Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Rendezvous with Fate ❯ June ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Revision:
04/02/06 : Common mistakes in the English Language
01/14/06 : Revising hads, and quotation punctuation
10/18/05 : Revising grammar
09/19/05 : Revised grammar extensively. Deleted a few unnecessary scenes. Took out after alls, annoying paragraphs and three ellipses.

Special Thanks to:
MJ Maurice Phillip
Tin and Angel Jourdan Bickham
Byooki Desu Anno Nimus
Thomas HamillCat Highlord
And to the person reading this.

But the cynic, the sad and the fallen,
Who has no strength for strife,
The world's highway is cumbered today,
They make up the sum of life.
Ella Wilcox
Worthwhile


Rendezvous with Fate v.2
by iCe
Chapter 8
... You know, it doesn't look like it but all of them seemed to share something special back then, I wasn't sure how to fit in...

Nabiki massaged her forehead while watching Yuka lay out the ingredients for Yosenabe. Taking aside Kodachi's penchant for putting potions in her food, she was an expert cook. So at first, Nabiki thought that a simple dish like Yosenabe would be an easy start to the day. However, the Kodachi of late proved to be unpredictable.
Nabiki waved at the low table. "I know you're a fairly skilled cook, but you haven't taken in to account the fact that samurai hardly get to eat their meals. There are too many things that come up in between. It is a wife's duty to see that her husband eats."
Usually, samurai wives rarely enter the kitchen, but Kodachi seemed enthusiastic to learn. If Kodachi forgot that tidbit of information Nabiki wasn't going to remind her. Humiliating Kodachi has always been her greatest reward.
"Your skill also depends on your mastery of the recipe. I'm sure you'll do fairly well. Cooking is something that you've enjoyed in the past. We'll get to all the special moves after I've seen you cook." Nabiki nodded as she looked at Kodachi's sweating form, for the third time Nabiki wondered what was making her uneasy. "Well?"
"Uh... I can only cook curry, Nabiki." Kodachi gulped at all the ingredients in front of her.
Nabiki frowned at the thought of walking Kodachi through the cooking part of 'Martial Arts of Good Graces'. Though she knew how to cook, she was admittedly not as good as Kodachi and her ability was not even near Ranma's own. "Don't you even know how to cook dashi(1)?" Nabiki demanded, her hands tapping the table.
"Soup stock? Well sure." Kodachi shrugged, "I just didn't know it was needed in Yosenabe."
She then proceeded to boil about six cups of water. Nabiki nodded in supervision. Kodachi took the konbu, (2) out of the wooden container and placed it with the boiling water. Nabiki's eyebrows twitched as she watched the konbu.
"What do you think you're doing?" Nabiki demanded fishing the kelp out of the pot with her long chopsticks and into its original container. "You didn't even wash the konbu!"
Kodachi winced but took the kelp and attempted to wash it with soap.
Nabiki wanted to tell her to wash the konbu with cold water, but it seemed futile to rescue the already soggy kelp. She hated to think what the dried kelp tasted like now.
The woman didn't bother notice how much she was adding in to her food and barely bothered to look exactly what she placed inside the container. 'Calm down, Nabiki, breathe. Don't bother, it's okay.' She watched as Akane took a handful of katsuobushi(3) , bonito flakes, and added it to the kelp.
"Please give me patience," Nabiki murmured as she relieved Kodachi of her present task and gave her a chopping board and a knife. It was something Nabiki was sure Kodachi would remember.
She would prove mistaken as she watched Kodachi chop the Chinese cabbage, the tofu and the onions all together, which wouldn't have been so bad -- if Kodachi knew how to handle a knife. Kodachi handled the knife like an axe leaving the vegetables irregularly cut while adding bits of the chopping board to the mixture.
"Kodachi, how could a woman named after a short sword not know how to handle a knife?" Nabiki asked dryly as she watched small bits of the food flying around.
Nabiki wished she could shout. She ended up doing almost everything when she was prepared to do absolutely nothing. "This is how you cook Yosenabe. Hand me the dashi."
Kodachi quickly complied, and Nabiki poured the whole four cups then covered the whole thing and looked at Kodachi, "Keep it under that for ten minutes then close the fire of the brazier."
"Sorry."
Nabiki looked at her with mixed feelings. "Look, so you forgot how to cook. It's obviously your amnesia again. Get over it. There are many things your amnesia is making you forget. At least you cooked a decent Yosenabe."
Kodachi nodded as she watched the pot, Nabiki went off to find her two pupils. She did not expect to cook Yosenabe for three sticks. She was due to teach her students strategy an hour ago.
Picking up her pace, Nabiki wondered if Kodachi would manage to bungle up that last piece of order. She resolved to let Yuka do the teaching when it came to cooking. Maybe they'll take up ikebana tomorrow. Surely the girl can't forget two arts.
Again, her mind wandered to Kodachi, 'I hope the food will be digestible by second meal.' She thought as she moved towards her pupil's rooms. 'I hope she manages to remember to take the food out in ten minutes. Maybe I should've just let her cook rice.'
She would be sorely disappointed.
When Kodachi asked for her help a month ago, she never imagined they'd end up eating sashimi(4) for lunch.

Meanwhile Kodachi... the real Kodachi was looking half-heartedly at her two escorts. If she had any illusions about the afterlife, it ended around the time that she was given her sentence. The afterlife was nothing but the eerie white walls and the holier-than-thou guards.
There was no time. It was a convergence where all off history met into one point. She was in purgatory. Since she was pulled out from her body before her time, it was judged that she would to repent in this prison until her supposed end. According to her guardian, it was going to be a long wait.
Today, she sat in front of the scrying bowl. Her judges adding to her punishment by making her watch in detail her life through the woman that was living her body.
She seethed inwardly as she saw Ranma's face, touching it softly against the reflected waters. She truly loved her husband. It may have not been such a conventional love, but it was love... in the twisted abyss she called her mind.
Had she not loved him, she would not have put up with him for seven years, not play the game that was eating his soul away... because the moment Kodachi married him... she swore that no one could ever have him, and neither could she. It was this warped sense of love that made Kodachi Kuno insane to the eyes of most people and cruel to the hearts of others.
They were in a continuing game of pain. Ranma loved pain and suffering. He killed for Lord Happosai and will surely kill again. Surely he wanted what she was doing... he was not one to love the weak... and she set out to prove that she was not weak.
Of course this woman in her body was ruining all her hard work.
Her hands clasped around her neck wishing fully that this woman could feel her pain. It was obvious that she didn't after the first few tries. Although Kodachi didn't stop until she nearly fainted from the lack of oxygen. The woman closed eyes for a moment and when they re-opened, Kodachi saw Nabiki's face. Kodachi rubbed her temples. She didn't know who was more infuriating, Nabiki, or the parasite that was using her body.
"Her name is Akane."
Kodachi's eyes flew open, she was sure she was alone, her guardians leaving her, watching the scrying bowl was her task alone. "What?"
"I said, her name is Akane." The woman smiled a little, Kodachi noted that she was different from her usual guard. She talked to her, for one, and for another she was looking at the bowl with her. Her guards never looked at the golden bowl.
"What is it?" Kodachi was irked by the disturbance, but didn't mind. Missing one of Nabiki's scathing remarks wasn't something she would easily decline. "I thought I was supposed to watch her in peace."
"Oh, so a visit from me," she said, pointing to herself rather excessively. "The only person who has talked to you in, what -- five months -- is the worst thing you could have right now?"
Opening her mouth for an answer, Kodachi started to speak, but the woman smiled and interrupted her, "Or is the scrying bowl too good for your tastes. You wish to watch another woman live off your life, right?"
"I don't think --"
"Oh no, let me finish. It's sooo good to watch your life through another woman's eyes. All those years wasted. Years to live that are rightfully yours. So a visit from me is the worst you can have in this--" She waved around at the immaculately white room, her voice dripping with the sarcasm her exaggerated actions pointed at, "—solitary confinement of yours.
"And seeing that you are obviously soooooooooo happy, I should be going rather than offer you a chance to go and tell your lovely little husband that that hussy in your body isn't you, right?" She shrugged.
Kodachi closed her mouth as she thought about the woman's offer. "I guess my lord was wrong about you then. What a waste."
The lady spun around and briskly started to walk away but Kodachi called out to her again, "Wait, woman. You to jump to conclusions too easily. What are you implying? Your lord would not be pleased if his order wasn't carried out just because you thought I was a waste of your time."
The woman swiveled back to face Kodachi, not bothering to hide a pleased look on her face. "Good, I'm quite in a hurry, my schedule isn't manageable you know. I have lots of work to do and you are just one of them. My lord wishes to give you your life back."
"How? My body isn't..." Kodachi paused searching for the right words, "...available at the moment."
"True, but our dear Akane's is." The woman turned to the bowl, where she could see Akane looking over what looked like recipes. "I'm sure we could work something out."
"I thought her body was damaged." Kodachi frowned as she looked at her hands. The woman reminded her again of her state. It was eerie to remember that she wasn't a tangible being anymore, and yet she could still feel her own flesh. To her, the body she owned was as solid as the scrying bowl in front of her... to anyone else, she couldn't be touched... much less seen. "It's the whole reason why she was sent in my body."
"'Ye of little faith." The woman looked at her expectantly but merely smiled when Kodachi looked back blankly, and Kodachi was starting to tire of that smile that played across her face. "My lord can do a lot of things. Nothing is impossible with a god."
Kodachi looked at the woman dubiously. "Why are you offering me this?"
"My job is not to question, merely to obey." She bowed. "Why question such a wonderful gift Kodachi Saotome? You'll find, there are some things almost impossible to get in life. One of them is a second chance. Surely you realize that this grant isn't something given freely to most people."
"Yes... but at what price?" Kodachi murmured thoughtfully. "It may be more than what I am willing to pay."
"There are no strings attached, you could do whatever you want." The woman shrugged at her worries, as if it was trivial. "I said my time is very limited, will you accept my lord's offer Lady Saotome?"

