Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Insanity Continues ❯ Honeymoon Blues ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ranma 1/2: The Insanity Continues

Volume 2 - Reflections and Changes

Chapter 1 - Honeymoon Blues

Written by Lord Archive

Characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan and are used without permission. All rights reserved.

This series was originally written in 1997, long before ffnet existed. This is one of my first fanfictions. Some edits have been made to improve readability, but it remains as an example of early Ranma 1/2 fanfiction. When this was being written, elements of this story weren't cliched, it was creating the cliches. While this remains as one of my more popular Ranma 1/2 series, it is not without it's faults as I was new to writing stories and a complete translation of Ranma 1/2 manga had yet to appear in America when this was originally written more than fifteen years ago.

There is a brand new scene in this chapter, that did not exist before October 2012. It was written to help tone down one of the early Ranma cliches regarding Nodoka, and to better bring her real personality in this series.

---------------------------------------------------

Hello! Saotome Akane here. Yes, you heard right, Saotome. I finally married that stupid jerk, one month after the bombed wedding. It happened after I had a private talk with Ranma, found out about Ryouga's curse, and got pregnant. You would think that this would end at least some part of the insanity of the past year and a half, but it didn't.

---------------------------------------------------

She had lost him. Without him, she was nothing, cared for nothing, had nothing. Eleven years of her life, her childhood, her womanhood, all wasted chasing a man she could never have. And he had just married someone else. What was worse, she couldn't exact her vengeance upon him as she still loved him.

Kuonji Ukyou sat on the floor of the restaurant she had built for her love, cursing him and the memories her restaurant brought up. After ten o'clock, she got off the floor and grabbed some pens and paper. Motioning to Konatsu, who had been watching her from the shadows the entire time, she handed the writing equipment to him.

She stated with a sob, "Write down any ideas you have to remodel this place."

Konatsu blinked. "Huh?"

She did not reply as she walked over to the counter, pulled out her giant spatula and decimated the counter.

Konatsu grabbed her weapon. "Ukyou, Stop! What are you doing?!"

"My old life is over." Ukyou did not look up from the debris for a moment. Then she turned to him, staring at him with tears in her eyes. "So I'm preparing to make a new one."

"What are you planning to do?" Konatsu fretted.

"I'm going to gut Ucchan's and open Ukyou's in it's place. And when I see Ranma and Akane again I'll... I'll..." Ukyou choked back some tears. "I don't know what I'll do."

"They didn't mean to hurt you. They are your friends. Please don't push them away," Konatsu pleaded.

He did not get a reply as Ukyou resumed her destructive outpouring against her restaurant.

---------------------------------------------------

Kuno slowly marched into his room, crestfallen. The loves of his life just married each other. Well, one of his loves, the other was a lie. He glared at a poster of the girl he once called his pig-tailed goddess.

He raised his bokken to the poster and shouted, "You vile cur. You have deceived me, the Blue Thunder, with your heinous magic. For that alone I have the right to seek vengeance, but you have also captured the heart of the beauteous Tendo Akane. For that the swift punishment of heaven is not enough. You deserve the slow agonizing revenge of hell!"

He shredded all the pictures of Ranma in female form off his walls, and then his eyes befell the pictures of Akane. "You are now lost to me for all time. You, the fairest of women, lost to the evil Saotome. I shall honor your wish and not interfere, but I shall have my revenge on Ranma, somehow. Now I must commit the ultimate sacrifice and lay low my love for you."

He took down all the pictures of Akane. As he removed the final poster, he noticed a picture that had been placed there over two years ago, before his obsession with the youngest Tendo. "Maybe it is you who is truly the love of my life. A girl of cunning and intellect that rivals no other, but your spirit does not match what a noble warrior such as I should have as a wife and love. After all this time, there is still something that beckons me to you, though. I shall sleep on this thought."

He walked over to his bed and fell dead asleep.

The only picture remaining on his wall was tattered and slightly faded with age. It was almost indistinguishable, however, the image of a fifteen year old girl with short brown hair could still be seen.

