Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Did I Tell You that I Love You? ❯ Chapter two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Did I Tell You that I Love You?
Chap: 2
Not only did I catch up to volume nine, I even surpassed it:p (It sounds like some sort of victory when I write it that way.) I also updated sooner thanks to TingLiang's encouragement. (Now there's the real victory.)
-
Ranma heard Akane's shuffling limp just in time to assume a casual espression. "Back so soon? Don't tell me you're ready to apologize?"
Akane gave him a look that said she would gladly bite off his head and dance on the remains. "Not for something that wasn't my fault," she retorted. "I came to get the shoe I left behind." The young woman struggled to maintain her dignity despite the blush spreading on her face.
Ranma raised a sardonic eyebrow and held up the crumpled object. "You mean this shoe?" he asked in a bored tone.
Akane's eye twitched with the effort to remain calm. "I guess the joke's on you because that very expensive shoe belongs to me roommate," she explained with an over-sweet smile.
The cocky youth clasped his hands behind his head. "I don't see what that has to do with me."
"I told you this isn't my fault," Akane answered in exasperation. "You stomped on that shoe so you should be the one to pay for it."
Ranma jumped up to his feet. "I'm not the one who threw it at a person's head!" he bellowed. "I didn't start this fight either. I was trying to get along with you when you called me a pervert!"
"You were teasing me!" Akane defended herself.
"Exactly!" Ranma shouted in exasperation. "I was just teasing you. Quit taking everything so literally."
"Then you should stop being so sensitive," the irate girl blurted out the first reprimand that came to her mind.
"Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?" he snorted.
Once again frustrated to the point of tears, she couldn't deny the truth of his rebuke. "Just ... give me back the shoe." Her hand shot out expectanly with the demand.
Ranma had always been a sucker for girls's tears, and now was no different. The guilt kicked in as soon as he noticed the moisture forming in the corner of his fiancee's eyes. Unfortunately, his "consolation" consisted of a gruff, "Hey, come on. Don't be like this."
Understandbly, the ebony-haired girl bristled at his lack of sensitivity. "Like what? You can't call me a macho chick, I haven't thrown anything!" Akane didn't reveal that she felt inclined to do just that should he push her any farther. "I was happy when we agreed to start our friendship afresh this morning," she continued. "But I guess we've ... hurt each other too much to forget the past."
Ranma turned his head to glare at the wall. "You don't have to be so dramatic about it," he chastised dryly. "I thought I was cooperating with you. Isn't that a good sign?"
Akane bit her lip and crossed her arms. "It's obvious if we want to get along we need to set some rules."
"No more calling me pervert," Ranma immediately demanded. "And no more jumping to conclusions just because you find me in compromising situations." The young man looked affronted when a small giggle escaped his fiancee. "Well you do!" he snapped hotly. "I never asked the girls to chase after me!"
Some of the humor escaped Akane's face. "My humor had nothing to do with the disgusting bimbos who throw themselves at you. What you said sounded so ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh." The young woman sighed. As ludicrous as it sounded, some fanatical woman usually did overpower him with some crazy scheme. And loathe as she was to admit it, her jealousy usually did bring her to the wrong conclusion. "In that case, you have to stop calling me names, too." Akane referred to his earlier request.
"Well don't expect me to spew out compliments," Ranma replied with a hot face.
"It's not like that would kill you," Akane muttered. "And speaking of kill, I want you to stop picking on Ryoga so much."
"He's the one that starts it!" Her fiance hollered. "I should be allowed to defend myself."
Akane narrowed her eyes. "You like to antagonize him."
"I can't help it," Ranma shrugged, "he makes it too easy."
Again, Akane couldn't disagree with him. Ryoga's temper was as bad as Ranma's and his slow wit allowed him to be repeatedly fooled by his nemesis. "Still," she continued, "I don't see why you two have to fight so much."
'Because he's an idiot," Ranma thought blandly. 'We're both jealous idiots.' "Dunno," he answered with a bored shrug. "So ... you still wanna have dinner?" Ranma casually peeked at Akane from the corner of his eye. The girl blinked at him, unprepared for his request.
"I ... uh ..."
Ranma grinned to himself. He would never admit it, but he thought she actually looked cute when she was flustered.
Akane glared at his chesire expression. "Fine," she ground out, "but you're paying for everything!"
"Yeah, I already figured that," he muttered. "But I'm still not paying for that shoe."
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Akane's roommate had remained surprisingly calm about the matter of her ruined shoe. After her face returned to it's normal color, Megumi forgave her friend any coubt she felt she owed. Still, Megumi had forbade Akane from ever borrowing her things again.
"They didn't really suit me anyway," Akane replied. "I'm sure you've noticed I have a more casual style."
"Yes, well, not everyone can share my high sense of fashion." Megumi's lips curled into a teasing smile.
Her mind distracted, Akane mumbled an incomprehensible sound. Discussing clothes reminded Akane of her dinner arrangement with Ranma. She was a little embarrassed to admit it even to herself, but the young woman was contemplating the nature of said arrangement. Was it a date, or just a friendly supper? Ranma's tone had been casual enough not to indicate anything serious. Yet ... the blush on his face when he asked told a different story.
