Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Insanity Continues ❯ New Eyes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Insanity Continues

Volume 0 - Ever Changing World

Chapter 2 - New Eyes

By: Lord Archive

Characters are own Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan and are used without permission. All rights reserved.

This series was originally written in 1997, long before ffnet existed. This is one of my first fanfictions. Some edits have been made to improve readability, but it remains as an example of early Ranma 1/2 fanfiction. When this was being written, elements of this story weren't cliched, it was creating the cliches. While this remains as one of my more popular Ranma 1/2 series, it is not without it's faults as I was new to writing stories and a complete translation of Ranma 1/2 manga had yet to appear in America when this was originally written more than fifteen years ago.

This series is strictly Manga based.

-----------------------------


Ranma groaned as he woke up. He didn't want to wake up today. He wanted the day to pass by. Today was going to be a bad day, as yesterday he almost married Akane, but it bombed, literally. Akane would likely be very angry all day, if not all week.

Ranma opened his eyes. He hoped she realized it was not his fault all of Nerima showed up, including those hell bent to stop the wedding. He had nothing to do with it, but she would blame him. She always blamed him.

Ranma got out of his futon. Why did he feel disappointed that the wedding had failed? It was not like he was ready to get married. He didn't know if he ever wanted to get married. He had lived his life on the road, and they were trying to get me to commit to a life where he would rarely leave this place.

He sighed. Akane sure looked cute in those wedding dresses. Too bad her personality wasn't cute. But he guessed that was the point, she didn't act cute and that was why he had feelings for her. He couldn't see himself being with someone like Kasumi, Akari, or Azusa, but he can see himself with Akane. He thought he might love her, but he didn't really know what love was suppose to feel like.

Ranma quickly got dressed. Maybe? Maybe, if he told her that he loved her, she wouldn't be angry at him. He shook his head. She would think he said it in hopes of avoiding getting hit for not saving the wedding. He still couldn't figure out why she had agreed to it. She had been against it for so long and now she agreed to marry him. Was it because she was going to do it for him or did she agree because she loved him? The only way to find that out was to ask her, but he would probably have to admit how he felt first. That would be two reasons to tell her. He guessed it might be worth a try.

Ranma made his way downstairs, just in time for breakfast. Everyone ignored him, like they were doing with Akane, who was already there. Akane kept glaring at either Genma or Nabiki, but never turned her angry gaze at him. Ranma took this as a sign she might not be angry at him, but he knew now was not the time to talk to her.

-----------------------------

Nabiki's concentration was interrupted by a gentle knock on her bedroom door. Sighing at this latest interruption, she called out. "Come in, doors open."

Akane walked into the room. A sad smile crossed her face. This concerned Nabiki greatly. Akane was a creature of extremes. If Akane was upset she was a raging bull. If she's happy she beams like a shinning star. However, Akane had almost a Kasumi air about her, which could mean only one thing: Akane was beyond mad. "Nabiki we should talk," her sister said with a gentle voice that carried the chill of an arctic wind.

Nabiki couldn't help but gulp when she looked at Akane. Sitting next to Nabiki on the bed, the youngest Tendo sister looked out the window, gazing at nothing in particular. "Why did you ruin my wedding?"

"Now Akane, I know very well you didn't want to marry Ranma," Nabiki replied knowingly.

"Do you really know? I may not like being forced into it and I may not be ready, but who said I didn't want to?" Akane questioned with a strange calmness.

Nabiki folded her arms. "You have countless times."

"I haven't said it for a long while now, have I?" Akane returned.

"Come on, Akane. I know you were bribed into agreeing to marry him," Nabiki insisted.

"So what if I was bribed? What does that have to do with your roll in destroying my wedding?" Akane demanded, a slight edge creeping into her voice.

"Because, I didn't want you to get forced into a marriage you don't want," Nabiki explained.