---------------------------------------------------

Overnight the unusually warm weather passed and gave way to the cold chilling rains of winter. Ranma and Akane didn't care, they weren't going anywhere while on their honeymoon. Most of their friends and rivals, however, felt the weather suited their moods perfectly.

-----------------------------

Ryoga stood at the door of the Unryu farmhouse, watching Akari feed her pigs. He was lost in thought. He lamented the loss of Akane, and hoped he was not losing his girlfriend. He made a mistake at the wedding. A mistake he doubted she would truly forgive him for.

Akari returned from her morning chores and looked at Ryoga with concern.

Akari asked, "Ryoga are you okay?"

Ryoga looked at her with sorrow filled eyes, "I'm fine."

Akari shook her head. "Ryoga, I realize it's hard to let go of someone you love. But you should know first loves almost never work out."

Ryoga raised an eyebrow. "Who was your first love?"

Akari sighed. "I guess if I tell you, it'll help you get over Akane. Well, he was this guy at school and when he laughed he sounded like a pig...."

---------------------------------------------------

"Here you go Mu Mu-chan," said Kasumi as she placed some food and water near Mousse.

Mousse quacked his thanks. He was thankful Kasumi allowed him to be her temporary pet, so as not to inconvenience the Saotome and the Tendo families. He sat in the kitchen and watched Nodoka and Kasumi got into a pleasant argument of who should cook.

He really didn't mind being Kasumi's pet, as it was better than being Cologne's. Even if he had to be Cologne's pet, he would be happy. Shampoo was free of Saotome and he now had the chance to win her through combat.

He wanted to go to Shampoo and declare his love to her, but he knew that would cause him no end of pain from either Shampoo or Cologne, possibly both. He just sat there and took comfort knowing that soon he would be able to prove his love.

He was distracted from his thoughts by Nabiki asking, "So, what are you doing here, Mousse."

The duck flapped his wings. "Quack, quack."

"Oh, he's been thrown out of his home until he can defeat Shampoo," answered Kasumi.

"Decided to play the P-Chan act, huh?" Nabiki asked.

Mousse nodded. "Quack."

Nodoka, realizing this was the same guy Shampoo threw into the koi pond at the wedding reception, asked, "Why is he staying a duck?"

"He insisted because he doesn't want to inconvenience us," answered Kasumi.

Nodoka shook her head. "My son certainly has some interesting friends."

---------------------------------------------------

She did not understand how she had lost him. She was cuter than Akane, she was a better fighter than Akane, she was a better cook than Akane... in fact, she was better than Akane at everything else she could think of. She lay on the bed, bemoaning her loss.

Shampoo had loved Ranma with all of her heart, but after he got Akane pre... pre... pregnant, he had to marry her. Shampoo had never managed to get anything more than a hug or a kiss from Ranma. Who was she kidding? All of the times he hugged her were drug induced, and she forced all of the other hugs and kisses upon him. She had never gotten anything from him.

Shampoo rolled over, revealing the tears in her eyes. All she wanted to do was to be able to wake up and find this was all just a nightmare, but she knew in her heart that it wasn't. Ranma was lost to her...

---------------------------------------------------

Cologne worked the Neko-hantan alone as Shampoo was still in bed. Cologne would have to get her downstairs soon to help with the lunch rush.

Cologne wanted to help Shampoo get over the loss quickly. Regrettably, she had not raised a child nor dealt with these matters for a VERY long time. She had spent the last year training Shampoo as a warrior, rarely giving what could be considered motherly advice. What she told Akane after being freed from the Imprisonment Gem was something she had said to many young mothers before, and would do so many times in the future. They weren't exactly her own words, either.

Cologne wanted to kill Akane for interfering with Amazon laws, but could not do so because of the same laws. She used her last chance to get Ranma as a protector, and possible addition, to the Amazon tribe, by making Akane an Amazon, and it worked. The only man who has a chance to defeat her had pledged to help the Amazons in times of trouble, thereby gaining a powerful protector. Ranma still remained an enigma to her. He was only seventeen, yet he was potentially among the top ten human warriors on the planet. How could one so young be so powerful?

