Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ I'm the Mother and the Father? ❯ Ranko Arrives! ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I'm the Father and the Mother?
A Ranma Fanfic by Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma and friends are owned by Rumiko Takahashi along with her publishers and Viz Video. I make no money off this so please don't sue me.
 
Recap of chapter 18
Ukyo got the news of the marriage. Ranma learned a new sexual technique. She went to Happosai to get more into on sex. Soun caught Ranma and Nabiki together.
 
Chapter 19
Ranko Arrives!
 
Ranma had stayed late at school to discuss a report she was working on with one of her teachers. She had wanted to make sure that the subject she had in mind was acceptable to the teacher. As a result she was walking home alone.
 
Her danger sense warned her in time to jump back as a club swung by Kodachi moved through the space she had been occupying. The gymnast said, “Hah, that little chi vampire with the coins isn't here to protect you this time. For what you did to my darling Ranma-sama, prepare to meet your fate!”
 
Ranma protested, “I didn't do anything to him. Besides that, he's not gone forever. He will be back in time.”
 
This did not deter the leotard clad girl from her attacks.
 
While embracing the soul of ice to stay calm, Ranma considered her options, dodging the gymnast's attacks. Doctors had told her to avoid fighting if possible. That included dodging and running away from a fight when practical. Kodachi could roof hop almost as fast as Ranma, so running away probably wouldn't be effective.
 
Coming to a decision she reached within and touched the well of pure ki. Her reserves had been growing greater over the last few weeks. Maybe it was because of the exercises and meditations she had been doing based on the scroll borrowed from Happosai, or maybe it was due to the presence of the baby in her womb or some combination of both. Before getting pregnant the reservoir of life energy had felt like a pond, but now it felt more like a lake.
 
Now ready, when Kodachi came in close with another club attack, Ranma ignited an aura of pure white light. There was enough force behind it that the gymnast was knocked back. The girl in the leotard shook her head to clear it and cracked her ribbon like a whip. “So, you little hussy, you still have some fight in you. Your tricks won't save you.”
 
Ranma sighed. Kodachi was as bad as her brother when it came to getting a clue. She quickly formed a ball of pure white ki and launched it at her opponent. The gymnast saw the attack coming and tried to dodge, but Ranma was exerting her will to guide the projectile. When the ball of ki struck Kodachi in the abdomen it spread until the girl's whole body briefly glowed white. She let out a scream, but it sounded more like frustration than pain. The girl in the leotard collapsed on the ground.
 
Ranma rushed forward to check on her opponent. Hmm, still breathing, that was good. She didn't want to kill the deluded woman, just get her to back off. It might take a few more confrontations like this one, but maybe Kodachi would finally get the idea that Ranma was too strong to be attacked like that.
 
With Kodachi there was another danger. If the gymnast gave up on direct physical confrontation, she might turn to using poison or paralysis gas or some other means more subtle. Sigh, she'd just have to be on guard.
 
As Ranma started to walk away she considered the ki attack she had just used. I'll have to think up a cool sounding name to call it.
 
The married couple had already started their planning for the formal wedding ceremony they were going to have after Ranma's curse unlocked. The tuxedo shop already had a complete set of measurements from the failed wedding with Akane, so Ranma was set there. They had been thinking about renting a banquet room at a local hotel for the reception, while using the dojo for the ceremony.
 
Right now the two girls were in a bridal shop looking at wedding gowns. When both girls had said they were looking for gowns, the clerk had asked, “Are the two of you having a double wedding?”
 
Ranma smirked, “Something like that.”
 
Nabiki was looking for a gown to wear to the ceremony after Ranma's curse unlocked, Ranma was trying to pick out a gown to wear to the “mock wedding”
ceremony they had planned. Ranma had argued for something simple like a strapless white gown with just a touch of lace but Nabiki wouldn't hear of it. She had insisted that Ranma wear an elaborate gown with ruffles, lace, a beaded bodice, a veil and just about everything else she could imagine. Even though she felt silly getting dressed up that fancy, Ranma was doing it to please Nabiki and grudgingly agreed.
 
Ranma tried on six different gowns. Through this Nabiki had her digital camera with a high capacity memory card and was snapping dozens of pictures. Ranma also returned the favor and snapped several pictures of each of the gowns Nabiki tried on.
 
It seemed that the brown haired girl had very firm ideas on what she wanted, so she only tried on two gowns before making her choice. Ranma was convinced that her spouse made her try on six gowns solely to be playing dress up. Determined to be a good sport about the whole business, she didn't do more than roll her eyes when Nabiki came to her with the sixth gown and said, “You have got to try this one on too.”
 
Ranma ended up picking the third gown she'd tried on, with Nabiki's approval. On their way home from the bridal shop they stopped by the tux shop to give a list of Nabiki-kun's measurements so there would be a tux ready to rent for the `mock wedding' party.
 
It was another late day at school. Ranma had gotten roped into helping do decorations for a school dance. She had made several friends among the girls and some of them had been on the decorating committee. Even though she grumbled about it, she had to admit she enjoyed the comradeship with the other girls.
 
She had been letting her mind wander when a boy's voice said, “Hey, Ranma.”
 
The girl looked and found herself facing three boys. She knew all of them. They were boys who had repeatedly asked her for dates even back when she could still change back and forth from boy to girl. They had her in a corner and were blocking any route she might have taken to retreat. “What do you want Kaneda?” she asked the boy who seemed to be the leader.
 
The biggest boy said, “This is about all the times you turned us down for dates. You said you're really a guy and couldn't get into dating with another guy. Since you're pregnant now it's obvious that was a lie. You had to have been putting out for at least one guy or maybe more. We want to get in on that action.”
 
