Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Winds of Change ❯ Calm After the Storm ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winds of Change

----------

AN: Hi! Good to have you around for the second chapter and happy reading.

----------

Disclaimer: I do not own the world of Ranma ½ in any way I just like to play around in the sandpit created by Takahashi Sensei. I don’t make any money by writing this so keep your lawyers at bay!

----------

Chapter 2: Calm After the Storm

----------

To say that flight was not one of Ranma Saotome’s preferred means of travel was an understatement. Sure, it was a quick means of getting around. It was just that the take-off. It was rather painful. There was also the problem of its unpredictable nature. One would never know the destination before the trajectory of the flight went into a decline. And of course, there was the ever-present problem of landing in the middle of a densely built-in city. There were many things that could go wrong. Not to mention the problems arising from landing in a place he really shouldn’t.

For example the time he ended up in the confines of the city prison. To say that the guard personnel was shocked by the sudden new-arrival... It was an understatement. The problem was usually how to keep people in. Not to keep them out. A teen LANDING in the yard. That was something they definitely did not expect.

“That one was hell of a situation to be in!” thought the boy grimacing at the memory. He was lucky that the warden proved to be understanding. Accepting the fact that the intruder’s, presence was not a choice of his own free will. Although, that was a rather weak defence. That part could be said for every single person present in the complex regardless which side of the law they were.

The boy's thoughts returned to the present as the curve of his flight reached its apogee. From here on all paths let down. The part he hated the most about these flights was getting closer. This time the trip was much shorter. He was still in Nerima. Probably because he went through a wall during the process of take-off.

“At least the walk will be short.” he mused silently. “She usually only does this once or twice a week. This is the fifth, and it’s only Wednesday. Sheesh!”

Ranma flew on. The area of impact was getting closer. Relief washed across him. He had a veritable runway to contend with this time around.

“Nice!” he called out, happy to have a clear path.

The point of landing drew closer. With some luck, he might be even able to achieve a clear touchdown and slow down without an actual impact. He did have the forward momentum for that. The conditions were much better than the afternoon before. The sea landing had turned rather awry as a huge freighter sailed right into his path. The crew of the boat didn’t look too happy about the results. Must have been the fact that their airborne visitor trashed TWO of their precious steel cargo containers. And just walk away from such a thing! People are not supposed to survive that!

Ranma took up the necessary landing position. Legs slightly bent to lessen the impact, ready to run the necessary length to decrease his velocity. He had a free lane for it and he was ready to take full advantage of it.

The houses of the city rose around him as his descent continued. A few seconds later. Touchdown! The force was enough to break a regular man’s leg. To make the person’s bone snap like a twig. For the boy, it was relatively soft. Just like some commercial flight he kept on going, running, doing his best to bleed speed without falling over. No, fountain, no ladle lady, no exposed pipes or hoses were in sight. Everything was perfect. At least he thought so until a random girl turned onto the street just in front of him. Her eyes were downcast. Focused on the ground in front of her. Walking right at him.

“Out of the way!” hollered Ranma knowing well there was no chance avoiding the collision. It didn’t matter. He had to try. The girl barely had time to look up before she was tackled. Ranma took hold of her waist and cradled her against his form in an effort to protect her from harm. However, at some point, he stumbled.

A pebble. A little stone. The little grain in his well-thought-out plan was enough. The perfect landing ended up in a tumble with him doing his utmost to keep the girl from harm’s way. He could take it, but that could most probably not be said about an average resident of the ward.

After a series of somersaults, the two came to a halt. Her on her back, groaning. Ranma on top, dizzy from the last tumble where he had the choice of banging his head against the ground or letting her do it instead. The choice was obvious. And it hurt!

“You okay?” he asked fighting against a splitting headache. His answer came in the form of a long groan. Concern grew within him.

“Is this how you get engaged to so many girls?” she asked weakly.