She pushed the thought aside to be pursued again in the future.

Cologne decided to see if she had a potion that could dull the love Shampoo felt for Ranma, wishing she had realized the need to use it on Akane before it was too late. Though the war for Ranma likely had ended long ago, he had just not announced who had won.

Besides, life in Japan was more convenient and training Ranma was a special joy. Having to stay here was hardly a burden to her. She did not truly begrudge the boy's choice, nor did she actually dislike Akane. She regretted that her great-granddaughter likely never had much of a chance to win his heart and truly added him to the tribe.

---------------------------------------------------

Ranma slowly woke with a smile on his face. He frowned a little when he realized that Akane wasn't there and wondered where she might be. He heard a noise approach the door and was suddenly filled with dread. His wife wouldn't have cooked breakfast, would she? Would she really start the 'punishment' on our honeymoon?

The door opened to reveal Akane holding a tray with two bowls, two glasses, two spoons, a container of milk, a container of orange juice, and a box of cereal.

Akane saw the frightened look on Ranma's face and was a little angry.

Ranma relaxed at the sight of cereal and smiled, "Good morning."

There was a short battle in Akane's head, whether to be angry at Ranma or to forget about it. She forgot about it.

"Actually it's afternoon now," she blushed. "You can thank your Mom for suggesting cereal for breakfast. She thought it best for me to keep things simple, at least during the honeymoon."

He nodded in agreement, while silently thanking his mother.

---------------------------------------------------

Under the trees, in the cracks and crevices, and along the rooftops of Furinkan High School were hundreds of male figures. Some were wearing all black in mourning, some were plotting and planning, and some were designing highly explosive land mines. All, however, shared one common feature, they were all crying over the loss of Akane.

The girls of Furinkan weren't exactly pleased that Ranma was officially off the market, but most of them had long accepted that they didn't have a chance with him.

Hiroshi and Daisuke were among the few who were happy. Sure Akane was no longer available, if she ever was. The wedding freed Ukyou and Shampoo to enter the dating circuit.

"So which one do you want to go after: the Amazon or the chef?" asked Daisuke.

"I prefer the chef. The Amazon seems too...well...she's easily swayed by mood swings and is extremely violent," replied Hiroshi.

Daisuke waved a finger. "But that would also describe Akane, and you know what kind of following she had. Besides Shampoo is a much better looker."

"Looks are good, but not everything," Hiroshi retorted.

Daisuke nodded. "True, but it is a large part of the consideration."

Hiroshi leaned toward his best friend. "Are you foolish enough to challenge her to a fight?"

Daisuke grinned. "Challenge her to fight, no. Set a trap to defeat her, yes."

Hiroshi shook his head. "Are you stupid? If you defeat her like that she might decide to kill you. If she doesn't, you'll have to marry her and move to China. Leaving everything behind."

Daisuke leaned back, "It might just be worth it."

"You are stupid," Hiroshi deadpanned.

---------------------------------------------------

Nabiki picked at her lunch. She was trying to figure out what money making schemes to start considering. Her main source wasn't going to generate as much money as it used to. Her last scheme was to open a betting pool on how long it would be before Akane got pregnant. This didn't fool many of the students as several bets were placed that she already got pregnant. Three people won so far out of the forty-two who placed bets. Most of them thought she's been pregnant for more than a week.

She looked over her mental list of people who made her money. She had a couple days before I needed to figure out how to make money off Ranma and Akane. Ryoga would likely be gone for weeks if not months. Ukyou won't be much help. Shampoo... may have to check on her. May start a contest to find a husband for her. Mousse... he'll be training at the dojo for a while. She could set up betting pools concerning his attempts to get Shampoo. Kodachi was always a bit of a loose cannon, but charging guys to date her would be good. Kuno-chan was no good until she found out who his next love would be.

Nabiki absent-mindedly wrote down some of her ideas.

Betting pool based on Mousse's attempts to win Shampoo:
Date of first battle.
Winner of battle.
Shampoo defeated/married before Mousse can win.
Shampoo accepting Mousse if he defeats her.

