. I appreciate your concern, but-" Kasumi smiled her signature gentle smile and walked toward the sliding door.

"I understand Akane, "she opened the sliding door and stepped out, "just remember, if you ever decide you do want to talk about what happened today, I'll be there for you." She closed the door.

"I know Kasumi."

* * *

Akane sighed deeply and after walking to the center of the dojo, went down to her knees. The rain fell gently, the sound

echoing softly through the room. The moonlight leaked through the broken area to lighten the darkness around her. She placed the cardboard shoe box to the side, concentrating instead on the latched wooden box in her hand. It had been a birthday present from her mother, painted sky blue and adorned with yellow flowers drawn with loving care. 'It's for your most secret treasures,' she had whispered in her ear, a mischievous smile on her face, not unlike the one Akane now possessed. Oh mom, I wish you were here now more than ever.

Setting the box gently on the floor in front of her, she carefully flipped up the latch and lifted the lid.

The objects on top were quickly set aside, hardly a glance was spared to the attempts at artwork, ribbons and medals for athletic competitions, family photos, all were set aside. What was left was hidden in the bottom of the box, the place for her Most secret treasures.

"I don't have a choice anymore," Akane whispered as she lifted the first 'treasure' out. Small pieces of leather came out of the box. It was the backpack he brought the first day of school that had gotten destroyed by Kuno's bokken. I tried to sew it for you. . but. .well. .it didn't quite turn out right. . No one ever knew she had even attempted it, but she did keep the remains. You were the first boy who wouldn't fight me, who saw me as a friend before a fiancee. If only that friendship could have grown instead of gradually falling apart. . but neither of us would let it. . both too stubborn I guess. . After placing the leather strips into the shoe box beside her, Akane then picked up a crumbling cookie wrapped in plastic. The one time you said my cooking was pretty good. . even though you did get sick afterwards. . She set it in the shoe box. Next came a picture, a copy that was strategically left on her bed the day after. It showed a startled Akane with a neko Ranma sitting on her lap, contenting himself by placing his lips on hers. Into the shoe box it went, along with many unanswered questions that had plagued her mind since the incident. The last item to be pulled out was the whistle of the horned mongoose. It used to give her memories of the little boy who saved her. But now, whenever she had held it, she saw him. The fierceness in his gaze as he declared that she was his, how secure she had felt in his arms as they soared through the air, the warmth in the hand that had cradled hers gently. That one whistle held so many of her hopes and dreams. This is where I knew that I loved you. . . Akane bit her lip in an effort to stop the tears threatening to take control once more. Oh Ranma. . . you. . you said I was yours. . we risked it all for each other . you held my hand, I felt so warm. . and happy.

"and then we came home and again, All I was to you was an uncute. . clumsy. . tom-" her last whispered word collided into tears. A tomboy, that uncute girl you wouldn't go anywhere near. . I thought you were just stalling for a while. . still too young to get married. . and then Saffron happened. You told me. . "or at least I though you did. . and then when I asked you. . you wouldn't say it .. " But I forgave that too, same reason, we're too young. . but tonight. . you threw it completely away again, any chance that we might have been happy. . together. . you threw it away. Giving the whistle one last squeeze, she dropped it into the shoe box. Gathering both boxes up, Akane walked out of the dojo to the garbage can standing nearby as a pair of unseen eyes looked on.

"And now it's my turn to throw you away. . for good," she whispered into the still night, the rain having stopped some time ago. Akane walked into the house failing to notice that behind her back, feminine hands were lifting the discarding shoe box out of the trash.

"Oh my. . ."

* * *

Ranma Saotome was a lot of great things to many people; strong, handsome, brave, intelligent. . well sort of, fast, heartthrob, manly. . but tonight, tonight he didn't feel like he was anything except an ignorant coward. Although he hid it well, Ranma knew he did many things wrong, handled many situations pretty badly, but everything always managed to turn out right in the end. But not tonight, tonight he made the biggest foul up in his life that he knew wouldn't come out all right any time soon.

