Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances ❯ Beginning Again ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
--------------------------------
2 - Beginning Again.
--------------------------------

Akane awoke. She felt different, her mind clouded. A hot bath was what she felt she needed right now. She set Ranma's journal on her desk as she wearily got out of bed. She then gathered her stuff and made her way downstairs. She suspected Kasumi would have a bath ready. While Kasumi didn't seem to notice things, she usually had things like that done for you before you knew you wanted it.
Akane made her way to the bathing room, but the bath wasn't ready. Akane shrugged it off, Kasumi had been having a hard time reading her since Ranma... left. She decided to wash her face and prepare a bath for herself. She approached the sink and looked at the mirror.
Akane nearly screamed at what she saw. Her hair was long. Her face younger. She ran her hand through her hair and touched her face. She the remembered her encounter with the 'goddess' last night and her wish for a second chance. She dared not believe the implications before her, but she had to find out.
Akane ran out towards the dining room, as she guessed her father was there. The shogi board and Genma, however, were nowhere in sight. "Dad?"
Soun quickly attempted to hide a postcard. His face tear-ridden. "Yes, daughter."
"What day is today?" Akane asked meekly.
"Sunday, Dear."
Akane blinked, yesterday had been Tuesday. "Um, I meant the date."
"May tenth." Soun looked at her puzzled.
Akane's head began to spin. It was Sunday, May tenth, but yesterday was Tuesday May tenth. Ranma arrived on May tenth... Sunday. "I-is the year 1992?"
"Of course, daughter. Are you all right? You don't look good."
"I'm fine... Great even." Akane smiled from ear to ear. Today was the day. Ranma is coming, and she wasn't going to make the same mistakes this time around. She would use this second chance wisely.
Soun looked at his daughter closely. "Akane, could you get your sisters? I have something I need to discuss with all of you."
Akane paled. She noticed the time. Her father was going to start earlier. She had a little more time, but she needed to delay things. "Um, Dad, can I get cleaned up a little first?"
"Sure, but don't take too long."
Akane nodded. She paused for a moment. Akane shook her head.
Akane went to her room to read the entry. She flipped past the first several entries and found the one of his first day at the Tendos:
Today Pop took me to his old friends house. That baka actually wants me to marry one of his old friend's daughters. They chose a violent maniac for me. Shouldn't I get to choose. I don't care if she was the one I would of chosen if forced to. It was my decision. After she hit me with that table, I wanted to chose none of them.
I accidentally saw Akane, the girl I'm suppose marry, nude. One word sums up what I saw: kawaii. I just hope she isn't as violent and insulting as our first meeting indicates. She was so friendly up until that accident. I really could use a friend right now, someone who understands and accepts me. I really shouldn't have said I was better looking, but it really hurt how insulting she was towards me.
This isn't the time for fiancees, I should get back to China and find a cure. I'll give it some time though, this is about family honor, and she does look cute. I'll write down what I think of the Tendos later.
Tears ran down Akane's cheeks. She flipped ahead and found that a week later he detailed what he felt about the various people he meet. She only read hers.
Tendo Akane: A violent, uncute, macho chick. She is insulting, prone to hitting you, and is also a pretty good fighter. If she had trained since she could walk, she could probably wipe the floor with me. I wish I knew how I really feel about her. A couple times I felt so close to her it scared me, so I pushed her away. I don't want to be hurt when I leave her. I know I will, as soon as Tendo gets fed up with Pop's freeloading or when Pop decides he's had enough of this place and moves on.
Akane quickly dried her tears and got dressed in a nice red sun dress. It wasn't the fanciest thing she had, but remembered Ranma did like it. She also didn't want to give away she knew what was about to happen. As she left, she grabbed her gi. She had about twenty minutes before Ranma would show up.
Akane checked to see if Nabiki was in her room. She knocked on the door.
"It's open," Nabiki said through the door.
Akane opened the door and said, "Dad has something to tell us."
"Sure, whatever," Nabiki moaned, she rarely liked what her father had to say. She noticed what Akane was wearing, and asked, "How come you're all dressed up?"
"Oh, no reason," Akane smiled nervously.
Nabiki knew Akane was hiding something, maybe she knew what father had to say. Nabiki got out of bed and followed Akane downstairs. Akane tossed her gi into the changing room after she told Kasumi that their father wanted to talk to them.
-------------------------------------
Soun sat in front of his daughters scared of how they'll react to this. He then thought of the joy that would happen when his family line joined with the Saotome clan. Smiling, he began, "I have wonderful news for you. Soon we will have some visitors."
Nabiki rolled her eyes as she sipped some lemonade.
Kasumi smiled. Hopefully they'll stay for a meal, so she could hear them compliment her cooking.
Akane tried to remain emotionless.
"One of them will be a fiance to one of you."
"FIANCE!?!" yelled the three Tendo girls. Akane hoped they bought her acting.