"Do you think I'd throw away my future just because Ranma would get his cure?" The ice in Akane's voice started to crack as her angry gaze fell upon Nabiki. "I agreed because I wanted to marry him. I would've agreed if there was no Nannichaun. I agreed because I love him. And you..." She was now snarling, "You ruined my wedding!"

Nabiki looked shocked as her discarded school bag became an impromptu weapon that struck the side of her head.

Akane looked down at her sister. "Damn. Now I have to wait for her to wake up before I can get her to help me solve his fiancee problem." She left the room and returned with some water and aspirins. She set them on Nabiki's desk and then went and stared out the window.

Nabiki awoke a few moments later. She first saw the aspirins on her desk and quickly used them. She then felt dread as she noticed Akane standing at her window.

Akane began sadly, "Nabiki, I understand that you did what you thought was right. I love you for that. But what you did hurt me more than you may ever know. I may have been bribed to marry Ranma but that was not the reason I went through with it."

Akane took a deep breath then sighed. "I love him Nabiki. More than I can even say. And he loves me with the same intensity Dad loved Mom. Even if he hasn't said it, I can feel it. When Ranma thought I died in China, I could FEEL the pain in him. It scared me that he was hurting so much. I wonder if that's what brought me back."

Nabiki was stunned to say the least. The passion and sadness in Akane's voice carried like a melody. It took several seconds for what her sister said to register. In a choked whisper she asked, "What do you mean by 'brought back?'"

A shudder overtook Akane as she thought back to the day that changed her life in so many ways. She hugged herself as if to bring warmth back to her body. Closing her eyes she told Nabiki the tale of Mount Phoenix. "...and I died. Despite Ranma's best effort my eyes finally closed. I remember looking down at my body and Ranma holding me. He held me so softly. Begging me to wake up. I wanted to reach out to him, to let him know I was there. But I couldn't. I could only look down as Ranma finally screamed out my name. The pain in that scream shook my soul. It seemed like a beacon for me to return. I followed that anguished howl back down to where I laid. I seemed to shoot back down to the earth. The next thing I remember was calling Ranma's name."

Nabiki could only look at her sister in disbelief. How could her 'little' sister have gone through so much so young. She wanted to hold her sister, to comfort her in some way. But she couldn't. She didn't know how.

Akane turned around and looked at Nabiki. "Do you know Ranma killed Saffron for me? To save me he had to give up his innocence. I think part of Ranma died that day also. Do you have any idea what it means to a person like Ranma to KILL someone? What that person has to give up?"

"No, I don't." A single tear ran down Nabiki's cheek. "I'm sorry for what I did. I was wrong. I SHOULD have asked you first. I was just so afraid that you weren't ready. Can you forgive me?"

Akane sat next to her sister and gently hugged her. "Of course I can. You're my sister. I love you too much to stay mad at you. Besides, you can help solve Ranma's fiancee problems so the next attempt won't fail."

Nabiki went over some plans she had laid out if Ranma ever wanted to remove any one of his fiancees, and was willing to pay the price for it. Going over it now with Akane, they started to find errors where the plans were concerned with having the fiancees being far less aggressive than they proved to be at the failed wedding. Several of the ideas, like deporting Shampoo, wouldn't work very well, since she'd eventually return.

Akane got frustrated at the lack of any good, permanent plans to handle the fiancees and left to think on her own.

Nabiki lay down on her bed. Her business personality in force since going over the plans with Akane. Those two may be in love, but they were still not ready. She would work on some ideas to solve their problems. But until they could go weeks at a time without fighting, though, she didn't see it as a good idea for them to getting married. Besides, it wouldn't do to lose her greatest source of income just yet. Maybe she could come up with some ideas to help smooth out their relationship.

-----------------------------

Everyone seemed to be avoiding Ranma today, which suited him fine. They didn't know how he'd take the wedding attempt, and quite frankly, neither did he. Genma decided to make himself scarce after breakfast, since everyone held him at fault for the loss of the Nannichaun and partially at fault for the failed wedding attempt in general.

