Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Distance ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After his shower, he got dressed and ate some leftover rice and fruit for breakfast. He should have eaten earlier, but sometimes he just sort of forgot about breakfast. He was still used to Kasumi cooking for the family, even after this long. Not that she should have had to. Ranma wondered, as he chased down the last of his rice, what the other Tendou sisters were doing. As he was wondering this, a knock came at the door. Confused, he glanced briefly at the wall clock in his tiny kitchen before moving to the door and opening it.
On the other side was Kasumi, holding an infant on her hip and smiling. Ranma's brain derailed briefly, but when she bowed to him, he recovered and bowed back. “Uh… Kasumi?” Ranma asked, stepping aside to allow her entrance. “What're you doin' here? I mean,” he corrected hastily, not wanting to be rude, “it's very nice to see you, but…”
Kasumi kicked off her shoes daintily and bounced what was no-doubt her son or daughter on her hip. The infant was wearing a yellow hooded Onesie with a duck on the chest, and was looking at Ranma with a curious expression. Kaibutsu bounded up to her, but seemed to quiet in her presence, like most people and animals did. She held the baby carefully away from the dog and petted him with one small hand.
“Your apartment is lovely, Ranma,” she turned, standing in the middle of the room like a ghost from the past in her white and blue striped sundress, the same ponytail trailing over her shoulder, “this is Kimiko. Kimiko, say hello to Uncle Ranma.” The baby glared at him and Ranma smiled nervously.
“I don't think she likes me too much,” he said quietly, sticking out a finger; Kimiko instinctively grabbed it, gripping it with surprising strength, “hoo, she's got quite a grip there, Kasumi. This big lug is Kaibutsu. Sit boy!” Ranma ruffled his dog's head, and the animal “huffed” and settled down obediently on his haunches.
“He's very well-behaved.” Kasumi observed politely. Ranma's smile almost split his face, and he leaned down to peer closer at Kimiko; her brown eyes were wide, staring back at him. Silence stretched for a moment, Kaibutsu looking back and forth from Kasumi to him, and then Kasumi politely cleared her throat.
“Oh, sorry! Would you like some tea, Kasumi?” Ranma asked, standing up straight from teasing the baby with his fingers, finally getting a small smile out of her.
Kasumi shook her head. “No, Ranma. I can't stay long,” at his disappointed look, she giggled, “I have to get Kimiko home for her midday nap, that's all. I came over to invite you to dinner with me and Ono tonight.”
Ranma was shocked. Hot tears suddenly welled up in his eyes and he turned slightly, pretending to be interested in petting his dog. “At… at the dojo?” he asked quietly.
“Oh, no, I live with Ono, at his clinic,” he couldn't look up at her; disappointment and relief warred within him for a moment, “Akane will not be there, Ranma.” He looked up at her quickly, and felt pain stab into his chest at the mention of his former fiancée.
“Oh.” Kasumi's look of pity made him want to go and politely drown himself, where she wouldn't have to see him. “I'd love to come.” He said, trying to put a brightness in his voice that he didn't feel, even though it was good to see a friendly face from the Tendou line. “How'd y'know I was back in town?” he asked, trying to steer the topic to somewhere more casual.
“Your mother called me,” he raised his eyebrows in surprise, “I thought you knew we still… spoke?” Kasumi looked concerned for a moment, and Ranma smiled to reassure her.
“Oh, yeah, I just didn't know y'talked about me, that's all.” He laughed and she joined in, juggling her child to her other hip.
“Well, you still remember where the clinic is, yes?” Kasumi asked. He nodded and stood from his crouched position next to his dog and bowed to her, deeply.
“Thank you for the invite, Kasumi,” he smiled warmly at her, and she hugged him very suddenly, Kimiko squawking when she was partially squished between them. Ranma felt tears sting his eyes again as Kasumi pulled away and shushed her grumping child.
“Shh, shh,” she looked up at him, bouncing the baby on her hip and smiling at him, her eyes soft with tears herself, “it is very good to see you, Ranma. I don't want you to think that you have so few people who love you.” She leaned on her tip-toes and kissed his cheek in a motherly fashion. “I'll see you this evening, six sharp!” she chirped, heading for the door and slipping into her shoes.
“Of course! I'll be there, right on time!” excitement bubbled up in his chest, squashed quickly as it had come by the remembered look of pity on her face, “I'll bring some saké or something?” he offered.
“Yes, see you then, Ranma - please, bring Kaibutsu; he's family, too.” And then she was gone, humming her way outside his door and down the hallway. He heard the soft footfalls of her feet upon the stairs, each one like a nail through his chest.
When he heard the door open and close in the main hall downstairs, Ranma allowed himself to collapse on his futon, tears stinging his eyes. He didn't know whether or not he was excited or relieved that Akane wasn't going to be at the clinic, but he did know one thing: he should never have come back to Nerima. The more things change, the more they stay the same; he didn't know why he'd think all the Tendous would be gone.
He'd never asked his mother about her conversations with Kasumi, the only Tendou he presumed she spoke to, and she, in turn, never said anything about it to him. Souun and his father were still best friends, but the older man never came around when Ranma was visiting his folks, which hadn't been often since he was away at junior college.
Kaibutsu walked over and flopped down next to him with a whoosh of sour breath, having stood by the door until he was sure, himself, that Kasumi was not coming back. Ranma sobbed openly now, and Kaibutsu put his large head on the young man's chest and whimpered. Ranma stroked his dog's fur, silently cursing his own weaknesses; not the crying, not the wave after wave of emotions washing through him and wringing him out. No, his weaknesses were something else entirely; his weakness for the Tendous and their affection, that need for them to approve of him again, for there to be a chance, just a small one, to repair the damage he'd done.