"Yes, the son of a very good friend of mine. The son's name is Saotome Ranma. If one of you three would marry him and carry on this training center then the Tendo family legacy would be secure."
Nabiki resumed drinking her lemonade, thinking of how to turn this to her advantage. From what her father said, marrying him means she would inherit the Tendo home.
Akane wanted to say something, but didn't want to give away anything. If Nabiki knew Akane could tell of the event for the next two years, there would be trouble.
Kasumi was the first to speak, "Daddy, we don't even know who this Ranma is."
Soun was surprised Kasumi seemed to be the most upset at this. "Then let me tell you a little about him: Ranma and his father have been on a voyage of training. Recently, it seems, they crossed into China."
"Wow! China!" Nabiki chirped in.
"I bet they regretted it," Akane whispered.
"How old is he? Younger men bore me. What kind of guy is this Ranma?" Kasumi asked, upset.
Soun laughed, and then deadpanned, "No idea."
"'No idea,'" Nabiki repeated.
"I've never met him." Soun began to sweat.
Suddenly the sound of a fight was heard outside. "Leggo, y'ol' fool!" someone screamed.
"We have visitors!" Kasumi said.
"OOOO! It must be Ranma!" Nabiki said, racing to the door hoping he was cute.
"Saotome, my friend! We've been waiting!" Soun yelled following Nabiki.
Kasumi thought, straightening her hair.
Akane blinked. Akane came out of her thoughts as a Panda set down a person with red hair onto the floor.
"You wouldn't be..." Soun began.
"Saotome Ranma. Sorry `bout this." Ranma nervously said.
Akane heart ached at the sight of Ranma looking so vulnerable. She wanted to hug him and make him feel welcomed, but that would probably be a bad idea.
"At last! You've come!" Soun shouted for joy.
"OOOO! He's cute!" Nabiki elated.
Soun hugged Ranma tightly. "It's so good of you to come! So..." Soun felt something wrong in his hug with his old friend's 'son.' He pushed away Ranma and started sweating.
Nabiki looked closer at Ranma and saw he had a rather big chest for a guy. She poked Ranma in 'his' chest.
"Um, could you stop that?"
"'He's' a girl," Nabiki said, upset at the lost of her meal ticket.
Soun fainted.
Akane was momentarily torn between helping her father or helping Ranma. She decided to help her father to go along with their initial meeting as best she remembered up until it went sour.
--------------------------
Soun awoke, crying.
"Oh, poor daddy. He's so disappointed." Kasumi said worried.
"HE'S disappointed! Some fiancee this is!" Nabiki shouted.
"Will you stop it! He... SHE is our guest!" Akane angrily replied.
"This is all your fault, daddy! You should have made sure!" Nabiki yelled.
"Well, he said he had a son!!" Soun shouted his reply.
"Do you see a son here? Hmm? Do you?" Nabiki squeezed Ranma's breast for emphasis.
"Um, I really wish you'd stop that," Ranma said, embarrassed.
Akane remember now was the moment to introduce herself. "Hi. I'm Akane. You want to be friends?"
"Ah, sure," Ranma replied.
Akane smiled. "What to join me in the dojo?"
Ranma smiled and nodded.
"Wait here, I'll go change into my gi. Be right back" Akane said.
Ranma nodded.
Akane stepped into the changing room. She started to think about what happened in their first encounter and what to do this time.
After changing, she rushed back to Ranma and then led her to the dojo. "You do kempo, right?"
"A little," Ranma replied.
Akane shook her head. He's dan level in kempo. "Then let's have a little match, okay?"
"Huh?" Ranma uttered.
"Just for fun. I've been training most my life. I can stop myself from hurting you."
"If you say so."
Akane got into her battle stance while Ranma remained relaxed in her position. Akane rushed Ranma, the battle nearly perfectly reflected their first battle.
Akane thought. With a final punch, which Ranma jumped over Akane as a response, she sent her fist into the wall. Ranma tapped Akane on the back of her head.
Ranma started laughing, which Akane joined in.
Ranma thought.
"You're great! I hope whoever my fiance is..." Akane began.
"Huh?" Ranma looked at Akane quizzically.
"...can beat me."
Ranma wasn't sure how to respond to that so she left.
----------------------------
"Akane! Bath's ready!" Nabiki called.
"Thanks," Akane replied. She remembered Ranma would be in there now, debating if she should go in. He would get to see her nude, and better yet, she'd get to see him. Akane cut the line of thought, she'd be a hentai to do that. "I'll take it a little later."
"Suit yourself."
Akane went to her room and started to flip through Ranma's journal trying to find Ukyou's arrival. After a moment she was interrupted by Nabiki screaming, "Who the hell are you?!" Akane paled, hoping Nabiki didn't give Ranma a free show.
Akane ran downstairs, towards the bath. She was relieved to see Nabiki apparently saw Ranma walk out of the bath. Ranma was completely tongue tied.