Ranma wanted to lose himself in something that wouldn't let him think about the wedding, or about what happened almost a week ago. Martial arts exercises didn't work for this, but homework might. He went upstairs and heard Akane talking in Nabiki's room, but couldn't tell what she was saying. He decided to eavesdrop.

"...while now, have I?" Akane was heard saying calmly.

"Come on Akane. I know you were bribed into agreeing to marry him," Nabiki replied.

"So what if I was bribed?" Ranma's heart sank as he heard this. Akane was bribed into marrying him. If she was bribed, then she didn't love him. He couldn't listen anymore, because he ran. He ran out of the house, and didn't stop running.

Did Akane love him? He thought she might, but then why would she need to be bribed? He wanted to know if she loved him, but he couldn't just ask her. He didn't want to find out she didn't love him. He couldn't take hearing THAT. He had to think of a way to find out if she loved him.

Ranma's thoughts blazed through his head. He couldn't get the thought that Akane might not love him out of his mind. Running for some time he got hungry, and followed his nose into a restaurant not thinking of where he was. He sat down at the counter, ignoring the chef's greeting. It wasn't until seconds after he sat down, that he realized where he was, when okonomiyaki suddenly appeared before him.

"Ranchan, what's wrong?" Ukyou asked.

"Lot's of things," Ranma replied, inhaling the first okonomiyaki.

"Um, Ranchan, I'm sorry about attacking you yesterday."

Ranma started picking at the second okonomiyaki, his thoughts returning to Akane. "It's no big deal," he said absentmindedly.

Ukyou smiled and gave him a quick hug. "Thank you."

Ranma was so lost in thought he didn't notice being hugged.

-----------------------------

Akane sat at her desk tapping her fingers on her desk. She was surprised at how little help Nabiki had been with giving ideas of how to handle Ranma's fiancees. She heard a knock at the door and said, "Come in."

"Hello, Dear. How are you feeling?" Nodoka asked. She was uncertain of what she was going to talk to Akane about was a good idea, but she felt it needed to be asked.

"Too many feelings to count," Akane grumbled.

"I see. Now Akane, why did you agree to marry Ranma?"

At that point Akane didn't care who knew she loved Ranma and answered matter-of-factly, "Because I love him. I wanted to marry him. The chance of not having to deal with the other girls fighting over him was a nice incentive too."

"That's good." Nodoka smiled. "Akane, what do you think your life will be like with Ranma?"

Akane though for a moment. "Well, we'd both run the dojo and hopefully raise a couple children."

Nodoka smiled nervously. "What about the insanity he seems to attract?"

Akane sighed. "We'd have to deal with that, too. I'm not to thrilled with the idea of dealing with things like demon attack plants, strange magical items, Jusenkyo curse victims, and all the other weirdness, but I will."

"Akane, do you realize he might not come home from one of his adventures. Or that you, your family, and/or your friends will also be at risk from his unusual life?" Nodoka questioned nervously.

Akane took a moment to think. "I guess I do. I nearly died a couple times in China. One of those times was to save Ranma's life. And, Ranma fought an opponent who, by all rights, should've easily killed him, just to save me." She looked at Nodoka strangely. "Why are you asking me this? It sounds like you're trying to convince me not to marry Ranma."

"I do want you to marry Ranma, Dear. I just wanted to make sure you know what you're getting into. I don't want you getting hurt because you thought marriage would cure the strange events. I didn't realize how bad it was until yesterday. I'm happy you know marrying my son won't be perfect, but no marriage truly is." Nodoka gave Akane a strong hug. "Welcome to the family."

"Too bad Genma comes with it," Akane muttered.

"There is good and bad in all things, including him," Nodoka told her fondly.

"Auntie, please don't tell Ranma about what I've said. I want him to realize how I feel about him. I want him to say he loves me first." A single tear rolled down Akane's cheek.

Nodoka nodded. "I understand, Dear. But don't wait too long or he might run off with another girl."

Akane glared. "He better not."