Nabiki looked for a moment at the kimono she picked out for the day and put it on in the brisk manner as she did everything else in the house. It was early morning, and most probably, her brother was already awake in his girl form practicing a kata in the dojo.
Ranma, by habit, was an early riser. The fact that the whole household needed to be up before him, deeply unnerved him. He hated the fact that the whole household needed to conform to his schedule. Which was why he almost always practiced his kata in girl form, letting the servants think that he was still asleep.
Still, Nabiki thought that telling the servants to get up early was much better than waiting hours for first meal, among other things. Her stomach was decidedly empty and one needed to break the fasting of the night.
Pulling fresh tabi(5) on her feet, she went to check on Sei first. She woke him gently with her prodding hand turning to do the same thing to Hanae when Sei started rubbing his eyes awake.
Upon waking up, both of them realized the tardiness of their rising because of who woke them. They immediately tried to work in alertness to substitute their yukatas for their sleeping kimonos, knowing full well that their first lesson began straight after breaking their fast. The earliness of the meal depended on Ukyo's arrival.
Seeing that task done, Nabiki opened the shoji to the kitchen. Yuka was already up and was cooking some soup and some rice. "Good Morning Lady Nabiki. Should I prepare something more? You've informed me that Ukyo-san will come by."
"Good morning, Yuka." Nabiki smiled genially in return as she watched the kitchen goings on. Contrary to what others outside Rose Brier think, Nabiki was familiar with all the servants that work under her. Her cold demeanor only applied to dealings outside the house. "No, this will be enough, Ukyo will prepare more."
Turning to go when she found nothing amiss, Nabiki checked on the servant's quarters. When she passed by, she found that all the servants were awake, which pleased her. An efficient household does not run on lazy hands. The next she checked were the samurai, and all were on their scheduled posts.
She was going to the next part of her morning routine when a samurai approached her to announce Ukyo's arrival. Nabiki nodded in dismissal and was about to look for Ranma, but dismissed it when she saw Ukyo in front of the house.
"Ukyo, how nice to see you," Nabiki greeted her, while Ukyo bowed according to Nabiki's rank. "How has life been treating you?"
"Well as any peasant might, Lady Nabiki. You?" Ukyo looked over Nabiki's shoulder, showing Nabiki her eagerness to see Hanae or Ranma. With Ukyo, the eagerness was probably more for Ranma rather than her charge. Nabiki frowned at the title since Ukyo and she had been good friends in the past. It was only recently that Ukyo acquired the irritating knack of calling her lady.
"Well as any samurai might, do come in." She waved to the entrance of the house, Ukyo's station did not allow her the use of palanquin or horse and the travel was always tiring to one who has been walking for miles. "Would you want something to drink?"
"No, thank you." Removing her geta, she wiped her feet with the small cloth she carried while looking around the doorway. "Is Lady Kodachi away?"
"Fortunately, the lady of the house is home for the moment," Nabiki said dryly, conveying to Ukyo her true feelings regarding the presence of the woman. "Although I hope her presence will not hamper you to provide us with first meal?"
"I always serve okonomiyaki when I'm here, lady. I would not have it any other way." Ukyo offered as she followed slightly behind Nabiki towards the kitchen.
"Well then, we will have a good first meal." Nabiki nodded as she turned to one of the samurai to escort Ukyo the rest of the way. Although the girl knew the way by heart, formality demanded that she be accompanied. "I will find my niece and lord for you."
"Actually lady, I came not to pick Hanae up... but to say goodbye." Ukyo looked at her feet her voice hesitating over the words.
Nabiki stopped in mid-step. The twins have known Ukyo ever since they were children. Beyond the titles, beyond the foster care, Ukyo was one of the most solid things in their lives. "Ukyo?"
"I don't think I can do this anymore, Lady Nabiki." She looked up, and Nabiki could see the glassy shine of tears in her eyes. "You know what Lord Ranma means to me, my lady, and I think I started to see things clearly in Happosai's donjon..."
Nabiki tried to restring the almost garbled words Ukyo was wailing out as soon as she spoke them. Nabiki was surprised, she didn't think Ukyo of all people, would let her brother go. Not Ukyo Kuonji. Ukyo continued, "Lady Nabiki, it struck me that I'm just torturing myself. I can't have him. Only a fool would make a peasant a samurai's wife."
"And we all know Genma was a fool," Nabiki pointed out, wondering if her words were alleviating the pain or was just adding to it. She hasn't been one to give comfort and at times when it was needed, she remained largely unsure of how to act.
"But even he didn't make me Lord Ranma's wife," Ukyo murmured, "Not even consort. I can't continue to be foster mother to Hanae. Not anymore. She reminds me of could haves and would haves, but also because I don't want her to think that I'm using her to get close to her father."
"Ukyo... nobody thinks that. Ranma chose you to be Hanae's foster mother. It is my pleasure that he chose such a dear and trusted friend." Nabiki smiled ruefully. "You've been her foster mother all her life. Surely you must realize that Hanae loves you deeply."
"She's a big girl now. I'm not even her official foster mother. I'm just a proxy to Ranko. I can't do it anymore, Nabiki. Please." Ukyo wiped her tears before they dropped. "You don't know how hard it is to try to stop falling in love with someone who you practically see every day. And I do... through his daughter."
"If that is your wish, then I'm not going to try to change your mind." Everything regarding the house was under Nabiki's mandate, therefore the foster mothers of the children fell under her responsibilities, but she couldn't help feel the need to tell her brother. Although matters like this do not concern him, Ukyo was one of their oldest friends. "You have to speak with Ranma. Should I tell him to look for you in the kitchen, or do you want some time to yourself?"
"I'll tell him after you eat, my lady," Ukyo responded.
Nabiki frowned, wanting to say more but stopped herself. "I have some more things I have to do, Ukyo, please let Omokage-san lead you to the kitchen." Ukyo nodded in acquiescence as the samurai who were following them silently stepped in front of her to do Nabiki's bidding.