“I’d prefer if I had none!” he responded trying to untangle his limbs from hers. It was easier said than done. Her faint aroma. Peaches, mixed with lavender. It was intoxicating. He opened his eyes to face see a sea of brown hair. The source of the alluring scent. He wondered if it was some aphrodisiac. A part of another plot. The entrance of another fiancé. “Would one more really matter at this point?” he thought.

“Do you mind?” asked the girl.

Ranma heard the unspoken threat within. “Sorry!” he apologised as he slowly took his weight from her form. His senses protested against this action. They wanted more of her aroma. He fought off that desire. His day had been interesting enough. He didn’t want to push it.

His vision still blurry, he placed a palm on the ground to steady himself. He didn’t want to fall on the girl and make an embarrassing situation even worse. The cobblestone of the street felt strangely… squishy. Its texture, like the fabric of a woollen pullover. The softness underneath… His mind went blank for a second.

“Shit!” hollered his brain. His senses became rapidly aware of his surroundings. His body went rigid. To make things perfect his hand. The one resting on the girl. It was supporting a great deal of his weight. He stared blankly into her auburn eyes. Unable to move an inch. Another second later the slap had come. An open-handed, strike to his right cheek. The power behind the blow was nowhere near that was necessary to cause him any pain but more than enough to snap him out of his stupor. He crawled backwards on all four giving the girl more than enough space to sit up.

She did so amidst a series of pained grunts. Ranma stared at her. Silently waiting for the inevitable assault. It didn’t come. The girl didn't yell, she didn’t pull out some heavy object. She just sat there. By all accounts irritated, but otherwise peaceful.

“Did you have to squeeze that hard!?” she asked, annoyed.

“It was an accident! Honest!” he responded, waving his hand around like a madman.

For a few seconds, she stared at him. Her face, unreadable. As if something had just occurred to her. Then. Realization. Clarity. Her expression changed again. It had become a portrait of sorrow. Of fear.

“No!” she spoke. Her words carrying a dramatic tone. “I’ve been sullied by you! I need you to take responsibility for your actions!”

Rama released a startled sound. His brain struggled to process the information it just received. He shook his head in denial. His previous thoughts about getting saddled with another fiancé came back to haunt him. “I swear, it wasn’t on purpose!” he called out. He couldn’t believe it. Two new brides on one day. It was more than he could deal with.

And that was only part of the mess. He knew this girl. The two of them might have not been close, but there was someone else who was really close to her. Her name was Kobayashi. Yuka Kobayashi. She was one of Akane’s best friends. If the news ever got to his long-time fiancé… “I’m dead! Capital letter D-E-A-D!” he thought. He had to avoid gaining this new fiancé at all costs.

“Hey, look…” he began. Hoping against all hope. “Can’t we just forget this all happened?”

The girl facing him was silent for a few moments. Then her face turned into a portrayal of utter horror. Her hands rushed to her face as she broke down in sobs. “Do you really discard me after all that you have done?” she asked through tears. “How will I ever have a family of my own now that you have taken my innocence from me!” she wailed.

Ranma stiffened visibly. His protests ceased in their entirety. He didn’t notice the telltale grin on the girl’s face. “You truly deny me my husband!” she called out. The boy was beyond any capability of reasoning. He just stared, mumbling incoherently. At times a word of denial made it though.

It was at this point where the girl lost control of her facade. She collapsed on the ground amidst laughter. Ranma stared with mouth agape. He was completely done. Wondering if it was her or him who had gone nuts. He rushed to her side promising everything under the stars. The girl’s laughter increased making him panic even more.

“Thanks, Saotome!” she said with mirth. “I needed a good laugh!” she further explained.

“Good laugh?” he asked. “Needed that? But, but, but…” His ability of speech failed him a second time. He stared. The girl’s face. There were no tears. There was no hint of madness to be found. It dawned on him. He had been had. He let out a long groan as relief washed across him.

“I take it Akane decided to give you a little lift in getting somewhere?” she asked with amusement.

