Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ School Days ❯ The Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SCHOOL DAYS
A Ranma fan fiction
By Mitsukai Ashi
 
Summary: Ranma Saotome is a teenaged martial artist attending his third and final year at Furinkan High School. Tall, strong and totally hot, all the girls are in love with him…and he milks it for all it's worth.
Enter Akane Tendo, the new transfer student. Ranma sets his sights on her, but for the first time in his life, he's rejected! Will he ever win over this stubborn girl?
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Ranma, Rumiko Takahashi does and all credits for the existence of Ranma shall go to her. I just write stories about her characters. ^_^
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER ONE
 
The Meeting
 
 
 
Man, I didn't think Furinkan would be this big, thought Akane Tendo anxiously as she stepped onto the grounds of her new high school. So much bigger than Sakura Damon was…
“Oh my God! Akane, is that you?”
Now there's a familiar voice, she thought with relief as she turned to face the speaker behind her.
“Hey, Ukyo,” she said with a small smile.
“It is you!!!” the brunette squealed happily, throwing her arms around her best friend. Akane smiled over her friend's shoulder at her other best friend, a Chinese Amazonian girl named Shampoo, who stood waiting impatiently to hug Akane.
“What are you doing here?” asked Ukyo, releasing her and allowing Shampoo her turn. “You're wearing our uniform. Are you transferring here?”
Akane nodded as Shampoo released her. “Sakura Damon was bugging me…too many punks and thugs for my comfort. And my end of year exams last year showed that I was smart enough to transfer wherever I wanted, and since this place is closer to home, nicer and more elite, I decided to come here. And besides,” she added with a grin, “you guys are here, so that was an added bonus!”
Ukyo smiled happily. “I'm so glad you did! Now we can attend high school together. Trust me, you're going to love Furinkan!”
“Not for a while,” noted Akane as more students passed by, murmuring to themselves. “I have to get used to this place first. You guys know how I am.”
“People at Furinkan no allow for shyness,” promised Shampoo in broken Japanese. “What class you in?”
“1-F,” she replied, glancing down at the note her father had left for her on the breakfast table. “Miss Hinako is the homeroom teacher.”
“That means you're in our class!” said Ukyo happily. “Great! We'll show you there!”
“Works for me,” Akane replied. “I'm definitely gonna need some help finding my way around here.”
“Ukyo and I help,” said Shampoo.
“Thanks, guys.”
“Now c'mon, we don't want to be late,” said Ukyo. She grabbed Akane's wrist and led her toward the school, Shampoo at their heals. Akane smiled as she was led into Furinkan High School. She may have been shy, but at least she had her two best friends to help her. Maybe she could overcome her problems here.
This year, she swore to herself, I will get over my shyness!
 
* * *
 
“Man, I hate school!” groaned Ranma Saotome. He leaned his chair back until it was balanced onto its two back legs and folded his hands behind his head. “You can't get into fights without getting into trouble with that retard of a principal!”
“You should dye your hair blonde, Ranma,” said Ryoga Hibiki, his best friend. He had taken off his yellow and brown checked bandana and was swinging it around boredly. “You sound like a total delinquent.”
“What do I care?” he answered. “I'd be much happier attending a martial arts tournament than waste my time here. It's not as if I even care about grades.”
“I'd believe it,” said Ryoga, “if it weren't for the fact that you're smart as hell. You pass all your tests so easily.”
“Depends what you mean by smart,” replied Ranma. “I have talent at fights and women, but trust me, I forget everything I learn after I've taken a test for it. Useless information. I'm going to be running my family's dojo, so there's really no point.”
“Yeah, and I probably won't be able to hold down a job,” added Ryoga. “With my sense of direction, I'd get lost every single day.”
“And Mousse will probably go back to China, so why's he even here in the first place?” Ranma threw in. “Speaking of which, where is the blind asshole? Class starts in ten minutes.”
“Probably following Shampoo again,” said Ryoga. “He'll be here soon.”
The classroom door opened just then, and Ranma looked around as three girls entered the class. One was Ukyo, another was Mousse's love interest and fellow Amazonian, Shampoo…but he didn't recognize the third girl that followed them inside. His eyes followed her as the three of them crossed the classroom. Just before they sat down, she suddenly looked up and over at him, and his bright blue gaze collided with her brown one. She flushed and looked away quickly, but he couldn't tear his eyes from her.
“Is that a new transfer student?” he asked. “She's cute.”
“She's also apparently friends with Shampoo,” came a male voice from behind him, and Ranma looked over as his friend Mousse took his seat beside him. “I think her name is Akane Tendo. She and Ukyo are Shampoo's best friends, but Akane went to a different school the last two years.”
“Mousse, if you know that much about her already, you've really got to get a new hobby,” said Ryoga, tying his bandana back around his head. “It's really starting to get scary.”
“Not to mention pointless,” said Ranma. “Mousse, the three of us have our pick of girls drooling at our feet! Why chase after the one girl that rejects you without a second thought?”
“You have obviously never been in love, Ranma,” said Mousse indignantly.
Love?! Mousse, if you `love' Shampoo anymore, you're going to get arrested.”
“He's got a point, Mousse.”
“Oh, just shut up, both of you.”
 