Cologne walked to her great-granddaughter's room to find her already awake. Unlike the days when they have actively pursued Ranma, they did not have the Nekohanten anymore, so their stay in Japan would be shorter than the usual.
The twins' abrupt departure was not to be taken well, so Cologne resolved to follow them. She already talked about her intent to leave with Happosai and taken leave from Lady Nodoka. Shampoo looked groggily at her, and she placed one of the Chinese dresses beside her great-granddaughter then spoke to her in Chinese, "Xian Pu, take a bath and dress up quickly, we're leaving early."
"Leaving," Shampoo asked drowsily as she gathered her clothes to go to the furo. "I thought we'd be staying a bit more."
"I'd rather not stay under the same roof as Happosai for too long," Cologne answered mildly. "But we're not leaving Japan yet. We have one more stop to go before we leave the country."
Shampoo stood up to follow Cologne's orders while Cologne tended to the other things. Swiftly she packed the few clothes Shampoo decided to bring along. It didn't take long for her thoughts to wander towards Hanae.
'So, Rian has a daughter after all.' Cologne thought, while doing the mundane task. 'From what Ukyo tells us, Hanae is quite proficient in the art as well.'
Most of the remnants of the Fiancée Wars, as it was aptly termed by most who participated in it, were nearly gone. It seemed every single fiancée Ranma has, was already married, dead, ronin or nun. Except for Ukyo and Shampoo. They were always the most persistent. Had Shampoo lost to Ukyo, Cologne would have bowed out gracefully from the fight, taking her great-granddaughter with her.
Fate seemed to want another thing, and their leave was less than gracious. Kodachi Kuno was the last person Cologne had thought would snare Ranma Saotome. Just as that Ikkasei man was the last person she thought would get Nabiki. Both were less than adequate matches for the two.
Ukyo seemed like she would never marry, never get over Ranma. She clung too much to the past and embraced pain too much by accepting Ranma's offer as a foster mother. She took it hard. They were the best of friends and she expected that Ranma would choose her eventually. She was let down hard and hated him for a long time because of it.
Shampoo seemed too dead to the past. She flirted with Mousse when the moment provided for it but there was no reality for the show of affection. It was incomparable to what she felt for Ranma.
Ranma was angry with his wife, and Nabiki seemed to be angry with both Kodachi and Happosai.
Nabiki has her own share of trouble, has a million of fiancés. But in Japan, as Cologne found out, men were married off as soon as he wills and a woman as soon as she can. Nabiki couldn't marry when her brother was still unmarried. Happosai has plenty of descendants to marry off for political connections that he waited on his own sweet time to grant her omiai.
But Nabiki's hate for Happosai stemmed from the fact that she did not believe in him as head of a clan. Her hate for Kodachi ran much deeper.
Ranma, that boy she couldn't even dwell on, he was a problem all and by himself. Her memory quickly drifted to one of the first tests she set upon the twins.
||---------------------||
Kuh Lon watched Ranma and Nabiki as they fought against each other, their panda guardian off to the side chewing on bamboo shoots that they chopped off specifically for him. She signaled for a cut with the clap of her hands.
Both parted and bowed at each other, she smiled, they were the perfect students. "You impress me." She turned to Ranma addressing him in Mandarin, "You have brains to match your brawns," then she turned to Nabiki, "And you have skill to match your wit."
Both of them said at the same time, preening under the compliments. She sensed that she'd have to dole out compliments slowly with them else their egos would grow too large for their heads.
"Ahh... but there is something I still haven't seen you do," she said, as she signaled to one of the servants to come forward and give them each what she assigned them to read that morning. "Read it to me."
One look at the writing and Ranma gulped. "I'm not very good with reading Chinese, matriarch."
"Read what you can, deshi." She smiled. "I'm surprised you managed to have good language skills with such an... intellectually challenged foster father."
"Actually..." Ranma started, "Nabiki forced me to do this. Honest! She managed to get every scroll and forced me to listen to her reading all those boring things. I can't believe I have a sister who likes all those dull stuff."
"Someone has to be smart enough, Ranma. Besides, I can't have my other half dumb, now could I?" Nabiki smiled as she opened the scroll that was handed to her. "The name that can be named is not the Eternal Name. The way that can be mapped is not the Eternal Way," Nabiki read fluently the beginning words of the Tao Te Ching.
"Show off," he whispered to her, which earned him a jab on the back.
Cologne clapped her hands. "Good child! Your aptitude towards the language is excellent..."
Ranma humphed as he raised the small nursery rhyme scribbled hastily by the Amazon matriarch. "It would actually help if Rian would keep to herself and Xian would stop paying visits! I know enough!"
That earned him a strike in the head with Cologne's cane. "Speak Chinese boy! Happosai has ordered you to train under me! I was told you two were the best! I do not want to be disappointed! Besides it is quality and not quantity of what you know that counts."
"Well, I know enough of the basics and some of the advanced stuff. We already won a battle!" Ranma protested to the matriarch.
"Small battles are not wars, deshi." She only smiled at his theatrics. "You have only been under my care for two days! You do not know everything boy."
"Quality, not quantity of what you know is what counts." Ranma smiled as Cologne realized he used her words against her.
"As interesting as this conversation sounds, Rian must have her sparring sessions... go off to find the slacker." The matriarch smiled. Ranma shuddered, she knew that sparring sessions with Rian flustered him. "Not you, boy, you are staying with me to improve your reading skills. Nabiki will go to train with her, they are about parallel in skill."
Both shrugged in unison as Nabiki departed, Ranma scratched his head. "What I'd reallylike to know is why pops here trained us to speak Chinese but never taught us how to read."
Cologne cracked a smile. "Well it doesn't matter, boy. I'm teaching you how to read Chinese."
||---------------------||
They were an energetic group. One that learned so much, so quickly.
What troubled her was that the only person who has actually someone to take after was Nabiki and Rian. She wondered when Ranma would produce an heir, his skill would be wasted if he did not produce offspring.
'At least Rian and Nabiki have produced fine children... Nothing to surpass their own skill...' Cologne thought finally as she closed their traveling bags. 'But at least someone has produced children.'

"What do you want to tell me, Ukyo?" Ranma smiled as they sat down in the teahouse, Nabiki following behind. Isolated from the main house, the teahouse was the most private of all rooms in all samurai homes. It was the reason why most of the confidential meetings were held there, and the reason why Nabiki wanted Ranma to meet Ukyo there.
"Um... It's not really all that secret, Ranma. Taking me to the teahouse was not really necessary." Ukyo fidgeted under Ranma's questioning look, staring at her hands.
"I just wondered if you would like to partake in chanoyu," Ranma asked looking at Nabiki who suggested the whole affair.
Declining, Ukyo looked at him. "I'm no samurai, Ranma. I don't know the formal tea ceremony that much."
"I'm sure you'll do just fine," Ranma said trying to calm her, waiting patiently for the news she brought.
"I've been thinking, Ranma." Ukyo wanted it over as soon as possible, but she couldn't find the words to express herself. "I thought about the conversation we had when you picked Hanae up, and I realized that I was being a hypocrite."
Ranma did not understand where Ukyo's thoughts were leading to, so he didn't interrupt her, just giving a passing nod to show that he was listening. "Hanae becomes more like you every day, maybe not her looks, but her cocky smile, her movements... she's even taking to that sheepish look you once had when we were young. Don't get me wrong, I care for her as I would my own... but I can't take care of her anymore."
"Ukyo... I --"
"No, Ranma, let me finish. I was bringing it on to myself too, you know. I thought maybe because I have your daughter, maybe then, you could see me as I see you." Her hand brushed her cheek. "But I've been harboring an illusion. I am still your vassal, Lord Ranma, but I cannot be Hanae-san's foster mother any longer."
"Ukyo..." Ranma trailed off, not knowing what to say. He didn't know about Ukyo's growing discomfort of the idea, and her statement surprised him, as much as it did Nabiki. "If that's what you want, I can't deny you your freedom but... what will you do now?"
"Oh, I can still cook okonomiyaki. It's how I'll make a living." She shrugged she was still unsure of how to proceed after giving up Hanae. She didn't think about that at all. She never found any reason to. "Maybe go to my father. See how everything is doing."
"You will still visit, right Ukyo?" Nabiki asked from the side, giving an encouraging smile to the girl.
Ukyo returned the smile, if somewhat hesitantly. "Sure, Nabiki." Now that they were private, the formalities were dispensed. "I'd always want to drop by and see my favorite twins after all."
"And you're always welcome here, Ucchan," Ranma said, feeling good at calling her the nickname. Maybe now that she wasn't foster mother she'll let both of them call her by her old pet name.
The twins waited on how she would respond, and Ukyo took her time in doing so. "Sure, Ranchan, Biki-chan." There was an identical sigh of relief from the twins at hearing her response. "But before I go I want to ask a favor, Ranchan."
"Anything Ucchan."
Ranma was completely surprised by the kiss that followed. He desperately wished that all of his old fiancées would stop kissing him for 'old times sake'. Trouble always came afterward.
Ukyo broke off when Nabiki cleared her throat loudly. Both of them turned to her. She raised both of her eyebrows, her fan discreetly pointed towards the door. Ranma caught the distinct flash of a yellow kimono before their intruder disappeared from view. Both Ranma and Nabiki knew instantly who the person was even without seeing the face. There were only few who could approach the tea house with the samurai and even fewer who could wear a yellow kimono of that quality.
Ukyo sensed the distress her friend was experiencing and backed away. One could read Ranma's expressions easily, which is why the negotiations of the house usually fell on Nabiki.
Flashing out her fan, Nabiki covered her mouth with it, watching her brother's reaction and raising a questioning eyebrow at Ukyo.
"Go, Ranchan I think you and your wife need to talk more than we do." She gave him a reassuring smile, but he still hesitated. "Go. Nabiki will keep me company."
With that, Ranma leapt out of the door to find his wife. Ukyo watched him until she could no longer see his figure then turned to Nabiki. "How long has he been like that?"
"Like what?" Nabiki's slowed the movement of her fan weighing Ukyo's right to know of such things.
"You know, stepping around eggshells with Kodachi."
"Since forever." Nabiki sighed, Ranma and Kodachi's marriage has never been one she would call a peaceful one. It was never dull either, but it grated on the nerves. "But if what you're really asking is how long has he actually taken Kodachi's feelings in to consideration, that's a different question altogether."
"And?" Ukyo looked expectantly at one of her best friends. It has been so long since she talked to Nabiki as equals, as friends. After Hanae, their talk became limited, dwindling down to the off-handed hello when they met.
Nabiki stopped her fan and looked at Ukyo directly in the eyes. "Maybe since mother's birthday. Possibly sometime before that."
"What do you think?"
"It's what my brother thinks that is most vital to the situation at hand." Nabiki sighed then hid her fan in her obi. "Tell me, Ucchan, what made you give up on my brother?"
"I don't know," Ukyo said dejectedly, she looked at her hands. "Maybe it was because I realized that I could never make him happy, maybe it's because I know that I'm just one in a million girls..." She looked at Nabiki then smiled a bit, "and boys Genma chanced upon."
"I know the feeling." Nabiki offered her a weak smile.
"Of what?"
"Being unsure of yourself." She clapped her hands and Naoko, her personal maid, appeared serving them some tea. She backed away after the task was finished.
Ukyo didn't know how to respond to that. "You? Unsure of yourself? You're one of the most definite-minded person I know."
Giving her a small shake of her head, Nabiki looked out of the window. "Maybe when we were young. Now it's all an illusion, Ucchan. Best you remember we've all changed."
Ukyo was surprised at Nabiki, she has never come across such a girl. At twenty-nine, she was a cynic. Of course, Nabiki also has a very hard life. "What happened to you? To both of you? How did I miss such a change?"
"I don't really blame you. Sometimes when we try hard to believe something, what we perceive turns out what we want it to be and not the truth." Nabiki waved her hand at the still-open door where Ranma had fled just a moment before. "You wanted so much to believe the love he gave you was more than a friend..."
"My brother has been the focus of your attention, even since we were young. When we were six we stole your food, after that you turned all your resources to getting us killed. When we turned sixteen you decided that you would fall in love with Ranma, when we were twenty-two you hated him, at twenty-three you held grudging respect for him. Now at twenty-nine... you're falling in love with him again."
"You make it sound like you've analyzed the whole thing," Ukyo whispered embarrassed at the summary of her life and its accuracy. It had revolved too much on the twins. Far too much.
"I've had the time to study it." Nabiki stopped to get the tea from the maid and dismissed her. "You two are the closest people in the world to me."
It was one of those times that awkwardness settled thick on their conversation. Ukyo tried to continue the conversation, "Still, you pointed it out. I've had my whole life revolving around the two of you. How could I miss such a change?"
"Because you were not looking for it," Nabiki sipping some of the green tea that smelled faintly of Jasmine, said. "And because for thirteen years you have been trying to get Ranma to make you consort there simply wasn't any room to notice."
Looking at the tea uneasily, Ukyo shook her head. "Did I really waste my life, Nabiki?"
"You thought you were doing what was best for you. It's not the past we have to apologize for. We can do nothing about that, it's the present." Putting down her tea, Nabiki held Ukyo's hands in between hers, could offer reassure Ukyo about the future, but Nabiki always knew what to say even if it didn't come off as comfort. "You did what was best, you realized your mistake, and for that I admire you."
"Why?"
There was silence, Ukyo thought that Nabiki wasn't going to answer, but she finally did. "Because I still haven't resolved mine." Then as if nothing of importance was being said, Nabiki stood up, brushed her kimono and smiled. "I think this conversation is getting too sentimental, don't you think? Come on, Ukyo, let's walk by the beach."