“You can say that!” answered Ranma. The emotional roller-coaster ride he had been an involuntary passenger to was easily up there with some of the biggest scares of his recent past, and there were a lot. “So... you know... you’re not my latest betrothed or somethin’, Kobayashi?”

The girl smiled and shook her head. “Don’t take this, the wrong way, Saotome, but I’d rather marry a gorilla. Too much crazy in your life for my taste.” Ranma breathed a sigh of relief.“So…” the girl asked. “What did you do to make Akane blow her gasket this time? You two have been arguing more and more lately, and I stating to get really worried about you guys!”

Ranma snorted. “Who knows with that macho chick!?” he blurted out. “First she knocks me straight out into the middle of Tokyo Bay! Almost gets me arrested for attacking a dammed ship! Then when I get home she accuses me of cheating! Seriously, if we were married, or something I might get where she was coming from. Hell, if I actually did cheat on her I would understand!” Ranma’s outburst trailed off as he regained control of his emotions.

“Anyway, I don’t want to burden you with it,” he said slowly getting to his feet. “It’s all nuts! The whole mess! One is obsessed with me because of a scam my father made, she’s like a bro… sister to me! The other just wants me to marry her because I beat her in a fight over food! Food! The third one I don’t even know! Dad probably scammed her father too! As for Akane! She’s more likely to kick me across town rather than hear me out!”

“And Kodachi?” asked the girl.

“Don’t even mention that asylum escapee!” snapped Ranma louder than he intended. “Sorry! Long day!” he said offering a hand.

“Apology, accepted!” Yuka responded as he pulled her up to her feet. He was surprised how light she was, how soft and delicate her fingers felt. Much unlike those of martial artists who had spent years hardening themselves against injury. For a split second, he felt a hint of her aroma again. He did his best to act as if he was unaffected by it.

“So, as I understand, you had an argument, you called her something and she sent you on… a little trip? Is that it?” inquired the girl. “You know you could try being nicer to her!”

Ranma shrugged.

“You know I’m right!” responded the girl pressing her point.

“If it was only that easy!” countered Ranma.

“It is Saotome!”

“No it isn’t!” snapped the boy starting to move away from her. He was not in the mood for this conversation. The girl rushed after him not intending to let the issue go.

“Yes it is!” she called after him.

The boy turned around to face her. “Is it?” he asked. “Do you know what our parents are like?” he asked. That simple question was enough to bring her to a halt.

“I don’t,” she admitted.

“Well you certainly don’t want to know,” he responded angrily as he turned to leave. The girl stared at him not knowing what to say. After a few steps, he looked back at her. “Kobayashi, you should go home. It’s not safe for a girl like you to walk out alone so late in the night!”

The girl stared at the back of the retreating boy unsure if she should be angry with him or not. He did mean well, just the way his words had come out. It took her a few seconds before she regained her bearing and rushed after him. “Where do you think you’re going, Saotome!” she called out as she ran to catch up with him.

“Somewhere,” he responded as he kept walking. The girl fell into step alongside him.

“What if I want to know?” she asked.

“You certainly are a nosy one!?” he remarked.

“Yup!” she responded with a nod and a smile.

The boy closed his eyes. He was contemplating. Yuka was surprised how he turned into a street and avoided a low-hanging plant that hung right in his path with his eyes closed. Most people would have walked straight into the ceramic pot. “All right, Kobayashi!” he responded opening his eyes once again. “But if I hear any of it back I’ll be really angry!” he warned.

“I swear!” she answered. “So what do your parents have to do with everything?”

Ranma pocketed his hands casually as he walked on. “About everything,” he said. “They were who started this whole engagement nonsense. Me and Akane barely knew each other for an hour and boom! We are engaged!” he explained.

“Okay, go on!”

“Well, ever since then, they’ve been on our case to get married. You should have seen some of the things they pulled. We’d be standing in front of a priest if any of us would even say as much as 'I like you!'”

“But why does it matter!? You and Akane like each other, don’t you!?

“We’re eighteen! We aren’t nearly ready to get married!”