Kasumi, Soun and Genma entered the hallway.
"I'm waiting... Who are you?" Nabiki demanded.
"I'm Saotome Ranma. Sorry `bout this."
Kasumi stared at him in disbelief.
Nabiki replied, "No you're not. Ranma is a girl with red hair."
Soun interrupted, "Actually that is Ranma. He and his father will explain this."
----------------------------
It was now after sunset. Genma and Ranma repeated their story several times of how they became cursed.
Akane was quickly bored. She had heard and told the story hundreds of times. She rarely took her eyes off Ranma, though, he was quite attractive and she missed him.
Kasumi and Nabiki couldn't believe what they were being told, demanding they explain it again and again. When they had demonstrated how the curses worked, they thought the world had gone completely insane. Neither of them wanted to be engaged to Ranma.
Ranma noticed Akane's attention, and was nervous. She wasn't looking at him with fear and shock that Nabiki and Kasumi were giving. Akane was looking at him with what seemed to be understanding, caring, and longing all wrapped into one. It was the longing part of her gaze that made him more nervous than the gazes from Nabiki and Kasumi.
"The legendary ground of accursed springs. It's true horror has always been shrouded in mystery. But now..." Soun said.
"Whaddya mean 'true horror?'" Ranma interrupted, angrily. "Yo, old man. What's the idea draggin' me to a place like that, anyway?"
Genma responded with another Judo throw into the koi pond. "You sound like a woman! Were you not prepared to give your life for the sake of your training?"
"My life, yes," Ranma answered. "My manhood is another story!" Ranma dumped a bucket of water on his father and started fighting him.
"Oh, what a tragedy!" Soun cried.
"Stop that!" Kasumi demanded.
Akane kicked Genma into the pond. "How can you be that stupid?!"
"He makes Kuno look intelligent," Nabiki said angrily.
"Why did you do something so dangerous?" Kasumi demanded.
Nabiki noticed a pamphlet on the ground and picked it up. "It's Chinese. A map... and a guide book? Something about 'training grounds.'"
"You can't read Chinese, can you?!" Kasumi asked.
"Correct," said a banner that came out of a confetti bomb held by Genma. Ranma punched him.
Soun used a teakettle to turn Genma back into human form. "So, when doused with hot water, you return to human form."
"Well, it needn't be quite that hot," Genma commented.
"When doused with cold water you become a girl..." Soun pointed at Ranma, and then tried to pour the scolding hot water onto her, "...but hot water turns you back into a boy!"
"Hot water! Not Boiling!" Ranma corrected, dodging the water.
"No sweat. Your problem isn't so terrible after all," Soun said, patting Ranma on the back.
"Huh?" Ranma uttered.
"My daughter Kasumi, nineteen. And Nabiki, seventeen. And Akane, sixteen. Pick the one you want. She's your fiancee."
"Oh, he wants Akane!" Kasumi suggested.
"Oh, definitely!" Nabiki confirmed.
"Wait! It is HIS decision!" Akane demanded.
Nabiki and Kasumi blinked.
"Well, Ranma, make your decision," Soun demanded.
"Do I have ta?" Ranma asked, very nervous.
"YES!" demanded Soun and Genma.
"None of them?" Ranma asked a little hopefully.
"That isn't an option, boy." Genma said flatly.
Ranma looked at her feet. "I-I-I... c-choose... A-A-Akane," she said meekly.
Akane tried to repress her smile, but failed badly as it went from ear to ear.
"It's settled then. Akane is your fiancee," Soun said.
"Um, Akane, you don't mind? Do ya?" Ranma asked nervously.
"I don't like being forced into this, but it'll probably help with my boy problems. This might be a good thing for me," Akane answered, blushing DEEP red.
"What boy problems?" Ranma asked.
"Every morning, I have to fight all the guys at school who want to date me," Akane related.
"How many?"
"A couple dozen at least," Akane shrugged.
Ranma blinked. He didn't expect that many.
Kasumi breathed a sigh of relief. He wasn't engaged to her.
Nabiki spied Akane suspiciously. Akane hadn't reacted violently to getting engaged. She even appeared to like it. Something was wrong with this picture. The girl who hates boys was actually to be forced into an engagement with a half-girl freak. Was it because Akane is a lesbian and she could hide it with him? Nabiki didn't think so, but the evidence seemed to point towards it.
Soun was thankful that Akane seemed to accept her engagement already. He thought if Akane was chosen, it'd take years before she'd accept it.
Genma was happy. He was at his old friends house and given full ability to freeload.
Ranma was confused. His curse still fresh and uncertain in his mind, and now he was engaged to a girl he hardly knew. She was cute at least. He wanted to get cured, but family honor demanded he stay. Ranma didn't know what to think. Once again, she felt like her life was sent through a blender.
Akane was happy. Her Ranma was back, and this time she wouldn't make the same mistakes.
-------------------------------