If she asked Ranma, and he didn't consider it a date, eating would be awkward for both of them. Akane frowned, this wasn't like her. She didn't usually worry about the kind of impressions she made. 'Besides, we've eaten a lot of meals together,' she reasoned. 'Sometimes we were even alone. This time won't be any different.'
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
As Akane had feared, the experience had been awkward for both of them. Ranma had suffered from the same indecision, and both individuals had the irrational fear that an acquaintance would barge in to challange them or a crazy relative would pop up and plan their imminent marriage. However, by the end of the night, the couple had to agree it had been a rather uneventful outing. It had been a wonderful experience for both of them.
Three months later they were sitting across from each other in the same busy cafe they had inhabited when they agreed to alter their relationship. Akane had met Ranma with intention to quiz each other for their finals, however, the conversation gradually changed to a disscussion of future plans. They had promised their family they would return over summer vacation, and both were worried over how much they should reveal of their developing romance. "We shouldn't tell them anything," Ranma repeatedly insisted. "You know they'll only shove us into a marriage within the month and I don't want that!"
Akane stiffened. "Then why don't we just drop this disscussion and you can romance one of your other fiancees. You know, one of the cuter ones."
"You know I didn't mean it that way. I meant I'm not ... ready for marriage yet. We're still in the first year of college, how can we handle marriage? And what if we have a kid?"
"I agree," Akane nodded, "but, I also don't want to go back to arguing all the time, even if it is just for a cover. What if we start hurting each other again? And you know we won't be able to fool my sisters."
"Kasumi would help us, if we asked her. But Nabiki ..."
Akane sighed, "Nabiki's silence would require a huge bribe, and even that's no guarantee. Especially if Kuno is around, she can't seem to resist messing with him." Both fell silent as they considered what to do. Finally, Ranma mustered up the courage to break the silence with his next suggestion. "We should tell Ukyo."
"Excuse me?" Akane's voice was deathly calm, causing the young man to squirm. "What makes you think that would be a good idea? Do you even remember what happened at the wedding?"
"Of course," he answered, "but that was only because she knew we didn't want that. If I explain this to her, she'll accept it."
Akane scoffed. "I'll agree that Ukyo is more rational than your other fangirls, and I would be glad if she accepted our decision. She's loyal and dedicated and I respect that. However, she's never done anything to encourage your notion. Face it Ranma, she wants you for herself and she'll do whatever it takes to get you."
"It's too bad you feel that way," Ranma replied, hurt at her negative opinion of his friend. "Cuz I already arranged to meet her today."
"What?" This time, Akane's voice wasn't so calm. "Without asking me? This really isn't a good idea and I would have told you that sooner if you had asked my opinion!"
"Well I didn't ask for your opinion!" Ranma yelled, once again drawing the open stares of surrounding customers. "And I don't appreciate you saying bad things about my friend. Ucchan's a good person! Stop being so jealous of her!"
"Jealous? Why should I be jealous of a girl who runs around impersonating a boy! You call me a macho chick, but at least I'm not gender confused!"
Ranma's face screwed up into a fierce scowl, tempting Akane to hide under the table. "You know, we may argue less now, but before I think you used to be less cruel." With that disparaging comment, Ranma stormed out of the building, leaving Akane alone to suffer everyone's curious stares this time.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Ranma stewed under a tree in the park he arranged to meet Ukyo at. He knew Ukyo had done some harmful things in the past, but that didn't give Akane the right to attack her. Truthfully, he had been hoping the two women would be friends. Aside from Akane, Ukyo was the one person he didn't have to grudingly consider a friend and he didn't have to worry about her attacking him every five minutes and dragging him off to do unpleasant things. It would make his life much easier if these two important people got along. Ukyo was reasonable, she would understand, why couln't Akane see that?
So deep was Ranma in his contemplation of the mystery of the female mind, he didn't hear the tree rustle ever so slightly behind him.
Shampoo stared down at the pigtailed boy beneath her, impressed with her skills that allowed her to catch him unawares. Swiftly she pulled out a bottle and jumped to attack the unsuspecting Ranma.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Ranma blinked open bleary eyes to find a cute girl staring intensly at his face. "Gah!" He backed up only to realize he was trapped.
"What Akane mean to you?" The woman demanded.
Ranma stared at her as if her words were as foriegn as her purple hair. "What?"
"Akane!" She repeated impatiently. "Do you know her?"
The name caused an eerie feeling of deja vu to brush against the corners of his memory. However, it was no match for the 411 formula and it's "refreshing" afteraffect. "I'm sorry," he apologized, "I don't remember that name."
The woman gave a pleased grin. "My name Shampoo," she introduced herself. "You are husband. We going back to China."
-
I'm sorry this is so late! I was on vacation and couldn't type it up, then when I came back I was lazy...
Note: All recommended fanfiction can be found at fanfiction . net unless otherwise stated.
Recommended Fanfiction: Mellow by Andrina Akane returns to Nerima after a long absence to find her father has died. Ranma returns to discover he had a son. A far more touching story than I can describe. :)
I would like to thank: Miyu_starfighter for reviewing!