---------------------------------------------------

Two of Akane's friends sat eating lunch.

"That was an interesting wedding," Sayuri said.

"Certainly was," agreed Yuka.

Sayuri stared outside. "It seems that nothing is normal for them."

Yuka nodded. "They lead an interesting life. Just be thankful we get to watch from the sidelines."

"Wouldn't want to get involved in some of that craziness." Sayuri giggled.

Yuka shared the laugh. "It would prove rather bad for our health."

Sayuri started to pick at her food. "It seems odd that Akane got married."

Yuka blinked. "How so? She was engaged to him for a year and a half and they love each other."

Sayuri pointed at her friend with her chopsticks. "Yes, but before then she screamed daily, 'I despise men!' or 'I hate boys!' And she's the first to get married and to someone who's, 'a man amongst men.'"

Yuka giggled. "Maybe she wanted to marry his girl half."

Sayuri laughed. "I doubt it."

---------------------------------------------------

"I hope they like the futon I picked out," Nodoka thought aloud as she walked to the restaurant section of the market. She stopped as she noticed Ukyou and Konatsu taking a broken table to the trash.

"Hello," Nodoka greeted.

Ukyou and Konatsu replied, "Hello."

Nodoka frowned at the girl. "I thought you would be at school now."

Ukyou shrugged weakly. "I don't feel up to going to school right now."

"What seems to be the matter?" Nodoka asked.

"Everything is wrong," Ukyou snapped.

Nodoka blinked at the outburst. "Why don't we talk about it? It would make you feel better."

"It couldn't hurt anymore than I feel now," Ukyou muttered.

The young chef led the woman into what used to be Ucchan's. Konatsu continued to clean up what was left of the place.

Nodoka was shocked at the damage. "What happened here?"

"I ripped the place apart," Ukyou answered unemotionally.

"Whatever for?" Nodoka demanded.

"I built this place out of my love for Ranma. I built it here so I could be near him. And if he had chosen me, I could have supported him. This place was a symbol of my love for him, and he rejected that love. This is what's left of that love," Ukyou finished as she waved her hand across the decimated room.

Nodoka patted the girl's shoulder. "Dear, Ranma didn't reject your love. He still cares for you. It's just that there is someone more important to him. He wants to stay friends with you..."

Ukyou angrily interrupted, "That's all I ever was! Just a friend! He never gave me chance to be more than friends. I wanted us to be married. Why didn't he choose me? I love him more than Akane ever could."

Nodoka gazed hardened at the girl. "Are you sure about that?"

Ukyou nodded firmly. "Even Ranma admitted I love him more than she does! He means everything to me and he left me behind. Again!"

"Why does he mean everything to you?" Nodoka asked firmly.

Ukyou looked the woman for a moment. "Because he's the first person to see the real me."

Nodoka seemed to be looking through the girl. "Did he really see the real you, or the you you wanted to be for him?"

Ukyou stood firm. "What he saw was the real me."

"From what Ranma told me about you, the Ukyou he knew would never have attacked him at the wedding attempt nor destroyed her own restaurant. Yet you've done both. You've been hiding behind masks your entire life, first as a guy and then as Ranma's cute, friendly fiancee. I suspect neither of them are the real you," Nodoka shot at her.

"Who am I then?" Ukyou asked sarcastically.

"I don't know," Nodoka admitted. "But, you've been given the opportunity to find out. You might even realize that you never really loved Ranma in the first place, but was in love with the idea of being in love with him."

Ukyou replied angrily, "But I love him, not some idea of love!"

"When you thought of your future with Ranma, was it always perfect?" Nodoka questioned seriously.

Ukyou nodded. "Of course."

Nodoka frowned at her. "Do you realize that if I asked Ranma or Akane that, they would say otherwise?"

Ukyou blinked. "Huh?"

"They realize their life will have problems, especially with the insanity my son seems to bring with him. They'll fight to make things better, because of their love for each other. They know a perfect ideal life is impossible for them," Nodoka explained.