“But you almost got married a few months ago!” exclaimed Yuka.

“More like got tired of their pestering!” came Ranma’s answer in what was almost a growl.

“I don’t even know where I stand with her!” he admitted. “Sure, she can be nice, but most of what we do is arguing. Especially nowadays.”

The conversation became silent as the two wandered along the empty street. Both on deep thought.

“Do you like her?” asked Yuka.

Ranma stopped halting both of them. He thought hard. “Well…” he began hesitantly. “Yeah, I guess I like her, but is that love?” he asked. “I’ve been always there when she was in trouble, or at least I tried to. Sometimes we can get along fine. And she can be really cute at times. But we simply... lately I...”

“Lately what?” came the girl’s question.

“I don’t even know what love is!” admitted the boy. “And with our parents breathing down our necks we don’t even have the chance to explore it. Frankly, I’m sick and tired of the entire situation.”

“Then why don’t you just end it?”

“Easier said than done, Kobayashi!” Ranma's pace slowed down as his gaze dropped to the ground. He was obviously thinking hard about something. “You’ve seen my other fiancés. They would not take 'No' for an answer. Besides I don’t want to hurt anybody.”

“You know you will have to at one point!”

Ranma remained silent.

“You know this can’t go on for long! It’s too absurd!”

“I know!” he answered. “What about you, Kobayashi? What are you doing out so late?” he said hoping to change the topic.

“Just a stroll.” responded the girl.

Ranma did not believe a word of it. “It’s the middle of the night!” he exclaimed the boy. “It’s not safe for you!”

The girl shrugged.

“I really mean it! It can get dangerous!” he insisted.

Yuka gave out a chuckle. “This is Nerima remember?” she spoke, her voice amused. “The place is full of martial artists! A mugger, thief, or whatever has to be either suicidal or completely nuts to ply their trade here. Most of those who HAD tried are now in the psychic ward.”

“True,” he responded. Ranma was well aware of that. He had to fly quite some distance from home lately if he wanted to have some fun with the less lawful parts of society. He found that somewhat inconvenient as he considered interacting with them a good way to try some basic techniques. And a good way to spend time if he was bored. “So why are you out in the street in the first place?” he asked happy to change the topic.

“I told you already! Just a stroll!”

“You’re an awfully bad liar, you know that!?”

“Sayuri and Akane are always telling me that.”

Ranma smirked. “Now you’ve got it from me too then.”

Yuka smiled at him. “Apparently,” she admitted.

“So what’s your real deal?” he asked.

“How about a deal, Saotome?”

“What about it?”

“Next time you drop by I’ll tell you.”

“Trying to wriggle your way out are you?” he remarked.

“My attempt any good?” she asked.

“I’ll let you get away with it this time!” he answered with a smirk.

“You are so gallant!” she responded, smiling.

Ranma smirked. “I always am!”

“And humble!” she countered.

“And meek my lady! You can’t forget meek!” came Ranma’s retort.

The two teens looked at each other for a few seconds. Then they laughed. It was merry laughter that echoed across the street.

“A practical jokester! I never would have guessed! You always struck me as the serious type!” she remarked.

“Never had much time for it! You know, monsters, kidnappers, idiot father engaging me to a dozen girls then forcing one of those deals,” he explained. “The moron! It doesn’t work like that! You can’t just force it! It either comes or it doesn’t!” he went silent he found himself genuinely surprised by his own words.

“Well, I would have never guessed Saotome! You never struck me as the romantic type or someone who has any idea of these things.”

“Don’t even go there! I don’t know what the word means, but I’m supposed to make a choice that could affect my whole life!”

“Then just try it! Choose somebody! Date her and you can figure it out!” reasoned Yuka.

“No shit, Sherlock!” Ranma commented.

The girl bristled. “Hey! Manners, Saotome!” she warned.

“All right, all right! Sorry! It was just a remark! Geez, you women are so touchy!”

