Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Winds of Change ❯ Warmth ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winds of Change

 


----------

 

AN: This chapter was quite the rodeo for me. What you see is version 'F' and the first one I actually think is acceptable in quality. All the others had one or another problem that was disruptive to the story as a whole.

Hope you guys like it!

----------

 

Disclaimer: I do not own the world of Ranma ½ in any way I just like to play around in the sandpit created by Takahashi Sensei. I don’t make any money by writing this so keep your lawyers at bay!

----------

 

Chapter 6: Warmth

----------

 

A dark figure rushed through the night leaping from rooftop to rooftop. He was quiet, but not really stealthy. The white coat he had tucked under an arm was quite the giveaway. He stopped at a corner, at the edge, he peered down checking the streets below. Seconds later on the figure moved on with leaps impossible to most humans. After going some distance he stopped and checked again. He waited and watched. Searching. After a few seconds, he was off again.

 

Where is she?” he thought while moving on. All he was sure of was that she was out there. Somewhere in the cold night. She was most definitely not at home. That much he was sure of. That was the first place he had checked once he decided to seek her out. To ask for her help. He was in desperate need. The past one and a half days had been torture for him. He needed someone to talk to. Someone who would listen to him. Someone who was ready to hear his side of the story without judging him.

 

The people around him. Almost all treated him as if he had the leper or something the like. The way Akane was acting around him. Avoiding him. Her eyes. The way she had looked at him. It reminded Ranma of the beginning of their relationship. Of the time they barely knew a thing about one another. It was the same look of dismay, even disgust, which he had seen back then. There was also the silence. And a heavy feeling that seemed to linger throughout the entire house. It was slowly but surely eating away at him. After almost two days it was starting to get to him.

Then there were the other occupants of the house.

 

Soun Tendo with his near-constant demands to make his little girl happy again. His mother, her resentful eyes. Her hand, which always seemed to linger just a tad bit too close to the hilt of her sword. His father, Genma demanding him to act like a man and to make things right. If it was easy say!  Even Kasumi was different. The disappointed look on her face and the smaller servings made it obvious. Ranma just couldn't take it anymore. He needed to escape. To get away from it all.

 

Ranma stopped. He checked the street below then he was off again. Leap after leap. On the lookout. He had a second reason to be out in the dark. He was worried about the girl. About Yuka. He had heard the ongoing argument at her home. The screaming the yelling. It was obvious that something significant had happened there. He knew she to was miserable. He wanted to be there for her. To help her. To make sure she's safe.

 

Ranma came to a stop once more. He peered down into the street. Nothing. He was about to move on when he heard a clatter. A pebble, a small rock tumbling across the pavement. The silence of the night magnified the barely audible sounds. It could be just another passer-by. Or, if he was lucky, it could be her. He had to check. He immediately rushed into the general direction of the disturbance.

 

He landed on the tiled roof with a minor thud. The wood creaked below him. He leaned over the edge to scout the road below. Almost immediately spotted the one he was looking for. She was cold that much was obvious. Her hands were wrapped tightly around her midriff, hugging her pink blouse to her form as she fought to conserve heat. The tight-fitting jeans she wore emphasised every curve of her slender legs but barely provided any real protection against the elements. The bright red high heels helped to show off her figure even more. Ranma would have stared if not for the contrast.

 

The way she held herself, it told stories about her state of mind. Her walk, her heavy, burdened steps, shoulders slumped, head down. It told him everything he needed to know. The girl’s day had been just as bad as his. If not worse. He resisted the need to rush over to her. To hold her close. The memory of their past meetings came back to him. He was sure she would appreciate if he didn't startle her yet again by popping out of nowhere.

 

Down in the street, Yuka kicked the stone yet again sending it tumbling. She smirked as another scratch appeared on the shoe's polished nose. It was her mother's favorite. In her haste to leave the argument and the ruined family dinner, she had grabbed it on the way out without checking. By now her feet were killing her, but she couldn't keep the vindictive smile off her lips.

 

"Good!" she thought with grim determination. "I hope this thing will be ruined by the time the night is over!" She knew it was childish and petty, she knew she would be getting in trouble for it but she didn't care. It was worth it!