Ranma was slightly taken aback. “Wait, you're saying you want… to screw me?”
 
“That's right.”
 
The girl considered that for a moment. “So what do plan on doing? Are you going to try to rape me here on school grounds.”
 
Kaneda smirked, “It won't be rape. Every girl I've screwed really wanted it. I also know a nice, private spot out behind the school where nobody will interrupt us.”
 
The readheaded girl kept her tone level, “Nice little fantasy world you're living in, Kaneda. What makes you think I'm going with you this private spot?”
 
“Hmph. I know you're supposed to be this hotshot martial artist but I also know you can't fight now because of being pregnant.”
 
Ranma suddenly smiled, then the smile turned into an evil grin. One of the other boys asked, “Uh, Kaneda, why is she grinning like that?”
 
The girl continued grinning while she said, “That's the trouble with listening to rumors. They hardly ever tell the whole story. It's `not supposed to fight', not can't fight.”
 
The third boy was puzzled, “What's the difference?”
 
“The difference is that I'm supposed to stay out of fights if I can avoid them. Since you've got me blocked off here, I guess I can't avoid this fight.” She sounded quite pleased at the prospect.
 
All three boys were starting to feel nervous. The girl was acting like they were at her mercy rather than the other way around.
 
Kaneda decided to push ahead. “Yeah, so what? There's three of us and only one of you.”
 
The evil grin remained. “A while back I promised myself that while I was stuck as a woman I'd use a woman's weapons. At the time I thought that meant words, maybe a slap or my looks. I'll have to thank Akane for telling me that this is a woman's weapon.”
 
She extended her hand out with the thumb and fingers curved as though to grip a round object. In a flash of light a huge mallet appeared and her hand closed on the handle. In spite of the size of the mallet head Ranma handled it as if it weighed no more than a baseball bat. In fact she dropped into a stance like a batter and held the mallet poised over her shoulder, ready to swing.
 
“Who wants some?”
 
All three boys had expressions of near panic on their faces. They had seen the famed pervert basher that Tendo Akane called `mallet-sama' and Ranma's was even bigger. Kaneda almost shouted, “Are you out of your mind! You could kill someone with that!”
 
Ranma tossed the mallet lightly in the air so the handle spun around. When it came back down she caught it as easily as if it weighed nothing. “I've been practicing with this. I know just how hard to swing it. It won't kill anyone.”
 
She seemed to think a moment. “It might maim and there is a chance it could cripple, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't kill you. Now breaking a few bones that could heal up in time, I'd say definitely. Now, like I said, who wants some?”
 
Kaneda and his cronies backed up and finally the leader of the small group said, “Ithinkthere'sbeenamisunderstanding. We'rejustpassingby. Sorryforbotheringyou. Goodbye.”
 
This was spoken so rapidly that it was hard to separate the words. The three boys turned and ran away as fast as they could. In a disappointed tone Ranma complained, “Damn! I haven't had a good fight in ages.” She dispersed her mallet.
 
As she continued on home she hoped that the boys would pass the word to any other horny perverts who might want a piece of her. Saotome Ranma was still no pushover.
 
At a certain women's clinic a petite, red haired young woman presented herself to the receptionist. “I'm Watanabe Kimiko, here to see Dr. Hinagami.”
 
The receptionist checked her computer then picked up the phone. After talking for a moment she said, “She's waiting for you. You can go right back.” The receptionist wondered who the brown haired girl was that followed the redhead.
 
In the office they were met by the petite doctor and offered chairs to sit. “Kimiko, Nabiki, it's good to see you. I've got all the records from Dr. Tanaka on both of you.”
 
She contemplated the two young women in front of her. “Kimiko, your pregnancy is progressing normally. In fact, given what I know about you, it's amazing how normal things are progressing. The only abnormal thing I see is how absolutely and perfectly healthy both mother and child seem to be.”
 
Ranma said, “But isn't that a good thing?”
 
“Oh, it's good. It's very good. If it weren't for some of the unusual aspects of your situation, you could probably do fine with just the help of a midwife instead of a women's specialist like myself. Because of the legal aspects of your situation, it's better that you come to me than a regular OB/GYN like Dr. Tanaka.”
 
The doctor picked up a book from her desk and opened it to a pace that had been marked with a piece of paper. She placed the open book on the desk and pushed toward Nabiki. She said, “I've been talking to a couple of infertility specialists I know as well as doing some reading. My friend Kitsune has also been searching the internet for me. Please read from this point.” She tapped a spot on the page.
 
After Nabiki finished reading the doctor told her, “That is the condition you have, the one that prevents you from conceiving a child. It is treatable but requires surgery. About a week after baby Ranko is born you will go to a small private clinic I know of. You will spend a week there. The records will show you undergoing the surgery needed to correct your condition with a week to recover.”
 
Nabiki passed the book back to the doctor. “So after this `surgery' I'll be able to have babies myself?”
 
“If you wish to, yes.”
 
“If anyone asks why we adopted instead of waiting until I got the surgery, I'll just say Ranma and I had our hearts set on having a baby right away. I wasn't sure we could afford the surgery and didn't know how long it would be before we could, so adoption seemed our best choice.”
 
The doctor nodded. “One of the reasons I chose that specific condition is that the surgery is a minimally invasive procedure that goes in through a small incision.”
 
Nabiki said, “For this to be convincing I should have a scar. At that clinic could they make the incision and then sew it back up again?”
 
“They can. There wouldn't be much pain and, since it will just be on the surface, it should heal quickly.”
 
The red haired girl asked, “Are you sure you want to go through with that?”
 