“Try again Saotome! No wonder Akane has you airborne all the time with that mouth of yours!”

“I said, I’m sorry!”

“Not, genuinely, you haven't! “

“What do you mean, Kobayashi? I AM sorry!”

“Doesn't feel like it!” she informed.

“But I said, it!” he responded his tone mimicking that of a little boy.

“Try again, and make it real!” she informed with a hint of irritation.

“I’m genuinely sorry for sounding like an absolute douche!” he pronounced. “There! Better!?” he asked.

“Not quite, but it’ll pass for now,” she responded.

“Thanks!” he answered warily. “I guess,” he after a short pause.

“Already ten times better than my stupid parents!” she muttered more to herself rather than anyone else.

“What did you say?” asked Ranma not catching all of what she had said.

“Nothing, nothing!” she responded hastily. “It’s... something personal. Family matter. Nothing you should bother with.”

“If you say so,” responded Ranma, his voice showing a hint of concern.

The two kept going. Walking silently into the night. Unable to utter a single word, but happy to have some form of a company. The night grew colder, but they decided to ignore it. At least as long they could. A breeze rushed across the street making the girl shiver. The clothes she was wearing were not enough to ward off the early spring chill. The wind air invaded the gaps in her outfit knowing no mercy.

Not more than a few moments later she felt something getting draped across her shoulder. Her head snapped over to her companion only to see him naked from the waist up. His shirt, that flimsy silk thing. He relinquished it without the slightest hesitation.

“Hell, no!” she exclaimed. “Put that thing back on this instant!” she demanded.

“No, you are cold!” he responded.

“Aren't you?” she asked, incredulous.

“I'm a man!” he responded sternly.

“It's freezing out here!”

“I can take it!” Ranma insisted.

“You’ll get sick!” she insisted.

“I’ve been through worse!”

“As if that’s any consolation to me!” she rebuffed trying to take his shirt off.

“You can give it back once I took you home!” he insisted grabbing the girl’s hand to stop her from taking the shirt off. She came to a halt surprised at just how warm his hands felt. At his firm yet gentle hold at the roughness of his skin. “No argument, Kobayashi. It’s too cold outside!” he spoke his voice commanding yet concerned at the same time. She risked a glance up at his face. He was giving her one of his usual confident smirks. When her eyes met his her gaze snapped over to the ground unable to meet his. “Let me do what I know best!” he insisted.

“And what would that be?” asked the girl keeping her eyes down feeling shy.

“I protect people! It's what martial artists are for!” he answered sincerely. He adjusted the way he held her hand. The brunette blushed. The way their hands were connected now. One would think... “Which way do you live?” he asked interrupting her thoughts. She answered without hesitation. She felt compelled to do it for some reason. “I know where that is! Let’s go!” he said pulling her along.

Yuka followed him as he rushed across the deserted streets, glancing at him every now and then. Her hand still in his. She saw him shiver, she knew that the cold was starting to get to him too. “Akane...” she thought. “You’re such an idiot!”

----------

“So let me get this straight!” remarked the female alien as she floated around in the dimly lit cockpit. “You want to let out the remaining air we have and have us wear pressure suits for three full days while we limp all the way to the planet.”

“That’s about it!” responded the male as he donned the arm of his protective gear.

“Captain, with all due respect. Stick it up you cloaca!”

“Noted! And rejected! My cloaca is sufficiently clean and maintained! It is something that can’t be said about our hull! This ship is barely keeping it together as it is.”

“Can’t we wait with the repairs? The air in here is still breathable and will be for a day or so!” reasoned the subordinate.

“You want to burn up on atmospheric incursion? Because that might happen if the navigation shield breaks down and the hull is faulty!” explained the captain.

“Isn’t there anything else we could do?” asked the woman.

“You have three choices.” explained the captain grabbing for his helmet. “Asphyxiate while we wait for rescue in orbit, burn up on entry, or wear the suit. Choose!”

The female alien looked at the captain. “Is there an option four?” she asked.