After Akane's failure at cooking Yosenabe, everything went downhill with Nabiki's attempts to make her produce edible food. It was more than obvious that Nabiki was getting frustrated at the accumulation of the food wasted on each cooking attempt and annoyed at the fact that they had been eating raw food for the couple of days that Akane managed to get her hands at cooking.
Still, Akane continued to try, and today was no exception. She skipped around gaily at the house, wondering what she would cook next, and decided that her husband should take that pick for her.
"Do you know where Ranma is, Ifuku?" Akane finally asked after circling the whole house twice and missing her husband. It has come to her attention that he could've left just as he did most of the days, but the samurai that traveled with him were still around.
"Lord Ranma seems to have visitors, my lady," Ifuku answered folding some of Akane's newly acquired kimonos. "I think it's Hanae-san's foster mother, Ukyo-san."
"Oh..." Akane's face fell a bit then she decided she'd just ask him what he'd like for dinner with his guest. Since he didn't seem to be around too much lately and she might miss him if she dawdled she wanted to ask him now rather than later. "Uh... where would they be?"
"They're not in the kitchen, or the garden perhaps," Ifuku suggested, not stopping from her chores.
"No... I can't find them anywhere in the vicinity." Akane frowned as she thought about the places she visited systematically. "No... Nowhere."
"Has my lady tried the tea house perhaps?" Ifuku suggested, it was known that Ranma took most of his meetings with his friends in the teahouse. Sometimes when he really wished to be private, they usually went boating in the bay.
"Oh... the tea house. Right." Akane turned towards the said structure after thanking Ifuku, only to be blocked by two other samurai.
"Lady Ko--"
"It's Akane," she reminded him patiently. Most of the household already used the name, but a stubborn few still forgot.
"Lady Akane... my lord Ranma has given explicit orders not to let anyone in the vicinity of the tea house," the guard insisted, his hand on his sword hilt.
Akane gave him one of her smiles. "Oh come on, I hardly see my husband. I just want to ask what he would like for dinner, so I can finally cook for him." She pushed insistently forward.
"But Lord Ranma has ordered --"
"I'm his wife," Akane stated, finally seeing the samurai wouldn't let her through. "I don't see what he could be talking about with Hanae's nanny that should be kept secret from his own wife."
The guard frowned for a moment then finally answered, "Well... I guess so. Lady Nabiki is also with them."
"There you go." Akane clapped her hands delighted. "You can open the shoji for me and I'll just peek. If he's not doing anything too important for his wife to ask what his dinner will be I'll just sorta ask over the shoji."
"Well..."
"Come on. I'll just be a while." Akane smiled again, and the guard finally relented, opening the shoji for her. Although he was conveniently concealed from people from the inside of the teahouse, he stayed by the door to guard her for her word.
Akane thanked him then turned to look at Ranma. It seemed like they were having this conversation, and a woman was crying. She looked at this scene and decided that she might not want to interfere in what she didn't understand, when the woman leaned closer to Ranma and kissed him.
Akane stepped away from the tea house, unsure of how she felt at first, not understanding the scene that just played out before her. The urge to call out to Ranma died on her lips ending up in a small whisper that Nabiki heard.
Slowly, Akane backed away from the small reunion, breaking into a run when she was away from the perimeter of the tea house, ignoring the samurai who allowed her to pass.
She looked around wildly, realizing that she was in the middle of an empty corridor with no one to run to for comfort. Bewilderment and confusion led its way to anger. "Why should I be the one running?" she asked out loud, and as soon as the words were out of her mouth, she felt relieved. She wasn't doing anything wrong.
By the time Ranma caught up to her, she was already composed, her irrational anger vented into the correct channels. "Let me explain," Ranma started.
"You don't need to explain to me, Ranma," Akane said irritably, not wanting another confrontation with her husband so soon after their last bout. "I am only your wife, after all."
"I know I don't need to, but I want to," the sincere words alleviated some of her anger enough to listen to his words.
"Don't you remember Ukyo?" Ranma asked slowly, trying to gauge her reaction. Akane couldn't show any recognition, because she simply had not met Ukyo before. "She was my former fiancée. One of my oldest friends. She is -- was Hanae's foster mother."
"So you spread your favor to Hanae's foster mother but you don't spare some affection for your own wife?" Akane asked softly, she inclined her head slightly. "I wish to rest for a bit, Ranma, could I be excused? You still have your visitor to tend to."
Not waiting for his words, Akane turned her back to him and walked towards her room. To her credit, she managed to close the door before driving her fist through one of the small tables.
-
Nabiki watched as her brother approached her with an angry frown plastered across his face. She sighed as she looked at Ukyo, who shrugged in turn.
"I take it his talk with Kodachi did not go as planned," Ukyo whispered to Nabiki, not wishing to draw Ranma's unnecessary hostile attention towards her. Although it was certain he would not harm her, she didn't particularly want to be the focus of his anger.
"It seems so." Then again, Ranma and Kodachi have never actually met eye to eye. "Ucchan, you were telling me a while ago that you wanted to talk to Hanae."
Taking her words as a casual dismissal, Ukyo bowed and set off towards the house to look for Hanae. She gave Ranma a cheery wave then disappeared towards the shoji doors.
"Ranma, what happened?" Nabiki asked in concern, as Ranma finally approached her. It didn't take Kodachi long to engage a fight with Ranma. "Is there something I could help you with?"
He shook his head remaining silent about the words spoken between Kodachi and him. Nabiki always thought that Kodachi could only be dealt with one way, so she brought up the solution to Ranma knowing that he would never think of it himself. "If Kodachi has become too much of a burden to you, I could always commit seppuku."
"No!" Ranma declared vehemently. The rules of the marriage tied Kodachi and Nabiki's lives irrevocably. Nabiki would die by Kuno sword if Kodachi died by a Saotome's hand and vice versa. "That wouldn't solve anything."
"On the contrary, my lord, it would free your hands to kill her," Nabiki said, lapsing to the honorifics as she usually did when her brother needed to be calm. Going over the soothing tones, it was eerie the way the timbre of her voice matched the waves of the bay when she did. "Would you care to walk with me?"
"Only if you walk beside me." Formality bade women, except consorts, to walk slightly behind men. Nabiki agreed and they continued to walk along the beach with each other in companionable silence. After a while, Ranma remembered something from his earlier conversation with his wife. "Tell me, where did Kodachi get the idea of Martial Arts of Wife in Good Graces? Yuka tells me she's been busy with it the entire week."
"It was my fault." If they weren't so serious, she would have let out a laugh. As it was, she merely walked the beach along with him. "She was so insistent that I teach her to be a good wife, I thought she'd back down after she heard such a formidable title. I was mistaken."
"Is she telling the truth?" Ranma asked, thinking about Kodachi a bit, Nabiki nodded then she looked up at her brother.
"Ranma... are you sure you would not take my offer of seppuku? It is the only way," Nabiki pleaded with him, both of them knew the terms of the marriage. Happosai ingrained it too much in them for them to actually forget.
The old man knew one thing for sure, Ranma would not kill his own sister or permit her to die before her time, which was probably well and after Kodachi was dead.
"Nabiki, don't make an already hard decision even harder. You're my sister. I will not trade your life for mine," Ranma answered her earnestly. He may be a fool, but he was a sweet one. Then again, was she not fool as well? She had countless opportunities to kill Kodachi by her own hand, and she never took the blade to kill her. She remembered Kodachi's worst crime upon her and almost frowned. It still rankled her to this time that the low class samurai could steal her sword.
She took pains to steal it back. It was handed down from generation to generation of Saotome women. Awarded to her when she had become able enough to use the sword at ten, she could not lose it.
"I'm only watching out for you, my lord. It is my duty and my honor to commit seppuku in order to free yourself from something as Kodachi." Nabiki sighed as she flipped her pig-tail aside. Once she was cursed, Happosai had ordered her hair be redone just as Ranma's. He also instructed her to eat the dragon's hair, while a similar command was issued out to Ranma.
"I will not have you killed. It is my duty to see you live, too, and my honor that you are still in my house." Ranma gave her one of his smiles, and Nabiki wished that it was a genuine one. "Besides, I refuse to live and face Happosai alone."
Nabiki almost smiled at his weak attempt of a joke. Maybe she should be thankful for Kodachi for having her bouts of temper and for being crazy. If not for her, perhaps, she would lose her brother, she would be having a life serving the Ikkasei clan, her son would be doomed to that close minded-clan Happosai sold her off to.
She learned long ago that it was not wise to trust easily. For the two of them to manage Sagami, both of them must work together. They have far too much enemies and too few friends. "To endure Kodachi, we must not let our guard down, but to survive Happosai we must not be divided." Nabiki answered in reply.