-----------------------------

Ranma and Akane prepared to leave for school. Both were a little nervous of how to deal with the others from school. Ranma was a bit more nervous, since Akane was smiling. He was confused about the smile, thinking it might be because she was happy the wedding failed. But the look she gave him, attached to the smile, suggested something else. She looked at him in a way that showed a certain closeness, some desire, and even a little possessiveness.

Akane was surprised Ranma ran next to her on the way to school, rather than on the fence, like he normally did. She hoped this meant he wanted to get closer to her. That he had forgiven her for her part in the wedding fiasco.

Both were too lost in thought in notice the ringing of a bicycle bell that was moving closer. Shampoo launched her bike and landed in front of Ranma. She then hugged him and elated her usual morning greeting, "Nihao! Husband take Shampoo on date?"

Akane glared at Shampoo, truly seeing, perhaps for the first time, that Shampoo was doing the hugging while Ranma wasn't returning it in the slightest. She waited to see how Ranma was going to handle Shampoo without interference.

"Let go of me, Shampoo," Ranma said a little nervously as the initial shock of her hug wore off.

Shampoo ignored him. "Forget about school and nasty, violent girl, and take Shampoo to date. Yes?"

"No date, and let go of me," Ranma said coldly.

Unsettled a little by Ranma's tone Shampoo let go. "What wrong?"

"You have some nerve trying this after attacking me. I expected better of you," Ranma snapped at her.

The Chinese Amazon waved a finger. "Shampoo only did it to stop wedding husband did not want."

"I'm not your husband! And how would you know I didn't want to get married? I didn't ask you to stop it and you didn't ask me if I wanted it stopped, so how could you know?" Ranma shouted at her.

Shampoo pouted cutely. "Because know Ranma wouldn't want to marry violent, kitchen destroyer..."

Akane had heard enough from Shampoo and sent her into lower Earth orbit with a surprise kick.

Ranma looked at Akane shocked.

"The bimbo had it coming," Akane said flatly. "We have to run or we'll be late for school."

When they arrived at school they, of course, saw Kuno waiting for them. "Ah, the fair Tendo Akane saved from marriage to..." Kuno began.

Ranma interrupted by knocking him out with a jump kick to the head.

-----------------------------

Shampoo returned to the Neko-Hanten as a very wet cat.

Cologne looked at Shampoo shaking her head. "I warned you about going to see Ranma so soon after the wedding." The small old woman picked up the cat and took her to the bathing room. Once there, she tossed Shampoo into the bath. "So tell me what happened."

Shampoo looked sadly into the bathtub. "Airen not happy with me. Thought I would stay away after attacking him. Upset I did not find out if he wanted to get married or not."

"Did he say that he did want to marry her?" Cologne questioned.

Shampoo shook her head. "No. Sounded like he did not want to marry her, just wanted to have someone ask if he wanted it."

Mousse stopped in the hall as he heard the two talking.

Cologne nodded in thought. "I see. How did you end up getting turned into a cat?"

Shampoo scowled. "Akane kicked me into the river."

Mousse was uncertain what to do from what he overheard. Akane had hurt Shampoo, but it was in his best interests to help Akane win Ranma so he could get Shampoo. He would have to have a talk with Akane.

-----------------------------

Akane was not pleased with the rumor horde at school. They would not leave Ranma and her alone. She was a little upset at Ranma for taking off immediately after school, leaving her behind. She was confused that Ukyou didn't appear to feel guilty for her part of the wedding disaster, like she thought the girl would.

Akane ran off the school grounds and made it only a block away before she was stopped.

Mousse looked at her sternly. "Akane, why did you hurt my precious Shampoo?"

"Several reasons, including her trying to get Ranma to take her on a date and was also insulting me at the time." Akane's eyes took an evil glint. "Care for me to list reasons from last Saturday?"

Mousse frowned. "I cannot allow you to hurt her."

"Then help me remove her as one of Ranma's fiancees," Akane returned.

Mousse shook his head. "I don't think you want me to do that in the means I can help with."