Ranma walked along the fence, the rain pouring down on her, thinking once again of Akane. The uncute girl occupied her thoughts all the time, pictures of her angry, happy, sad, confused, stubborn flashed constantly. It's not like he couldn't be nice to her, he could. . but he had so much fun getting her angry. She's just so easy to tease, it's hard to resist. . The sparks that would enter her eyes, the fire in her soul, the stubborn and proud jut of her chin as she glared up at him. . she was a fighter down to the core, just like him. The rain stopped and she looked up noticing she was near Ucchan's. Maybe I can get some hot water there before I go home. . she thought briefly before going back to the tomboy once again.

She often wondered if Akane knew she was being teased. I mean, how many times have I had to say. . it was a joke. . and then she still hits me. . It had never occurred to her that maybe since all she does is make fun of her, that she actually took her insults to heart. She walked up to Ucchan's front door, peering inside at the clock before knocking. 1:40? How long was I walking? Well, the party's probly over now, I wonder if she's still up . . She knocked softly. After a minute, a face peered out the window, then suddenly the door flew open.

"Ranma honey! What brings you here?" Ukyo grabbed Ranma's hand and dragged her inside. Pushing her onto a stool, she quickly ran to get some hot water. "Oh Ranma sweetie, what happened to you." Ukyo asked giving the now male Ranma a worried look. The fight they had tonight must have been a dusey. .he looks horrible. . "Is it about what happened at the party?"

"Yeah," he sighed and rested his head of the counter, "I messed up big time."

"Aw Ranma, I wouldn't worry about, you and Akane always fight, and you always will. . " And once you get that through our thick skull, you'll realize how wrong she is for you. .

"Not this time Ukyo. . it's over. . " O-over? Did he just say what I think he said?

"What do you mean over?"

"She hates me. . and you know what? I don't blame her. . She broke off the engagement for real this time. . I- I made her cry Ukyo." Akane broke off the engagement! Wow, she must have been really hurt to do that. . I wonder if she's okay. . time out girlfriend, this is your chance. .don't look that gift horse in the mouth. . sure Akane's your friend and she'll be hurt, but she'll just have to get over it. . she had her chance and she blew it. . it won't be my fault it he comes to me. . okay. . slow down girl. . he's looking pretty down in the dumps right now. . just play the most supportive best friend you can and he'll be yours in no time. . Ukyo plastered a pretty believable shocked and sorrowful look on her face as she laid a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Don't sweat it Ranma, it was bound to happen sooner or later, " she consoled softly. His head came slightly off the table to give her a curious glance.

"What do ya mean 'it was bound to happen sooner or later?'"

"Oh come on Ranma, I mean I like Akane and everything, but is she really right for you? You two are always fighting," with and somehow for each other. but there's no reason we have to mention that. . Ukyo felt a small stab of guilt at that thought, but she quickly pushed it away, Ranma was worth any guilt to her. "She's always hitting you with that heavy duty mallet of hers,"wouldn't you prefer a giant spatula instead? "and she's such a tomboy. . " Ranma sighed once more in response and turned around on the stool to stare through the window at the night sky. Yeah she's a tomboy, no question about that, a wry smile took hold, but she was my tomboy. . the smile died. "Maybe this is a good thing Ranma, you could concentrate on other people, like-" Ukyo's last word was cut off as Ranma suddenly stood up and walked towards the door.

"I'm gonna go now Ukyo, it's getting kind of late and I want to walk some more before I go home. . need to think some things out. . thanks for the talk and stuff, I'll see ya later," and he was gone, the door swinging softly closed behind him. Ukyo sighed and walked towards the counter, swiping the wash rag over it to pass the time. To pass the time because there was no way she would ever get to sleep now, she grinned, not with all the planning I have to do. . don't worry Ranma, you'll be happy soon, as soon as I get you to see that I'm the one for you. .

* * *

"Be Good

And You Will

Be Lonesome." Mark Twain

* * *

Chapter Five Coming Soon. . .