Ukyo looked at the house for the last time, her goodbyes to the family done. Maybe her father would see her home now. He could not possibly turn her out for twenty-three years of trying. She did her best. He couldn't possibly blame her for that. It has been so long since she's seen home.
The restaurant could probably use her help. It was still part of Sagami, but far enough from Nerima and Rose Brier for Ranma to be seen there frequently. He probably visited it once every year. Just enough to see if the roads were paved, the roofs were in good condition and the samurai well trained. She clutched her heart dearly, she may have won battles for Ranma fighting beside him when they were younger, but they were virtually strangers now.
Maybe she could take up her aunt's offer for lodgings, at least until she could find some way to go to her father. Her home in the peasant's lane with all those restaurants was all that she's ever known. In seven years, Hanae had managed to imprint her memory in every crack.
Had it really been nearly seven years since Hanae had been a part of her life? Seven years of watching a daughter she coveted for her own. It was raining then, and he came drenched to her restaurant, it was a slow evening, the rain hampering anyone from wanting to eat out.
Ukyo looked up from wiping the small tables. She dismissed the help since she could manage alone when there were so few customers. The girl was grateful since it would be terrible to try to return home in the current weather. She thought she heard someone open the shoji, but there was no one standing in the small restaurant.
A cold hand clasped her shoulder eliciting her surprise. "Ucchan."
She breathed in to calm herself, only two people called her Ucchan, and only one of them has red hair when wet. She grimaced, the wedding still fresh in her mind. "Lord Ranma -- or should I say Lady Ranko, what brings you here?"
"Ucchan, please. I thought we talked this over already?" Ranma-chan sighed, hefting the small bundle in her arms, naming what angered her quite accurately. "It's been a whole year since I married Kodachi."
"My lord, what makes you think we haven't resolved the issue?" Ukyo answered curtly, moving on to the next table, frowning at the pools of water Ranma-chan left by dripping on the tatami. "I am merely trying to clean up."
"Because you don't call me Lord Ranma unless you're really mad at me," Ranma reasoned out. He almost reached out to touch her shoulder but Ukyo's glare stopped her from trying. "Ucchan..."
Ukyo looked at him sharply. "It does not befit my lord to refer to peasants in such a familiar manner. What is it Lord of the Sagami now, right? Total lord of the Sagami ever since you married Kodachi."
"Is that how you see this whole marriage, Ukyo?" He shivered lightly by the dampness of his clothes. Curiously, the white bundle in his arms was miraculously dry. "I didn't marry Kodachi for the Sagami."
"Oh? I know you've wanted to be Lord of Sagami ever since you were young. Happosai refused to give the Sagami because of the Kunos dominating the border by taking Rose Brier, and when you're twenty-two... just after you swore to me you wouldn't marry, you take off for some months and return married to lady Kodachi. Lady Kodachi who's dowry happens to be, my, my, Rose Brier. Do you expect me to believe in coincidence?" She didn't have much faith in that.
"I didn't marry her because of her dowry," Ranma murmured.
"Oh yes, I remember now, I know... you don't marry girls when they give you their dowry after all. You take it and run away. I wonder what makes Kodachi special." She moved to another table again, she knew it wasn't fair accusing him of something like the yattai, but life wasn't fair. "Was it her looks, or probably her roses, or maybe because she was good in bed. Which one is it?"
"I married her because Lord Happosai ordered it." There was a small cry, a small mewling which sounded like a wounded cat somewhere in the rain. Miraculously, Ranma didn't jump at the sound. "I admit I did care for her for sometime. Happosai made sure we knew each other before we were married. But all that's over right now. I don't really care much for the woman now."
"The only reason we're still living in the same house is that Lord Happosai desperately wants the Sagami in his side. It was to seal his deal with Lord Ieyasu. They're allies now because of it. Lord Happosai strongly believes that Lord Ieyasu will win the war. I think he's willing to give Edo to the man just to prove his faithfulness."
Everybody knew Lord Happosai prided the fishing village. It may look like that now, but he has large plans for the village, which will become center of the Kanto someday. "What's the reason you came here for Lord Ranma? I doubt it's to discuss your wedding arrangements."
"Actually, I came because of this." Ranma nudged the bundle towards Ukyo. "I wondered if... you know. You'd take care of her."
Ukyo looked curiously at the bundle, and when Ranma's words sunk in, she pulled away, not even seeing the girl. She gave him a resounding slap. "How dare you come in my restaurant and ask that of me? Do you wish to insult me so much as to make me foster mother of your daughter? I may be your former fiancée, but I am not your servant."
Ranma-chan permitted for the slap to connect, Ukyo knew that. Had she been unwilling to receive it, Ukyo would not have connected. She looked at Ukyo with imploring eyes tinged with sadness. "I'm not insulting you Ukyo. I'm sorry if you took it as that. And... she is not my wife's daughter. She is mine."
Ukyo looked at Ranma, shocked. She didn't know how to take that answer. This was Ranma, Ranma who has bound his very soul to bushido. Who saw everything in the Way of the Warrior... even matters regarding his wife. Would such a man disregard his wife?
Another thought occurred to her, could Ranma have borne the child? She shook the last thought away from her head, although she was angry with him, she knew him. He would never bed down with a man, even for an heir.
Maybe because he finally found the truth in Kodachi, he tried to find someone else. Maybe this girl was a mistake then. Then surely if Kodachi did not take Ranma's heart... she still has a chance.
"The offer still stands," Ranma said as he turned to leave.
Ukyo watched her go out, her body shielding the little girl, she was about to take to the roofs and Ukyo couldn't bear it any longer. She still loved the fool. "Wait!"
Ranma turned around.
"I'll be the girl's foster mother. If only because you were my friend once."
Ranma looked ridiculous in the rain, his body stooped to prevent his charge from getting wet. "I still think of you as one."
Ukyo didn't know how to respond to that. Up to now, Ukyo still didn't know what made her take up the offer. Maybe because instinctively, she knew Ranma told her the truth, maybe because she wanted to be closer to a part of Ranma... still... "What's her name?"
"Hanae. Saotome Hanae."

Nabiki massaged her temple as she watched Hanae and Sei loiter about when Ranma gave them an hour's break from his training while he attended to his other duties.
Although Nabiki was happy that Ukyo was finally deciding what she wanted to do with her life, the decision couldn't have come at a worse or more abrupt time.
Most of the ladies fit to be Hanae's foster mother already have charges and some of them weren't prepared to be one yet. Most foster mothers have nine months to prepare for the coming of their chargers. In the small town surrounding Rose Brier, Nabiki feared there were none at all.
When Kodachi passed by the garden, stopping momentarily to watch the children in their mild banter Nabiki watched her. Although she never associated herself with the children, recently Kodachi found almost any excuse to pass by and watch them when she could.
Nabiki drummed her fingers against the wooden porch that overlooked the garden, Kodachi did nothing but take walks, run around the house, read and try out some basic katas recently. Whatever amusements she had before disappeared from her system, leaving her with large gaps in her schedule and allowing her the pleasure of the children.
She heeded Nabiki's warning to stay away though, and has no courage to approach them or face Nabiki's own wrath.
The entire situation provided a unique opportunity for Nabiki to watch Kodachi closely. Hanae was old enough not to need a foster mother, but one was needed for propriety's sake and Kodachi needed something to do if only for the sake of Nabiki's sanity.
When Kodachi noticed that Nabiki's eyes were on her she gave a pleasant smile, bowed and continued on her way. When she was out of sight Nabiki motioned for Hanae to come closer.
"Hanae, Ukyo can't be your foster mother anymore," Nabiki said, trying to break the news gently. Hanae wasn't the type to cry over losing someone but Nabiki didn't think she would know what to do if Hanae decided to loose a few tears.
"She told me, 'Nty Nabiki. She'll visit me though," Hanae answered solemnly.
"Do you think you could get along with Kodachi?" Nabiki asked lightly, trying to gauge the girl's reaction. Although it was going to be an unconventional set up, the Saotomes never did follow norms. As for Hanae's safety, she was never going to be alone with Kodachi. If Kodachi proved to be too dangerous, Hanae could also handle herself in a fight and a replacement could be drawn up by then. But more important, Hanae could be a good set of eyes.
There was uncertainty in the girl's eyes and when she spoke, she spoke slowly, trying to work her thoughts into words, "I've always seen her as daddy or you have. And... she's shown she can be cruel lots 'a times. But she seems different now... I guess I can try now."
"You will be in close watch with the samurai," Nabiki assured her niece, knowing that she was probably setting her up in one of the worst trials of her childhood. "If that woman does something, anything to harm you, tell me at once."
"Yes, auntie," Hanae whispered in acquiescence.
Nabiki gathered the small girl in her arms wondering if she was doing the right thing.