"Some birthday gift!" she muttered angrily shaking her head. "A family dinner with all of my cousins telling me how great it is to be a doctor! Ranting that I must go to a medical school!" she thought bitterly. "Did they really think that it would work? Do they even care what I want with my life?"

 

She had endured the torture for two hours before blowing up. The moment of her detonation was still fresh in her mind. Replaying itself over and over. She knew she had said some hurtful things, she really should have not. Not that she planned to retract any of t in the near future. It was time somebody dished out a dose of reality to those pompous people.

 

"At least they haven't tried to have me married off yet!" she contemplated kicking the stone again. "It won't be long now!" she summarised glumly. "Bastards!"

 

There was a sudden noise. The girl stiffened. Eyes darted around searching for the source. Her hards moved to her pocket. She let out a silent curse. Her pocket. It was empty. She bit back on the curse that almost escaped her.

 

Ranma rushed past the girl on top of the roof. He wanted to land a good deal ahead as not to startle her. He hopped down to the street. Assured that he hadn't scared her. When he landed and turned to her he saw that he was not as stealthy as he hoped. Yuka was looking straight at him with a series of emotions on her face. He found it hard to categorise it. There were so many at once.

 

Surprise, relief, longing, anger, sadness even a tiny amount of fear. There were many other emotions he had trouble putting a finger to. He took a step forward. Unsure what to say, or even how to act. It was strange. Usually, it was so easy to talk to her. This evening it was different. It was as if a wall had been erected between the two of them.

 

He took step towards her. To his shock, she took a step away. Keeping their distance a constant. “Um… Yuka...” he spoke carefully, hesitantly. “I… I… came to see you.”

 

The girl’s gaze met his. “About what Saotome!” she asked her voice cold, defensive, even hostile.

 

A cold shiver rushed across Ranma, but not because of the environment around him. The way she had said his name. His family name at that. Fear was starting to rise within him. Fear that he had ruined something he didn’t even know they had until this point.

 

At the same time, he noticed something. The girl. While she was obviously keeping her distance he saw something in her eyes. The way both moonlight and the rays of the streetlamps seemed to shimmer, to reflect off those chocolate orbs. Her gaze was more like that of a frightened deer than an angry predator. She was searching for comfort, for safety. He longed to give her that comfort, that safety. But there was an elemental rage within her making her stay away.

 

"I just wanted to see you," he said. "And give you this!" he said holding out the coat for her to take.

 

The girl's eyes locked onto the piece of clothing yet she didn’t move. She remained still. Shivering.

 

"From you?" she asked her eyes narrowing. "I rather freeze to death out here!"

 

Ranma retracted his hand feeling hurt. He found himself hugging the coat. A meagre condolence in his mind. His eyes traveled to the ground. "I guess Akane had told you," he stated.

 

"You can bet your ass she has!" snapped Yuka. "I've spent most of yesterday trying to cheer her up! Do you have any idea what you have done to her!?"

 

At that moment Ranma felt alone. More alone than ever in his life. He kept staring at the ground, unable to meet her gaze. His usual confidence was already in tatters. Her reaction to his presence didn't make things better. He knew he was not exactly innocent, but the punishment was getting too much. "I know, I should have told her right at the beginning, " he admitted silently. "I know! I messed up. By the time it dawned on me I was too deep."

 

"Messed up?" asked the girl angrily. "Akane, Ryoga, Pig!" she yelled. "Does that ring a bell!" she yelled. "That Pig had been sleeping in your bride's bed! And you allowed it! If you had pulled that stunt with me you'd be my ex in a heartbeat!"

 

Ranma went silent at her outburst. Her words were like a punch to the gut. The worst of it all was that she was completely in the right. He gazed at the ground unable to look at her. “Yuka...”

 

It’s Kobayashi to you Saotome!”

 

Ranma didn’t understand why, but Yuka’s words hurt him more than any punch could have. He fought the emotion surging across him. A rush of rage passed through his body. An almost primal growl escaped his lips. “Why does nobody ever listen to my side of the story! Damn it! Do you think I wanted this? Do you think I like this?” he screamed before wiping the few tears that escaped him away. He was determined not to cry. He was a man!