Nabiki nodded. “To give Ranko (and us) a more normal life, yes. I'm willing.”
 
Dr. Hinagami spoke again. “With the Diagnosis for Mrs. Saotome on record now, Mr. Takeuchi will be in touch with you in about two weeks. He will have papers for the Saotomes and Kimiko to sign. That will set the legal machinery in motion to allow the Saotomes to legally adopt Ranko.”
 
Nabiki smiled, “We'll both look forward to that.”
 
On a Saturday afternoon the dojo was decorated with streamers, balloons and a banner that proclaimed, “Congratulations Ranma and Nabiki.” Along one wall rented tables were loaded with all manner of finger foods. Kasumi had made some of these but for the rest they had gone to a professional caterer. To the relief of many, Akane had not prepared any of the food.
 
The Tendos were all there as well as the elder Saotome's. A few other people were there as well, friends of Ranma's and Nabiki's from school. Also there was Miss Hinako, Dr. Hinagami and the lawyer, Mr. Takeuchi. All of the guests were people who knew of Ranma's curse and were aware of Jusenkyo magic used to make Nabiki into a temporary man.
 
A portable CD player was giving out a stream of popular music, but at a volume level low enough that it didn't interfere with conversations. One of Nabiki's assistants from school was there with a video camera, recording the proceedings. Nabiki had also placed some cameras on tripods around the room to be sure and record things from as many angles as possible.
 
At a podium (in lieu of an altar) Ryoga stood, dressed as a Christian minister. He ran a finger between his neck and his collar and wondered how Ranma had managed to talk him into this. Of course it could have something to do with the promise that Nabiki had something to give him that should make sure that he never got lost again.
 
At the agreed upon moment the CD in the player was changed and the volume turned up as wedding music was played. Nabiki's assistant pressed a button that turned on the cameras and the recorders connected to them. Later, Nabiki planned to edit the footage into a single video presentation.
 
At the cue from the music the doors opened and Ranma and Nabiki entered. Nabiki-kun was resplendent in a cream colored tuxedo and looked incredibly handsome. Ranma was in a gown that had a voluminous skirt, with lots of ruffles and lace. The sleeves of the gown were puffy at the shoulders then fit tighly down the rest of her arms. She wore gloves made of lace on her hands. The bodice of the gown displayed a fair amount of cleavage and was worked with what looked like hundreds of tiny pearl-like beads. There was a veil of sheer fabric over her face. She looked positively breath taking.
 
As the wedding music played, the couple walked with measured tread down the aisle. They reached their final position in front of the podium as the music reached its conclusion then turned to face each other.
 
Reading from a prepared script, Ryoga said, “We are gathered here today to acknowledge and recognize the bond between these two people. Today we reaffirm the marriage between Saotome Ranma and the one who was once Tendo Nabiki but is now Saotome Nabiki.”
 
He continued to read for a few minutes. Then both spouses recited vows they had written together. They pledged their love for each other for the rest of their lives. They promised to be there for each other through tough times and support and care for each other and any children they might have. It was a performance worthy of any real wedding.
 
Finally Ryoga had the final words to say. “I pray that this husband and this wife will be blessed with prosperity, with happiness and with love for the rest of their lives. May you live long, healthy lives.” He bowed his head for a moment while all the gathered people did the same. When he looked up he told Nabiki, “You can kiss her now.”
 
The temporary man lifted the veil from his bride's face and flipped it to the back of her head then leaned down and planted a kiss on her lips. Some other wedding music was played for a minute then stopped.
 
The couple turned to the assembled people and Ranma announced. “That brings the `mock wedding' ceremony to an end. Now we come to the part of this party I know everybody has been waiting for, the food. Feel free to start eating but don't eat any of the cake until Nabs and I get our piece first.”
 
Instead of a tall wedding cake they had opted for a sheet cake. The frosting was white with pink accents and the words “Congratulations Ranma and Nabiki” marked in blue frosting. Although they had considered doing like they had seen in videos of weddings and smashing a piece of cake in each other's face they each just fed a piece to their spouse.
 
After they finished with that Ranma told them, “OK, this dress weighs a ton and I'm sure that tux can't be comfortable. While we're getting changed into regular clothes the rest of you get to work on the cake and the rest of the food.”
 
As they left the dojo and headed to the house, Ranma commented, “The soul of ice is the only reason I'm not sweating like a pig in this outfit. I swear there is enough material in this dress to make three regular dresses.”
 
Nabiki laughed. “It wouldn't surprise me. It's a shame that the Ice Queen persona doesn't actually chill things down like your soul of ice. I just hope they don't charge us extra to clean the sweat stains out of this tux.”
 
After getting changed they went back to the party. Ukyo had mostly got over her anger at Ranma for getting married and was at the party with her portable grill making okonomiyakes. She wasn't charging for them but set out a tip jar and people seemed to be generous for the occasion.
 
Even though the guests had been told that bringing gifts was optional some had brought gifts anyway. They got a few useful household items and some jewelry had been given to Nabiki. There were also a couple items of jewelry for Ranma. There were also some baby things.
 
After the couple had finished opening their presents, Nabiki called for everyone's attention. “Although it is unusual for the bride and groom to be giving a gift at an occasion like this, you'll have to agree this isn't a typical wedding. I actually bought the gift but it's really from both Ranma and me for Ryoga, our `minister' for the evening.”
 
There was scattered applause as Ryoga stepped forward. Ranma was holding a gift wrapped package. She said, “Ryoga, we've know each other since junior high school. We've been friends, we've been rivals and a few times we've been enemies. I'm glad we've finally been able to put aside our hostilities and start acting like real friends.”
 