"Which way is that?" Akane wondered.

Mousse reluctantly said, "Killing him."

Akane pouted. "You're right, I don't. Isn't there some law that could break the engagement?"

Mousse shrugged. "There may be some."

"Then why don't we search for them?" Akane asked with hope in her voice.

"Can't. The laws forbid telling an outsider any law that doesn't apply to them, and most Amazon laws regarding marriage are only for Amazon women to know," Mousse related bitterly.

"This would apply, since he doesn't want to marry Shampoo," Akane replied.

"Yes, and Ranma is the only one that can ask for them. Until he asks, I can't say anything," Mousse explained.

"What would happen if you broke the rule?" Akane asked.

Mousse looked away. "I could be in for a lot of pain. Combining that with several other... rule bending I have done in hopes of proving my love for Shampoo, I might be banished from my home and remain an Amazon."

"Banished and remain an Amazon?" Akane asked quizzically.

"If I'm banished and made an outsider, I could return to the village after defeating and marrying an Amazon. If I remain an Amazon, I could never return."

Akane reluctantly nodded in understanding. "Mousse, if you have any ideas that would help me remove Shampoo or the others as Ranma's fiancee, please tell me."

"I'll try to think of some. I ask you don't go and hurt Shampoo," Mousse pleaded.

Akane shook her head. "Can't promise I won't, just that I'll only attack her if she's trying to get close to Ranma."

"Akane..." Mousse started angrily.

"Or would you rather I just let her make time with him?" Akane said coldly.

"Ah... no." Mousse sweat-dropped.

"Good." Akane ran off before Mousse could say anything more. She almost made it home before she was stopped again.

"You wretched girl dare to try and take my Ranma-sama from me. I shall make you pay for such impudence," a girl wearing a leotard angrily snarled.

Akane glared. "Cut the crap, Kodachi. Ranma doesn't love you."

"That is irrelevant. I will see Ranma-sama free from you." Kodachi let loose her ribbon at Akane.

Akane prepared to dodge, but stopped when she saw that Ranma had grabbed the ribbon.

"Kodachi, go away. Do not interfere with my life. I don't love you. I don't even like you." There was a coldness to his voice that made the girls shudder.

"But Ranma-sama, I love you," Kodachi pleaded.

"You and several other girls I know," Ranma remarked bitterly. "If I ever do decide to get married, it won't be to you."

"How dare you say that!?!" Kodachi screamed, tears welling up in her eyes. "Attack of a Thousand Clubs!"

Ranma blocked Kodachi's attack using his speed training. "Kodachi, go away. I don't ever want to see you again."

Kodachi backed off. "Ranma-sama, why?"

The young Saotome glared death. "I don't have time to tell you all the reason, but I can start with you showing up at that screwed up wedding attempt in a wedding dress. Just go away, and leave me alone."

"Ranma-sama, this can't be the end." Kodachi turned and ran off.

Ranma turned around. "There was never a beginning."

"Ranma, not that I mind what you said to her, but I could've handled her," Akane said.

"Whatever." Ranma walked through the Tendo gate.

Akane almost made him explain that, but the ice in his voice told her he was upset and wanted to be alone.

-----------------------------

"Ranma, prepare to die!" Ryoga shouted his customary challenge as Ranma and Akane walked to school.

"Impressive, you made it back in three days," Ranma quipped as he dodged several punches from Ryoga.

"Ryoga! Stop attacking him!" Akane yelled.

Both of them stopped and stared at the girl.

"I don't know why you attacked Ranma, but we don't have time. We've got to get to school." Akane grabbed Ranma's arm and ran towards the school.

Ranma was stunned. First by Akane apparently blaming Ryoga for starting the fight, and then by Akane grabbing his arm and didn't let go until they were almost at school.

Ryoga stared at them as they left. "I was going to make him pay for not marrying you," he said sadly, long after they were out of earshot range. "She blamed me. She's always blamed him, but now she blamed me. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS WORLD!?!"