* * *
 
“Miss Tendo?”
Akane looked up from where she and her friends were talking to find a young girl standing beside her.
“Um…yes?” she said questioningly.
“My name is Ms. Hinako,” she said. “I'm the teacher in this class.”
This kid…is the teacher?! she thought incredulously. She looks no older than ten!!!
“So, if you will come up with me…”
“Oh! Um…of course,” she said, standing hastily and following her mini-teacher to the front of the room. The bell rang as they reached the front of the room, and the room was filled with the sound of clattering chairs and scraping desks as the students rushed to their assigned seats. Akane scanned the room quickly to see where her seat would likely be and spotted an empty desk by the window…and next to that boy who had been watching her when she had entered the room.
“Everyone,” said Ms. Hinako loudly, and the class quieted down and looked up to the front of the class. Akane's shyness got the better of her, and she looked down at the ground.
“This is Akane Tendo. She's just transferred in from Sakura Damon High School and will be joining our class,” Ms. Hinako continued. “Miss Tendo, would you mind telling us a little about yourself?”
“Um…yes,” she murmured. “M-my name is Akane Tendo…it's n-nice to meet you all…” Damn my shyness! she cursed to herself. “I enjoy anything athletic, especially martial arts…p-please treat me kindly…”
“Thank you, Miss Tendo,” said Ms. Hinako. “As you have probably noted, there is an empty desk right over there by Mr. Saotome…Saotome, would you please raise your hand…?”
The pigtailed boy raised his hand boredly, and Akane collected her things and hurried to her desk, her face boiling. She practically collapsed into her seat and buried her face in her arms, damning herself over and over for letting her shyness overcome her again.
Everyone probably thinks I'm a freak…! she thought. Damn, damn, damn!!!
“Um…Akane, are you okay?”
Akane lifted her head slightly and peered up through her purple bangs to see the girl in front of her twisted around in her seat, looking at her with concern.
“Y-yes, I'm fine…” she said.
“You're pretty shy, huh?” asked the ponytailed girl sitting behind her.
“Was it that obvious?” she asked sarcastically.
“Don't worry about it,” said the girl in front of her. “We're all pretty okay with each other. Our class gets along great. I'm Yuka, by the way.”
“And I'm Sayuri,” said the girl behind her. “Welcome to Furinkan High!”
“Oh, um…thanks,” replied Akane shyly.
Beside her, Ranma watched her out of the corner of his eye. Cute and into martial arts…she won't be hard to win over, he thought excitedly. Maybe this year won't suck so bad after all!
“Don't, Ranma.”
Ranma looked in front of him in annoyance. “Don't what, Daisuke?” he asked.
“We've seen that look before, Ranma,” said Hiroshi from behind him. “She's new. Back off.”
“As if I'm going to listen to you,” snorted Ranma.
“Hey, we had to try,” shrugged Daisuke, turning back around.
Ukyo, Shampoo, Ryoga, and Mousse all watched Ranma from their seats, the girls worriedly, the boys exasperatedly, all eagerly awaiting their lunch period.
 
