Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Mischievous Kiss 悪戯なキス ❯ Words ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Ranma ½. It is owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, VIZ Media and Kitty Films.
Rating: T
Genre: Romance, Humor
Summary: “But…If Ranma and I were to kiss, then…maybe… I don't mind that at all. I would even lo...like it.” What would Ranma do if he happens to overhear this straight from Akane's mouth?
Author's Notes: I planned on doing this oneshot at the end of the year, but I guess I was bored enough to cancel that plan. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it.
 
 
Mischievous Kiss
( 悪戯ãªã‚­ã& #8218;¹ Itazura na Kiss)
A Ranma ½ Fanfiction
By Kurasuchi~
 
Chapter 1: Words (Kotoba è©ž)
 
He heaved a deep sigh as he felt a trail of sweat cross his ebony locks of hair, all the way to his temple, until it fell on the ground with nothing but a small mark. A mixture of dust and perspiration tickled his nose. He grew weary with each passing second as he concealed himself onto the pitch black chasms of the ceiling.
 
With his ragged breathing, Ranma had a hard time to conceal himself. The girls from the locker room are out to ambush him, armed with an army of blunt objects and fighting tools, all ready to punt him to oblivion. He, as usual, was mistaken for a pervert. He shuddered at the thought. It was that old pervert's fault. He was just a mere passerby; he got nothing to do at peeking on young girls changing back to their uniforms if he had a body to ogle at, all by his own. Not that he did that, actually. But it seemed that fate had always made its way for him and Happosai to cross paths. As he sped away with his trademark “What a haul, what a haul!,” he left a piece of underwear atop Ranma's head and ran off, leaving Ranma at the mercy of a bevy of angry high school girls.
 
“Where is that Saotome? I'm gonna kill that pervert once I find him!”
 
Ranma, though startled at first, felt a small shiver down his spine at the fact that the girls who were out to ambush him are near. He prayed for his dear life. The last thing he needed was to get beaten up by girls for a sin that he hadn't even committed. Akane's violence was punishment enough.
 
“I don't see him anywhere, Captain,” replied another member of the girls' tennis club, the same group of girls who were changing at the locker room just in time when Happosai decided to sneak a peek. “I think we've lost him.”
 
“Dammit. He got away again. Let's search over there,” the said captain replied, and pointed her index finger at the opposite direction of Ranma's whereabouts. “Let's go!”
 
Ranma sighed in relief. `I guess I've lost them. Gotta go before it's too late.'
 
He was about to end his “ninja sneaking on the ceiling” mode when he heard another set of girls' laughter near the area. With the fear of being found by the girls of the locker room occupying his head, he immediately resumed to his former position and listened intently on their conversation. Unfortunately, he strained his neck from staying at the ceiling for too long that he cannot move his head to look down at the girls that passed by.
 
“So, how does it feel?”
 
“Feel what?”
 
“To be kissed, silly! You've been kissed by Hiroshi-kun once, right? So, tell me, how does it feel?”
 
“Well… it.. it felt nice,” replied the girl, with the last word being more of a whisper. Much to his dismay, Ranma was close enough to the girls for him to overhear their conversation. He shrugged. It was probably a group of love-struck girls again, with all their mushy ranting and lovesick fantasies. How he hated those kinds of conversations. Not that he could help but to eavesdrop on their girly pep talk…
 
`But, still… didn't one of the girls mention Hiroshi's name? That Hiroshi, you sly dog…'
 
“That's nice, Yuka! I never even thought that Hiroshi-kun can grow a set of balls just to build up his courage and kiss you!”
 
Ranma shuddered at what he just heard. `Y—Yuka? Then, the other one is... Oh, crap.'
 
“Well, I never expected it either, Sayuri! It just sorta happened! But still, I knew we were still far from it, unlike a certain someone here.”
 