Ryoga tore the wrapping off the package and revealed a box that proclaimed that it contained a portable GPS receiver. The features listed on the box mentioned that the device could speak directions in a pleasant synthesized female voice.
 
Nabiki told him, “With this you can get directions to any address in Japan. I've already loaded in the address of the Unryu farm. I've also put in the address of the Tendo Dojo in case you ever want to come to visit. I looked up the address of your Mom and Dad's house and loaded that in too.”
 
“Wow!” said Ryoga. “I don't know what to say. Thank you.”
 
“That's OK. I suggest you go sit down and read the instructions for a while so you'll know how to use it.”
 
At the law office of Takeuchi Akira Ranma and Nabiki sat across the desk from the lawyer. He said, “The records are now on file that Watanbe Kimiko is under the care of Dr. Hinagami. The record also shows a girl forced into prostitution at a very young age. When she became pregnant the people who were exploiting her tossed her aside. Because of the number of men `serviced' by Miss Watanabe she has no idea who the father of her child is. She believes her parents are dead and cannot remember any other family who could take her in.”
 
“Dr. Himagami regularly helps girls like this, so it will not seem in the least bit unusual. The story is that when Kimiko wandered into a shelter her condition was discovered and the director of the shelter sent her to the good doctor. Since the poor girl is unable to care for a child, Dr. Hinagami got in touch with me to find adoptive parents for her baby.”
 
Ranma shook her head. “That's such a sad story.”
 
The lawyer sighed. “It's even sadder than you think. Even though Kimiko's story is a fabrication it is based on true stories. There are girls who have gone through everything I just described and worse. Some of the girls who lose their usefulness are killed instead of just being tossed out.”
 
He said to the couple, “Now that the diagnosis of Mrs. Saotome's medical problem is officially on record, we can proceed.” He passed a piece of paper to Nabiki. “This your request to me to help you find a baby to adopt.” Nabiki signed and passed it to Ranma to sign as well.
 
The lawyer next passed a paper to Ranma. “This is the formal paper where Kimiko agrees to give up all rights to her baby to the Saotomes. So she doesn't have to continue living in a shelter, Kimiko will come to live with the Saotomes for the time of her pregnancy. After her baby is born and surrendered to Ranma and Nabiki she will move the United States to get as far as possible from the people who exploited her. She will change her name to Kimberlee Watanabe and we will lose track of her.”
 
Ranma said, “Kimiko will leave and Ranma will stay, right?”
 
“Exactly correct. By having Kimiko staying with you it won't look suspicious for Nabiki to take her to the hospital. You can also take her straight back to the Tendo home when Kimiko and Ranko are released from the hospital.”
 
Ranma signed as Kimiko. She had been practicing writing with her left hand so when she signed it looked like someone else's handwriting.
 
Mr. Takeuchi gathered the papers and said, “This is as far as I can take it. The rest is in the hands of the government. I have some friends in those agencies who can help smooth the process. The report they were given about you two is that you are two young people with so much love between you that you need a child to share it with.”
 
Ranma took Nabiki's hand. “That's actually just about right.”
 
“With the loan you got and Mrs. Saotome's skills in investments, you are in good shape financially. That will help you immensely. What counts against you is the environment at the Tendo home. I'm speaking most specifically about the presence of the man known as Happosai. While I realize he is the source of the money Mrs. Saotome is investing, he would not be looked on as a wholesome influence on a child.”
 
Nabiki said, “We can't do it yet, but with a few more months for my investments to grow, we will be able to buy a house. It won't be as big as my Daddy's house, but it should be comfortable for our small family. I estimate we can be in our own home by two weeks to two months after Ranko is born.”
 
Mr. Takeuchi said, “If you can't get a house by then, it might be best to move to an apartment until you can get a house.”
 
Nabiki promised, “I'll start looking for listings on the internet as soon as I get home.”
 
Ranma's days were quite full. She had exercise and katas in the morning along with meditation and ki manipulation practice. Then there was school. Now that she was paying attention in class she found that she actually liked it. She was gone from “C's” and “D's” to “A's” and “B's”. She found that she really had a telent for math and started doing extra credit work that advanced her beyond the rest of the class.
 
The girls at school had decided that getting pregnant was enough proof that Ranma was a girl and they started making friends with her. They still thought she was a tomboy, but that was bearable. She found herself sitting with many other girls at lunch and felt shocked when someone told her that she was actually now considered one of the popular girls.
 
When the girls on the soccer team practically begged Ranma to play as their goalie, she agreed. The team went on to win the division championship and Ranma was voted Most Valuable Player.
 
She went to visit at Megumi's house sometimes. Megumi wasn't quite so sure if she still liked Ranma so much because she always beat Megumi at all of the fighting games on the video game system. Still, she made up for it by demonstrating some of the martial arts moves she knew and teaching Megumi some of the katas she knew.
 
Under Nabiki's instructions Ranma became quite accomplished with a computer. After getting into an argument over who would use Nabiki's computer, brown haired girl conceded defeat and got Ranma a computer of her own. While it was true that Nabiki had told Ranma she was smarter, it was a bit disconcerting to see her student's skill start to outstrip her own. Nabiki finally decided to be proud of her protégé rather than jealous.
 
The Saturday “girls night out” with Ranma, Nabiki, Akane and Kasumi became a regular fixture of their week with dinner and a movie or even a play sometimes. Afterward they would get together in the dojo for another of their weekly “orgies.” All of the participants were becoming more adventurous in their sex play, trying different position and other things.
 