Ukyou did not budge. "I could've made his life perfect."

"Are you willing to put up with the life my son leads? Not knowing if the animal that entered your home is really an animal or not. Having demons crash into your living room. Going a week without something magical or supernatural happening would be a rare event. Knowing that one of his adventures could be the death of him, you, or someone you care about. Have you ever thought of these things being part of your perfect life?" Nodoka verbally ripped apart the girl's fantasy.

Ukyou stared at Nodoka. She had never thought about his future in that context. It was always of him being a loving husband with him helping her or her helping him in their chosen professions. For some reason she felt the insanity would end with their marriage.

Ukyou, uncertain how to answer, asked, "Did you ask Akane this?"

Nodoka gave a curt nod. "Yes, after the first wedding attempt, when I realized just how much craziness my son's life has. Akane told me that her time in China proved to her how much she loves Ranma, and his love for her. Did you know they both almost died trying to save each other?"

"But I'd die for him too!" Ukyou protested.

Nodoka folded her arms. "Would you also put up with being kidnapped and used for bait?"

"I'd never get kidnapped," Ukyou defended.

"Really. Do you think you could fight off dozens of attackers that are all master martial artists? What if they fly? Use magic?" Nodoka pressed.

"I don't know." Ukyou looked at floor.

Nodoka put her hand on Ukyou's shoulder. "Dear. I think you've been living in a dream. A dream that ended with an outcome you didn't want. It's time you looked at things for what they really are, and not what you want them to be."

Nodoka's words struck at Ukyou. Everything she thought she knew about her life had just been shredded apart. What did she know? She knew how to make the best Okonomiyaki, but right now it seemed she didn't really know anything else.

Ukyou gave Nodoka a confused look. "I'll think about what you said. I need to get back to fixing this place."

"If you need to talk, call me," Nodoka told as she pulled a piece of paper and pen out of her purse and wrote down the number to the Saotome home. "If I'm not there, I'll be at the dojo."

Ukyou nodded and out of respectful habit replied, "Thanks."

----------------------------------------------------

"Akari?" Ryoga began, gazing at his girlfriend as they were eating lunch. "You're not completely over your old boy friend, are you?"

Akari shook her head, "I guess not. I thought I was, but talking about him brought back some memories. I guess there will always be a place in my heart for him, as Akane has in yours."

Ryoga nodded. "It gets easier, right?"

"You mean easier to not think about them?" Akari asked.

Ryoga shrugged. "I guess."

"It does get easier, and the pain of missing them also decreases over time," Akari admitted.

Ryoga smiled at her. "I'm lucky, I found someone before I lost Akane."

"It's too bad about Ukyou and Shampoo, though, from what I understand they don't have anyone else," Akari pointed out.

Ryoga nodded in agreement, "Especially Ukyou, besides Ranma, her only friends are Akane and Konatsu. And, well, you can guess what she thinks of Ranma and Akane right now."

"Maybe we should visit Nerima soon, and help," Akari suggested.

"That would be great," he smiled. While he was beginning to like staying at the Unryu farmhouse, he still disliked being near a pig farm.

----------------------------------------------------

After that little incident with Ukyou, Nodoka began to worry about the other people hurt by this marriage. Because of that she decided to drop by the Neko-hantan and check up on Shampoo. Besides, she was hungry- she hadn't had lunch yet.

"Nihao," Shampoo greeted sadly.

"Hello," Nodoka returned.

Shampoo led Nodoka to a seat. "What does mother-in... Ranma's mother want?"

After a second of looking at the menu, "I guess I'll have Pork Ramen. Oh, Shampoo, when you have some time I'd like to talk to you."

"No want to talk now," Shampoo protested.

Cologne appeared next to them and interrupted, "Shampoo would be happy to talk with you after the lunch rush is over."

"But..." Shampoo said before Cologne gave her a stern look. "Okay, talk with Ranma's mother later."

Cologne went back to the kitchen, hoping that Mrs. Saotome wanted to help Shampoo get over Ranma.

