Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Distance ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Later that day found Ranma in a hospital, staring down at Master Gyaru as he answered questions for Kenichi.
“So you really didn't get a good look at `em? Last time you said it was too dark, but maybe…” Kenichi trailed off with a sigh as Master Gyaru shook his head sadly. “It's alright, Mr. Gyaru. We'll keep looking into it. We'll let the yakuza know they don't just do whatever they please to Nerima's citizens.” Master Gyaru could only nod.
His jaw was wired shut, and his body was a mess of casts and bandages. His wife, wearily seated next to his bedside, had told Ranma the last time he visited, in no uncertain terms that Gyaru wasn't necessarily going to make a full recovery. His body was damaged in ways that could permanently cost him the use of his legs, and while the doctors had patched up his jaw, he still might lose control of that, as well.
Ranma stared down at his boss, and felt a pang of guilt stabbing at him. This wasn't right; Ranma knew that Master Gyaru should have been the one up and walking around, and Ranma should have been the one injured in a hospital bed. But the gangsters, the yakuza… they wanted Ranma to fight. He couldn't fight without his legs.
“I'm so sorry,” Ranma said again, bowing deeply as Kenichi pulled him outside the room, closing the door behind them. The last thing he saw was Aiko Gyaru smiling weakly at him.
“Hey, hey, Ranma,” Kenichi held him at arms' length and forced Ranma, with his own fierce gaze, to look him right in the eyes, “we got the guys that did this. They aren't gonna get away.”
Ranma nodded slowly. “Yeah, but are you gonna be able t'keep `em?” At Kenichi's confused look, Ranma's expression hardened. “You know what I mean, Kenichi; they're yakuza, how you gonna really do anything about it?”
Kenichi hung his head and looked away. That was all the answer Ranma needed. He turned on his heel and walked away, but Kenichi trailed after him. “Hey, slow down, son—”
Ranma spun around to face him, whispering viciously. “I'm not yer son, old man…!”
The old officer flinched back as though struck, and Ranma wished that he could take the words back. But they hung in the air between them now, like a poisonous vapor.
“No, you aren't,” Kenichi paused, tears in his puffy eyes, “look, Ranma… I know what you mean, and I wanna do all I can. The three men that attacked him are going to be put to justice.”
“I know,” Ranma paused, looking at his feet, and then his eyes narrowed, “did you get any information on that Ichiro guy, yet?”
Kenichi let out a breath and Ranma gazed at him through his lashes, searching the older man's face; he looked worn out. “Yes, but…” he trailed off, “he's from the Sakaume-gumi.” At Ranma's befuddled look, he clarified: “They're designated; I cannot arrest Ichiro unless he steps out of line.”
“Out of line!? He had my boss beat to a pulp!” Several people in the hallway stopped and stared, and Ranma had the decency to blush. Kenichi glared at him and half-dragged him by the arm until they found a private, empty hospital room to talk further.
“He tried to have Master Gyaru killed, Kenichi.” Ranma repeated, clenching his fist in Kenichi's face and shaking it. “Y'gotta do somethin'.”
Kenichi batted the hand aside. “Ranma, I'm gonna do all I can,” he said softly, “I'll talk to some people in Osaka, see what I can do. In the meantime, lay low, don't leave Kita or Nerima, okay? I gotta be able to keep in touch with you.”
“You mean keep an eye on me?” Ranma said wryly.
Kenichi did not return the attitude. If anything, he became more serious. “Kentaro told me that he met you in Kita, Ranma. My son died in a car accident set up by yakuza. These are dangerous people. Do not go after them on some sort of twisted sense of justice.”
Ranma looked away guiltily. “Sorry, Kenichi. You've been a friend t'me, I shouldn't—”
“Relax, Ranma,” the older man patted him on the shoulder and smiled, “I'm just worried about you, that's all.”
“Yeah, well,” Ranma looked up at the ceiling, and let out a whoosh of breath, “I can take care of myself.” He smiled at Kenichi, who looked a little unsure.
They talked logistics for a few more minutes, and Kenichi promised to keep both him and the Gyarus updated as to what was happening with the investigation.
Ranma left afterwards, and headed over to Kasumi's; it was Sunday, the day of his weekly meal with the Tendou-Tofuu's. He sighed and kicked the pavement as he waited for a bus to take him further into Nerima from the hospital. Sweat beaded on his brow, but a cooling breeze swept by to remind him that fall was coming in two weeks. The first month of his summer was spent looking for an apartment, the second spent blissfully ignorant of the coming danger, and now the last two weeks spent feeling like his heart was being ripped from his still-beating chest and fed to a pack of cats whilst he had to watch.
It was unbelievable. He couldn't fathom what had happened to his life.
Briefly, he blamed Kasumi for barging her way into his apartment, but he squelched that thought. It was no one's fault but his own, for neglecting those close to him out of cowardice.
And then he blamed Nabiki, Kasumi, and Ono for not alerting him to Akane's fiancée, and that, he couldn't seem to see a reason to forgive them for right away. There was not an obvious excuse for that, and he resolved to confront Nabiki about it, as she was the least likely to cry or make him feel ashamed of himself and his anger with just a look.