After Ranma tried anal and decided that it wasn't as bad as she'd thought it was, she agreed to the “special night” when all three of the Tendo `brothers' got together with Ranma as the only girl. She decided that she liked that enough that on other occasions she made use of a strap on dildo to let each of the sisters experience a `triple penetration' session.
 
When Ranko got big enough that Ranma's belly began to bulge, she had to cut back on her sports activities.
 
Ranma finished out the school year with an A- average to her own surprise and that of many of her teachers. They remembered Ranma as the slacker boy who slept through classes and were not quite sure how to think about this seemingly brilliant young woman. Some of the teachers expressed the opinion that if pregnancy was what it took to get Saotome Ranma to apply him/herself, then maybe it should have happened sooner
 
By the start of the next school year Ranma decided that she would stay home. She had a mental image of waddling down the halls of Furinkan with her bulging belly and didn't like the picture. She studied at home and Akane brought her many of the assignments. Ranma did go to the school to take some tests, but was granted some leeway because of her condition.
 
Nabiki started college with a major in Business Administration. Now that she was in a different school she had bequeathed her empire to one of her assistants and tried to keep her activities completely legal. With the shift to college Nabiki had gone from being the “big fish in the little pond” to being a little fish. There were already people running the kinds of rackets she'd had in high school and they were not willing to share.
 
Nabiki stopped selling pictures of Ranma on her website. Once they'd gotten married she just didn't feel right about exploiting her spouse that way. In a way, it was a bit of a pity because she had started to take pictures and shoot video's of the some of the “weekly orgies” and knew that if she wanted to sell pictures of herself and her `brothers' going at it, she would probably make pretty good money. With the investments paying off, there was no longer a need. She would keep the pictures and videos as mementos to look at fondly when they all got old.
 
During her ninth month Ranma when she did her meditation, she started to get the feeling she was able to communicate with Ranko. It wasn't verbal, more emotional. She had the strong feeling of love from her child and returned every bit of that love.
 
It was in the afternoon and Ranma and Nabiki were in their room doing school work on their computers. Ranma was now quite accomplished in the use of the computer and wondered how she had ever gotten along without one before.
 
Suddenly Ranma gasped and sat back in her chair, placing her hand on her belly.
 
Nabiki noticed and looked up from her computer. “Is Ranko kicking again? I swear that girl is going to be soccer star the way she kicks.”
 
“Ranko wasn't kicking. Nabiki, I think we need to get to the hospital. That was a contraction.”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Oh, yeah. That was a definite contraction.”
 
Ranma began shutting down her computer while Nabiki whipped out her cell phone. She selected a number from the phone's saved numbers. She spoke to the receptionist, “Please tell Dr. Hinagami that Watanabe Kimiko is having contractions. We will be leaving for the hospital as soon as possible.”
 
There was a pause, “Yes, she asked to be informed when this happened. Then please tell her as soon as she's finished with the procedure she's doing now.” She pressed “End” button. “That woman is so annoying.” She complained.
 
Ranma had turned off her computer and now moved over to Nabiki's machine. While Nabiki dialed the number of a taxi company, Ranma began putting Nabiki's computer in standby mode so it could continue to monitor the room's security systems.
 
Nabiki said into the phone, “Yes, I'd like a taxi from the Tendo dojo to the hospital,” she gave the address. “We have a baby waiting to be born so could you get them here as quickly as possible. Thank you, but I'm not the mother. She's a… friend of mine and I'll be riding to the hospital with her to make sure she gets checked in all right. Yes, we'll be waiting outside the gate.”
 
Nabiki tossed her purse into a briefcase where she had some important papers. She also grabbed the cases for her digital camera and video camera and slung the straps over her head. Ranma picked up the overnight bag she had packed in advance just for this occasion.
 
As Ranma eased herself down the stairs, she thought how much easier it would be to get around once she could carry the baby in her arms instead of inside her belly.
 
Once down the stairs Nabiki called out to her sister who was in the kitchen. “Kasumi, it's time. `Kimiko' is having contractions. I already called a taxi to pick us up and take us to the hospital. Please tell everyone else.”
 
Genma and Soun who had been playing shogi rushed up. “The baby's coming?” asked Genma.
 
“Yes. It may take a while. You grandparents should follow when you can. I doubt if there's a big hurry.”
 
Genma got a huge, silly grin on his face at being called a “grandparent.”
 
Ranma turned and started toward the door. When she didn't see Nabiki beside her she looked back and found her spouse video taping her. She rolled her eyes. Nabs had been getting a little silly with the cameras, photographing or taping Ranma doing all sort of ordinary activities.
 
After Ranma changed into her outdoor shoes she started to reach for the door. Before she could open the door, Nabiki told her to wait. The brown haired girl went out the door and closed it behind her. Ranma groaned quietly to herself. Nabiki wants to tape me opening the door and going out. She decided to humor her spouse.
 
They got to the gate just as the taxi was pulling up. The driver got out and said, “I was told to pick up a pregnant woman and her friend. I'm guessing that would be you.”
 
To herself Ranma was thinking how good this man was at spotting the obvious. Out loud she said, “Yes, that's us. Thanks for getting here so quick.”
 
The driver helped Ranma into the back seat of the car while Nabiki taped it. Ranma hoped that once Ranko was born she would be the target of Naiki's camera more often than herself. It was getting really tiresome having almost everything she did being filmed.
 
As soon as the driver closed the door, Nabiki ran around the car to get in the other door. The driver asked, “Is this `break all speed laws' urgent or can I go normal speed?”
 
Ranma chuckled at that. “I think normal speed will be fine. I only just started having contractions. I don't think this baby is in that big a hurry to greet the world.” She suddenly gasped and put her hand on her belly. “Ok, that was another contraction.”
 