 

The girl took an involuntary step away from him. She knew how strong he was. She knew how much it took to set him off. Her own actions from earlier. When she unleashed her own rage against her family. The memory came back to haunt her now that she came to experience it from the opposite side.

 

I’m sick and tired to be everyone’s scapegoat!” he screamed on completely out of it. “Do you think I was the only one who knew about that clueless idiot?” he roared. “Do you think I haven’t tried to get him out of her room?” he screamed. “The last time I tried to get that damn pest she threw a god-damn dumbbell at me!” he hollered, he was running out of breath but fury he kept going. “I just wanted to talk with someone, anyone!"

Ranma stopped to take a deep breath. Yuka seriously considered running. "Someone who'd just listen to me! Someone who'd hear my side of the story for a change.” he finished, he didn't yell. He sounded tired, very tired.

 

Yuka stared at the boy in sheer shock. His words were slowly but surely starting to sink in. “What do you mean you weren’t the only one who knew?” she asked taking a tentative step closer.

 

There was no answer. Ranma just stood there waves of anger leaving his body. For a second she would have sworn she had seen it. A glow around the boy. She took another step. This time towards him.

 

Ranma was breathing hard. He was sure half the district had heard him. He didn’t care about it. His arms and legs felt heavy at the same time he felt as if he was floating in the air. As if he was falling from some really high place. He saw the girl that had set him off. He saw her mouth move, but it all sounded muffled. He saw her moving towards him no longer staying away from him. He was not in the mood for another slap or the like. He had had it! With this place. With the fiancé mess! With everything! He turned to leave.

 

His exit however was hindered by a slender hand grabbing him. “Wait!” she yelled. Ranma was not in the mood. He wanted to rip his arm from her weak grasp. It would have been so easy. Yet he couldn’t.

 

I… I want to listen,” she called out. "I... I'm sorry I didn't know the whole story."

 

Ranma's gaze snapped to her for a moment before he looked away. He couldn’t let her see it. His tears. “Men don’t cry. Men don’t cry,” he said in his head over and over like a mantra. He knew it was too late, but he refused to succumb.

 

I didn’t know. I will listen. If that is what you want.” she called out pulling the boy’s arm into a hug to stop him from leaving.

 

The contact was too much for Ranma. He wrenched his arm free. It was easy. She didn’t even stand a chance to stop him. He stepped away from her ready to leave her in the dust. He couldn’t allow her to see him like that.

 

Wait!” she yelled, desperation seeping into her tone. He couldn't care less. “I’ll hear you out, Ranma!”

 

The martial artist stopped. She called him Ranma. He did not dare to turn around. Not with the tears streaming down on his face. He heard her coming closer, the click of her shoes. He felt her take hold of his hand again. She was shaking. If it was from the cold or something else he did not know.

 

I will listen to what you have to say! Promise!” she said, hopeful. “Just stay... with me! Please!”

 

You sure you want to?” he asked.

 

Yes.”

 

Silence followed. Reaching an agreement was easy. Getting any words out was far more difficult. Ranma slowly turned around to face her, still clutching the white coat. He slowly draped the cloth over her shoulders. The girl grasped the edges of the winter gear and pulled it close. Her teeth were clattering. She glanced up at his tear-streaked face then redirected her gaze to his chest.

 

"Thank you!" she muttered. "You said you were not the only one who knew. Who were those other people?” she asked.

 

Ranma looked at the starry sky while thinking. “Well...” he said. “I know for a fact that the Amazons know and my old man. Ukyo too. I’m fairly sure Mr Tendo also knows about it all. Why Ryoga still has his balls I don’t understand.”

 

Yuka let out a chuckle at the remark.

 

Most of Nerima’s martial probably know about it all. “ Ranma continued after thinking it through. “It was not exactly a secret.”

 

If it was not a secret why didn't you tell her?” asked the girl.

 

I made an oath to keep Ryoga’s little oinking problem to myself. I didn’t know back then how things would turn out. I certainly didn’t think that she would choose him of all people as a pet!”

 

But why didn’t you just tell her?” asked the girl.

 

Ranma wiped an elusive tear away before shrugging. “At first? Because I was an idiot! I thought if I just snatched the pig from Akane’s room I can fix things. That, and I gave her so many hints it’s not even funny!” he replied.