Akane walked the boundaries of the dojo, happy that she chanced upon it when it was empty. Usually, Ranma or his sister dominated the structure relegating her to the house.
She wondered at her last argument with her so-called-husband. There wasn't much to tell, she was always quick to her temper, and Ranma was the person who always set it off.
Maybe it was because he still believed that she was Kodachi. From what Ifuku says, Kodachi and Ranma have the most unusual arguments which Kodachi got out of by using potions, all of which are carefully hidden in the house.
Sometimes she thought she couldn't take it anymore, it's been nearly half a year stay in Rose Brier. She hasn't gotten out, although admittedly she wasn't too social a person. She only has two best friends in school and tried desperately to keep her distance from boys. Rose Brier was isolated from the rest of the world for her to start now.
She didn't quite get why God chose her for this mission. Death was a commonplace occurrence in the world, and not all who die were actually thrown back into time. There has to be some ultimate reason for this.
She didn't quite believe that God just decided to play some infernal tic-tac-toe game and decide that she was to be sent back in time. She refused to believe it was on whim.
There were only two answers for why she was given someone else's life, either it wasn't her time, or... it wasn't Kodachi's time.
She took a small dagger from the piles of weapons she was examining in the dojo and moved towards the path that led to the beach. She stopped on the trail occasionally cutting a small flower and bringing it along, the white one with violet tips that reminded her of her husband for some reason.
'Was there some grander scheme between Kodachi and Ranma in the first place?' Akane thought taking in the sweet smell of the flower, 'Or am I deluding myself? Maybe I was just sent here to be punished.'
She probably would have been lost in her reverie, between the lulling of the waves, the sweet smelling flowers and the sand on her feet, had she not realized something.
Maybe it was the waves, or possibly her angels, but she distinctly heard the sound 'baby' whispered in the breeze. "My baby?" She asked aloud not really expecting an answer.
It was possible that the baby she lost was to be given back to her. It was possible by some quirk of fate this baby was actually needed for some reason, Dame Fortune played all the nasty games in the world, and humans were the least to expect it.
'Yes' Akane didn't know if she was dreaming or just having a conversation with herself, she probably just imagined the whole thing, but the distinct rasp of the waves made her unsure.
She crumpled her face. 'Oh great, I need to actually make a baby with my husband, and how does God propose to do that when my husband obviously hates my guts?' then she sighed, and turned back to the house to think. It was her fault, she asked the question, and she got a distinct answer.
Of course, it needn't be the answer she wanted.

Hanae found her father by the shoreline, drenched with sweat moving on through one of the more complex katas. Watching from a distance, Hanae didn't interrupt her father, he always did it perfectly and so easily that she always wanted to watch him. He made it seem as effortless as breathing.
He stopped when he sensed her watching him, picking up a towel by the table he wiped the small trickle of perspiration running down his brow. "Hanae, are you aware of the situation with Ukyo?"
Hanae nodded.
"I'll ask Nabiki to see to a suitable replacement for her. Until then, 'Ranko' will be enough." He smiled at her as he rumpled her hair, she smiled back.
"I always want to stay with you, daddy," Hanae whispered, hugging him fiercely.
He kneeled so that he could look at her at eye level. "That's why I'm going to look after you."
"Then don't send me out again. I will stay with you," she pleaded with him. "You need me, daddy."
A little girl won't make his life any easier, but not really all that harder. He promised her mother. "You're better off with a real foster mother, Hanae. I'm not very good at being one. I'll visit you, just like with Ukyo. What's the difference?"
"You can't stay out of Rose Brier, daddy," Hanae whispered, clutching him tightly. "Don't you see? With all the activity you've been telling 'Nty Nabiki to leave the Sagami without its leader..."
"You talked to her?" Ranma asked, wondering why the girl was suddenly fidgeting pulling her from the hug. "What did she say?"
"'Nty said Kodachi'll be my new foster mother."
His stern gaze was enough to make Hanae realize that her father was not especially enamored to the idea of Kodachi caring for her. Kodachi had never much to do with children in the past and surely less in the present. "Yes, Nabiki told me."
"Are you mad, daddy?" Hanae asked crestfallen, as if the idea of the foster mother was her fault.
Ranma noted the suspicious shine in her eyes and rumpled her hair again. He couldn't be mad at her for Nabiki's decision. "No Hanae, I'm not. Just surprised that's all. Kodachi is hardly motherly material."
"But she knows gymnastics, she can teach me that. Plus she can swim, something you still can't teach me because of your problem. The rest you can teach me." Hanae looked up at him. "Daddy, she won't do anything at all, just watch me, and I'm a good little girl."
"And a handful," He said wryly, thinking of the stunts that the girl did most of the day.
"She's a handful too," Hanae protested. Mostly, she didn't need a foster mother. She was more disciplined than anybody Ranma knew. She got her maternal ministrations from Ukyo, Nabiki and occasionally Nodoka. The foster mother would only there for formality. "Besides, I'll find out if she's telling the truth or not."
"Kodachi is not someone you mess around with," Ranma reminded her thinking back on the madness Kodachi could very well do. She is not a rational variable. "She's not even close to sane."
"I'll handle it." She wiped her tears, confident of herself now that she gained her father's approval. "So do you want me to learn gymnastics, or swimming first?"

Hikaru Gosunkugi was in a miserable state. He was badly bruised and was lacking the skills to properly minister to his wounds. He took up some of the cloth to bandaged his gashes. It had been few weeks since they were inflicted and they still haven't healed. Admittedly, he was a slow healer, but Ranma Saotome knew how to severely pound a guy.
It was already just plain luck for him that he was not mutilated. Had Kodachi not interfered, he would have lost his head. Had Happosai not ordered Ranma to stay, he would have been cut into pieces.
Pure Luck.
The gods must be smiling at him.
And Kodachi. 'What was the idea with her? It must be her husband, doing this to her. He was probably forcing his sweet Kodachi to bed again, that brute Saotome was mad. He didn't let Kodachi do anything that a woman should.'
Her husband was watching, that's why she didn't want to kiss. He stroked one of the multiple scars that he received from the encounter with Ranma. Saotome would pay dearly for his scars. Each and every one of them.
The door of the shoji opened. "Who's there?" he croaked, his mind going over the people who knew he was there. The eta village was not a place where even peasants tread and it was strongly avoided. He scratched his leg. His kimono was probably lice infested already.
But it was the only place he could stay that was surely safe from Ranma Saotome's clutches. Saotome was a samurai, and samurai tended to be loyal to fellow samurai, especially against a peasant.
He was not answered.
He stood to check who was there, when a hand stopped him from rising. "Oh, Hikaru, who did this to you?"
He turned around to face... someone who he didn't quite know.