The driver took that as his cue and pulled out. The drive to the hospital passed without incident. When they got there they found a nurse waiting with a wheelchair. Apparently Dr. Hinagami had finished her procedure and had called the hospital to alert them to be ready for Ranma's arrival. Before the driver could help Ranma out of the car, Nabiki was out and shooting video.
 
There were some papers to sign then Ranma was taken directly to the hospital's birthing center. Normally at this point the nurses would have chased Nabiki out to stay in the waiting room, but Dr. Hinagami had left instructions that Nabiki be allowed to stay with Ranma. While they waited the contractions continued and started coming more frequently.
 
Dr. Hinagami arrived just as Ranma's water broke. The doctor checked with the nurse on the scene and did a quick check of Ranma's vitals. She listened to Ranma's heart and to the baby's. Everything seemed to be progressing normally. In fact the only abnormal thing for so unusual a patient as Ranma was how normal everything was going. It was progressing like a textbook example of how a normal delivery should go.
 
The doctor informed Ranma, “Kimiko, We'll be monitoring how far you're dilated. When you've dilated the right amount I'll tell you to push. So far this is going just like I told you about before. Do you need something for pain?”
 
“No thanks, doc. I've hurt worse after a fight. I can handle this.”
 
Ranma reflected on some of the things she had heard in the last few months. Once she had started to show it seemed that many women felt compelled to share their birthing experiences. In some cases this amounted to horror stories of 20 hour labor or excruciating pain. One woman told of squeezing her husband's hand hard enough to break it.
 
Another woman spoke of how she had screamed, “You did this to me!” at her husband. Since Ranma was also the father of this child it might be difficult to know who to yell at. She might yell at Nabiki for throwing the bucket of water, but nobody but Nabiki would understand. Better to just leave it to inarticulate grunts and groans. Besides, it didn't hurt that bad so far.
 
When the word finally came to push Ranma was ready. She was doing all she could to remain calm and keep her ki in balance. That seemed to be helping. She pushed but the first time nothing visible happened. Again the redheaded girl reflected on the how unusual it was for a man to be experiencing this. She knew she had a lot more respect for women than she had in the past. Pushing out a baby was hard work.
 
After a few more pushes the doctor reported, “I can see the head. Again.”
 
Finally the baby was clear of the birth canal. The doctor took the child and cut and tied the umbilical. When she held up the baby and gave her the obligatory slap on the buttocks. Dr. Hinagami could almost swear that that the baby gave her a reproachful look before starting to cry.
 
After cleaning up the baby she was given to her mother to hold. Ranma regarded the child and told her, “Hello Ranko. I'm your mother. Welcome to the world.”
 
Ranma pointed to Nabiki. “The lady behind the camera there is Nabiki. She's going to be taking care of you.” Nabiki waved without putting down the video camera. Ranma thought she must look awful with her face all sweaty and her bangs sticking to her forehead in little spikes.
 
After taking care of the afterbirth and helping Ranma to clean herself up a little, she was told that they wanted to monitor Ranko and would be taking her off to another room. Ranma would be taken to a hospital room.
 
After Ranma got settled in her room her parents came to look in on her along with Soun and Akane. They said Kasumi was working at home and would come by to visit the following day. They brought flowers and balloons to help decorate the room.
 
After her visitors left Ranma spent some time in meditation.
 
The next day Ranma lay in the hospital bed chafing at the inactivity. She wanted to get up and start exercising to get back in shape, but the doctors had vetoed that choice. She at least wished that they would bring Ranko into the room to be with her. That would make lying in the bed more endurable. Nabiki had been by earlier and left some magazines, but they had been boring to read. She was idly batting one of the gaily colored balloons back and forth out of boredom
 
Ranma looked up at the sound of a knock at the door. It was Kasumi wearing an oddly sheepish expression on her face. “Kasumi, come in.”
 
When the tall young woman had seated herself, Ranma told her, “I'm going crazy in here. I'm feeling fine and they're telling me Ranko is probably the strongest, healthiest baby they've ever seen here. I could go home now, but they insist I've got to wait.”
 
Kasumi said, “I'm sure they'll let you go soon `Kimiko'. Don't forget you gave rights to Ranko up to the Saotomes.”
 
“I didn't forget. Uh, Kasumi, you seemed a bit troubled when you came in. What's up?”
 
Kasumi blushed. “I… have a confession to make.”
 
“A confession?”
 
“A confession. For years I've had my period as regular as clockwork. I should have had it last week but I missed it. I got the results of my test from Dr. Tanaka earlier today. I'm pregnant. It has to be either Akane or Nabiki who is the father. They're the only `men' I've been with at the time to be responsible for this.”
 
Ranma felt stunned. “But I thought you were on the pill.”
 
“I thought so too, but maybe the magic of the curse adds a boost to the fertility of a transformed man, like it did for a transformed girl like you. Of course it may have been because I… forgot… to pick up my pills one time.”
 
Ranma put her hand over eyes. After a moment, she said, “That would do it. Plus the fact that you really like it better as a woman.”
 
Ranma waggled a finger. “Come here, I want to do a ki reading on you.”
 
Kasumi stood by the side of the bed and Ranma gently placed her hand on the taller girl's abdomen. All the eldest Tendo sister could feel was a gentle warmth that lasted only a moment or two.
 
When she took her hand away, Ranma said, “It's a girl and Akane's the dad.” She took Kasumi's hand. “I guess I should congratulate you. With Ranko it was easy to tell how healthy and strong she was because of having two magical `parents.' From what I can see your daughter looks like she's healthy but it's a little early to be sure.”
 