The young amazon walked over to her various customers. She talked to them in a sober voice. And, much to the dismay of the male clientele, she didn't bounce around like she normally did.

Shampoo had devoted her attention to the customers, until Nodoka was the only one left. She sighed and walked over to her. "Free to talk now."

"How are you feeling?" Nodoka wondered.

Shampoo began to study the floor. "Not good. Trying to understand why ai... Ranma chose tomboy over me."

Nodoka replied with a smile, "The simplest of reasons, love."

"But why Ranma love tomboy?" Shampoo demanded.

Nodoka shook her head. "I couldn't begin to even try to know all the reasons."

Shampoo pouted. "I am better than Akane in everything, Ranma should love me."

"Dear, if being better meant anything, I would never have fallen in love with Genma. Even after all his failings and mistakes, I still love him," Nodoka told her.

Shampoo blinked. "How love man who isn't even good panda?"

Nodoka shrugged. "I'll let you know when I figure it out."

Shampoo looked at the woman strangely. "Don't know?"

Nodoka shook her head, "No, I don't."

"One should love someone who's perfect, like Ranma," Shampoo protested.

Nodoka laughed. "No one is perfect. To truly love someone you need to recognize their failings, and accept or even prefer them."

"Ranma not perfect?" Shampoo was surprise anyone, especially his own mother, would say such a thing.

"If Ranma was perfect, would he have kept his relationships unresolved as long as did, lied to me about his curse, or insult someone he loves?" Nodoka asked seriously.

After a moment, Shampoo answered, "Do not think so."

"Akane recognizes these faults, and even sees some that aren't even there, and yet she loves him. Ranma also sees her faults and accepts them too," Nodoka explained.

Shampoo shook her head, "Thought I knew what love was. Now not so sure."

"Love is something that is unexplainable. If you can explain it, it's not love," Nodoka said sagely.

Shampoo let out a forced laugh. "Maybe should talk with Mousse, about this. Mousse can list why love me."

"Then maybe he doesn't really love you, he just thinks he does," Nodoka replied.

"Like I thought I love Ranma," Shampoo said soberly.

"While you may not have really loved him, it doesn't mean you don't have strong feelings for him that resemble love. You'll still miss him and yearn for him, but it may not have been true love," Nodoka offered.

"Not true love," Shampoo repeated as she turned away and walked off, lost in thought.

"Thank you. You've helped a lot," Cologne said as she arrived at the table.

"It's the least I could do, considering my son is the cause of her pain. If she needs someone to talk to, I'll being willing to listen." Nodoka handed the elderly woman a piece of paper.

Cologne smiled gratefully. "She just might take you up on that offer."

---------------------------------------------------

Ranma was awake in bed with Akane sleeping on him. He gently stroked her hair.

"You may be uncute, but now you're my uncute wife," he whispered.

Akane was not as asleep as she appeared. She opened her eyes, letting a hidden tear fall. "Ranma..." she sniffed. "Why do you still call me that? Do I really look that bad to you?"

He sighed. "Akane... I'm not insulting you by calling you uncute. And I'm not talking about how you look, either. You're a very beautiful woman, but you aren't cute."

Akane didn't quite look so sad, but now she looked very confused.

Ranma sighed. "You aren't some giggling school girl, you aren't some bubbly flirt, you don't act very... how do I put this... you aren't TOO feminine. You're cute enough- especially when you smile... but you're not what people generally consider cute. You don't fit the 'ideal' model- you're don't have Kasumi's innocence. You aren't a ditz like... say... someone like Azusa or Shampoo. You aren't subservient or child-like... you're too mature for me do consider you cute all of the time. I don't think I could have fallen in love with you like I did if you weren't..."

She snuggled closer to him. "Well, I guess I might not have fallen in love with someone who wasn't a bit of a pervert."

"Who is calling who a pervert? You're the one that seduced me," Ranma shot at her.

---------------------------------------------------

Genma looked up from play shogi when his wife entered their home. "What took you so long?

Soun quickly cheated thanks to the distraction.