“W—Why are you looking at me like that? I don't know a thing about that!” another girl retorted, and this time, Ranma recognized the voice. However, he convinced himself enough not to believe it, as it was coincidence enough, in his opinion, for them to talk about something like that, with the entire student population to hear. Nope, someone he knew certainly doesn't fit the image of a girl hopelessly in love, except from one time.
 
“Deny it all you want, but it's the truth, right? Surely, with a hunk of a fiancé living with you in the same house, who knows what could've happened?”
 
“That's right! Tell us, Akane!”
 
`Crap! It really is Akane!'
 
Ranma cannot believe what he just heard. It was Akane. It really is Akane, and they are talking about him and that crappy relationship of theirs. He added another reason on why he needed to hide.
 
“But I haven't got anything to tell you. Ranma and I haven't done anything like that. The jerk didn't have the nerve to do anything intimate with any other woman..”
 
`Haven't got the nerve?' he thought bitterly, still irritated at the fact that his tomboy of a fiancée just ridiculed him in front of others. `You.. you tomboy! Just you wait…'
 
“But you've kissed, right? Besides that other time when Ranma-kun is in his Neko-ken mode…”
 
“I…”
 
“Stop taunting her, Sayuri! I believe in you, Akane. Tell me that you and Saotome-kun had kissed a number of times, at least.”
 
“I…I…I…”
 
“You…what?”
 
A long pause filled the air before Ranma heard a vague reply.
 
“I… he… we haven't even kissed yet,” Akane mumbled, her voice carrying a hint of dismay. Though she may hate to admit it, she really felt ashamed that nothing of the sort had happened between her and Ranma. Sure, there's always the belligerent sexual tension every once in a while, and there's also the fact that Ranma had come close upon telling her what he had really felt—especially that one in Jusendou—but…nothing else happened other than that.
 
Like any other girls, she wanted to feel how it feels to be in love and be loved. She wanted to feel intimacies of the sort with the man she loved, and though she already had someone whom she held dearly, he didn't even have what it takes to initiate a romantic relationship with her. She sighed at the thought. Why is Ranma so dense about things like this?
 
Ranma, whose body is still attached to the ceiling, waited for their response.
 
“You…you really haven't kissed?” the two replied, as they gaped in shock. They couldn't believe what they had just heard. Of course, they knew that Ranma is a complete wuss when it comes to women, even if he did have quite a number of catchy fiancées chasing him. They also knew that those two are desired by almost all of the student population of Furinkan. But, when it comes to the both of them, well, they certainly are dense and slow. Real slow. To think that they still haven't kissed…
 
Akane only nodded in affirmation to their question. She is reluctant to admit things like this to them, but since they were her best friends, they are bound to know this sooner or later.
 
“But Akane, you do want to kiss him, right? I mean, you do want to kiss him?”
 
“You do want kiss him senseless! You do, don't you?'
 
Ranma frantically scratched the ceiling in fury. How dare did those girls mess up with their life? The fact that he and Akane may have kissed is entirely none of their business! Surely, Akane won't say something so girlish, she's a complete tomboy and everything but.. he wanted to know her reply anyway, so he anxiously waited for her to speak up.
 
“I… I don't know…”
 
A pang of annoyance ticked the hell out of Ranma as he heard Akane's sudden remark. He'd come across to this, only to find out that Akane did not know if she really wanted to kiss him or not? He didn't like it, and he certainly didn't like the fact that his hold onto the ceiling was getting weaker by the second.
 
“But…If Ranma and I were to kiss, then…maybe… I don't mind that at all. I would even lo...like it.”
 
`W—What?'
 
`I knew it! Ranma-kun and Akane are really…'
 
Her vague reply made the hearts of her overly interested friends skip in glee. They knew it, they expected it, but they never thought that one of them would have the guts to admit it. Maybe, just maybe…then, they had certainly made some advances on their rocky relationship after all? Nevertheless, they continued on fantasizing their friend's blooming yet uncertain relationship.
 
Ranma, on the other hand, cannot believe what he just heard. He must have been hearing things; there's no way that Akane could have said those things! He wasn't convinced. But, deep down, he had felt a surge of relief, a sudden flush of happiness, and a feeling of tranquility that made his soul content. His heart, however, was beating madly in his chest as he recalled the words that had caused his sudden tenseness.
 