 

I see,” responded Yuka. She was gazing at the boy’s chest. Ranma saw the longing in her eyes. It was back. “I guess you are not the only one at fault here,” she remarked. She chuckled. "Her own father! If she knew..."

 

Not that it makes things better,” he replied. “I’m her fiancé! I should have done the right thing from the start.”

 

Her lips curled up into a faint smile. “But you are the only one who accepts that they had a hand in the whole mess,” she said. “Which makes you already ten times better than everybody else involved.”

 

A pulse of a different kind ran through Ranma. His body reacted before he could rationalise or do anything against it. His hands rushed forward almost on their own as he pulled her close. She didn't resist and ended up leaning against him, her head nestled against his shoulder. Once his mind caught up with his own actions he was surprised to hear a content sigh. It was Yuka. She was not protesting his actions. Quite the contrary. She was enjoying it. He wished Akane would be more like her.

 

Now what about you Yuka. Your parents sounded quite upset about something when I dropped by at your place earlier.”

 

The brunette sighed. “Yeah… We had a family dinner. I kind of made a scene.” she replied.

 

Care to elaborate?” he asked. “It helped me. It will probably help you."

 

The girl snuggled against him. While she was still cold, it was slowly getting better. She lifted her gaze to him along with a hand. Her pinky finger extended. “No screaming at each other, ever?” she asked with a smile.

 

Ranma met her gesture with his own. He raised his hand. He also had a finger extended. “No screaming with each other,” he responded.

Their hands met. First only their pinkies. Their fingers soon intertwined.

----------

 

It was well past midnight when Ranma got back to the Tendo residence. In his arms, he was carrying precious cargo, a sleeping brunette. She was bundled up in the fluffy white coat he had brought for her to wear. Safe and warm. Her head was resting in his chest.

 

He jumped on top of the fence and peered into the garden. The house was quiet, dark, seemingly asleep. Ranma let out a sigh of relief. "So far so good!" he whispered as he took in the sight. The next problem was to get into the house. If he messed up and woke up the wrong person, or bumped into somebody he didn't want to... Things could and would turn rather ugly rather quickly for him.

 

He glanced at the sleeping girl. She was smiling. The way her lips, parted just the tiniest bit. It was so, so inviting. He resisted the need to lean down and kiss her. He tore his eyes from the sight in fear of succumbing to the desire.

 

"What am I thinking!?" he thought. "I've got half a dozen fiancés! More than anyone would want! And I'm..." he shook his head to clear his thoughts.

 

Once more he took in the ruined garden. Much of the fence was a loss, in need of a complete rebuild. The same was true for the dojo. This was the second time in six months. How Soun Tendo could finance it was beyond him. The grass was filled with craters and tears from the fight. It was damage that may need weeks if not months to heal.

 

He hopped from his perch and approached the back door. To his dismay he found it to be fixed. The repairman was good. There was not even a faint sign that a few days ago someone got punted through the wooden structure. He could only hope it was not locked.

 

The girl in his arms started to nestle. One of her hands found its way around his neck as she unconsciously sought the warmth of his body. Her face moved closer to his neck. He could now feel her breath against his skin. It was exquisite. A shiver ran across him. Images filled his mind which were quickly banished. He took a deep breath. His plan was another of his stunts. He knew how easily it could backfire. However, the girl had insisted that she'd rather sleep on the street than go back to her parents' house.

 

Ranma knew only one plausible alternative. Akane. He could only hope she would listen to him. If she refused. Well... he'd probably go on a long trip for a short time.

 

He approached the sliding door. Moonlight reflected off the polished glass. It was brand new although its chances to last the month or even the week was slim. Ranma carefully readjusted his hold on his human burden before he nudged the sliding door with his foot. To his joy, the entrance opened with barely a click. Somebody forgot or didn't bother to lock it. Although a burglar had to be either stupid or suicidal to work this area in general and go into this house in particular. To Ranma, it didn't really matter either way. He was in!

 

The main room of the house was dimly lit. The martial artist took in the sight with suspicion. He had trouble making things out in the darkness. If there was somebody hiding, ready to spring an ambush this was it. This was the place. He waited, ready to make a run for it if needed.