Ranma and Akane arrived at school, and before them, yet again, was Kuno. "Oh, beauteous goddess of the hunt..."

Ranma interrupted him with a round-house to his jaw.

"Vile sor..." Kuno tried to say.

Ranma then kicked Kuno over the school.

Akane looked at Ranma oddly. This was the second time he stopped Kuno and didn't let things get far enough for Kuno to attack either them.

-----------------------------

It was lunch time, and Ranma wasn't to thrilled about it, because the rumor horde was still bugging him and Akane. He ate lunch with her under a tree. Akane gave a clear indication she didn't want anyone asking questions, planting a rather large mallet next to her. This didn't stop people from listening in on what they had to say.

"Hi, Ranchan!" Ukyou greeted happily. "I brought some okonomiyaki for you."

Akane glared at Ukyou.

"Um... thanks Ucchan," Ranma answered nervously.

"Oh, Akane, sorry about attacking the wedding," Ukyou said, not sounding very apologetic.

"Aren't you going to apologize to him?" Akane snapped.

"Already have. He said it was no big deal." Ukyou grinned.

"What?!" Akane started to glow dark blue.

"Well... ah... you see..." Ranma stuttered.

"Ranma! How could you?! You jerk!!" Akane wanted to tell him why she was angry, but only her usual insults could escaped her lips. She grabbed her mallet and embedded him into the ground with several hits. She then ran off crying.

"What's her problem? Wasn't she forced into this?" Ukyou mused, helping the unconscious Ranma out of the ground. "Ranchan, are you okay?" she asked when he woke up.

"I'm fine." He cast a quick look around him. "Where did Akane go?"

Ukyou frowned. "I don't know. She just ran off."

"Great," Ranma muttered. Why did she do that? If he did something wrong, why couldn't she just tell him what he did wrong?

Ranma found out that Akane had gone back to their classroom and pointedly not looking at him. She was ignoring him completely.

-----------------------------

Akane's Diary Entry:
December 7th, 1993.

Dear Diary,

I don't know what to do anymore. I love Ranma and I know he loves me, but he forgave Ukyou for the wedding disaster. How could he say that? She attacked him and stopped our wedding for God sakes. Could it be because he loves her too. That would explain why he hasn't told me he loves me.

What am I going to do, Diary? I want him to marry me, but I'm going against Ukyou. She's sort of my friend, but we both love the same man.

-----------------------------

Ranma laid on the roof of the Tendo house over Akane's room. What did he do wrong? Akane got all upset after Ukyou said that I had forgiven her. He was still a little upset at Ukyou for doing it, but she was his friend and it probably was Shampoo's idea to attack the wedding.

He really wanted to know if Akane loved him. He wished she would just tell him. He didn't want to make a fool of himself and say he loved someone who didn't love him as well. How would he know? He guessed he would just have to wait until she told him.

He really didn't know if he wanted to marry Akane. It might be better for her if they didn't. She was always getting angry at him.

-----------------------------

Author's Note:

What was old is new again. This series was originally started in 1997. I am in the process of editing the series as I repost it. This series was far from complete when I stopped working on it back in 2000, and have no plans on writing it to completion. I may, however, finally finish volume 4 of this series so at least that arc would be finished, but no promises on that just yet. There are currently only seventeen more completed chapters: five in volumes one and three, four in volume two, and three finished chapters for volume four.

Almost everything is back to square one with the exception that Akane wants to marry Ranma, and verbally admitted she loves him, and Ryoga has given up Akane, but will treat her like a younger sister.

Akane wore a Japanese wedding kimono at the start of Manga volume 37 and a western wedding dress at the end of volume 38.

Akane smiling at Ranma as they left for school, and Ranma running next to her to school actually occur on the last page of Manga volume 38.

The scene where Akane talks to Nabiki was rewritten by suggestion of and partially done by William Jones. I feel this works out better as Akane's cathartic talk to Nabiki would better set up Akane's talk with Nodoka.