But…If Ranma and I were to kiss, then…maybe…I don't mind that at all. I would even lo...like it.
 
He had heard the exact words. However, he was still incoherent as his mind struggled to understand the meaning behind those words. Somehow, he never expected that the words “Ranma + Akane + Kiss” would have such a nice ring to it. Kiss… did that mean that she doesn't mind being kissed? Or she even wanted to kiss him? He was still uncertain, but there's no denying it. He had heard it straight from her. She wanted to kiss him. And much to his surprise, he felt the same way too.
 
The two girls finally squealed in delight. They patted the back of their best friend, all happy at the fact that she and her fiancé are finally making “the moves” on their relationship.
 
“We knew it, Akane! You can do it! We'll be rooting for you!”
 
“Eh? On what? I haven't said anything yet. Have I said anything?” Akane smugly replied. Yuka, Sayuri and Ranma face-faulted, still shocked from her sudden declaration. Ranma's grip on the ceiling loosened. One more word from Akane and he would certainly fall down, he knew it.
 
“Of course you did, silly! About you and Ranma-kun!”
 
“What about us?”
 
“What? Why, the kiss of course!”
 
“K—Kiss?!”
 
Ranma flushed at the word. Somehow, he cannot help but be flustered whenever he heard the word “kiss.” It was all those pesky girls' fault.
 
`But, still… to kiss Akane is…'
 
“Who said anything about kissing Ranma? Why the hell would I kiss that jerk?! You must be nuts! I won't kiss—”
 
`…is a big JOKE.'
 
Ranma's grip on the ceiling loosened once again. He felt his fingers brush through the rough surface of the ceiling, and he face-faulted as he felt his own body follow the rules of gravity. He ended up on the ground head first, but he ignored the physical pain as he gave consideration to the sudden pang of anger at the words spoken by his ruthless fiancée.
 
He cannot believe that he had just believed what she had said. He shouldn't have expected it. He shouldn't have convinced himself. After all, it was too good to be true. Of course, being Ranma, he certainly wouldn't allow someone to hurt his pride, especially if the one he wanted didn't really want him. He got up on his knees and stood up, and steeled his resolve.
 
“And who the hell would've wanted to kiss you? No one will want to kiss such an uncute tomboy like you, you know!”
 
“R—Ranma?”
 
“And I certainly wouldn't kiss an uncute chick like you! Tomboy, sexless, built like a brick, thighs are too thick, super uncuu—OOOOOFFF!”
 
Akane's ever-trusted mallet still rested atop the lumps on Ranma's head when Yuka and Sayuri had finally taken notice of his presence. They shrugged. Somehow, the two of them really did not have what it takes to have a normal relationship because of that sheer pride and stubbornness that both of them possessed.
 
“Uncute. And I certainly wouldn't kiss you, no matter what happens. Got that?”
 
“I got it,” Akane grudgingly replied, as her fighting aura flickered in response. She positioned herself into a fighting stance, and lifted her foot with such force and ferocity until it connected with Ranma's jaw, and made him go up into the sky with a twinkle. “SO.. GO TO HELL AND DON'T EVER SHOW YOUR FACE AGAIN!”
 
`R—Ranma! You big jerk!'
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
The sun had already set when Ranma had finally made his way back to the Tendou-ke. He was tired and hungry, but dinner's still an hour away so he needed to hold his stomach for awhile. A nice, warm bath would be the first course of action, he supposed. He tried to hold himself back from falling down as he winced at the bruises that he had received upon his flight across Nerima. Akane had taken it quite seriously today. She had hit him harder than before.
 
The fact that Akane had hit him harder must have meant something, he mused idly. Was it somehow connected with her earlier girly pep talk? Or did it have to do something at the thought of kissing him, or at the words that he had misled himself into? Whatever it was, he didn't know. He shrugged the thought off. Akane must've been angry again. Well, she's always angry. So uncute of her.
 