Kasumi took a deep breath. “That's a relief. I was a little worried because of who the father was likely to be.”
 
“I think the magic of the curse keeps that from being problem. I don't really know. If the Amazons were still in town we could ask them. I wonder if Cologne would answer a letter?”
 
“I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.”
 
“Kasumi, you know that Nabs and I will help you any way we can, but with me still in school and Nabs in college, and taking care of Ranko, we're going to be pretty busy. Nabs is a whiz with money and we might be able to help you there.”
 
“What am I going to tell father?”
 
“I wish I could give you advice on that. Your dad isn't a strong man emotionally. He's gotten better over the last year, but he still cries so easily.”
 
“I have a thought, but it's rather extreme.”
 
“What's the thought?”
 
“Maybe I could get away with not telling father at all.”
 
“How could you get away with that?”
 
“For a while I've been thinking about getting on with my life. I've been feeling that I've spent enough time as a housewife with no husband and a substitute mother to my sisters. I've been looking into colleges and put in some applications. I've actually been accepted by two colleges. If I moved away to college, I could have my baby and maybe not tell father.”
 
“What about Akane?”
 
“If she's willing, I'd like for her to come with me. Nabiki's helped me to invest some of the money I got from mother's estate so I have enough to support the two of us and a child.”
 
“What about…”
 
“My father is a grown man! He should be able to take care of himself. If he gets lonely he still has your father and Auntie Nodoka for company. With the money Happosai loaned you and what Nabiki made from her investments you two should be able to get your own house and move out.”
 
Ranma agreed. “Yeah. Lately your dad has been acting weird around me. He's been giving me some strange looks. Nabs has been looking at some houses and says she's got a couple of good choices. Once I can get out of here to go look we can decide on one.”
 
It was now seven weeks to the day after the birth of Baby Ranko. If what Cologne said was to be believed, this was the day the lock on Ranma's curse was to release. Ranma and Nabiki were in the furo. Ranko was upstairs in the nursery with Nodoka watching her.
 
Ranma stood at the side of the tub ready to get in. She looked at Nabiki and said, “I feel like I should say something meaningful but I can't think of anything that doesn't come off sounding like a joke.”
 
Nabiki snorted and said, “Save the profound pronouncements for after you change back. Just get on with it.”
 
Ranma closed her eyes and stepped into the water and sat down. The hot water felt good but there was no tingle, no feeling of change. She opened her eyes and looked down and saw her breasts just like she had every day since she'd first got pregnant. Had Cologne lied, had she been wrong?
 
Ranma had tried not to get her hopes up, but she couldn't help herself. She resisted the urge to scream like she had that first time. If hysterics were not an option then crying was. Tears streamed down her face and she miserably stated, “Nabiki, nothing happened.”
 
Her brown haired spouse sat on the steps to the tub and put an arm around Ranma's shoulders to comfort her. “Cologne didn't say `exactly' seven weeks. She said about seven weeks.” It sounded lame and she knew it even as she said it.
 
Nabiki would do whatever she could to make the person she loved feel better. “We'll try again tomorrow.”
 
They did try again, but again there was no change from female to male. They tried every day but there was no result. Finally it was eight weeks and everybody had to admit that the curse wasn't unlocking.
 
Ranma and Nabiki walked to Dr. Tofu's clinic. Dr. Tofu had called to ask Kasumi on a second date and she had gone out with him, but her attitude had been cool. He had the impression that she had been angry with him for some reason, but he had not been able to get her to talk about it.
 
Dr Tofu checked Ranma over and as had been the case at the start of her pregnancy, he could find nothing wrong. He commented, “Since you've learned to control and channel your internal ki you are always healthy. Even injuries heal quickly. I can only think of one other thing to try.”
 
“A pregnancy test?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Ok, give it here.” She took the stick to the rest room.
 
Shortly Dr. Tofu was giving her the results of the test.
 
Ranma felt in shock. “You're sure? Of course you're sure. `Theses tests are very reliable.' I remember.”
 
“When I get home I'm going to flush every bit of that instant Nannichuan power down the toilet and I am going to make Nabiki's life a living hell for the next nine months.”
 
She had been muttering those words so Dr. Tofu asked, “What was that Ranma? I take it this came as a surprise to you. Since your curse hadn't unlocked yet, I would have to assume this isn't the same kind of thing again, right?”
 
Ranma sighed, “That's a once in a lifetime thing. This happened in the more usual way. Well… if you count Instant Nannichuan. Nabiki used some two weeks ago. He said he wanted one last time before I could change back into a guy again. I guess we should have used protection.”
 
It was Tofu's turn to sigh. “Ranma, since you had that period after giving birth you've been fertile. I'm sorry Ranma, this is partly my fault. After helping to care for you in the months of your pregnancy, I pushed to the back of my mind the fact that you were originally male. I had simply assumed you were aware of the implications of having a period.”
 
Ranma sarcastically pronounced, “Just another of the wonders of human biology that having a female body lets me in on.”
 
Dr. Tofu asked, “Are you OK with this?”
 
“I went through it once, I guess I can do it again. Considering what a sweet child Ranko is, this one will probably be a terror just to balance things out.”
 
“Dammit, we were going to have a Western style wedding with me in a tux and Nabiki in a gown, bridesmaids and everything. This means we're going to postpone it for another ten and a half months.”
 
Dr. Tofu comforted, “You've survived so much, I'm sure this won't be a major problem.”
 
“I'll tell you one thing, doc. This is definitely the last time for me. If Nabiki and I are going to have any more kids she's going to be the one carrying them. I've already had more of this so-called `miracle of life' than I want to.”
 