"You want me to teach you what?" Akane exclaimed, frantic at the small child, trying to verify if she heard correctly. "I know little gymnastics and even less of swimming!"
Hanae pouted twirling the makeshift ribbon in her hand. The crude ribbon was tied to a stick and from the looks of it, came from one of her hair decorations. "Come on Kodachi, you were good at it, daddy said you almost won against him."
That match had been some years before the marriage, and Kodachi had not been close to winning. Later, Ranma would learn that Kodachi usually cheated at these matches, and that she cheated a lot. She only withheld those tactics with 'Ranko' because she learned - or probably misunderstood her connection with Ranma.
"But... I forgot!" Akane said, anxiously thinking of a reason to deny the request. Was swimming like biking that once you learn you never forget? "I can't swim!"
"You can't forget a skill!" Hanae argued, determined to get what she wanted. "You can turn a bit slower, possibly lesser endurance, but a skill is never forgotten."
Akane sighed, just her luck that it was like biking. "I have amnesia! And what will we use for bathing suites?" She doubted if Speedo was actually around in the 1600's. Hell she doubted if any swimsuit was around in the 1600's.
"Bathing suites?" Hanae repeated, as she continued to rummage around Kodachi's things in the dojo. "Why wear something when bathing? It doesn't make sense."
"Well, we need that!" Akane argued, taking an equally large box and rustling around, not knowing what Hanae was looking for, but content just to do something. "What do you wear for swimming?"
"Nothing!" Hanae frowned as she thought about it then stopped searching in the box. She regarded Akane thoughtfully. "Should I wear something?"
"Yes!" For someone whose father didn't want to see her in shorts, she certainly seemed to have less feminine dignity than her.
"Do you wear something when you bathe?"
"No."
"And isn't swimming sort of like bathing?"
"Well ... yes."
"So what's the problem?" Hanae asked, quizzically scratching her head a bit. She couldn't understand why they needed to wear something that would hamper training.
"Because I want to be decent!"
To that Hanae desperately tried not to laugh out loud. "Were you born with clothes?"
"No."
"So, when you were born, you were not decent?"
"No! I was a baby and --"
"Certainly if God thought nudity was indecent then he would not have made us naked when we were born. Don't you hear the gospel when the priest says Mass, Kodachi-san? I believe it is in Genesis wherein Eve ate from the apple and realized their state of undress which made Him cast them off of paradise."
"I'm a Shinto! I'm not supposed to know these things," Akane whimpered at the onslaught of Hanae's lecture.
"My father was converted into Christianity from Shintoism 'cuz you were Christian, are you telling me you've lied all these years?" Hanae asked, accusation in her voice.
"No! What does this have to do with swimming anyway?" Akane asked, flustered at the things Hanae were trying to get out of her, she started to wonder if accepting her offer was a big mistake. "All I ask is why does swimsuits make you seem all angry?"
"'Coz the concept is stupid!" Hanae pointed out, frustrated. "First of all if you are trying to get away from someone, a swimsuit will pull the body in an opposite direction, second, the suit you are insisting on will get to the eyes making you virtually blind, third cloth absorbs water, it will become very difficult to swim at a fast rate because it's very heavy."
"We just need to cover up while we're learning!" Akane sighed, lugging the big box out of the way to talk to Hanae without it being in the middle. "I don't care what you do or don't wear afterwards."
"But it will drag us down!" Hanae argued. "There is no cloth that doesn't absorb water. If it drags me down I won't be able to breathe properly."
"Have I actually consented on teaching you how to swim, young lady?" Akane asked, putting her hands on her hips and trying to look stern.
"Well, no." Hanae gave her a cheery smile. "But you will. It's unfair to keep all your knowledge to yourself. That's being selfish."
Akane shook her head, she wondered if there was such a thing as insurance in 1600's. Probably not. She hoped that Ranma wouldn't go out for her blood when she accidentally drowns Hanae or something to that effect.
Holding her hand to her head, Akane could feel a migraine coming. And this was about her swimming only. Who knows what the gymnastics conversation would turn out?
Why couldn't she have just asked to teach her martial arts?

Nabiki watched with detachment as her two students finished their game of shogi. They still didn't come to a point where they could beat her, but their constant practice would do them good.
"Sensei, why do we need to learn shogi?" Sei asked, as he cleaned up the board to go to the cases.
"Shogi is a game of tactics, combining the ability to follow instructions, your strategy and your problem solving," Nabiki's son was younger than Hanae a few months, and was starting to show his curious streak. Nabiki always tried to indulge them in their questions. "And to win a war, the leader must have a good head for tactics."
"Will we fight in the war?" Hanae asked as she covered the board with a piece of cloth then kept it in the alcove. "When did you start to fight?"
"You will, someday." Nabiki smiled as she took out another board game essential for their strategy. "We were about ten when we started on little battles."
"What is that?" The boy asked curiously at the new wooden set Nabiki turned out from the alcove.
Nabiki just smiled as she readied the pieces, it was one of the few remembrances she has of their lessons from China. This particular piece was from before the matriarch took over their lessons. "This, Sei, Hanae, is called Xiang-chi."
"Xiang-chi(6)?" Both of them repeated, as they saw the fine lines drawn across the board and the pieces Nabiki set carefully.
"Yes, it's the Chinese form of shogi and similar to it." Nabiki lectured as she wiped the last piece and placed it on the lines, "Well? I would be disappointed if you didn't notice at least one dissimilarity now."
"The game is played at the int'rsections!" Hanae pointed out gleefully, clapping her hands.
Smiling at her student, Nabiki nodded. "Yes, unlike shogi, which plays inside the squares, this one is at the intersections. Some pieces also may not cross the central river."
She pointed at the blue dividing line of the board, "After you learn Xiang-chi, the next game would probably be go, but I want you to learn this game well." Nabiki said putting the board between the two children. "It was not taught to us in China for nothing. I will leave you to set up the black side by yourselves and look at the board for a while, so you can try to see what are the similarities of this wooden game," She knocked on the board, then looked at the children. "And real life."
She stood up only to see Kodachi watching them from the shoji, she sighed imperceptibly. The woman has too much time in her hands. She led the woman to the garden before asking, "Yes, Kodachi, is there something I can help you with?"
"Uh... Nabiki, I didn't know who I'd turn to for this, but, ahh, I can't swim!" Kodachi looked like a three-year old caught handling the sword that he was ordered not to touch. "I barely know how to tread!"
Raising a perfect eyebrow up, Nabiki sighed, the woman simply wanted to get all of her troubles out of her mind, everyone knew perfectly well Kodachi was a capable swimmer. Swimming was an order Lord Happosai sent to all his samurai, even hatamoto(7).
"Kodachi, you are not passing off your work to me," Nabiki said coldly shifting her fan out in the open, "I have too much work to do."
"I wasn't implying that you take my work," Kodachi persisted. "I was just informing you that I can't swim."
Kodachi wasn't much of a useful woman, granted she was an excellently trained housewife -- when she managed to bring her skills out in the open, but the only plausible thing she could pass off to her wards at the moment were swimming and gymnastics. "Then what do you propose to teach your charge?"
"Martial Arts." Kodachi responded quickly. "It's the only thing I know how to do."
"You can't. They already have several teachers in the area. They are beginning to learn mid-level battoujutsu and some of the ninjitsu techniques Sasuke is willing to part. They are also beginning on their Kyudo(8) training." Nabiki turned to the dojo. "Teaching martial arts is reserved for the head of the Saotome family. I am fairly sure my students are about your level of fighting skill, maybe a bit below yours but you are not advanced enough to teach them."
This seemed to have enraged Kodachi, "Look here, Nabiki-san, I have been sensei to the Tendo school of martial arts since I graduated from collage. How dare you accuse me of--"
"And excuse me, Kodachi-san," mimicking the exact words Kodachi threw at her, "You haven't even touched, Chiu(9), much less Dai Gakho(10). In this house, the children are privately tutored while the peasants attend such schools. You have refused education, you cannot teach anything other than wifely ministrations that you were trained by your mother, which you have seemingly forgotten."
"How dare you belittle my skill!" Kodachi raved, enraged at the way Nabiki was treating her. "You haven't even seen me fight."
"I don't need to." Nabiki answered as she gave Kodachi an appraising look from head to foot. "Your feet are rough from running without the geta," she circled her a bit then pointed out, "You have lost your flexibility by stagnancy, although it seems you have been trying... unsuccessfully, I might add, to some strength training."
She pointed to Kodachi's hand. "Calluses in the knuckles of your fist suggest you have been breaking something recently... perhaps wood, which has much to say about your strength... which is to say, not much."
After that, Nabiki crossed her arms to watch Kodachi's expression. "Your endurance only long enough to run by the boundary of Rose Brier, you're too lazy enough to try of the periphery of Nerima. You walk in a manner that suggests you are too slow for an encounter with my students, no matter how much stronger you are." She didn't even bother to delve into the topic of how Kodachi neglected to train in both defense, from the non-reaction she got when she walked around her.
She shrugged then gave a severely cut diagnostic. "Your size can be an advantage to you, but not too much, as my students can dodge quite speedily. I predict that my students will either try to wear you out or simply get in as much hits as they can while avoiding yours."
"Is that a challenge?"
"Only if you take it to be so." Nabiki said then moved towards the children again. "I'm not much of a fighter, Kodachi-san, merely telling you the odds."
"Then how about a fight, to test my abilities?" Kodachi offered, still bothered by the fact that Nabiki took her skill so lightly, she was the best in Furinkan and surely still good enough now.
Nabiki shrugged then called out her two students, both of them hurried out of the room when she summoned, leaving behind the Xiang-chi immediately. They bowed to her lightly and Nabiki nodded.
"Hanae, Sei, Kodachi wants us to test her fighting ability." Nabiki said lightly regarding Kodachi, "She thinks I have underestimated her. What do you think?"
"It depends on what you told her, Nabiki-sensei," When they were being formally taught, they always referred to their teachers as sensei regardless of their relationship. "But I am sure that your assessment of her ability isn't that far off the mark."
Hanae nodded in agreement. "Sensei, your appraisal of anything has been what my father prized the most in your battles. You would not tell Kodachi something that you are not particularly sure of."
"Come now children, Kodachi," Nabiki said as she turned to walk towards the dojo. She slid the shoji open, revealing the room in all its grandiose. "A challenge of sorts has been issued and accepted."
"Come now, Nabiki," Kodachi said as she followed. "Surely the children should be left out of this."
"The children are samurai." Nabiki said as if their status would explain their presence. "They should learn to participate in battle."
"But... they're so young!" Akane protested as they opened the side shoji which revealed space where spectators usually watched, they pulled two cushions then turned expectantly at Nabiki.
"Who do you propose then be our judge, Kodachi?" Nabiki asked as she bowed towards the takonama the children not short behind, then turned towards the still stunned Kodachi. "I am sure that the children would want to watch this, just as any of the samurai."
The children looked at them and sat down in their respective places.
Kodachi looked even more stunned, "Oh... they're judging. From the way you talked before, I thought they would be fighting me."
"Yes, but they might not be able to give an accurate summation of your abilities." Nabiki shrugged then turned to her, "I am merely obliging to your wishes."
Kodachi took on a ready stance, which Nabiki recognized as one of the most basic of Anything Goes, a meld from two other styles Genma taught them. Nabiki looked at the other woman suspiciously. Kodachi shouldn't know anything from Indiscriminate Grappling, even a basic stance.
A glance at the children told them that they recognized the stance as well. Something was up, Nabiki didn't move from her position. 'No one outside the Saotome Clan should know any move from the Hidden Arts. No one.' Even Happosai did not speak of Indiscriminate Grappling freely.
She could name a select few outside the clan who knew that the style was practiced. The Amazon matriarch and her two heirs, possibly China's emperor, Gosunkugi from Ranma's fight back at the party and a few rivals from when they were younger, back in the fiancée wars. Some were even hazy. They didn't go about proclaiming they actually used it. Those who see them fight, attribute their skills to a lot of branches of martial arts, few suspected it was actually a compiled version of every art they have gotten their hands in.
Yet this woman, who rarely practiced outside martial arts rhythmic gymnastics moved like a practitioner of the Musabetsu Kakuto Ryu. She was a clumsy and slow practitioner, but a practitioner nonetheless. This did not bode well.
"Well, are you going to fight me or not?" Kodachi asked irritated her right hand balled into a fist in front of her.
"I am." Nabiki smiled complacently, sure that Kodachi would make the first move against her, Kodachi was more impatient than her brother, and her brother always initiated their sparring matches. "I'm merely waiting for your attack."
"But you're not ready," Kodachi protested as she noted Nabiki's relaxed position.
"Just because I take a different stance than you, my dear Kodachi," Nabiki reasoned out as she placed her hands on the back of her neck, the one stance that her brother used to goad most of his enemies before continuing, "Doesn't mean I'm not ready for you."
Kodachi's hit first came an inch clear of her face, 'She's pulling her blows and intentionally missing me?' Nabiki almost laughed. "You should learn to treat me with more respect than that Kodachi. I don't fight with someone who is not giving their all."
"Who says I'm not?" Kodachi asked as she turned to assault Nabiki with a barrage of punches. To anyone who went through training using 'roasted chestnuts on an open fire', Kodachi's punches were less than mediocre.
"Because it's either your aim is quite bad for your punches to miss this wide," Nabiki pointed out as she jumped over a 90-degree kick that Kodachi lashed out, using Kodachi's leg as her support to jump through before saying, "Or you're missing me intentionally."
After that there was a grim determination in Kodachi's eyes that settled in, confirming Nabiki's suspicion that she was holding back. Unluckily for Kodachi, Nabiki didn't have the same reservation as her brother for hitting females, which probably stemmed from the fact that Nabiki was female herself.
Fortunately for Kodachi, Nabiki was merely testing her abilities today and was prolonging the fight. Nabiki knew Kodachi was exerting too much energy when she struck out making it very easy for her to just push the girl before she could rebound.
And when the woman did punch, she left too much of her defense open that any counter attack that dealt in the lines of a foot sweep, an attack towards her midsection or her brother's habit of kicking the opponent's head back when he jumped, would automatically disable her.
"You're the one who's not taking me seriously with all this dodging," Kodachi quipped as she heaved a quick punch to the side, followed by a kick, both which Nabiki dodged gracefully.
"I'm testing you're abilities, remember?" Nabiki said in a voice so sweet that it was obvious it was meant to be insulting.
A few minutes in the dodge game and Kodachi was already breathing heavily. Nabiki was quite surprised she managed to last this long. Too many gaps in her defense indicated that on Kodachi's first blow Nabiki could've hit her cold instantly.
Nabiki turned to block another barrage of punches and almost gasped when she recognized the following moves, some of the more advanced attacks in Musabetsu Kakuto Ryu. If Kodachi could learn from merely watching the elite few fights they did displaying the moves, then she must be quite a fast learner, possibly just as fast as Ranma. Unless someone was actually teaching her these moves, and she strongly doubted anyone would do that, for she wasn't Saotome.
It was then that Nabiki decided to guard her moves carefully, not using any combination moves from Indiscriminate Grappling, focusing more on the style Rian favored and lapsing sometimes to the defensive forms that the amazons taught her.
Most of the moves she employed could be the basics of any martial art school. Nabiki was learning more about Kodachi's fighting style, while she was just giving off some commonly known moves.
Deciding to end the fight then, Nabiki dodged down from one of Kodachi's last blows and swept her feet under her, sending the girl tumbling. She brought her elbow down to Kodachi's neck, but didn't connect it.
"Now you see, Kodachi, a lesson from someone, who cannot even land a blow on someone like me, who is not so good with the art as my brother in the first place, is not any lesson at all," Nabiki lectured, pinning Kodachi to the ground. Nabiki didn't mention that she never truly lost to anybody other than her brother.
Nabiki stood up then dusted her kimono, holding her hand out to Kodachi, who accepted. Motioning for Hanae, Nabiki instructed her to assist the woman to her room. "Sei, Hanae, after you fix the game board that you left, you are dismissed and think upon one of the many flaws of Kodachi's fighting style."
Kodachi glared at her, Nabiki merely smiled. "Kodachi, how are they going to learn how to fight if they do not see what is wrong in the first place?"
"Do you have to tell it to them in front of my face?" Kodachi spit out, leaning mostly on Hanae.
"If you cannot take criticism, Kodachi, you must learn how to be correct. Take for example, Sei, what do you think is the weakest point in Kodachi's form, and why was my reaction time to her punches faster after the first few seconds?"
The boy paused for a minute trying to re-create what happened in his head, then answered, "She falls into the same pattern after a few tries."
"That's true, and a pattern yields to predictability," Nabiki informed her then looked at Hanae. "And Hanae, did you notice anything out of the ordinary of the punches, and kicks Kodachi threw?"
Again, there was a pause as the girl thought for a minute. "She threw too much power behind them, that counter attacks or blocking was only possible if you were extremely nimble."
Nodding, she patted her two students head. "Correct." She turned to Kodachi and said, "And since your body isn't really powerful, the gravity of the punches you give tends to push you forward more than what's actually necessary. Those flaws are only from your punches. I think this little lesson is over now, think more about your actions before you decide to challenge someone whose skills you barely know."