"It would seem that Ranma's manliness has truly hurt some girls," Nodoka noted, ignoring what her husband's best friend was doing. "I had a chat with Ukyou and Shampoo."

Genma frowned. "What did you say to them?"

Nodoka frowned. "I tried to down play their feelings for Ranma. I know they love him, but it would not do well for them to obsess over him."

Genma laughed nervously. "Here I was afraid you'd suggest they should become his mistresses."

Soun scowled. "Akane nor I would appreciate that."

"I wouldn't do such a thing. Ranma taking on a mistress would be ill advised." Nodoka looked hurt at the accusation.

Soun nodded. "Good."

Nodoka continued, "We don't know if Akane is going to have a son yet. And if those girls were to be his mistresses now, they would try to be his wife. Once Ranma has a proper heir and Akane had gotten over her silly issues with jealousy, then he can take on mistresses who know their place. We don't want him to be with some home-wrecker after all, just a nice good female friend willing to offer a sympathetic ear and her body to help Ranma relieve his stress. Ukyou may be a good choice if she gets over her silly notions of wanting to be his wife."

Soun promptly fell over from shock.

---------------------------------------------------

Ukyou laid in bed, eyes open, staring at the ceiling. Had she been living in a dream that had become a nightmare? She had deluded herself into thinking Ranma loved her as much as she loved him. But he didn't love her. He loved someone else. She should have seen it sooner, but that would have destroyed 'her perfect world.'

She rolled to her side. Did Ranma ever really see her true self? Did she even know who was the real 'Ukyou?' Did she really want to have the 'perfect life' she had imagined, and end up like Kasumi? A subservient person to Ranma's wishes. She thought that was what he wanted because Akane wasn't like that.

Maybe that was the problem. Ranma chose Akane because she wasn't like that, that she would stand up to challenges his life brings to her. That one day, if he didn't come home, she would move on.

What about all that insanity in his life? Could Ukyou have lived with it? She would have tried. She loved him enough to put up with that craziness. But could Akane hold up to the craziness?

Ukyou sighed, knowing that answer. Yes, Akane could put up with it. The girl had been putting up with it since she met him.

What about what Nodoka said about whether she was really in love with Ranma, or was she just in love with the idea of being in love? No, she loved him. He meant everything to Ukyou. She just didn't mean as much to him as he did to her. Was it his fault he loved someone else? He could have at least attempted to try a relationship with her. But then, what if he did try and it didn't work out? Could they have been friends afterwards?

Why couldn't he have loved her? She was always there for him. If he needed help or someone to talk to, she was there.

Why was she even thinking about this? It didn't matter anymore. She was just going to have to learn how to live without him. There was one thing she could do first, though, and that was to get revenge on him for stringing her along like he did.

---------------------------------------------------

Nabiki muttered about curses about how crappy the day already was and it was just starting. She sloshed into class, soaked from pouring bitterly cold January rains. She really didn't like the longer amount of time it took to get to school from Nodoka's home. Seeing Kuno's bright cheery face this morning didn't help matters.

She sat down at her desk and opened her school bag. When she went to place a couple books into the desk, she felt something was in there. Something she did not remember putting there. She bent over to take a peek inside. Her eyes widen at what she saw. It took her a couple seconds to regain composure. She didn't remove it. Rather, she proceeded to empty her book-bag into her desk to keep anyone from seeing it. Once done, she noticed that Kuno's smile was much bigger and that he was failing rather badly at looking inconspicuous.

---------------------------------------------------

After school, in the auditorium of Furinkan High School, a large number of guys were in a meeting.

"Now that Akane has married Ranma, we must disband the Tendo Akane Fan Club. But, we can form a new club and set our goals on another girl," the guy at the podium announced. He pressed a button on the podium and a picture was displayed on the screen behind him. "This girl, Shampoo, is an Amazon. Unlike Akane, defeating her in battle will not get you a date with her, but married to her!"

"Why Shampoo? I think we should go after Ukyou," one of the guys retorted.

"Look at Shampoo! She is beyond cute. How could you prefer that cross-dresser?" another guy shouted.