As he trudged his way to the flight of stairs, he was surprised to see Akane at the other end.
 
“Uh.. hi, Akane,” he greeted, as his earlier annoyance at the certain blue-black haired girl faded into existence.
 
The girl looked at him begrudgingly and shrugged. She pivoted her foot so that she can go back upstairs, and wasted no time to take heed of the pigtailed martial artist's presence, or of the fact that he had just greeted her and was supposedly ignored.
 
However, one thing's for certain: Akane was mad at him. To be precise, she was fumed at the sight of him. He grumbled in annoyance and frustration. He wasn't someone who was to be taken lightly!
 
“A—Akane! Hey, wait up!” he shouted, and ran across the stairs to follow her. “Wait up, dammit!”
 
Still, there was no response. The last thing that he saw was her retreating figure that scrambled its way back to her room. Fortunately for him, he had somehow caught up with her and grabbed her shoulder, pulling her to face him. However, it deemed to be fruitless as she turned her back to him and locked the door with a loud thump.
 
Ranma, though quite annoyed at the situation, furiously knocked at the door of his angry fiancée. The duck sign that bore the name `Akane' even moved due to the pressure of his rampaging fists.
 
“Dammit, Akane! Open up!”
 
He knocked harder at the wooden surface, and this time, he could've sworn he had heard whimpering sounds from the inside. “Hey, Akane—”
 
“What?” she finally replied, her head poking through the door. “Mind telling me what you're doing here, banging out on my door like that?”
 
“You—you're ignoring me, that's why!”
 
“Ignoring you? Get a hold of yourself. Why in the world would I ignore you?” she retorted. “There's no reason for me to ignore you!”
 
This reply ticked the hell out of Ranma. “You've got plenty of reasons to ignore me, your actions say so!” he begrudgingly replied. “Now, hurry up and talk to me!”
 
“You need to rest,” she spat. “Perhaps a good night's rest would calm you down.”
 
“What? I don't need to rest, you big moron! Hey, Aka—”
 
He was met by a bang of a door being closed, and a crooked ducky that had his fiancée's name engraved on it.
 
Now, he was certain. He had certainly done something wrong this time. But, what could it be? Shouldn't he be the angry one here, considering all that she'd said?
 
“Akane…”
 
`There's no helping it,' he mused idly. Though he cringed at the thought of a mad Akane (a real, pissed off Akane), he cannot help but become concerned. `First thing in the morning…just you wait, you tomboy.'
 
-------------------------------------------
 
Akane woke up to the loud sounds made by her alarm clock. She reluctantly opened her eyes, and slowly got out of bed. It was such a nice day, she mused. Though she will never know how long it will continue to be nice…
 
“Yo! Akane!”
 
As the pajama-clad Akane opened the door of her room, she was greeted by the sight of Ranma, already dressed on his familiar red Chinese clothes. Though she felt kinda happy at the sight of him first thing in the morning, she was still angry enough for her to consider ignoring him. And she did.
 
“So, what do you think about today's breakfast? I bet it'll be fantastic, considering its Kasumi,” he said. “What do you think Akane?”
 
Akane's nice day immediately changed into something undesirable. She felt the sudden urge to hit him after mentioning Kasumi's breakfast. It's as if…he was pinpointing her own weakness at cooking. She knew her cooking can never be as good as Kasumi's. He didn't have to remind her of that first thing in the morning! Still irritated at the turn of events, she ignored him again.
 
“Akane,” he pressed, still unconvinced at the fact that Akane still ignored him. He followed her downstairs as she relentlessly moved away from him. “Hurry up, you tomboy! We're going to be late!”
 
They passed on over a smiling Kasumi, who was still busy setting the food at the table. They even passed at the slacking panda-form of Genma, together with Soun, who was busily reading the morning newspaper. Kasumi noticed her baby sister cross the area.
 
“Good morning, Akane-chan,” she greeted. “Don't forget to put on your uniform.”
 