Endnotes:
(1) Dashi: Soup stock. Okay, even if the translation is there, so there's no confusion I'm repeating it down here.
(besides dashi and deshi sound too much alike.)
(2) kombu: kelp
(3) katsuobushi: bonito flakes
(4) sashimi: raw *insert food here*, you don't cook this at all, you just have to slice fresh tuna fish to eat, fresh sea urchin, raw salmon, raw octopus.... :) With some soy sauce and lemon juice it's a good meal. (If you're not that hungry)
(5) tabi: socks with the split in the middle for the shoes. You know what I'm talking about right?
(6) What is Xiang-chi? If you've been listening to Nabiki :) you'd know this is Chinese chess. Sometimes called Hsiang-chi or Xiangqi. One of the little war games :) I got my info on this on 'The Basics of Chinese Chess' :)
(7) What are hatamoto? A hatamoto is a special retainer of a daimyo, who had the right of access to his lord and could wear his sword in the presence of his lord.
(8) Kyudo: Way of the bow or Japanese Archery
(9) Chiu Gakho: Middle School (Probably equivalent to the present day Middle School)
(10) Dai Gakho: Great School (Probably equivalent to present day High School or College)

Author's Notes:
I reread this for the first time in... probably four years and was shocked. I cannot believe my writing was this bad. Ugh. I extremely have to revise all of the chapters now. And I mean now. I don't even want to know what the state of Chapter 9 is in. I deleted 17 'after all's and cut down from 17,330 to 16,201 words later to 14, 652. I realize I wrote in a lot of unnecessary things.
This is a revised edition (2005) of the 1998 edition so it's probably foggy in your memories. If you have the old version stored, burn it, throw it away. Just... well stick with this one. It's way better.
In retrospect, I think this chapter was bad because I was suffering from mental block at the time. (As said from my previous author's notes.) I've deleted two scenes one between Nabiki and Hanae, the other with Akane and Hanae.
Expect it to get revised in the next weeks for grammar. Btw, my webpage is still behind fanfiction dot net stuff but it has fanart. I'll be revising the webpage this sembreak so just wait for it. Chapter 7 isn't even uploaded properly there yet. But from what I understand, I just finished editing chapter 7 last april.
iCe


webpage: iCe dot esmartdesign dot com
email siuane at gmail dot com
LJ iCe of dreams with the spaces as underscore

We sometimes tend to forget that criticism is better than praise, when we criticize we say that the other person has the ability to accept our words and take it as a challenge to become better because of this.
my teacher (hehehe)


I write when the spirit moves, and I make sure it moves every day.
unknown