Realism Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Yours Eternally ❯ Yours Eternally ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Yours Eternally
-
© 2005 Ohne Sie
-
 
 
 
It was a cold winter day. Aiden could see his breath in the air. The weather is bitterly appropriate, he thought, not knowing whether he should laugh or cry. He couldn't look at the people around him. If they spoke to him, he wouldn't listen. All he could think about was her. Amaya. All of these people…they were all here for her. None of them had ever liked him very much…only her. He heard the whispers around him, none of which were intelligible. He was lost in thought. He remembered.
 
How long ago was it? Five years? It must have been. Aiden had been a friendless freshman in high school. He never spoke to anyone out of fear of being mocked or ridiculed. Everyone hated him for reasons unknown to him. He couldn't wait to get out of high school, to get away from these people…but he had the suspicion that life after graduation would be even worse. As he sat in his seat in English class, he noticed someone sitting next to him, a girl he did not recognize. She must be new, he thought to himself. She'll be corrected by someone soon. He was right. At that moment another girl walked over to the new girl and whispered something. The new girl turned to look at the boy next to her. Aiden smiled bitterly to himself. I knew it. But the new girl smiled at him, then turned to the girl who had whispered in her ear and whispered something back. The girl looked offended, and then stomped off. The new girl smiled again at Aiden.
 
“My name is Amaya,” she said. “What's yours?”
 
“Aiden,” he mumbled. Why is she speaking to me? He could tell that the other students in the class were thinking the very same thing. He looked away nervously, not wanting to cause her any trouble. If she continued to speak to him, what would the others do to her? He didn't know, but he also didn't want the first person who was nice to him to get hurt.
 
“Why won't you look at me?” she asked. He didn't answer. “Please talk to me.”
 
“Why do you want to talk to me?” he asked, not bothering to answer her question.
 
“You seem nice. And I never do what people tell me to do,” she said, grinning in the direction of the girl who had whispered to her before. “So I think that we should be friends.”
 
Friends. Aiden shook his head. He hadn't had a friend since he had gotten to high school. All of his old friends had become his tormentors, or, at best, ignored him. He looked at Amaya, trying to figure out what she wanted from him. But her face looked so sincere. He found himself smiling. “Okay,” he said finally.
 
“Good!” Amaya smiled, clasping his hand in hers. “We're friends, then. That means I'll eat lunch with you today, okay? So you have to show me where you sit.”
 
“Oh…” Aiden bit his lip. “I don't eat in the cafeteria…not anymore.”
 
“Then where do you eat?” Amaya asked, smiling. “I'll go with you.”
 
“The library,” he replied. “I understand if you don't want to go. You should probably go to the cafeteria with the others…”
 
“No! I love the library.” Amaya let go of Aiden's hand as the bell rang and their teacher walked into the room. “Make sure you walk with me after class, though, okay?” she whispered, watching the teacher. Aiden nodded.
 
For months they sat together in English and then ate lunch in the library. Amaya never seemed to mind the stares and whispers directed at her. Whether it was because she was oblivious or defiant, Aiden was never sure, but he was always uneasy walking with her. He always expected someone to say something to Amaya openly, and that one day she would realize that what everyone told her was true: Aiden was strange. She never did, though. And one day in the library she asked him something he'd never expected.
 
“Aiden, I've been thinking…I really like you. A lot. So…would you like to be my boyfriend?” She smiled warmly, clasping her hand around his as she did the first day they met in English class.
 
Aiden was speechless. Why…? He stared at her, dumbfounded.
 
“I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't have asked,” Amaya said sadly. “You don't have to—“
 
“No! I mean…yes.” He stared at their hands. Then he felt a tight squeeze on the hand Amaya was holding.
 
“Really?” Amaya's eyes danced as she looked into Aiden's. “Thank you!” She hugged him. He gingerly hugged her back. Amaya pulled away and grinned. “I'm so happy…”
 
She remained happy for the rest of their high school years. They were always inseparable. There were a few instances where people tried to come between them, but the two of them stuck together like glue. Finally, they graduated. And then Aiden did something he'd never expected himself to do. He had spent the night before shopping for it, and had finally found the perfect one. He got down on one knee in front of Amaya and asked her to marry him. She leapt on top of him, smothering him with kisses while shouting “Yes!” at the top of her lungs. They both laughed together for several minutes, not minding the stares they received by the people around them.
 
They had planned on going to college together, but Aiden's mother became ill. Aiden told Amaya to go to college anyway, but she refused to go until he could. They stayed at Aiden's mother's side almost twenty-four hours a day until the day she died. Aiden's father had died when he was only four years old, and although his mother was almost as cruel to him as the children at school had been, she was his mother and he loved her. So when she died he was inconsolable for a very long time. The only thing that made the pain sufferable was that he knew Amaya was with him. She was there. She was the only person who had ever been. They were married only a month after his mother's death.
 
Aiden and Amaya were barred from enrolling in college again, when Amaya became ill as well. It was only a cold, however a very bad one. They finally got into college and did well their first semester. Then Amaya was sick again. Another cold…but this time it turned into pneumonia.
 
Aiden stayed with her constantly throughout her illness. At first Amaya seemed to be getting better. They made promises to each other for when Amaya got out of the hospital. Aiden would get her a kitten. After they graduated, they would have five children. They were promises they had every intention to fulfill. But they never got the chance. Amaya died a few weeks after arriving in the hospital. Her last words to him were “Please…be happy.”
 
That's where Aiden was now, at Amaya's funeral. His wife was dead. He had no friends in the world. Amaya's parents had never liked him. Aiden's entire world had died with Amaya, but he knew he had to live, even if the world was empty now. As Amaya's coffin was lowered into the ground, Aiden fought the urge to leap into that hole to be with her again. He still stared at the hole in the ground as everyone else left. He knelt down to say one last goodbye to the only person who had ever loved him, her last words echoing in his mind. “Please…be happy.”