Akane beamed at her, the first pleasant thing she had done for that morning. “Good morning, oneechan. I'm going to take a bath now, so that wouldn't be a problem,” she replied. Kasumi, in return, smiled at this. Akane then wasted no more time as she crossed again the flight of stairs, and headed straight to the bathroom, sliding the door shut before Ranma can have a say in anything. This, in turn, infuriated Ranma.
 
`What the hell is her problem?'
 
But Ranma wasn't the type to give up. He needed to do something, and it needed to be fast. As long as Akane's ignoring him, he'll never get a good night's sleep. He pondered about Akane's actions for the umpteenth time. Though she may ignore him, she doesn't really stay like that for long. This was the first time that she had ever treated him like that. And much to his surprise, he did not like it even at the tiniest bit.
 
Hence, when Akane took off to school and purposely left him behind that he had to catch up to her, he decided that he had to make amends with her now, and fast.
 
“Akane!” he shouted, still running behind her atop of a fence. “Hey! How come you keep on ignoring me?”
 
Akane still continued on running.
 
“Hey-! You know, if I ever did something bad, then just say so,” he started. He got more and more infuriated by the second as he noticed that she was still ignoring him and his protests. “Look here! If I ever did something that you didn't like, then I'm sorry!”
 
Much to his relief, she finally stopped on her tracks.
 
“A-are you sure about that?” she asked, still hopeful.
 
Relief flushed through Ranma's system as he noticed that Akane had finally taken heed of his presence. “W-w-well… yeah, sort of,” he trailed off. “If I ever did something bad, at least. Have I… have I done something wrong?”
 
She face-faulted at the notion. “Y-y-you mean… you didn't know?”
 
“Well, no,” he replied. “I won't ask you if I knew, right? So—tell me. Tell me the reason why you'd been ignoring me. I ticks me off, y'know-!”
 
She shrugged in return. “Ah, really?” she spat, as she still faced the other way around. “It ticks you off, eh? Well… if you really didn't know, then it's better for you not to know!”
 
`The jerk--! Here I am—I bared myself to him while he's still oblivious of the fact that he—he, of all people—-rejected me!'
 
“Well, we're going to be late. Suit yourself, you pervert,” she growled. She then resumed her marathon towards Furinkan High, while Ranma, on the other hand, froze on the spot as he realized that Akane had really been mad at him, will be mad at him, and most probably, won't ever talk to him again if this continued. Girls, he mused. That unpredictable tomboy--!
 
“Now wait a second here! What the hell you do you think you're doing, storming off like that--?! And who do you think you're calling a pervert?!” he furiously barked. “Oi--! Akane--!”
 
Deciding that he cannot hold himself any longer, he jumped in front of her. Using both of his hands, he forced her to look at him eye-to-eye, as he grasped both of her shoulders. She tensed at his touch, but shrugged it off.
 
“I don't like this, Akane,” he nudged. “I don't like it---I hate it. Just… tell me. I don't understand you--! Heh… if you really wanted to avoid me, then, fine… I knew that I'm too irresistible anyway for you to ignore me any longer…”
 
What met his gaze are cold, icy, brown orbs that bored its way onto his heart like a sharp knife. He felt a small shiver trickle down his spine at her supposed killing intent.
 
“Is that all you wanna say?” she retorted. Ranma gulped nervously in return.
 
“Eh--? I… uh…”
 
“If it is, then GET OUT OF MY SIGHT--!” she spat. She raised her hands upwards and slapped him on the face with so much force that it even contorted sideways, removing both his hands that grasped her shoulders in the process. As Akane finally stormed off towards the gate, Ranma, on the other hand, remained shocked and motionless, his head still at its former position after her ferocious slap. A painful red handprint remained on his left cheek.
 
`I hate you--! Ranma!'
 
----------------------------------------------
 
Ranma remained gloomy for the rest of the afternoon. Akane had been avoiding him all day, and after she utterly `slapped' him, he finally gave up on chasing her. None of his efforts are paying off, anyway. And besides, she couldn't possibly ignore him for too long—they live on the same house, and eat at the same table, dammit!
 