Nothing. Relief.

 

Now he only needed to make it to Akane's room. Past the kitchen and up the stairs. He made a quick prayer asking any god that would listen to help him just a little longer. At least until he deposits his precious cargo.

 

The wood of the floor seemed to creak with an unnatural force this night. Just a few more decibels more than he would have preferred. The stairs were even worse. "Why does the Damn floor decide to get really rowdy when I need to be quiet," he grumbled through clenched teeth.

 

After an agonizingly long time, he finally reached the top. From there he could see the wooden duck marking the room ahead as Akane's. He was at his destination. It was time for the hardest part. He had to keep cool and keep things from escalating.

 

He adjusted his grip again. The girl in his hand protested unconsciously. Seconds later she let out a content sigh as she settled down. Ranma couldn't help but smile. He was at Akane's door. He lifted a newly freed hand and knocked. There was no answer. He tried again, this time louder. No response. He tried it a third time. Still nothing. At this point, he decided it is for the best to enter. He knew it was risky and how many ways it can backfire. But it was worth a shot. And it was certainly safer than waking up half the house by making a racket.

 

The boy took a deep breath. He knew how ugly this could get. He reached out and grasped the handle. At the same time, the door seemed to come to life. It swung open revealing a groggy, sleep-deprived Akane.

 

The girl glared at him. She was about to unleash a verbal thrashing on him when she noticed his passenger. Her eyes narrowed to dangerous levels. The look she cast towards him. It promised murder and more. Ranma used his chance and pushed into her room.

 

"I can explain!" he said quickly not allowing his fiancé to jump to a conclusion. He knew he had to be quick about it. "Just hear me out! Please!" he said.

 

Akane glared at him, had hands balled into tiny fists. Most people would dismiss her action as cute. Ranma knew better. He knew the power she had stored within and what she was capable of once she decided to unleash it. "What are you doing with Yuka you pervert!?" she hissed. "What have you done to her!" she demanded.

 

"She’s only sleeping!” Ranma replied as he searched for a place where he could lay the girl down. “Sheesh, Akane! I’m starting to think that you are the perverted one always thinking about that…”

 

What did you say?” snapped the girl ready to unleash hell.

 

You heard me!” replied Ranma in a hushed voice. He didn’t want to wake the girl in his hands up. Seeing no other place he gently lowered the girl onto Akane’s sheets. “All you say is perverted this and perverted that. Yuka was out alone. She got into another fight with her folks so I decided to bring her here, to your room for the night. Or would you prefer if I took her to mine and my old man’s room?”

 

At this rebuttal, Akane went still. A weak 'Oh…' slipped through her lips as Ranma’s words settled in.

 

The brunette let out an unconscious protest when Ranma released her, but her smile returned shortly after when he brushed his hand across her hair and down her cheek.

 

The boy mirrored the smile before turning to the other girl in the room turning more serious. Without saying a word he kneeled down and leaned forward. His hands touched in from of him the ground forming a triangle. He gazed up at Akane. She looked down in shock. She knew what he was about to do. It was completely unlike her fiancé. “I can only do this in my own name.” he began. “I refuse to do it for the others who also knew,” he said with an even voice. Then he bowed. Deep. His forehead touched the ground.

 

It was unlike Genma’s Crouch of the Wild Tiger. Ranma performed it with dignity. He was honest. He stayed like that for several long seconds before sitting up. “I’m sorry,” he said.

 

Akane stood still. Unable to process what he had just done. It had come so suddenly.

 

Please take good care of her.” Ranma continued. “She’s a dear friend. The coat is yours I believe. Nabiki had it.” he informed.

 

With that said the boy stood up, and turned to leave, careful to adhere to strict ceremony. It was another thing that was completely unlike him.

 

Ranma!”

 

Yes Akane?” he replied turning back to her.

 

I… Yesterday morning I wanted to ask…” she went quiet. “Nn… Nothing. Good night Ranma.”

 

Good night! Sleep well.”

 

Ranma!”

 

Yes?”

 

Who are these others? You know, the ones who knew about the pig.”

 

Ranma closed his eyes. Contemplated. Then opened his mouth to answer.