* * *
 
Four hours later, the bell rang for lunch, and the class was full of the clamor of the students' movements. Shampoo and Ukyo stood and crossed the room to sit with Yuka, Sayuri and Akane, while Ranma, Daisuke, Hiroshi and Ryoga crossed the room to sit in their corner with Mousse for lunch.
“How Akane doing so far?” asked Shampoo as they settled into their seats.
“Pretty good,” replied Akane, though rather distantly.
“Akane? You okay?” asked Ukyo worriedly.
“Yeah…uh, guys? That boy over there…with the pigtail…?”
“Oh, man, so you did notice him,” sighed Sayuri.
“Is that bad?”
“Ranma's been watching you since you set foot in the classroom,” said Ukyo. “I saw him watching you.”
“And we noticed him watching you during class,” added Yuka. “That doesn't bode well.”
“What do you mean?”
“Ranma is a total playboy,” said Ukyo. “He's dated more in the last year than I have throughout my entire life.”
“That's not saying much, Ukyo,” said Yuka. “We are Japanese.”
“Okay, he's dated more in the last year than an American teenage boy would,” said Ukyo. “That better?”
“How much dating?”
“12 girlfriends in last year,” said Shampoo.
“Including the four of us,” added Sayuri.
“All four of you dated him?!” asked Akane.
“And were dumped by him,” said Ukyo. “Ranma falls in `love' quickly, then grows bored with the girl and dumps her within a month.”
“And he's not dead yet?”
“Hey, not for lack of trying,” said Ukyo. “I tried.”
“Shampoo too,” said Shampoo. “But Ranma is master of martial art. Shampoo was defeated.”
“Aren't you supposed to marry a man who defeats you?” asked Akane. “Amazonian law?”
“Great-grandmother no know about it,” said Shampoo. “She will not find out. Shampoo refuse to marry Ranma Saotome!”
“Trust me, Akane, if he's watching you, that means he's planning on asking you out, and I beg you, don't fall for it,” said Ukyo. “Ranma's a great guy, for the most part, but he's only going to end up breaking your heart.”
“Don't worry, guys,” said Akane. “I won't. If he tries to ask me out, I'll just knock him out.”
“She will, too,” Ukyo told Yuka and Sayuri. “She's like that.”
They all laughed and launched into another discussion, but across the room, the boys had just entered it.
“Ranma, I can't believe you're already looking for a new girlfriend,” said Daisuke. “How the hell do you have time for all of it?”
“Hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do,” said Ranma. “And guys gotta date.”
“Dating is one thing, man,” said Daisuke. “But you're just a playboy. You've broken so many hearts, there aren't even really any more girls left for us. I mean, they're all too upset to date anyone anymore. What the hell do you say to them, anyway?”
He shrugged. “I'm bored and don't want to date them anymore?”
“That's cold, dude,” said Hiroshi. “You should take your time, you know, find a girl that really means something to you. The relationships are a lot more worthwhile that way.”
“That's why I'm dating all these girls,” he said. “I'm trying to find that girl. I know she's out there, I just have to find her.”
“What's the rush?” asked Daisuke. “You got time.”
Ryoga looked up. “Ranma hasn't told you about his family tradition, has he?” he asked.
“Ryoga, shut up,” said Ranma defensively.
“Family tradition?” asked Hiroshi.
“Ranma has to get married right after we graduate high school,” said Mousse. “To carry on his family's dojo.”
“Damn it, Mousse!” snarled Ranma. “They didn't need to know that!”
“Why not, Ranma?” asked Hiroshi. “We're your friends.”
“That really does explain things,” said Daisuke. “You've only got this year left…”
“Yeah, and I have that much time to find a fiancée,” he said gruffly. “So I have to work fast.”
“Still, you should take your time,” said Mousse. “If you're going to get married at the end of the year, you need to find the one girl you want to be with for the rest of your life.”
“I know that,” said Ranma. “I'm the one getting married, remember? I've already thought this through. But I haven't told anyone else, so you guys have to shut up about this!”
“Don't worry, Ranma, we won't,” promised Daisuke. Hiroshi nodded in agreement. Ranma sighed. He could just feel the pressure building on him again. He was going to have to ask out this Akane Tendo fast, and see if she was or wasn't his potential mate. Because if she wasn't…well, he'd have wasted precious time on her.
“Anyway, good luck, Ranma!” said Ryoga.
“Oh, shut the hell up.”
 
 
 
<><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><>
Author's Note:
 
Hello, and thank you for reading the start of “School Days”! I hope that you stay with me throughout this fan fiction.
 
Okay, just some notes to help you out…
 
1. The day I began typing this, I had begun rereading the Midori Days manga, and so made it so that Akane transferred over from the high school Seiji Sawamura goes to. There's no significance and none of the characters from there will be showing up, but I just wanted you all to know that before someone pointed it out to me. I give the credits of it to its author, too.
 
2. Japanese trivia:
a. “ “You should dye your hair blonde, Ranma,” said Ryoga Hibiki, his best friend. He had taken off his yellow and brown checked bandana and was swinging it around boredly. “You sound like a total delinquent.” ”
 
Japanese delinquent students tend to dye their hair brighter colors…blonde, pink, blue, etc.
 
b. “ “Ranma is a total playboy,” said Ukyo. “He's dated more in the last year than I have throughout my entire life.”
“That's not saying much, Ukyo,” said Yuka. “We are Japanese.”
“Okay, he's dated more in the last year than an American teenage boy would,” said Ukyo. “That better?” ”
 
Japanese are not publicly affectionate; mangas tend to lead us from that fact, but I don't like to deter from true culture much. Then again, this is Ranma, but still…also, Americans are so much more public about affection that it's famous in Japan.
 
Many of you may have already known these, but I thought I'd throw it in for those who may not. And this'll help you all…the seating chart I created for their class.
 
X= UNIMPORTANT CHARACTER
ROWS ARE BOY-GIRL-BOY-GIRL
 
 
W Teacher's Desk
I Yuka Daisuke Ukyo x x x
N Akane Ranma x Ryoga x x
D Sayuri Hiroshi x x Shampoo x
O x x Akari x x Mousse
W x Gosinkugi x x x x
 
 
I hope this helps you! Thanks for reading!
Mitsukai Ashi