Still, he cannot help but ponder on the cause of Akane's fury. What could've he done wrong this time? More importantly, shouldn't he be the one to be fumed at the sight of her? She picked on the topic of kissing him like it's just some lame joke that was supposed to be thrown away. Yeah, if she did want to ignore him, then he'll play the game! He had every reason to ignore her anyway!
 
He was oblivious of the fact that Akane's friends, Yuka and Sayuri, had found him cursing under his breath as he stood at the halls of the school, obviously upset at the fact that Akane had been terribly cold to him today.
 
The two girls, however, daringly approached him.
 
“Um…Saotome-kun,” Yuka initiated. “Saotome-kun, we need to talk.”
 
Ranma cursed enough to himself at that moment for him to take heed of the two girls' presence.
 
“What is it? Do you need something?” he replied.
 
“I… I mean—we—need to talk about something,” Sayuri interjected. “It's about Akane.”
 
---------------------------------------------
 
The cold nighttime wind brushed through her pale skin as she cradled herself in her bed, lying down in a fetal position. Though the wind may be cold, it was nothing compared to the coldness that had slowly crept unto her heart. Her attempts at controlling her sobs were in vain. They fell freely on her rosy cheeks, despite her efforts on staying calm. She can't help it, anyway. It hurts.
 
And who the hell would've wanted to kiss you? No one will want to kiss such an uncute tomboy like you, you know!
 
She hated it. She hated Ranma. And what's more, she hated herself.
 
How can she mislead herself like this? She shouldn't have believed in him. She shouldn't have hoped. She shouldn't have expected. She was stupid.
 
Why did Ranma have to say that, anyway? If it happened a few days back, she wouldn't have cared. If it happened an hour before that encounter, she wouldn't have cared. Of course, she knew that deep down inside, it is inevitable that he will say it, regardless of the situation. She also says those things, after all. But…it wasn't then. It just happened that after she had finally gathered her resolve, and for the first time in her entire life, admitted to the public that she had wanted to kiss someone, he happened to overhear it. Why—oh, why did it have to be that moment--? Why did it turn out to be the worst case scenario? After Ranma had shown himself, she had been certain that he had heard what she had said. And what's worse, his reaction---it seemed that he hated it. Does the thought of him kissing her really disgust him that much?
 
Though she may not be an expert at love, she did it have the so-called “women's intuition.” And what her instincts tell her—she, the inexperienced tomboy—was that he really didn't love her back. He didn't want her. He did not want to kiss her. Then, if it's that, what the hell is that ordeal at Jusendou anyway? Did he just say that because he was scared at the thought of her, dying? So, all those words that made her heart skip a beat—were just made out of impulse, of instinct, and not of sincerity, as what she had always believed?
 
Well, if he had heard her, and had proclaimed that he will never kiss her, and will never want to, then—it was all clear. It just felt like she had just confessed her feelings, and was supposedly rejected. She, the one who was being chased by the hentai horde every morning, was utterly rejected? Heh. Kunou-senpai would have to kill him for that, but he would probably claim her first. Why—oh,why?—did she have to fall in love with him? That jerk.
 
As she drowned herself in her sorrows, never did she notice the retreating figure of a certain pigtailed martial artist who sneaked a peek through her window.
 
`She's crying again,' he thought bitterly. `I need to make it up to her.'
 
Reaching for the covers, he settled himself deep within his futon. He ignored the loud snores that his father made when he slept, even in panda form. He was too busy thinking. And, what's worse, the sight of Akane crying herself to sleep was too much for him to handle.
 
He then heaved a deep sigh. `That settles it, then,' he mused. `What Yuka and Sayuri had told me must've been true.'
 
­-------------------------------------
 
Due to the sheer length of this fic, I've split it into two parts. I've already finished the second-half, so if you've sent me nice reviews, then I might as well update it, then!
 
Please, no flames!