"She doesn't have a homicidal maniac chasing away her suitors," answered yet another guy.

"Hey, what about Kodachi? She's gorgeous," one guy suggested before being thrown out.

"Let's put it to a vote. All in favor of Shampoo raise your hand," stated the guy at the podium. He quickly counted the hands. "Now, those in favor of Ukyou." After he finished counting, he announced, "Twenty-three votes for Shampoo and twenty-three votes for Ukyou. Hey, how can we have forty-six votes from forty-one people?"

"Simple, some of us just want to get a girl," a guy shouted.

The guy at the podium smacked himself in the head, and then his eyes got wide as an idea hit him. "I got it! We'll make two clubs. One club goes after Shampoo, and the other Ukyou."

Most of the guys nod in agreement. After hours of bickering and nit-picking the two clubs were formalized, the Get Married to Shampoo Club or GMSC and the Ucchan Fan Club.

---------------------------------------------------

Nabiki stayed late at school. She always found one thing or another to help her make money while there. This afternoon it was the formation of the two clubs designed to snare Ranma's ex-fiancees. The GMSC promised to be the more profitable of the two.

While making money was her normal reason to stay late at school, it was far from the only reason today. She didn't want anyone to see what someone had put in her desk. It was a couple hours after school and most of the sport teams were already on the way home. She decided now would be the time to get the item. She removed the books from her desk and placed them into her school bag. She then reached in and pulled out the item, a bouquet of red roses. She inhaled the aroma of the sweet pollen, bringing a smile to her lips. She noticed the card attached and read it.

To one whose beauty outshines the morning star,
and whose cunning and intellect exceeds others by far.

with love,
Your Secret Admirer.

Nabiki couldn't stop laughing, "Secret admirer! Who's he kidding! Ranma could figure this one out." She breathed in the fragrance of the roses again. "Well, it is kind of sweet." She smiled as she carefully placed the roses into a large paper bag that she had brought with her. She left feeling that it had been a very good day.

---------------------------------------------------

A truck with Nerima Furniture written on its side sat in front of the Saotome/Tendo home. Two men stood at the front door and knocked. A disheveled looking girl that was awfully short to have such large breasts answered the door.

"What do you want?" the girl demanded.

The taller of the two men said, "We're here to deliver a futon couch to a Saotome Ranma."

She replied, "I'm him."

The delivery men blinked simultaneously.

"If you would sign here, we can bring it in," the shorter man said.

He handed Ranma a clipboard and pen. Ranma looked it over for a second before signing it.

An equally disheveled girl with short black hair entered the hallway and asked, "Ranma, who's at the door?

"It's the delivery men with our wedding present from my Mom," Ranma answered.

The other girl nodded. "Oh. Better clean up our room while they get it."

Ranma handed back the clipboard, "You can bring it upstairs."

The two men looked stupefied. They turned around and went to get the bed from the truck.

"Wedding present?" the taller man muttered, "Aren't they both girls?"

The shorter man mused, "Changing times I guess."

When they returned, they saw the same short-haired black girl helping a guy with wet and very muscular young man dressed exactly the same as the big-chested girl, move a mattress.

"You can put our futon in that room," Ranma said as he pointed.

They shook their heads in disbelief. Both silently agreeing that it would best to finish the job and leave.

---------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes:

How many of you doubt this chapter will be the only mention of Akari's old boy friend? Well, if you did doubt it, shame on you. He'll show up in volume 4.

For those who can't figure out who is Nabiki's secret admire. Tough! I won't tell you. I gave you more than enough hints.

Future volumes:
Volume 2 - Reflections and Changes. Initial reactions of Ranma cast.

Volume 3 - Anything Goes Martial Dance Contest. Furinkan Junior/Senior 'Prom.'

Volume 4 - Substitute Teacher.
Ranma's history teacher is sick, so a substitute is called in, Godai. How does everyone's favorite ronin turned teacher deal with Furinkan High. Also intro Akari's ex-boyfriend, Putafuji Hitochi, with this volume.