The bus pulled up and he got in, flashing a bus pas and taking a seat at the back, right next to a familiar face that he didn't recognize until he'd sat down. “Akari!?”
The entire bus shushed him, and Ranma smiled nervously at them. Akari Unryu giggled, pressing her hand against her cheek shyly. “Hey, Ranma, how are you? What's it been, four years?”
“Longer!” Ranma laughed out, hugging her, happy to see a friendly face on such a dour day. “What've you been up to?”
Akari coughed politely and held up her left hand, and on her ring finger glimmered a shining silver band. Ranma stared at it in shock. “You got married?” She shook her head, but still smiled happily. “Engaged, then… T'who?”
“Ryouga, of course!” Ranma gaped, and she nodded knowingly. “I know! I never thought he'd get over Akane, but sure enough, he did! We're getting married this fall!”
“That's so great!” Ranma laughed and hugged her again. The bus rumbled on and he thought, once again, the strangeness of his life was working out. “So… why are you back in Nerima?”
Akari's face fell and she looked away, gripping her skirt. “Ryouga's missing, isn't `e?” She nodded and sighed heavily.
“I thought I'd start looking for him now, y'know? Get a head start… Katsunishiki is back home with Daddy, waiting for him in case he makes it back on his own.”
Ranma frowned angrily. “Man, what an idiot, goes wanderin' off when `e's s'posed t'get married n'shit. What a doofus.”
Akari giggled in spite of her sour mood. “Oh, I dunno. I'm pretty sure he just left to talk to Akane.”
“I thought you said he was over her…”
“He is, but he never really got a chance to patch things up after the whole… P-Chan thing,” Akari looked pissed for a minute, which mostly amounted to her frowning, but then her expression softened into a small smile, “he was really sweet when he explained it all to me. He was so determined to make it all better that he even offered to get cursed again, so that he'd still turn into a pig for me.” She laughed. “Isn't that silly? I love him just as he is.”
“So, I guess he never talked to Akane about it, really.”
Akari shook her head and sighed again, leaning her elbow on the armrest and putting her chin on her hand. “Nope, he really should have done it, sooner,” she looked out the window, and then back at him, “but I'm glad he decided that he wanted to… I just wish he'd told me, first.”
Ranma frowned in thought for a minute, watching the side of Akari's face as the bus pulled to a stop in the shopping district. “Y'know, I bet I could find him, Akari.”
Akari's head whipped around. “Really, you think so?”
Ranma stood up and held out his hand to her, which she took. They walked off the bus together. “Hell yeah, I'm great at finding Ryouga!”
“Oh, Ranma! Thank you for your help!” Akari clasped his hands in her own.
“Of course, any time; now, I think—”
“RANMA! Get away from my fiancée!” Clockwork.
Ranma let go of Akari and took a few steps back as Ryouga crashed down between them from a nearby roof. He looked worse for wear, dressed in a pair of filthy black pants and a partially-torn yellow shirt, from which his gorilla-like arms protruded. His bandanna was conspicuously absent, but his umbrella sat waiting for violence on his pack. He whirled on Ranma with a Look of Death [TM], fangs bared. Ranma smiled, hands up in a position of passiveness. “Hey, long time no see - told ya' I'd find `im, Akari.”
Ryouga's countenance faltered, and then he seemed to register the situation. He was immediately and visibly embarrassed. His face turned beet red, and he turned on his heels and looked down at his twiddling fingers as he stood in front of his fiancée. “H-hey, `Kari…”
“Ryouga, I'm so glad to see you!” she hugged him for a moment, and Ryouga laughed nervously and put one of his hands behind his head.
“Oh, I thought you were gonna be mad at— urk!” he made a strangled sound when Akari hugged him tighter, and Ranma could see her arms shaking and heard the beginnings of her tears. “A… Akari, wha…”
“Ryouga, just answer me one question - why didn't you tell me you were going to go see Akane?” Akari asked quietly, standing away from him and hugging herself, tears in her eyes. People at the bus stop politely averted their gazes, but Ranma stared on, wondering if he should stick up for his friend or smack him on the back of the head for being an idiot.
“I… I didn't want you to think I was still in love with her. I mean… I'll always love her, but I'm not in love with her anymore, and I was worried that you'd… you'd cry,” his shoulders slumped a little, and he reached out and clasped her shoulders gently, “I'm in love with you, and I wanna marry you, but I wanna marry you with a clean conscience. I have to tie up this loose end, and be a real man for you.”
Akari smiled, slowly, and then she kissed him. Ranma took a step back as they seemed to forget his presence, looking at everything but the couple making out next to him. “Oh! Ranma, sorry,” Akari started awkwardly, and Ranma looked at them hesitantly, “thank you for finding him for me.” She laughed.
“Ranma…” Ryouga turned and grabbed Ranma by the shoulders, looking at him seriously, “do you know where Akane is?”
Ranma nodded. “Yeah, I'm… sorta stayin' with her right now.” At their quizzical looks, Ranma sighed. “It's a long story…”