The doctor said, “But just think, Ranma. You have been given an opportunity that no man has ever had before. You have given birth and will do it again. How many men can say that?”
 
Ranma rolled her eyes. “Yes, doc it was a wonderful experience and as much as I grumble about it, I wouldn't have missed it for anything. I have an understanding of what women go through that I'm sure will help me to understand my wife, Nabiki. But doc, once was enough. What will repeating the `experience' do for me that I didn't get out of it the first time?”
 
Dr. Tofu shook his head and smiled. “I don't know Ranma. I guess you'll have to wait to find that one out.”
 
Ranma said, “Well, I guess I'd better collect Nabiki and head back home. Mom is being really nice about taking care of Ranko, but she deserves a break.”
 
Nabiki was in the waiting room sitting on one of the couches. She stood up and with a worried look on her face she asked, “Did you find out why your curse won't unlock?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Yes? Yes what? What did you find out?”
 
“I'm not going to say anything more about it until we get back home.”
 
“You sound angry, what's wrong?”

“I'll tell you when we get home.”

“Why won't you tell me now?”
 
“Because I want to yell at you and I don't feel comfortable doing it in Dr. Tofu's waiting room.”
 
Uh, oh, what did I do? Maybe it would better not to push her on this. I can wait.
 
The two walked back to the Tendo dojo in silence.
 
Ranma stuck her head into the room that used be hers but was now a nursery. She said, “I need to talk to my spouse for a few minutes. When I'm finished with that, I'll take over.”
 
Nodoka answered, “Take as much time as you need, dear. I don't mind. Ranko's such a little angel.”
 
Ranma nodded. She went into the dojo and closed the door behind her. She couldn't repress the surge of happiness at the thought that within a week they'd be moving into their own house. She looked at Nabiki for a while and finally said, “Let's call this one of those good news/bad news things.”
 
“Ok, What's the good news?”

“Congratulations, you're going to be a father.”
 
“Huh?”
 
Ranma sighed. “My curse stayed locked because I'm pregnant, again.”
 
“But… I thought… so soon after giving birth…”
 
“Remember helping me with tampons and pads because I didn't really know about a woman's period?”
 
Nabiki's face went pale. “Oh, Kami-sama! It didn't even occur to me.”
 
“That's right. Because I had a period I was fertile. Because of the curse I was double fertile. Then you just had to do `one last time' with me before the curse unlocked and you didn't use protection. You insisted even though I told you I could accommodate you anytime you wanted to after the curse unlocked by just using a little cold water.”
 
A bit numbly Nabiki said, “You could have refused.”
 
Ranma gently caressed Nabiki's cheek. “Since we started, when have I ever refused my stallion?”
 
“Never. You might argue about it sometimes but you never refuse.”
 
Ranma went on, “We know you have to be the father because you're the only guy who's had sex with me since I had my period.”
 
Nabiki hung her head. “I guess my judgement is bad when comes to sex with you.”
 
“What's done is done. Would your financial calculations for our future allow for a second kid?”
 
“Sure, investements have been going good, better than I expected. Even with us buying the house we're in plenty good shape to take care of a second child or even a third and fourth.”
 
“Good. I want to be clear on one thing. I will have this baby and I will love it just as much as I love Ranko, but it's the last one for me. If I have to I'll have an operation to make sure I can't get pregnant again after this kid.”
 
“Are you sure? From what I've seen so far, you make a pretty good mommy.”
 
“Even if that's true, I still say this is the last. If we have any more kids after this you'll be growing them in there.” Ranma gently poked Nabiki's abdomen.
 
Nabiki laughed at that. “That's fair. You've already done more in this marriage than any husband has ever had to do. I know some women say they wish their husbands could experience childbirth just so they know what it's really about. You've not only done it once, but are going to do it a second time.”
 
Ranma grunted assent then sat on the floor. “Be quiet a moment. I want to check something.” With that she closed her eyes and placed her hands in her lap palms up.
She sat silent in that position for almost five minutes. When she opened her eyes she smiled. “Yep, I confirm. There's a baby in there and it's a boy! I can get the feel of both you and me on him so I've got more to on now than just timing. He's your son and mine. Ranko just had the feel for both my male and female forms, but this kid is definitely ours. Since I picked Ranko's name why don't you pick a name for our boy?”
 
“Satoshi was my grandfather's name. How would you feel about that?”
 
“Saotome Satoshi he will be.” She kissed Nabiki.
 
The brown haired girl said, “I don't know how you manage to keep loving me. I keep messing things up.”
 
“If you hadn't messed up, Ranko would never have been born. Even being stuck as a girl for that long was worth it. If we got through all that, we can get through anything else. With your brains and mine we can come out on top. Plus, if Ranko is even half the little genius Happosai thinks she is, she's going to be a big help to us when she gets older.”
 
“I think we just had a moment there.”
 
“Heh, I guess we did. Come on, I've got to take over from mom.”
 
They went back into the house.
 
 
Author's Note: This is the last chapter. If there were any inaccuracies in the way the birth was described, I would mention that I have never been married and have no kids. I based my description on TV, movies and books. I just wanted to convey the impression that Ranko's birth was an easy one. If anyone wants to draw fanart based on this story the images I would most like to see are: From the mock wedding - Ranma in her wedding dress and Nabiki-kun in his tux. I'd also like to see one of Ranma with the evil grin on her face and the mallet held over her shoulder, ready to swing.
 
Coming Up - The Epilogue. We fast forward to the day of Ranko's graduation from college at the age of 19. She is the valedictorian of her of her class. We also get to find out some of the things that happened between Ranko's birth and her graduation.